Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

[1.2.3] Hack Slash Mine (Open-sourcing the mod! Working on a fantabulous new project!)

diablo magic rpg stat system dungeons

  • Please log in to reply
3427 replies to this topic

#2501

CharmanderIsBetter

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:37 PM

I'm sure that when this mod update, will be one of the tops mods! :)

Register or log in to remove.

#2502

zoroark333
  • Location: Why u stalking me?
  • Minecraft: zoroark333

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:40 PM

View PostCharmanderIsBetter, on 24 November 2012 - 07:37 PM, said:

I'm sure that when this mod update, will be one of the tops mods! Posted Image

It IS one of the top mods!

#2503

7H30R4
    7H30R4

    Tree Puncher

  • Members
  • 11 posts
  • Minecraft: Ripsand

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:16 AM

A couple other thoughts, I quickly scanned to see if these were mentioned already, sorry if I missed them:

First, there are two distinct vendor theft bugs.  First, when the vendor's inventory is full, you can shift click to sell an item, but keep the item, getting infinite money quickly.  Secondly, and this one is just as bad - you can steal an item by "swapping" it for a free item in your inventory, then when you place the free item you "pay" for it, but its free.

Wanted to touch on generation - The majority of my work has been in terrain generation, a lot of that in MineCraft (though a significant amount in my own title as well).  I'd be quite thrilled, honestly, to be able to provide some new generation code.

Secondly, me and a friend geek out on rebalancing (you'll notice he (Glitchfinder) is responsible for 90% of mcmmo's recent progress)) and we'd love to have a crack at this system as far as the number crunching goes (and scaling for higher levels).

So, enough selling myself.  Here's a few other things I'd really like to see, and I could implement them for you if you'd like:

Auction House - the item system begs for it.  I assume the natural way to do this would be either to have "green" villagers (the op-spawn only ones) be auctioneers, or to have a block that servers could choose whether or not to be craftable (mailbox, perhaps?).

Expanded crafting system - Maybe something mmo-like, rather than a grid layout, have required resources and produce a product with a random enchant (biased random, based on skill?).  Maybe a list-view recipe setup, of course fueled primarily by new mob drops.

Bows with separate melee damage - rather than applying their damage via melee, or not, have a melee stat on the bow as well.  This way players could choose between a max damage, but nerfed melee bow, or a so-so bow that is fair in both.  Or some other combination.

Character slots - this would be easier than it seems - basically store position and inventory per character, rather than per account, and teleport and load inventory once they select a slot.  Also, have an optional argument for "skin url" on character creation, defaulting to their Minecraft skin if left blank.

Level restrictions on upper tier gear.  Pretty straight forward, so I can't hand a level 1 character level 50 gear and him become an insta-god.  Maybe it would only apply to new items past this point?

Anyway, that's about it.

#2504

Frizzil
    Frizzil

    Redstone Miner

  • Members
  • 519 posts
  • Location: Tuscaloosa, AL
  • Minecraft: Frizzil

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:18 AM

View Postvidplace7, on 24 November 2012 - 12:07 AM, said:

Hey Frizzil!

You are probably sick of hearing people asking this... Anyhow, upon your update, do you plan to release a bukkit ported build of Hack/Mine?

Thanks for an awesome mod! Posted Image


Posted ImageWAAR EAGLE!!Posted Image

At some point, that was the original plan-- however, with the new Modding API coming out... well, we'll just wait and see Posted Image

Also, ROLL TIDE, HOW'S IT FEEL TO LOSE 49 TO ZILCH?!?!?!?

View PostTampleerovez, on 24 November 2012 - 09:29 AM, said:

I would be very happy if you could make your  translation mod into Russian, your mod without this popular I'll do a translation for the Russian servers who want to put your mod, though it was far from perfect, and I do not think you respond so quickly to my post and I still have to ask you a question, you have an official server for your mod?

No, there isn't currently an official server for the mod (though there are some very good ones hosted by Lukeycraft and Aegis I believe, I highly recommend them.)

Awesome, just send it my way whenever you're done!

View PostVehin77, on 24 November 2012 - 07:15 AM, said:

I have a suggestion to add. I think if you found out a way to have individual characters in their own worlds, you know, what we have now, and add a box to put in a name for that one player. Like World of Warcraft or something. Bob on one world, Joe on another. I would be amazed.

Eh, well that might conflict with the long-term goal of having characters completely independent of worlds and stored online, hehe.

View Post7H30R4, on 24 November 2012 - 02:18 PM, said:

Frizzil, I'm an experienced Minecraft modder.  I was laying out a mod similar to yours, and incidentally I stumbled upon yours.  Rather than competing with you, I'd really like to contribute to H/M.  I think you've got a wonderful mod and I'd like to help it become *the* RPG mod.

Looks like you could use some help with getting it updated and bugsquashed.  I could handle both these tasks for you, if you'd like.

Mind if I help?

[Edit] I should mention I have some time I could dedicate every day.

What have you worked on before?
Posted Image

#2505

7H30R4
    7H30R4

    Tree Puncher

  • Members
  • 11 posts
  • Minecraft: Ripsand

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:38 AM

[Edit] Redacted, neither of us need the politics. I'll proceed with my own project. Posted Image

Edited by 7H30R4, 26 November 2012 - 03:59 AM.


#2506

Frizzil
    Frizzil

    Redstone Miner

  • Members
  • 519 posts
  • Location: Tuscaloosa, AL
  • Minecraft: Frizzil

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:58 AM



Spitfire just interviewed me about the current status of Hack/Mine!  We talk about the progress of the update, approximately when it will be released, Spellscript, the Area system, and more!

Woop woop.
Posted Image

#2507

Spitfire25565

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:23 AM

View PostFrizzil, on 26 November 2012 - 01:58 AM, said:



Spitfire just interviewed me about the current status of Hack/Mine!  We talk about the progress of the update, approximately when it will be released, Spellscript, the Area system, and more!

Woop woop.

I feel like a celebrity!


#2508

pbandjtime28
  • Location: Under your bed waiting for midnight.
  • Minecraft: pbandjtime28

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:32 AM

When I click any item in my inventory is wont let me drag it and it goes into my upper inventory and I can't get it back into my hot bar.
Any help?
Posted Image

#2509

Megacomet79

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:31 PM

Greetings, Frizzil. I have been somewhat of a fan of this mod for a good while, and with recent confirmations that the mod is going to be worked on again, I would just like to share my very long-winded constructive criticism, and what I feel should be added to the mod.

1. The Class/Skill/Stat/Whatever system:

Currently, this system really does need some fine-tuning. The Race/Class selection is fine, but what needs improvement right now is the skills and stats themselves. Skills, I believe, should not all be unlocked at once, as they are now. Rather, most of the skills the player begins with (with a few exceptions) should be in the spell book GUI, as "Discovered" skills. At every level, including level one, the player gets a single "Skill Point", or whatever you wish to call it. Skill points would be used to 1.) unlock skills discovered in spell books, a feature I believe you are planning, and 2.) to upgrade unlocked skills. From there, other skills would be found in spell books. Skills, upon being initially unlocked, would be somewhat weak, and upgrades of those skills will make them more powerful. However, there can be exceptions to these, more simplistic skills such as leap, which only have one tier. I also think it would be neat if certain skills require the player to have a certain level of a stat. For example, the skill "Generic Bolt" could require level 15 Intelligence, and level 23 Wisdom.

As for stats, I believe they should be tinkered with a little. In my opinion, every stat should have its own advantage to every class. Strength could increase general attack power a little, but still primarily increase melee damage, and could allow the use of heavier armors. Dexterity needs some of its perks taken off and moved to Agility or something, because it is quite clearly over-powered. Like before, it should increase Ranged damage, and critical hit chance. In replacement of attack speed and defense, it could also make ranged attacks more accurate, giving a reason for mages to use it. Agility should increase attack speed, movement speed, and even a chance of dodging an attack, but these would be relatively subtle per level, to make things balanced. Intelligence, if it does not already, should noticeably increase elemental damage, in addition to its current perks. This gives other classes than the mage a reason to use it. Wisdom and Fortitude are fine as-is, though it may not be a bad idea to add defense gain to Fortitude instead of Dexterity, however the warrior's skills should be more mana-taxing, so that he needs to upgrade his Wisdom before he can incessantly spam spells. The goal of this would be to make it that, though classes are more encouraged to go towards certain stats, they would also have some reason to go towards others, based on their play style.

Therefore, this overhaul of skills and stats (It's not as big as it looks, trust me), would add much more class customization to the mod. I was going to add more "Changes" to propose but, looking back at this post, it is long-winded enough. I'll get to those later. I wish you the best of luck with this mod, you have made a great one.

#2510

Tampleerovez

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:18 PM

View PostMegacomet79, on 26 November 2012 - 02:31 PM, said:

Greetings, Frizzil. I have been somewhat of a fan of this mod for a good while, and with recent confirmations that the mod is going to be worked on again, I would just like to share my very long-winded constructive criticism, and what I feel should be added to the mod.

1. The Class/Skill/Stat/Whatever system:

Currently, this system really does need some fine-tuning. The Race/Class selection is fine, but what needs improvement right now is the skills and stats themselves. Skills, I believe, should not all be unlocked at once, as they are now. Rather, most of the skills the player begins with (with a few exceptions) should be in the spell book GUI, as "Discovered" skills. At every level, including level one, the player gets a single "Skill Point", or whatever you wish to call it. Skill points would be used to 1.) unlock skills discovered in spell books, a feature I believe you are planning, and 2.) to upgrade unlocked skills. From there, other skills would be found in spell books. Skills, upon being initially unlocked, would be somewhat weak, and upgrades of those skills will make them more powerful. However, there can be exceptions to these, more simplistic skills such as leap, which only have one tier. I also think it would be neat if certain skills require the player to have a certain level of a stat. For example, the skill "Generic Bolt" could require level 15 Intelligence, and level 23 Wisdom.

As for stats, I believe they should be tinkered with a little. In my opinion, every stat should have its own advantage to every class. Strength could increase general attack power a little, but still primarily increase melee damage, and could allow the use of heavier armors. Dexterity needs some of its perks taken off and moved to Agility or something, because it is quite clearly over-powered. Like before, it should increase Ranged damage, and critical hit chance. In replacement of attack speed and defense, it could also make ranged attacks more accurate, giving a reason for mages to use it. Agility should increase attack speed, movement speed, and even a chance of dodging an attack, but these would be relatively subtle per level, to make things balanced. Intelligence, if it does not already, should noticeably increase elemental damage, in addition to its current perks. This gives other classes than the mage a reason to use it. Wisdom and Fortitude are fine as-is, though it may not be a bad idea to add defense gain to Fortitude instead of Dexterity, however the warrior's skills should be more mana-taxing, so that he needs to upgrade his Wisdom before he can incessantly spam spells. The goal of this would be to make it that, though classes are more encouraged to go towards certain stats, they would also have some reason to go towards others, based on their play style.

Therefore, this overhaul of skills and stats (It's not as big as it looks, trust me), would add much more class customization to the mod. I was going to add more "Changes" to propose but, looking back at this post, it is long-winded enough. I'll get to those later. I wish you the best of luck with this mod, you have made a great one.
Хоть я и пишу тут на русском языке,но возможно кто то меня поймёт  , верхний пост очень даже хорошо описывает что я жду ри данного мода в будущем,на сей раз мне просто лень было переводить сие сообщение :) так что прошу меня извинить.

#2511

Deadekko
    Deadekko

    Tree Puncher

  • Members
  • 18 posts
  • Minecraft: Deadekko

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:22 PM

-decided to delete what was said so ignore this-

#2512

Frizzil
    Frizzil

    Redstone Miner

  • Members
  • 519 posts
  • Location: Tuscaloosa, AL
  • Minecraft: Frizzil

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:57 PM

View PostMegacomet79, on 26 November 2012 - 02:31 PM, said:

Greetings, Frizzil. I have been somewhat of a fan of this mod for a good while, and with recent confirmations that the mod is going to be worked on again, I would just like to share my very long-winded constructive criticism, and what I feel should be added to the mod.

1. The Class/Skill/Stat/Whatever system:

Currently, this system really does need some fine-tuning. The Race/Class selection is fine, but what needs improvement right now is the skills and stats themselves. Skills, I believe, should not all be unlocked at once, as they are now. Rather, most of the skills the player begins with (with a few exceptions) should be in the spell book GUI, as "Discovered" skills. At every level, including level one, the player gets a single "Skill Point", or whatever you wish to call it. Skill points would be used to 1.) unlock skills discovered in spell books, a feature I believe you are planning, and 2.) to upgrade unlocked skills. From there, other skills would be found in spell books. Skills, upon being initially unlocked, would be somewhat weak, and upgrades of those skills will make them more powerful. However, there can be exceptions to these, more simplistic skills such as leap, which only have one tier. I also think it would be neat if certain skills require the player to have a certain level of a stat. For example, the skill "Generic Bolt" could require level 15 Intelligence, and level 23 Wisdom.

As for stats, I believe they should be tinkered with a little. In my opinion, every stat should have its own advantage to every class. Strength could increase general attack power a little, but still primarily increase melee damage, and could allow the use of heavier armors. Dexterity needs some of its perks taken off and moved to Agility or something, because it is quite clearly over-powered. Like before, it should increase Ranged damage, and critical hit chance. In replacement of attack speed and defense, it could also make ranged attacks more accurate, giving a reason for mages to use it. Agility should increase attack speed, movement speed, and even a chance of dodging an attack, but these would be relatively subtle per level, to make things balanced. Intelligence, if it does not already, should noticeably increase elemental damage, in addition to its current perks. This gives other classes than the mage a reason to use it. Wisdom and Fortitude are fine as-is, though it may not be a bad idea to add defense gain to Fortitude instead of Dexterity, however the warrior's skills should be more mana-taxing, so that he needs to upgrade his Wisdom before he can incessantly spam spells. The goal of this would be to make it that, though classes are more encouraged to go towards certain stats, they would also have some reason to go towards others, based on their play style.

Therefore, this overhaul of skills and stats (It's not as big as it looks, trust me), would add much more class customization to the mod. I was going to add more "Changes" to propose but, looking back at this post, it is long-winded enough. I'll get to those later. I wish you the best of luck with this mod, you have made a great one.

I appreciate the constructive criticism, it's hard to get enough lately, actually.

Spell progression is definitely planned, so no worries.  The existing system is just a shadow of things to come (if you're interested, I'd do a search on this thread for "spell books", there was a lot of interesting discussion regarding the future of spells.)

View PostTampleerovez, on 26 November 2012 - 07:18 PM, said:

Хоть я и пишу тут на русском языке,но возможно кто то меня поймёт  , верхний пост очень даже хорошо описывает что я жду ри данного мода в будущем,на сей раз мне просто лень было переводить сие сообщение Posted Image так что прошу меня извинить.

I like the cut of your jib.

Just kidding, I'll Google translate you.

View PostTampleerovez, on 26 November 2012 - 07:18 PM, said:

(Translation paraphrased)
Even though I am writing in Russian, maybe someone will understand me.  [Megacomet's post] is a very good description of what I'm waiting for in the future.  This time, I'm just too lazy to translate these things, so please excuse me.

Lazy bones!

Is this something people bring up frequently on servers?  I do want to give the people what they want Posted Image
Posted Image

#2513

Eternalmars
  • Minecraft: eternalmars

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:57 PM

Hey Frizzil may i ask a question unrelated to this
How hard was it to become a modder and would you recommend it for someone to become one

#2514

Megacomet79

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:45 PM

Greetings, yet again. I'm glad to see that people actually like my opinions, allow me to celebrate by giving more:

2. Health Regeneration

One minor inconvenience I have found while playing this mod is that on several occasions I would find myself on low life after just managing to clear a dungeon room, and then have to wait several minutes before it regenerates. This is simply because there is no readily accessible way to make your health regenerate faster. This would be a pretty simple fix,

1. Make Health and Regeneration potions available in shops.

2. Make food heal a small portion of your health.

This would essentially allow players to regain health between fights, reducing the waiting time. Not only would it do that, but it would give food a use, and would give players more reason to trade in shops, thus making money more useful. So long that the new regeneration methods aren't too powerful or cheap, as the purpose is to reduce obnoxious waiting times, or help out in a tight situation. This should not allow a player to, at level 10, run gung-ho into a level 20 dungeon, consume his endless supply of potions, and walk out alive.

3. Weapons

Currently, the weapon variety seems to be a little bit disorganized. As for melee weapons, they are good enough so far, as I fear adding new mechanics to melee weapons for the sake of variety just might make them unnecessarily complex or overpowered. However, combat with melee weapons is still a wee bit "Flail stick in air until something dies". The inclusion of a proper, but not too complex, dodging or blocking system may mix things up a bit. In addition, which I have stated before, warriors rarely seem to run out of mana, even when using their spells repeatedly. I would recommend that warrior spells are made more taxing on mana, just to balance things out.

As for bows, I believe there should be a bit of tweaking here and there. I do see that there are short bows and long bows, but there still seems to be a bit of linearity (though I may very well be wrong, as I have not played this class all too much.) This can be fixed by, first of all, widening the gap between the two weapons. The point of this would be so that a player could use all bow types viably, but differently. I believe that long bows should have a slow fire rate, but have the longest range, and do more damage. The short bow would have the highest fire rate, but not shoot as far (as they already do), and not do as much damage. Also, I propose the addition of a third ranged weapon, the crossbow, which like the others would fire arrows. This would have the slowest fire rate, and have poor range, but do the most damage.

Finally, there are the mage's wands. I can tell that there are features planned to give this weapon more variety, with its different elements, but quite obviously they have not been implemented yet. The way I see it, one could go about two viable ways of doing this. The first way would be in which all the current elemental attacks are kept, each having a single, unique mechanic, as well as perhaps having elemental advantages over certain enemies or in certain biomes (a feature I can tell is already planned.) So, for example, the wand with "Generic Fire Attack", would have a minor area of effect, and be more powerful against Roflcondas. While, the wand with "Generic Bolt With Some Poison Attack" could do damage over time, and be more powerful in jungle biomes. However, if one would rather be numerically consistent, one could also narrow the wand types down to three archetypes, each with much more varying mechanics.

Well, I have strained myself enough for now, opinions on my ideas are welcome. And again, best of luck with the mod!

#2515

Spitfire25565

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:17 AM

View Postpbandjtime28, on 26 November 2012 - 02:32 AM, said:

When I click any item in my inventory is wont let me drag it and it goes into my upper inventory and I can't get it back into my hot bar.
Any help?
are you using the 0.6.0 dev build or the 0.5.3 build?


#2516

FelixZero
    FelixZero

    Gold Miner

  • Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 454 posts
  • Location: :3
  • Minecraft: Felixzero

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:58 AM

All of my happy is contained in this mod.

I hope the next update comes with a lot of textures.
This mod has been the best mod to play and texture, all at the same time.
Posted Image

#2517

Demotron
    Demotron

    Tree Puncher

  • Members
  • 34 posts
  • Location: Middle of Finnish wilderness
  • Minecraft: Demotron

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:12 PM

Got finally Java working about late in the summer, and also got finally playing this mod... What can I say? I TOTALLY LIKE THIS MOD!!
I give you 4/5 diamonds! Don't worry, get that missing diamond when you have finished it a little, like adding those promised area purifications, capes, and othser cool stuff. I am waiting. Patiently.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#2518

sylvertech

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:28 PM

Just thought I'ld say I loved the mod.

I would have loved if you updated it weekly like Mojang does with their abomination,
but I guess once ever six months should be enough. lol.

Thanks anyway. Posted Image

#2519

Eternalmars
  • Minecraft: eternalmars

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:49 PM

View Postsylvertech, on 28 November 2012 - 08:28 PM, said:

Just thought I'ld say I loved the mod.

I would have loved if you updated it weekly like Mojang does with their abomination,
but I guess once ever six months should be enough. lol.

Thanks anyway. Posted Image
Mojang devotes himself to making minecraft frizz has academics and other things to do he cant do. Mojang can spend everyday doing minecraft and has many people doing coding so thats why it takes time for frizz to do everything since he is one guy with a busy life

View PostDemotron, on 28 November 2012 - 04:12 PM, said:

Got finally Java working about late in the summer, and also got finally playing this mod... What can I say? I TOTALLY LIKE THIS MOD!!
I give you 4/5 diamonds! Don't worry, get that missing diamond when you have finished it a little, like adding those promised area purifications, capes, and othser cool stuff. I am waiting. Patiently.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
No worry's its going to be cool no matter what comes out

View PostMegacomet79, on 26 November 2012 - 11:45 PM, said:

Greetings, yet again. I'm glad to see that people actually like my opinions, allow me to celebrate by giving more:

2. Health Regeneration

One minor inconvenience I have found while playing this mod is that on several occasions I would find myself on low life after just managing to clear a dungeon room, and then have to wait several minutes before it regenerates. This is simply because there is no readily accessible way to make your health regenerate faster. This would be a pretty simple fix,

1. Make Health and Regeneration potions available in shops.

2. Make food heal a small portion of your health.

This would essentially allow players to regain health between fights, reducing the waiting time. Not only would it do that, but it would give food a use, and would give players more reason to trade in shops, thus making money more useful. So long that the new regeneration methods aren't too powerful or cheap, as the purpose is to reduce obnoxious waiting times, or help out in a tight situation. This should not allow a player to, at level 10, run gung-ho into a level 20 dungeon, consume his endless supply of potions, and walk out alive.

3. Weapons

Currently, the weapon variety seems to be a little bit disorganized. As for melee weapons, they are good enough so far, as I fear adding new mechanics to melee weapons for the sake of variety just might make them unnecessarily complex or overpowered. However, combat with melee weapons is still a wee bit "Flail stick in air until something dies". The inclusion of a proper, but not too complex, dodging or blocking system may mix things up a bit. In addition, which I have stated before, warriors rarely seem to run out of mana, even when using their spells repeatedly. I would recommend that warrior spells are made more taxing on mana, just to balance things out.

As for bows, I believe there should be a bit of tweaking here and there. I do see that there are short bows and long bows, but there still seems to be a bit of linearity (though I may very well be wrong, as I have not played this class all too much.) This can be fixed by, first of all, widening the gap between the two weapons. The point of this would be so that a player could use all bow types viably, but differently. I believe that long bows should have a slow fire rate, but have the longest range, and do more damage. The short bow would have the highest fire rate, but not shoot as far (as they already do), and not do as much damage. Also, I propose the addition of a third ranged weapon, the crossbow, which like the others would fire arrows. This would have the slowest fire rate, and have poor range, but do the most damage.

Finally, there are the mage's wands. I can tell that there are features planned to give this weapon more variety, with its different elements, but quite obviously they have not been implemented yet. The way I see it, one could go about two viable ways of doing this. The first way would be in which all the current elemental attacks are kept, each having a single, unique mechanic, as well as perhaps having elemental advantages over certain enemies or in certain biomes (a feature I can tell is already planned.) So, for example, the wand with "Generic Fire Attack", would have a minor area of effect, and be more powerful against Roflcondas. While, the wand with "Generic Bolt With Some Poison Attack" could do damage over time, and be more powerful in jungle biomes. However, if one would rather be numerically consistent, one could also narrow the wand types down to three archetypes, each with much more varying mechanics.

Well, I have strained myself enough for now, opinions on my ideas are welcome. And again, best of luck with the mod!
Yes food right now has absolutely no use at all but frizz has some ideas floating in his mind and as for the Weapons right now its pretty early since this mod is in alpha your ideas are good though Posted Image

#2520

CharmanderIsBetter

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:02 PM

Squirrel, i will put faith in you.