• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Enjay
    Enjay

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2392 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 10:57 PM

Obviously the left and right mouse buttons are bindable to functions, but that seems to be it.  The scroll wheel certainly works to cycle through my readied inventory too.  However, MC doesn't seem to recognise the additional 3 buttons on my mouse (MS Sidewinder X3).

I can perhaps understand the forward/backward buttons (buttons 4 and 5) because they are not hugely standard but virtually every mouse with a scroll wheel also has the wheel work as a central button.  I'd really like to use that to jump (my usual gaming setup) but when I try and bind it in the menu, there is no reaction at all from MC.

Would it be possible to add support for additional mouse buttons?

Thanks.
LOL MineDrama. Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

GreyAcumen
    GreyAcumen

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4570 posts
  • Minecraft: GreyAcumen

Posted 09 October 2010 - 12:02 AM

Minecraft classic uses the middle mouse button to copy the block you're aiming at to your inventory. The only reason it's not in minecraft alpha is lack of a decision for what it should do.

Enjay
    Enjay

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2392 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 01:07 AM

Thanks for the info.  Then, IMO, it should just be left unassigned but readable so if a user wants to allocate it to some function, they can.
LOL MineDrama. Posted Image

Raphfrk
    Raphfrk

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 08:31 AM

Enjay said:

Thanks for the info.  Then, IMO, it should just be left unassigned but readable so if a user wants to allocate it to some function, they can.

That's a good idea.

Personally, I would set it as move forward.  This would allow you move without needing the keyboard.

Ofc, "auto-climb" would be needed to go up hills.  Otherwise, you would need to use the space bar.

It could even be a "safe move forward".  This would have the following properties

- will climb up 1 block
- will not walk off a drop of more than 1 block
-- There could be a delay here, so if you keep trying to move forward for more than 1 second, you go over the edge
Serverport - Server to Server Teleporting mod - includes client mod
Defaultserv - Default multiplayer server mod

Lachy17689

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:31 AM

Enjay said:

Obviously the left and right mouse buttons are bindable to functions, but that seems to be it.  The scroll wheel certainly works to cycle through my readied inventory too.  However, MC doesn't seem to recognise the additional 3 buttons on my mouse (MS Sidewinder X3).

I can perhaps understand the forward/backward buttons (buttons 4 and 5) because they are not hugely standard but virtually every mouse with a scroll wheel also has the wheel work as a central button.  I'd really like to use that to jump (my usual gaming setup) but when I try and bind it in the menu, there is no reaction at all from MC.

Would it be possible to add support for additional mouse buttons?

Thanks.
Don't be lazy just macro you're buttons on you're specific mouse to other keys, the majority of Minecrafters wouldn't have a decent mouse, just the simple left, scroll bar and right buttons. Also think about the Mac and Linux Users who wouldn't have the WINDOWS button 4&5. Sure good for you and me (Love my Razer Deathadder) but think of the n00bs please.

GreyAcumen
    GreyAcumen

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4570 posts
  • Minecraft: GreyAcumen

Posted 13 October 2010 - 01:40 PM

so what? They can still use the setup that is already there. The point here is to allow us to use whatever buttons we have. It's not like giving support for those buttons takes anything away from mac/linux/3button-mouse-only users

Lachy17689

Posted 14 October 2010 - 05:40 AM

GreyAcumen said:

so what? They can still use the setup that is already there. The point here is to allow us to use whatever buttons we have. It's not like giving support for those buttons takes anything away from mac/linux/3button-mouse-only users
It's a waste of time, seriously if you've got a half decent mouse it's easy to macro them, come on.

the_actual_God

Posted 14 October 2010 - 06:08 AM

Lachy17689 said:

It's a waste of time, seriously if you've got a half decent mouse it's easy to macro them, come on.

Lachy17689, WTF is wrong with you? Instead of having the software developer allow any key and button for any function - which would be really easy to implement - you want only half of the people out there who want to use different buttons to be able to do it (because the other half doesn't know about the obscure external configuration/modding scheme)?

Good thing you're not in the government.

we6jbo
    we6jbo

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 06:21 AM

Eventually all keys/mousekeys and possibly even gamepads/joystick devices should be keyable/rekeyable.
Posted Image
Endorsement:
One Sided Windows: http://www.minecraft...php?f=1&t=27244
Compasses & Grand Magnets: http://www.minecraft...php?f=1&t=24619

Lachy17689

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:24 AM

the_actual_God said:

Good thing you're not in the government.
George Bush.

Calm down guys just giving you my opinion, no flame wars needed.  :RFlower: