Whacking away at a boss for ages is not fun in any definition of the word. Having to fly on a pig for five minutes to get to the dungeon after you die is not fun, either.
Take a look at the comparison between Zelda Dungeons and Aether Dungeons.
LoZ Series Dungeons
* Relatively long, interesting, unique dungeons
* Many enemies and puzzles to encounter in each dungeon
* Checkpoint at the boss battle
* A fun, usually challenging boss fight with many stages
* Items unique to each dungeon type
- Some puzzles can take a while to figure out
* Unique dungeons
* Great loot at the end
- Dungeons are tedious to get through
- Boss battles are long and boring
I've said this before, and I'll say it again: there is a reason that the "reflect projectiles back at the boss" is only one stage of boss fights in other games: it gets repetitive and boring! There is no increase in difficulty as the time goes on for the Gold Boss, except for maybe a few more bouncing fireorbs.
Edit: And this comment... "- Dungeons are tedious to get through" Really? Not single dungeon is tedious to get through. Bronze is 2-4 rooms, all accessible from one another, one of which being the boss room. Silver is bit bigger with staircases and whatnot, but it's really not that much of a bother. Gold dungeon? It's one room. So tedious...