18 replies to this topic

Marwok
    Marwok

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 03:30 PM

:Logs^: Hi.

I am toying with the idea of growing a huge tree, however I am abit unsure how approach the task, I've been lurking around trying to find answers, but I still have a few questions. If I have the base log of my tree (artificially made with a 3x3xHEIGHT formula), Could I place a dirtblock like this(view from the top):
:Logs^:  :Logs^:  :Logs^:
:Logs^:  :soil:   :Logs^:
and have a sapling grow into a  tree?

Anyone know how much space the sapling actually need horizontally to be able to grow?

Register or log in to remove.

Chibinuva

Posted 24 July 2011 - 03:33 PM

Not sure, but I'll try it out now and get back to you.
Posted Image<<<Please click to help him hatch.
http://dragcave.net/user/Chibinuva

Fayore
    Fayore

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • Minecraft: himan555

Posted 24 July 2011 - 03:37 PM

What we did is put a 4x4 square of saplings on the floor, grew all we could, and kept putting more dirt and sapling on top. After a while it looked good
THEY'RE COMING TO TAKE ME AWAY!

Marwok
    Marwok

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 03:39 PM

So, two saplings next to eachother would both grow?

Chibinuva

Posted 24 July 2011 - 03:42 PM

Also, you could just cut down logs and use shears or an editor to obtain leaves, and build one yourself.
Posted Image<<<Please click to help him hatch.
http://dragcave.net/user/Chibinuva

Kieran665

Posted 24 July 2011 - 03:45 PM

View PostMarwok, on 24 July 2011 - 03:30 PM, said:

:Logs^: Hi.

I am toying with the idea of growing a huge tree, however I am abit unsure how approach the task, I've been lurking around trying to find answers, but I still have a few questions. If I have the base log of my tree (artificially made with a 3x3xHEIGHT formula), Could I place a dirtblock like this(view from the top):
:Logs^:  :soil:   :Logs^:
and have a sapling grow into a  tree?

Anyone know how much space the sapling actually need horizontally to be able to grow?

Do you mean is it possible to stack trees, for example like this:
Spoiler:
Once the first tree grew, I placed a block of dirt, placed a sapling and it grew again.

2 Saplings next to each other don't grow from what I just tried. 1 does but the second one doesn't

Tharwen
    Tharwen

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 03:45 PM

You'd have to clear a tube above each sapling so it has room to grow after the other ones do.

Hyperialist

Posted 24 July 2011 - 03:50 PM

Normal saplings need a 1x6x1 area, birch saplings need a 5x7x5 area, and pine saplings need a 7x10x7 area.

Info taken from Wiki.

Marwok
    Marwok

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 03:51 PM

Kieran665: Thanks alot! that's one of my question answered! <3

Tharwen: So I'd have to let sapling #1 grow first, then clear a vertical tube over the second one? :)

*Edit*
Hyperialist: Is oak considered to be the normal saplings you speak of? (I'm not great at trees, obviously=P)

Kieran665

Posted 24 July 2011 - 04:09 PM

View PostMarwok, on 24 July 2011 - 03:51 PM, said:

Is oak considered to be the normal saplings you speak of? (I'm not great at trees, obviously=P)

Oak trees tend to be the ones that you always see, so yes they are the normal light green and brown sapling.
http://www.minecraft...ng_inground.png

Marwok
    Marwok

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 04:11 PM

Hokay, thanks alot! Oak is the way to go then if one would like to grow a solid wall of trees
I love this community <3

Ocelot60
    Ocelot60

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4852 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 04:17 PM

It would be cool to make a  big tree doing that :)

Piejacker875
  • Minecraft: Piejacker875

Posted 24 July 2011 - 04:33 PM

View PostOcelot60, on 24 July 2011 - 04:17 PM, said:

It would be cool to make a  big tree doing that :)
Go look for that "The tree spirit" topic. There are some pretty awesome looking massive trees people have made in that.
See my "About Me" page. Signatures are now way too restrictive. I'm an oompa loompa. 20% more chocolate than you.

ZeroKelvin

Posted 24 July 2011 - 04:41 PM

I fail to see the point of growing a huge tree since you can place leaves now.

Marwok
    Marwok

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 04:46 PM

View PostZeroKelvin, on 24 July 2011 - 04:41 PM, said:

I fail to see the point of growing a huge tree since you can place leaves now.

I'm doing it to make it look natural, or more natural than it wood(sorry, just had to) if I had placed the leaves and logs myself :) people that are actually good at this game could probably pull it off and have it look amazing. I, however do not have the proper skills yet :)

Pyroman47
  • Minecraft: Jixx47

Posted 24 July 2011 - 05:43 PM

Making a giant tree sounds epic... I'm definitely going to try this
Posted Image

llamallord21

Posted 24 July 2011 - 05:49 PM

lol my "treehouse" is just a bunch of trees on top of trees until i get to the top and build a house. Protip - when you get to the top of the first tree, take off the first block, if you can, save it for later. put dirt there, then sapling, bonemeal, destroy dirt, put log back. VOILA!

Ocelot60
    Ocelot60

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4852 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 06:22 PM

View PostPiejacker875, on 24 July 2011 - 04:33 PM, said:

Go look for that "The tree spirit" topic. There are some pretty awesome looking massive trees people have made in that.
I had a look, they're pretty amazing, wish I could be bothered to do- I'm doing it :iapprove:

Divine Insect
  • Minecraft: DivineInsect

Posted 24 July 2011 - 06:40 PM

Making giant mega trees is possible.  On an old SMP map I made a giant hollow tree home that extended from one block above sea level up to almost the height limit.

First, I created a tall, hollow trunk using log blocks.  Near the top I branched out and made 4 tick, main limbs extending out horizontally from the trunk.  One in each of the 4 directions.  They were thick enough to each contain a 2x2 wide corridor inside each branch.  I put windows in b/c of the good view.  I made smaller branches with log blocks extending upwards and outwards from the top surface of the four main branches with more log blocks.  From there, I placed a bunch of dirt blocks and saplings to grow the "normal sized" trees that form the branches with leaves.  I also put more branches/saplings at the top of the trunk in order to give the tree's canopy a more natural looking shape.

It turned out really cool, especially since I did it on a small island and added a dock, and deck with a roof around the second floor of the house. The roof was there in order to prevent the possibility of unwanted hostile mobs falling from the shaded canopy onto the deck area.