• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

[1.2.3] Hack Slash Mine (Open-sourcing the mod! Working on a fantabulous new project!)

diablo magic rpg stat system dungeons

• Please log in to reply
3427 replies to this topic

Frizzil
    Frizzil

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 519 posts
  • Minecraft: Frizzil

Posted 26 July 2011 - 05:04 AM

POPULAR

Posted Image

A WIP multiplayer hack n' slash mod for Minecraft

6/1/2013: Customizable skill trees have been added!  Also, Spellscript now has access to Java classes and libraries, in addition to generic types!  Check below for downloads (or go download the Technic Launcher!)...

I do a tech demo of my new, voxel-y space exploration project: Nebulous Rax!  I show off the high fidelity voxel engine I've been working on over the past year, and throw in an arrangement of what will likely be the game's theme song.  Subscribe for updates!

The Yogscast did a review of Hack/Mine!

Need a server to play on?  I tend to bounce around these.  You'll need the client installed.

Also, the Offical Hack/Mine Wiki is a useful resource, and as always, needs contributin'!  This should be your first stop for "how-to" information, especially regarding customization.

Status Update (3/15/2014)

Soooo I just uploaded a tech demo of the new project, along with an arrangement of what will likely be the game's theme song on the guitar.  Check above for the video -- enjoy!

For now, I've decided on the name of "Nebulous Rax" for the project.  I'll get a website and things up soon enough, in addition to getting Hack/Mine open source and available (will be a lot of work!)

Stay tuned!

Status Update!?!? (3/2/2014)

Synopsis:  I'm retiring Hack/Mine!  I'm instead working on a time-traveling, space-exploration Dragon-Ball-inspired voxel game!  Read on for details...

Yo yo yo dawgs, it's update time!  Some sad and probably already-clearly-evident news... followed by some exciting news!

I'm making it official at this point -- Hack/Mine isn't going to be receiving any feature updates in the near future.  I know, I know, it's sad, if not already obvious.  I'll likely be open sourcing the project, so people can fix bugs and take advantage of my work in their own projects.  (That syntax-highlighted IDE for code comes to mind.)  As much of a passion project as Hack/Mine was, I've basically outgrown it as a developer, and have hence moved on to projects where I have room to truly flourish and be creative without the limitations of being within a Minecraft mod.  Additionally, beginning my career as a developer on EQNext Landmark has naturally consumed a lot of time that I previously would have devoted to additional projects, like Hack/Mine.  So, sad day.

I had earlier imagined implementing some kind of economic model with Hack/Mine, so server owners and content-creators could make their own action-RPG variants and charge for them -- I'm glad I had indicated I might not do it, because after some soul-searching and hands-on experience in the games industry, I've decided against it.  Why?  Simply put, I'm not convinced strongly enough of a customizable action-RPG economy's appeal, and my heart's not really in it at this point.

HOWEVER!

It's not all bad -- I'm working on a new project... set in a voxel world!  Also set in space!  And also involving time travel!  And the player will wield power on the scale of DBZ, if not more!  And it's gonna have fantashtical music I'm writing!  And it leverages the work I did on Hack/Mine, among other things!  And it's definitely not gonna be like all those horrid Minecraft clones everyone and their grandma once attempted to make, at all!

To summarize, the current plan is to have a single-player/potentially co-op RPG set in a universe whose aesthetic is reminiscent of that in Dragon Ball, and both dialogue and exploration elements inspired by Star Control II.  The game will consist of voxels, space-exploration, a trippy story, astronomical power, and most likely a third-person combat system.  The intent is for galactic travel to be "seamless", in that you can freely navigate between planet surfaces without hitting some kinda boring interface or anything -- just up and at 'em, vamoose!  And all the while, you'll be investigating the plot of the game, gathering power, battling space-tyrants with demi-god complexes, and attempting to save the galaxy from a plot-point yet to be revealed...

In terms of development, I'll have a tech-demo and things up soon enough-- however, to promote some confidence, I'll go ahead and list off what I have: essentially, I'm getting a lot of code reuse out of my work on Hack/Mine and other projects I've experimented with over the last 2-3 years, written in Java.  Specifically:
  • Over the past several months, I've been creating a voxel engine with a strong emphasis on visual fidelity.  The general appearance, texturing, lighting, etc are similar to Minecraft's; they're just faaaaar more efficient, meaning the blocks are far more numerous.  It'll currently do 5 million+ blocks on my high-end desktop and 1.4 million+ on my MacBook Pro, at playable framerates.  This is mostly due to employing OpenGL 3.0, rather than a version before 2, as Minecraft does... in addition to some clever implementation, I like to think Posted Image.  It'll run on 90+% of systems registered on Steam, so there shouldn't be any compatibility concerns.  I'm still seeing how much more fidelity I can eek out of it -- however, for a textured block system, I have yet to see one that rivals mine in performance, so I'm feeling pretty cocky!  (Though one may very well exist, just sayin'.)  Anyhow, there's still a *lot* of work to be done, but I feel like it's coming along well!

Here's a snapshot on my laptop (which is a little much for it at around 10 FPS, but hey, tech demo!): Posted Image
  • I also recently implemented a fast, hardware-accelerated method for rendering "bendy blocks".  Basically, imagine if all the models in Minecraft could flex their limbs about in arbitrary ways... hehehe.  You can't see them moving smoothly obviously, but here's a screenshot of a jillion waggly cubes doin' their thing: Posted Image
  • I'm writing a space-body simulator, which accurately simulates heavenly bodies, their seasons, temperatures, gravity, etc, which it will do as you progress through the game and explore the galaxy.  When I say "simulate", I mean it actually computes the effects of gravity, black-body radiation, and more to come on the planets, stars, and moons, without any strict notion of structure.  In terms of precision, it can currently simulate a diameter of about 9x10^13 parsecs (about 3200 times the diameter of the observable universe), without noticeable error as your screen shrinks down to the diameter of the Earth.  How much it can actually simulate efficiently, though, is another matter... assuming you don't own a super cluster Posted Image  It'll do 8000+ entities realtime on my laptop, and I'm still optimizing by leaps and bounds-- sadly, Java makes all this particularly challenging.

Anyhow, the current plan is for you to be able to manipulate/depend on aspects of the simulation as you play the game Posted Image  I'm not committing entirely to a hardcore simulation yet, however, as I'm still toying with the idea from a mechanical perspective-- I've thought of some awesome and trippy things this enables you to do, but just making sure its worth the future development overhead, and pondering if there aren't additional trippy things to be done with it.

Here's a galactic arrangement of many star systems, with the underlying, partitioning data structure highlighted: Posted Image

Here's a zoom up on the center of the galaxy, with names shown: Posted Image

Finally, here's a planetary system, with temperatures displayed in degrees Kelvin (they're actually color coded by temperature already):
    Posted Image

It's hard to visualize everything being simulated at once, since the distance between stars and planets are many orders of magnitude apart and thus can't really be viewed at once, but you get the idea Posted Image  There's a strong chance I'll be transitioning to a 3D simulation in the future-- it wouldn't be too hard with my setup, it's really just a design question.
  • A LOT of music I've written over the course of years.  Basically, I write, sing, and play a lot of classical-ish guitar (I'm not going to commit myself to any particular style, I'm weird.)  I've already written a few flagship-esque melodies, and I'll try and upload videos of them, in addition to more tech details as time goes on.
  • An overview of the plot!  I'm still storyboarding things and remaining highly uncommitted on these details -- however, here are some loose character descriptions, names intentionally omitted:
    • I've currently decided on two protagonists, boy and girl, who you'll witness growing from children with superhuman ability to adults of legendary status, in an episodic fashion over the course of the game.  The girl is characterized by the wind, and is gifted with the ability to teleport to significant "places", initially unaware of the notion of planets and space.  She matures from a lighthearted child into an optimist and idealist, and eventually turns into a self-reliant champion of liberty and freedom.  The boy I'm still figuring out, but-- he will be a jokester and skeptic, brooding and moody, and is eventually convicted of the girl's ideals in a culminating way.  He has a superpower, which I shan't reveal for now.  Of course, there will probably be a tasteful romantic element between the two characters-- naturally!
    • An amorphous, doppelganger-y, bio-scavenging space tyrant with a demi-god complex, a perverse sense of humor, and a role as early villain.  For mysterious reasons, he is crusading through the galaxy, genociding select intelligent lifeforms in a number of epic ways.  He generally takes the form of a tall, wacky, lanky humanoid wearing beatnik shades, purely because he's awesome.  As his emotions flare and he viscerally attacks his foes, his form loosens in frightening ways, revealing his terrifyingly inhuman nature.

Millennia ago, a planet-exploding space-probe-fortress began exterminating traces of his species, which had previously consumed a large sector of the universe-- having survived annihilation by learning to selectively hide himself from the planet-cracker, he acquired the ability to explode planets at will by merely leaving bits of his lifeform on them.  He remembers little of his past so long ago.
    • A spaceship with the personality of a forlorn child, who doggishly stalks the protagonists until a critical point of emotional vulnerability occurs, when it reveals itself and bids they explore the galaxy inside its hull.  It henceforth acts as an incompetent parent towards the two.  I currently envision it having the voice of Neptr from Adventure Time, singing emotionally-driven, subtley creepy songs rather occasionally.
    • An anthropomorphic crocodile with not only superhuman strength, which is of origin similar to the protagonists', but the gift of "perfect sight", in that he can see accurately over ANY distance, so long as his vision isn't obscured.  He insecurely pushes forth a bad**s, heroic "To Kill A Mockingbird" vibe, and employs his gift of physics-defyingly-perfect sight as the universe's greatest sniper... He is extremely attached and dependent on his rifle, having honed his technique on it for centuries.  Of course, he constantly forgets it in places, because that's just hilarious.  (No, there won't be any fetch quests for the rifle-- quell your fears!)  His ability to see across the vast expanse of space will be a crucial tool, in awesome ways I'm still discovering actually!  He will be a significant, "neutral" character, with more leanings towards the light than dark.
    In terms of "feel", the story will begin as a lighthearted exploration via the girl's ability to teleport -- the story will sporadically and instantaneously mature and darken as it progresses, and power trips and mega-reveals will abound as you play the roles of the two main protagonists.  The idea is to take a children's tale and crank it up to "surreal and dark", only to flip it on its head through the lead characters' sheer virtue, determination, and talent.
Annnnywho, this has been your quarterly Frizzil report.  I'll try and get videos up soon, and try to leak details in an entertaining, mysterious, and hopefully hype-inducing fashion.  YOU HAVE BEEN UPDATED.

QUICK UPDATE: Just pushed a bugfix for Hack/Mine, should resolve the village crash and a few other things.  Check the Downloads and Instructions section to get started!  (OR, go grab the ultra-convenient Technic Platform!)

Prior Status Updates:
Spoiler:

Download and Instructions:
Spoiler:

How to Play!
Spoiler:

Help/FAQ
Spoiler:

Compatible Mods
Spoiler:

Bug Reporting and Known Bugs
Spoiler:

Ooh, ooh, I have an idea!  I want to help!
Spoiler:

Overview

Imagine battling hordes of monsters with your friends... one friend leaps into the fray, sluggin' Creepers left and right; another channels walls of ice, stemming the tides of darkness; yet another showers arrows from above while leaping amongst the treetops; your team is a force to be reckoned with.  Suddenly, a massive dragon encroaches over the horizon-- you know you're not yet powerful enough to defeat it, so your party flees to the nearest shelter... a decrepit stairwell.  It's the dungeon you've been preparing for!  You weren't planning on exploring it yet, but with a dragon lingering by the entrance, you have no choice.  The howls of demons resonate through the twisting caverns...  you're uncertain of what pales you most, the countless traps that await you, or the raging Minotaur, Kul-Sheth, said to live deep within.  Unabated, you lead your party into the gaping maw, certain the gods know your plight...  Suddenly, a monstrous form in the shape of a chicken glimpses through the shadows!  A cockatrice?  For a second you thought the maker of this mod would be stupid enough to include a "dire chicken" mob.  Incorrectly, you assure yourself Frizzil is a rational human being, and press on.

Hack/Mine is a customizable, action-RPG hack n' slash mod for Minecraft (like Diablo II or Torchlight) with an emphasis on teamwork, twitch, and strategy.  It currently features sprawling, randomly generated dungeons, randomly generated loot, a live combat display and radar, a stat system with unique mechanics, a customizable class system with utterly scriptable spells and skill trees, "Areas" comprised of multiple chunks with a myriad of randomized features like mob compositions (soon to include fog, color schemes, and more), many new mobs and rare spawns with more to come, a new dimension that shall remain mysterious, a scriptable NPC dialog system that's still in its initial phases, NPC vendors, script blocks (command blocks that can run actual code), in-game creation of console scripts, an overhauled key binding system, and a heck of a lot more.  A lot of this is facilitated by Spellscript, a soon-to-be-independent Minecraft mod that lets you mod Minecraft in-game (not to mention a fully-fledged in-game Spellscript IDE).

It should be emphasized that customization is transferred over the network, so clients only have to log into your server to appreciate your homemade classes, spells, and more Posted Image

The future holds ubermobs (large bosses that must be fought/negotiated with as a team), a questing system, much more content, increased customization, and... maybe a plot, haha.  It might even feature an original soundtrack (assuming I don't put my music in another game altogether!)

The mod's officially in the alpha stages, and development will continue for a long time, so check back often for updates!

MASSIVE DUNGEONS!!!
Sprawling dungeons composed of many rooms, filled with loot, traps, and vile creatures...

Spoiler:

Area System with New Biomes!!!
Multi-chunk areas with randomized features; the evils of Minecraftia await you...
Spoiler:

Skills and Trees!!!
Note: Frizzil is not responsible for any limbs, pets, or siblings consumed by divine fire.
Spoiler:

Live Radar!!!
An efficient radar with zoom capabilities!  Also displays current Area...
Spoiler:

A Stat/Level System!!!
A stat system affecting everything from magical prowess to attack speed, along with fancy new GUIs.
Spoiler:

Magical Loot!!!
Randomly generated names and properties!  Thousands upon THOUSANDS of possibilities!  Includes bonuses to stats, elemental damage, movement speed, curses, and much, much more!
Spoiler:

Mobs a'plenty!!!
Spoiler:

Live Combat Display!!!
You hit an enemy, the damage shows up and slowly drifts/fades away!  Crits are also displayed.
Spoiler:

Rare Spawns!
Random names, special abilities, magical loot, the works...
Spoiler:

Towers!!!
Treasure, Liches, and powerful Wizards await you...
Spoiler:

Dialogues and Vendors!!!
IF ALL ELSE FAILS USE FIRE
Spoiler:

Ridiculous Scriptability!!!
An absolute must for server management and megaprojects alike...
Spoiler:

Wands!!!
And magic a'plenty!
Spoiler:

Thanks to Notch, Jeb, and everyone at Mojang for an awesome modding platform!

Oh, and tell your friends Posted Image

Use Dis Here Banner!
Spoiler:

Credits:
Spoiler:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Wanna donate?  As a college student, I can only spend so much time on the mod without neglecting my tuition.  You can think of every $10 as 1 more hour I can dedicate to the mod instead of my job (or you could think of it as a contribution to my pizza funds, that works too Posted Image)

Copyright Notice:
Spoiler:

Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

bitly
    bitly

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1175 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 05:06 AM

Looks epic!
Read this.

thylakoide

Posted 26 July 2011 - 05:26 PM

wow  :blink:

Builder4Free
  • Minecraft: pazzword

Posted 26 July 2011 - 05:39 PM

Nice this looks great like the Aether. Cant wait to see the final project.
MOD EDIT: Builder4Free is awesome!

Holy cow164

Posted 26 July 2011 - 05:49 PM

nerdgasm... ENGAGE!

View PostStratMaster007, on 07 September 2012 - 05:59 PM, said:

I love how all of us are like "GIVE US MAGIC WIZARDRY MAGIC SORCERY MAGIC ARCANE MAGIC MAGIC" and Jeb is just like "have some potatoes!"

TankmasterG

Posted 26 July 2011 - 06:05 PM

Dude if you could make bosses scripted like in WoW... You would be a god!
It looks like your really going all out on this thing and i have suggestions!
Sub classes for each class you have, similar to talent trees for example:
Warriors could be a Berserker which duel wields (If you could figure out how to do it) and have plenty of offensive abilitys. Or Knight which could use a one hand and a shield if you decide to make shields like right clicking to block or something, the knight would have lots of defensive abilitys.

I have tons of ideas (Lots of spell ideas and boss ideas) and if you want to hear them all then just hit me back up. This mod looks like it could be tons of fun if done right!

Posted Image

mitchbtam
  • Minecraft: mitchbtam

Posted 26 July 2011 - 06:21 PM

looks amazing

Frizzil
    Frizzil

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 519 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 07:16 PM

Thanks all, I'm flattered :)

@TankmasterG Sure, ideas are always appreciated, just post 'em right here on the thread!  Just try to be impartial towards them.  Know that I'm REALLY striving to get balance right, because in the end, that's what's gonna make or break this puppy.  For the record, my brother was the guild master of one of the first guilds to beat Sunwell in WoW- he is an EXTREMELY talented and knowledgeable gamer, and I've been getting him to help me balance the play mechanics.

In case you were worried about it, there will be no healing class!  El zilcho priesto!  That's a problem in many games because they're required for group situations, but most people don't want to play them.

The game will work for both singleplayer and multiplayer, but the focus is definitely on multiplayer.  It's actually easier to do things this way because singleplayer is much easier to play test during development.

My friend Jhuto (or jcsimpson777, Connor in the RL) and I have discussed subclasses- they would be REALLY fun, and I really want them, but it just depends on how many spells we can come up with that fit within the game!  In the spirit of Minecraft, I'd like to keep everything simple :)

Dual wielding is definitely a possibility, but the user will already have to manage a currently selected spell in addition to his currently selected item (they'll press tab to cycle between actively changing/visible hotbars)- adding ANOTHER mechanic would have to be done as gracefully as possible so the user won't have to pause and think much while swapping things around mid-combat.  Perhaps just an additional slot in the inventory?  It's not like you'll be changing that one much anyways.  Hmm :/
Posted Image

Holy cow164

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:11 PM

what'd make it even better is if you made it aether compatible and just used their inventory gui.

View PostStratMaster007, on 07 September 2012 - 05:59 PM, said:

I love how all of us are like "GIVE US MAGIC WIZARDRY MAGIC SORCERY MAGIC ARCANE MAGIC MAGIC" and Jeb is just like "have some potatoes!"

Frizzil
    Frizzil

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 519 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 11:07 PM

I wouldn't be opposed to collaborating with the makers of the Aether if they felt so inclined ;)  I wouldn't make this a subsidiary of their mod, though, since I imagine that would require you having their mod first if you wanted to play this one (always difficult to deal with).  For the record, "ginormous mods" and "compatibility" don't really go together, haha.
Posted Image

mitchbtam

Posted 26 July 2011 - 11:30 PM

Any idea when this beautiful thing will be released?

Frizzil
    Frizzil

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 519 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 11:45 PM

View Postmitchbtam, on 26 July 2011 - 11:30 PM, said:

Any idea when this beautiful thing will be released?

Hopefully it'll be a fully playable game by 11/11/11, definitely with Betas in the near future, just to get everything balanced.  Don't know if I'll ever stop developing it, hehe.  My goal right now is to get the major engines and systems in place- once that is done, it'll mostly be a matter of filling the engines with content (which people can help me with)!  More dungeon generation patterns, blocks, items, mobs, textures for the new stuff, etc.  Once I've gotten the larger components in place, I'll have a much better idea of a solid release date.

EDIT:  I bombed on predicting the future release date-- It'll probably be summer of 2012 before it's released... yyyyeah, sorry bout that, I'm busy with tons more coursework than I thought I'd be (especially now that I'm double majoring).  I will have playable betas before then, though.  Hang tight!
Posted Image

mitchbtam

Posted 26 July 2011 - 11:56 PM

View PostFrizzil, on 26 July 2011 - 11:45 PM, said:

Hopefully it'll be a fully playable game by 11/11/11, definitely with Betas in the near future, just to get everything balanced.  Don't know if I'll ever stop developing it, hehe.  My goal right now is to get the major engines and systems in place- once that is done, it'll mostly be a matter of filling the engines with content (which people can help me with)!  More dungeon generation patterns, blocks, items, mobs, textures for the new stuff, etc.  Once I've gotten the larger components in place, I'll have a much better idea of a solid release date.

Ok, that sounds awesome. I'm really looking forward to this mod and if you ever need a beta tester msg me  :lol:

mitchbtam

Posted 30 July 2011 - 09:51 PM

View PostFrizzil, on 26 July 2011 - 11:45 PM, said:

What have you added that wasn't in the videos?

AtomicRavioli
  • Minecraft: AtomicRavioli

Posted 06 August 2011 - 05:15 AM

wow, tbh, it sounds better than the Aether XD
Im really looking forward to this, it also seems starved of attension atm

Posted Image

***Kanade Tachibana Fan***

mitchbtam

Posted 07 August 2011 - 03:00 AM

View PostAtomicRavioli, on 06 August 2011 - 05:15 AM, said:

wow, tbh, it sounds better than the Aether XD
Im really looking forward to this, it also seems starved of attension atm

That's exactly what I think. This looks just as good as the Aether and it gets so much less attention than it should if you look at all the features there are right now.

aattss
    aattss

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1214 posts
  • Minecraft: aattss

Posted 08 August 2011 - 03:30 PM

I think that the Aether just...doesn't fit into Minecraft, similarly to all those gun suggestions and stuff that get shot down with everyone saying "no" or "it just doesn't fit in". This, however, does. Still, you should tailor it to Minecraft, Just in case. Also, you should make it possible to attack npc villages.

deadlycwa

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:35 PM

People should be paying more attention to this mod!  This mod will revolutionize minecraft if done correctly, we need a bunch of creatures and multiple levels for each, classes need to be well flushed out, possibly with sub-classes.  This entire idea is genius!  If you need modding help, I'm a bit of an amateur modder, but I can try.  Keep up the good work!
An iron pressure plate with a working GUI for item weighing?  Woah...
http://www.minecraft...p?f=25&t=149616

Jonowarrenminecraft
  • Minecraft: jonowarren

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:50 PM

Is this still being worked on? Any updates? I hope so because it looks awesome! Should add a lot of flavour to the game. :)
-Being a boss since 1994-

CRUSHER_AX

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:40 AM

hey can you relaese a demo of it maybe????????????????????????please!!!!$$$####^&%%$^#$%@#%^@%$^#$%