• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Mipmapping, AA and anisotropic filtering

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Cap'n Derp

Posted 10 July 2011 - 09:20 PM

Hi, first post on these forums, but I thought I'd share my findings :)

I've finally managed to get full blown multi sampled anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering working in minecraft, and discovered the following things:

* It makes a HUGE difference when looking off into the distance, it just makes everything look so much nicer and natural, be you running the vanilla texture pack or a photorealistic one at 256px

* Due to how minecraft's rendering engine works, it creates a lot of artifacts around blocks etc. and shows odd lines between individual blocks. This is because minecraft renders every block seperately, meaning that rather than the anti-aliasing affecting only the edges of a surface, it affects the surface as a whole, which makes it so the blocks don't seamlessly line up any more from certain angles (especially when using edge-detect AA.

* Especially higher resolution texture packs NEED anisotropic filtering and mipmapping, it's basically the only way to take advantage of the added detail.

I got the best looking results using 4 sample box anti-aliasing, however that absolutely destroyed my framerate (it dropped from between 50/110 to around 7.) Edge-detect anti aliasing only makes it worse because of the way minecraft maps its textures, I haven't tried wide/narrow tent, might in the future.

For now I'll post a few screenshots I took, and if/when I discover more or better settings, I'll update this post.

PS: I'm not sure if the awful performance with high settings is my system, or java/notch's coding (it is after all forced, not native) so it might work just fine on other systems.

Posted Image
Without Anti-aliasing or anisotropic filtering

Posted Image
4 sample box type anti aliasing, no anisotropic filtering

Posted Image
4 sample box type anti aliasing, 16 sample anisotropic filtering

Posted Image
What happens when I try those last settings

Posted Image
Outside view, no filtering etc.

Posted Image
Outside view, 4 sample box type anti aliasing, 16 sample anisotropic filtering

Long story short (at least in my case) very much worth it for taking screenshots, making movies etc. but during regular gameplay, not so much.

INFORMATION THINGIES!
System specs this was done with:
ATI mobility radeon HD 5470; 1 GIG VRAM
4 gigs of DDR3
AMD Athlon II P320 dual core (2.1 GHz)

Texture pack used:
CYBERGHOSTDE'S HD TEXTURE PACK (256x version)

Register or log in to remove.

Glenn
    Glenn

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 945 posts
  • Minecraft: GlennA

Posted 10 July 2011 - 09:27 PM

Oh god! Send this to Notch!

Posted ImagePosted Image

Assassians4hire

Posted 10 July 2011 - 09:34 PM

Nice finds my friend.
You can try to achieve an effect of anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering via GLSL shaders, but I'm not 100% sure about that. I have never tried it.

Alternatively, here's a little guide I found to apply these settings to Minecraft if you have an nVidia graphics gpu:
http://forums.nom-no...opic-filtering/

This overrides Minecraft's GL texture settings, and allows your graphics card to filter them.

Also, I sent you a message.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. - Plato
"Coding is not my main qualification, even if it is one of the thing I enjoy the most in the world, beside drinking and sex ^^" - ProfMobius

Cap'n Derp

Posted 10 July 2011 - 09:48 PM

I should note: This isn't actually a mod to the game, this is setting my display driver to force using these settings in applications

Nosterp
    Nosterp

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 04:05 AM

I see no difference between the two pictures, I do not under stand why I should use these settings if they lag out your rater nice computer