• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Vivid Torrential Changes, Discontinued 13w25c (Compatibility Update)

16x vivid happy smile anniversary tau weird unpopular 13w01a 1.4.6

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
147 replies to this topic

insomniac_lemon
  • Minecraft: insomniac_lemon

Posted 12 July 2011 - 11:05 PM

This texture pack has been officially discontinued. This means that new textures and changes will not be released. However, the pack is still downloadable, still being worked on, and will still be updated (with game textures) to the newest version of Minecraft, usually not too long after snapshots have been released. If you are interested, the spoiler below contains all of the old information, including the download. However, note that because of the discontinuation, none of the documentation besides the title will be updated. You will have to look at the title or download the pack to see if it is updated.

Spoiler:

Reasoning for discontinuation

I discontinued this pack because it was very unpopular. I got 500 downloads in one year, nearly all of the downloads from the last 6 months. Even still, I only got comments on it every so months, and generally not much of it was actual feedback.

Even as the pack progressed, popularity and number of actual users did not seem to increase. I know this is my fault, because I released the pack too early in production, and did a very poor job of "selling" the pack on this thread, because I did not have good enough visual media, and I did not actually show/talk about the the large amount of features that actually make this pack great.

I also failed to keep up-to-date images on this thread, as I released it early, and I was improving it so much that I would constantly need to update the screenshots which was a hassle.

Future of the pack

Now that I have recognized the problem, I know what to do. I am continuing work on the pack, and will not release it until it is 100% new textures, meaning no vanilla textures or ones that I made early on for the pack, so I can give the pack the release it deserves. I will do all of the things I have wanted to do for the pack, including all of the paintings being redone, and alien villagers.

I might add more mod support (such as random mobs, more CTM, or even support for fantasy mods such as Thaumcraft).

I might make multiple versions of the pack (besides the normal version) such as a barebones version of the pack, meant to run on lower-end computers such as netbooks with no mod files included and no partial transparency in images, and possibly an extended version with double resolution mobs and more mod support.

What you can do to help

If you like this pack, and have feedback in its current state, please PM your feedback. Most of the feedback I received about the pack was from Balduran, Turek, and Darklight10, all who I had PM conversations with basically on what they thought of the pack and how I could potentially improve it.

Most of the feedback I received from Turek, however, he  has stepped down from it due to technical problems. If you would like to fill the role of helping me improve the pack, are active on the forums, possibly have texturing experience (so you know what you're talking about), and like the pack, please PM me!

Get notified about the release of the redux version of this pack

When the pack is 100% not vanilla (everything!) and older textures have been redone, and I have made images for the thread, it will get a new topic in the texture packs section (and this one will be hidden).

At that time, I will notify anyone following this topic of what has occurred. If you would like to be notified when the new thread is posted, please follow this topic.

Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

Kyle Crafty
    Kyle Crafty

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1101 posts
  • Minecraft: Kyle_Crafty

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:12 PM

Looking good! Personally I don't much like the wood, but it is unique so props there :)

joman195
    joman195

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1261 posts
  • Minecraft: joman59

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:04 PM

1 Problem: Cobble and Mossy Cobble look almost nothing alike.
Skal ~Joman195

Posted Image

BeastGamer
  • Minecraft: pivotgamer84

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:08 PM

I like the pumpkins, so I'll take those, but as far as the rest goes, it seems a little bit out of place witht the other stuff in the pack. It's a good start, but it isn't what I'm looking for.
Posted Image

insomniac_lemon

Posted 27 September 2011 - 02:07 AM

Ok I have changed this texture pack a bunch since it was released, and also have a screenshot on this page! Be sure to post what you think!

Posted Image

insomniac_lemon

Posted 30 September 2011 - 03:48 AM

-is updated, with changes to old textures, as well as the new textures of 1.9. Is anybody downloading it?

EDIT 2: I was paranoid.

Posted Image

Aganel
    Aganel

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 09:49 PM

Nice work, man! And you definitely like orange :)

i don't like round window in the door, though. And fond of vanilla ore textures.

insomniac_lemon

Posted 02 October 2011 - 10:35 PM

View PostAganel, on 02 October 2011 - 09:49 PM, said:

Nice work, man! And you definitely like orange :)

i don't like round window in the door, though. And fond of vanilla ore textures.

Thank you. Why do you say this about orange? You don't like the door window? I added it for visibility. Is there anything I can do to make the ores better, or is that vanilla love unwavering?

Posted Image

legoloverlego

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:36 AM

Cool I like it. One problem you need to look at the font, it comes off the buttons sometimes.
Posted Image

CaduceusGUILT

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:47 AM

1 thing I have to say, the diamond block uses the same texture for all 6 sides, so your idea of that diamond thing doesn't work well. You might want to go with something like diamond bricks, or make it similar to the other blocks.

Posted Image
I am the bone of my sword
Steel is my body, and fire is my blood
I have created over a thousand blades
Unknown to death, Nor known to life
Have withstood pain to create many weapons
Yet, those hands will never hold anything
So as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works

insomniac_lemon

Posted 06 October 2011 - 02:09 AM

View Postlegoloverlego, on 06 October 2011 - 01:40 AM, said:

One problem you need to look at the font, it comes off the buttons sometimes.

Yes, I am aware. All of the letters have the same width, I don't know why the letters try to take up so much space. My guess is it has something to do with why it isn't changed by texturepacks without MC patcher  or something.

EDIT: I'm trying something now fixed now

View PostCaduceusGUILT, on 06 October 2011 - 01:47 AM, said:

1 thing I have to say, the diamond block uses the same texture for all 6 sides, so your idea of that diamond thing doesn't work well. You might want to go with something like diamond bricks, or make it similar to the other blocks.

Are you saying just because of the "lighting"?

Posted Image

Azoid
    Azoid

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1410 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 03:24 AM

i think this pack is good, it does have a few problems that could be easily fixed though. The cobble looks way too different from the actual stone block (which also doesn't tile well) and the GUI doesn't work for hardcore mode. Don't get me wrong though, I still really like this pack and think it is really awesome.

StealthyScorpion
  • Minecraft: Scorpion113

Posted 06 October 2011 - 03:26 AM

to saturated and overdone colours. try warmer colors if you wanna succed in tetxureing
My Texture pack:clean coloursPosted Image

insomniac_lemon

Posted 06 October 2011 - 03:27 AM

View PostShmeepazoid, on 06 October 2011 - 03:24 AM, said:

i think this pack is good, it does have a few problems that could be easily fixed though. The cobble looks way too different from the actual stone block (which also doesn't tile well) and the GUI doesn't work for hardcore mode. Don't get me wrong though, I still really like this pack and think it is really awesome.

I JUST uploaded a new version. Fixed font, and hardcore mode health. So re-download and it will be there Posted Image

EDIT: Also updated stone & ores. Tell me it's better Posted Image

View PostStealthyScorpion, on 06 October 2011 - 03:26 AM, said:

to saturated and overdone colours. try warmer colors if you wanna succed in tetxureing

The name of the the texture pack has "vivid" in it, what did you expect? One of the reasons I made this is because, frankly, default looks a little de-saturated.

Posted Image

legoloverlego

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:57 AM

View Postinsomniac_lemon, on 06 October 2011 - 03:27 AM, said:

I JUST uploaded a new version. Fixed font, and hardcore mode health. So re-download and it will be there :)

EDIT: Also updated stone & ores. Tell me it's better :)
It's look's better now, also could you change the font a  little and keep it vivid but make it easier to read.
Posted Image

insomniac_lemon

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:38 PM

View Postlegoloverlego, on 06 October 2011 - 11:57 AM, said:

It's look's better now, also could you change the font a  little and keep it vivid but make it easier to read.
How to make the text more vivid? I cannot change the color. Maybe if you tell me what characters you like and which not and i'll see what I can do?

Posted Image

legoloverlego

Posted 06 October 2011 - 05:05 PM

View Postinsomniac_lemon, on 06 October 2011 - 01:38 PM, said:

How to make the text more vivid? I cannot change the color. Maybe if you tell me what characters you like and which not and i'll see what I can do?
You could probably try to make it smoother while keeping the "vividness".
Also why can't you change the color and make each letter a different color.
The text still goes one pixel of signs, but that's okay.
I love your Enderman skin.

Edited by legoloverlego, 06 October 2011 - 05:09 PM.

Posted Image

insomniac_lemon

Posted 06 October 2011 - 05:54 PM

View Postlegoloverlego, on 06 October 2011 - 05:05 PM, said:

You could probably try to make it smoother while keeping the "vividness".
Also why can't you change the color and make each letter a different color.
The text still goes one pixel of signs, but that's okay.
I love your Enderman skin.

The font gets colored by Java, like the title message yellow, GUI white, signs black, ect.
Characters can go off of a sign even with default font. Just depends on the characters used.
You mean my player skin? It was something I made before endermen were released (as you can see from the green eyes)

Posted Image

legoloverlego

Posted 06 October 2011 - 06:04 PM

View Postinsomniac_lemon, on 06 October 2011 - 05:54 PM, said:

The font gets colored by Java, like the title message yellow, GUI white, signs black, ect.
Characters can go off of a sign even with default font. Just depends on the characters used.
You mean my player skin? It was something I made before endermen were released (as you can see from the green eyes)
I love how you can change the color of grass, do you use Java for that too?
It's sweet!
Posted Image

insomniac_lemon

Posted 06 October 2011 - 06:10 PM

View Postlegoloverlego, on 06 October 2011 - 06:04 PM, said:

I love how you can change the color of grass, do you use Java for that too?
It's sweet!

No, to do that I changed \misc\grasscolor.png. It was an experiment. It turned out pretty well, grass in the nether is red (:

What I meant by java is, the color of font in Minecraft is "hard-coded" which means it does not use an image or something from an image to get its color, but java code which would require modding/changing to access. Unlike Grass/leaves which actually read the .PNGs in the \misc, thus changeable.

Posted Image