Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Video Settings help!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Thypthon
  • Minecraft: Thypthon

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:12 PM

Ok, here's the deal. I have bought a new gamer laptop with 4 GB ram and 640 GB HDD. And I can play Call of Buty Black ops perfectly without any problems. But when it comes to Minecraft I have to have all the settings (video settings) to the lowest. Reder distance: Short, Graphics: Fast and View bobbling: Off. If these settings is on the best thing, my computer can't handle it. Any ideas why. (I think its because its programmed in Java. Need more infomation about my computer, just say it  :rolleyes:)

More info:
Pacbard Bell EasyNote TS
IntelCore i3-2301M
NVIDIA GetForce GI 540M, 2 GB VRAM
4 GB DDR3 Memory
640 GB HDD
15,6" 16.9 HD LED LCD

Thanks
...And Justice for All!

Register or log in to remove.

Katrix
    Katrix

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 161 posts
  • Minecraft: katrix400

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:31 PM

What is the problem? Lag?
Press F5 ingame and tell us what the fps and the use of memory was.
Posted Image    Posted Image    Posted Image    Posted Image    Posted Image

PhantomsCore
  • Minecraft: PhantomsCore
  • Xbox:PhantomsCore

Posted 26 July 2011 - 12:34 AM

View PostKatrix, on 25 July 2011 - 10:31 PM, said:

*F3
Posted Image

BluShine
  • Minecraft: BluShine

Posted 26 July 2011 - 01:51 AM

You can try the mip-mapping patch, also.  It basically just lowers the resolution of textures that are far away.  Not a huge performance boost, but should make it run a little better (and look a little smoother, too).
http://www.minecraft...-mapping-patch/
Working on a Sphax BDcraft patch for the mod Ars Magica here.

_j03_
    _j03_

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2843 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 03:07 AM

Is this again one of those laptops that start to use the integrated gpu of the cpu, when they feel that power is not needed? Seen many similar cases. So try to find some options to turn the integrated gpu of that sandy bridge cpu off.

Infired
    Infired

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2799 posts
  • Minecraft: Infired

Posted 26 July 2011 - 03:53 AM

View Post_j03_, on 26 July 2011 - 03:07 AM, said:

Is this again one of those laptops that start to use the integrated gpu of the cpu, when they feel that power is not needed? Seen many similar cases. So try to find some options to turn the integrated gpu of that sandy bridge cpu off.

It's something I see a lot in the Support forum. Mobile NVidia GPUs tend to think Minecraft is "Not that much of a game" so it uses the Integrated GPU in the CPU, causing poor performance.

I think he'd need to go into the NVidia Control Panel or Right-Click on the Minecraft.exe and select "Run as High Performance" ? I don't really know, haven't had any experience with NVidia Cards, yet.
Intel Core i7 2600K, Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, 16GB Kingston ValueRAM DDR3 @ 1333MHz, PowerColor Radeon HD6950 2GB, OCZ ZX850 850W PSU, Cooler Master HAF-X

Thypthon

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:47 AM

View PostInfired, on 26 July 2011 - 03:53 AM, said:

It's something I see a lot in the Support forum. Mobile NVidia GPUs tend to think Minecraft is "Not that much of a game" so it uses the Integrated GPU in the CPU, causing poor performance.

I think he'd need to go into the NVidia Control Panel or Right-Click on the Minecraft.exe and select "Run as High Performance" ? I don't really know, haven't had any experience with NVidia Cards, yet.

I'll try that.
...And Justice for All!

Thypthon

Posted 26 July 2011 - 10:06 AM

View PostKatrix, on 25 July 2011 - 10:31 PM, said:

FPS: 6
Memory used: 11% (173 MB) of 910 MB

(This was the respond when using the best settings)
...And Justice for All!

_j03_
    _j03_

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2843 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 12:39 PM

View Postmadjansen, on 26 July 2011 - 10:06 AM, said:

FPS: 6
Memory used: 11% (173 MB) of 910 MB

(This was the respond when using the best settings)
It's clearly using the shitty integrated sandy bridge gpu instead of your 540M. That's the problem there...

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1227 posts
  • Minecraft: 6677

Posted 26 July 2011 - 01:51 PM

In the motherboard bios youn turn the integrated intel stuff off permanantly (or until you go back into bios and turn it off again), the exact instructions vary by motherboard (or this case laptop) but generally to get the bios open you hammer F2 or delete as soon as the computer turns on, before the windows stuff starts, literally as soon as something appears on the screen (which should be something along the lines of a packard bell logo or something).

Once the bios is open I have no idea where to go on your computer so it will be upto google for that one.

Another little trick that helps me alot.
Right click on the task bar at the bottom and open task manager, when minecraft is open it will say minecraft.exe. Right click on it and select go to process, it will take you to the processes tab and have java.exe or javaw.exe selected. Right click on it and go Change priority > High. Do not use realtime or likely you will have more issues. This will need doing everytime you start minecraft unfortuneately, Also seems to crash minecraft if you change priority at the same time as the mojang splash screen is present or while logging into a server. Dunno why. I just do it once ingame.

And one last java related thing. I am assuming you have 64bit windows. Sometimes it comes with java 32 preinstalled rather than the 64 version. If you can find out (forgotten how) and you do have the 32 bit version you can manually download the 64 bit version on the java website. This gave a 10fps boost to one of my mates. (How he gets 50fps + on a 256x texture pack and all video settings to full and java priority normal I will never know, his hardwares good but not great. I'm not far behind and only get 20 to 30 fps with java on high and settings low)
Some people shouldn't be allowed near technology. We should just leave them in the bottom of the grand canyon with sticks as a tourist attraction.

okal
    okal

Glowstone Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 3497 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 01:55 PM

I just added this to another post in support also with Optimus:
Low FPS

Shortanimationz

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:05 PM

I can help. Your computer doesn't consider Minecraft a heavy 3D game, so instead of using your Nvidia GPU, it decides to use the integrated graphics shit card. You have to manually change that by going into the Nvidia Control Panel and adding javaw.exe into your 'Manage 3D settings' section. Boom baby.
'The Nap Server' Owner.

Infired
    Infired

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2799 posts
  • Minecraft: Infired

Posted 27 July 2011 - 03:26 AM

View PostShortanimationz, on 26 July 2011 - 09:05 PM, said:

I can help. Your computer doesn't consider Minecraft a heavy 3D game, so instead of using your Nvidia GPU, it decides to use the integrated graphics shit card. You have to manually change that by going into the Nvidia Control Panel and adding javaw.exe into your 'Manage 3D settings' section. Boom baby.

Sounds similar to what I said.

EARLIER. :P
Intel Core i7 2600K, Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, 16GB Kingston ValueRAM DDR3 @ 1333MHz, PowerColor Radeon HD6950 2GB, OCZ ZX850 850W PSU, Cooler Master HAF-X

Thypthon

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:53 AM

View PostShortanimationz, on 26 July 2011 - 09:05 PM, said:

(Sorry, for a late respons!)
I searched youtube a while ago after better qualtiy, and what your are writing here is wht that helped.
But thanks for responding. Topic can be closed.
...And Justice for All!