• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

The Objective of Minecraft

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

ThePengu

Posted 05 October 2010 - 12:59 PM

Firstly I apologize for doing the first post suggestion malarkey. I have lurked for a while; the forums are very active what could have been said has been.
This thread is for suggestions for the objective of Minecraft. I know it’s great to just mine and build but I would be happier if there was something greater to aim for. Though I can understand not everyone would want the same.
Notch has already said that he plans Minecraft to have some sort of story. Though he doesn’t yet know what it will be.
Only that it will be the kind of objective reminiscent of old games where you one hear of people completing the game, but never complete it yourself :grass:.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Anyway, stay with me on this one. It’s quite long, but hopefully its worth it.

Notch plans, or has thought about goblin camps. I think this is a good idea and would fit with the style.
This would be easier to understand if I explain how I imagine goblin camps would work so here we are.
:) Goblins
A) A goblin is relatively weak but will return to camp on low health
:grass: Goblins travel in groups (more than 1)
C) Goblins aren’t fast either, but can gain mounts later on.

:grass: Goblin Camps
1) Work very similar to dungeons, with a spawn at the centre, only above ground.
2) Composed of a camp fire, some logs and a wooden shelter in which a spawn point resides.
3) Spawn point will spawn goblins until a limit is reached, starting at about 8 or so.
4) Goblins will either guard the base or form a raiding party. (2-4)
5) A raiding party will scout about looking for chests to loot people to kill.
6) Goblins can only carry about 2 items (prevents the player from having all their stuff nicked in one foul swoop)
7) Once the goblins know the location of a players base they will raid it intermittently (whether successful or not)

[>>-i>] The objective.
Once you defeat a goblin camp the next one that is generated will be slightly more powerful.
So the population cap will increase the size of the camp, the number of buildings and the number in a raiding party. Everything about a camp gets slightly bigger and better each time you defeat it. They start wearing armor and building walls, using cobblestone. Eventually you end up fighting goblin citadels.
Now depending on how long notch wants this to go on, it could be quite a while. Though after a lot of bloodshed, fighting and burning you discover the last stronghold. This however is different. It’s not a goblin camp but a hellish biome with a large castle at its centre.  
Though I’m a little sketchy on how you discover it but perhaps you could find bits of map every time you destroy a camp when you have them all it shows you the location that the castle is (or will be generated)
I imagine it as the sort of castle found in almost every fantasy stories. The kind that emits evil pulsates ominous and only the strongest and daring of heroes would dare attempt.
Posted Image
The Image isn’t exactly what I had in mind but you get the general idea. If you watched the black caldron or knightmare when you were a child you will understand the kind of dark mysterious castle I’m talking about.

Inside could really be anything, it’s a little early to tell. Probably everything you would find in a dungeon and goblin camp combined. It would have to be a real challenge and the reward would have to be worth the effort.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
:grass: Possible Issues.
The goblin AI may seem a bit too smart or complex, especially if they mine and build. It doesn’t have to be. At the end of the day they only need to spawn and search. Though I know little about Java and how it could be done.

The generation of camps and castles could be the main issue. Then again Notch has done a fantastic job with the generation so far.

Once you explore a new area it is generated I’m fairly certain it can’t be re-generated and retain its previous features. In other words. You can’t just add a goblin camp to an area that’s already there (as far as I know). It would have to be somewhere undiscovered. This could mean the world gets pretty huge by the time you reach the final castle.

Sorry for the length.

:D
Tea>Life

Register or log in to remove.

Knytt
    Knytt

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1143 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 03:30 PM

There already is an objective of Minecraft: To relax and get far away from everyday life, and to keep your fortress flourishing amidst the undead. Should you ever be satisfied with your base, there will always be plenty of world for you to explore. The object of the game is not to win, because winning leads to stress, and nor does it need thin excuses based on some manufactured morals. Why have an end to an adventure when you have an unlimited world to explore?

Let's say you have seized the goblin fortress, murdered all the poor goblins, robbed them of their treasures, all in the name of some god or moral, then what? Then the game ends and the stress you felt instead becomes a loss of everything you enjoyed. If you want to play more, you have to start over again, so the only true way to defeat the goblins when you keep resurresting them again, is to not play the game anymore. Only by not playing, will you truly have won.
...so why win?

monkeedude

Posted 05 October 2010 - 03:36 PM

I think the Objective of Minecraft is to have fun. Without there being any end goal besides what you alone determine, it gives the player the ultimate freedom that they don't have to deal with in everyday life.

If all you want to do is dig, you can dig. If you want to build, you can build. If you want to explore, you can explore. If you want to simply climb to the top and enjoy the view, you can.

There's a rather large set of games without strict objectives that have become very very successful.

gimnis
    gimnis

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:22 PM

i agree with the sandbox-kinda view, i'm having a blast doing whatever i want, and it will only grow bigger in every update, with more things to find, and ways to build..
but..
sometimes i'm just getting into the game, going to get some wood, it;s turning to night, i go back to my base.. and i think, well , what now? i already have alot of minerals, so what should i do? then i quit the game, and come back when i feel like playing.. that is only partially good,

because i think a game should have an ultimate goal.
in Minecraft, i don't think it should focus soly on that story\goal, and the game won't end when you achive that goal, only unlock more options, and you could keep playing.. just like without the goal. this will add very much depth to the game, and make it more satisfying, adding another choice to a game based on free choice and discovery  :D

gimnis
    gimnis

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:24 PM

i agree with the sandbox-kinda view, i'm having a blast doing whatever i want, and it will only grow bigger in every update, with more things to find, and ways to build..
but..
sometimes i'm just getting into the game, going to get some wood, it;s turning to night, i go back to my base.. and i think, well , what now? i already have alot of minerals, so what should i do? then i quit the game, and come back when i feel like playing.. that is only partially good,

because i think a game should have an ultimate goal.
in Minecraft, i don't think it should focus soly on that story\goal, and the game won't end when you achive that goal, only unlock more options, and you could keep playing.. just like without the goal. this will add very much depth to the game, and make it more satisfying, adding another choice to a game based on free choice and discovery  :iapprove:

MrTorus
    MrTorus

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1486 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:33 PM

You can be confident that there'll be a narrative of sorts:

Notch said:

Please, read this thread:
MINECRAFT FACTS: BIG LIST OF WHAT NOTCH HAS ACTUALLY SAID ABOUT THE PLANNED FEATURES OF MINECRAFT

"If something ever doesn't feel fun, I'll remove it." - Notch

koolgool
    koolgool

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:59 PM

I like this idea.

Even if it isn't used as the MAIN objective, I like the idea of goblins hunting in raiding parties, leaving to heal, and coming back to attack over periods of time.

I also think goblins should have the ability to climb ladders and open doors. Just as a side note. :)

The main thing I like about this is that the goblins aren't just any other enemy. They're smarter and capable of performing more complex tasks. Giving them the ability to build and expand their camp on their own would be great, though I imagine very difficult to code and add to the game.

Knytt said:

There already is an objective of Minecraft: To relax and get far away from everyday life, and to keep your fortress flourishing amidst the undead. Should you ever be satisfied with your base, there will always be plenty of world for you to explore. The object of the game is not to win, because winning leads to stress, and nor does it need thin excuses based on some manufactured morals. Why have an end to an adventure when you have an unlimited world to explore?

Let's say you have seized the goblin fortress, murdered all the poor goblins, robbed them of their treasures, all in the name of some god or moral, then what? Then the game ends and the stress you felt instead becomes a loss of everything you enjoyed. If you want to play more, you have to start over again, so the only true way to defeat the goblins when you keep resurrecting them again, is to not play the game anymore. Only by not playing, will you truly have won.
...so why win?
I think that after you win the game, you still get to play on. :B It would only make sense with the type of game Minecraft is.

Besides, most sandbox games have a main story anyway. Just... a lot of people choose not to participate in it. If you don't want to follow the story, good! Don't. But the existence of a story isn't going to take anything away from you.

O0o
    O0o

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:05 PM

I took the time to read this and discovered that this was a really great suggestion, I think that if Notch decided to implement this it could make playing much more fun! however It would be better as I'm sure many people would find it a pain, if it could be toggled separately to the Peaceful, normal, hard modes. Also I could see it working in the Multi-player survival mode, however the issues which you mentioned, I would expect to be worse. All in all I think its a great suggestion and that it would be a shame if Notch failed to at least check it out.

GreyAcumen
    GreyAcumen

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4570 posts
  • Minecraft: GreyAcumen

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:29 PM

I don't think there should really be more of an objective than there is already; Explore & Build. Everything else is just random encounters/dungeons that you can decide what to do with. It might be kinda cool if you could encounter an actual AI civilization existing in your world, but that you could raze it, build it up, give them gifts, or whatever you wanted.

theicychameleon

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:00 PM

I think you may be misquoting notch. Did he actually say *goblin* camps? I heard monster villages (as in existing monsters). He did say that he was considering the possibility that the game should have an ending. He never said story though (in anything I read). Personally I'd say keep the questing separate. Survival is nice and open, lets keep it that way.
Mise le meas,

Posted Image

My suggestions:
Sailing Peacocks Stellar Navigation

Volcanosf said:

Chemist98 said:

theicychameleon said:

This is a triumph!
I'm making a note here, HUGE SUCCESS.
It's hard to overstate my satisfaction.

potatosmasher

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:02 PM

I support the idea of AI civilizations, neutral, friendly, AND hostile..
Considering that no one EVER said you HAVE to go capture the Goblin Stronghold, there's no real reason it shouldn't be implemented, seriously, the only thing that would change is the possibility of a daylight mob attack, BUT WE ALREADY HAVE THAT!!! (Creepers don't die in sunlight) :SSSS:

Anyways, yes, this'd be a great idea, but it'd be EVEN BETTER if there were to be villages of NPC's that were neutral, hostile, AND friendly.

;)
But I disapprove to ANY ENDING of the game, it's a survival-based sandbox, it's not supposed to end until you click the big shiny button that says "Delete World" :SSSS:
by GreyAcumen » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:26 pm

Tree punchers. Everyone knows you use a pickaxe for rock, not your fists.

Posted Image

Posted Image

theicychameleon

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:22 PM

No need to shout :P

I disagree, a big horde of hostile mobs permenantly encamped in the next valley would change the game bigtime. Why not have this in its own mode? What would you loose by that.
Mise le meas,

Posted Image

My suggestions:

Volcanosf said:

Chemist98 said:

theicychameleon said:

This is a triumph!

MrTorus
    MrTorus

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1486 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:32 PM

theicychameleon said:

I think you may be misquoting notch. Did he actually say *goblin* camps? I heard monster villages (as in existing monsters). He did say that he was considering the possibility that the game should have an ending. He never said story though (in anything I read). Personally I'd say keep the questing separate. Survival is nice and open, lets keep it that way.

No he did confirm a narrative, and he did mention goblins and kobolds directly as weaker mobs that act in group. It's all in the source thread.
MINECRAFT FACTS: BIG LIST OF WHAT NOTCH HAS ACTUALLY SAID ABOUT THE PLANNED FEATURES OF MINECRAFT

RepublicMiner2
  • Minecraft: RepublicMiner

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:40 PM

Whats a kolbolds? :/ But anyway, no can do dude. I don't want this to turn into an RPG.
I am the guy who always starts the next page. Like a sir.Posted Image

monkeedude

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:41 PM

RepublicMiner2 said:

Whats a kolbolds? :/ But anyway, no can do dude. I don't want this to turn into an RPG.
You can have fantasy without role playing.

MrTorus
    MrTorus

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1486 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:46 PM

Exactly. Kobolds\Goblins are just archetypal enemies. They don't imply anything, really.

theicychameleon

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:58 PM

@ Torus, thats a wonderful thread, thanks for posting. I didn't realise that he specifically referred to goblin villages, heres the most recent quote I know of though: http://notch.tumblr.... ... day-update Thats what I was basing what I wrote on. Couldn't find referrences to a narrative on there but I'll take you at your word.

I still think the above suggestion would be bad for SMP/SSP though. It would make a lovely little game mode of its own though (I'd play it :)) but I like the openness of the game as it is. There should be at least one mode where players are free to choose their own objectives and narratives. Not completely free from danger of course, but not escalating battles with a grand conclusion either. Could get a bit annoying if you're building a grand castle/rail system/computer/whatever.

@Republic, its just german (and possibly swedish) for goblin.

@monkeedude, very well put.
Mise le meas,

Posted Image

My suggestions:

Volcanosf said:

Chemist98 said:

theicychameleon said:

This is a triumph!

RepublicMiner2
  • Minecraft: RepublicMiner

Posted 05 October 2010 - 11:02 PM

theicychameleon said:

@Republic, its just german (and possibly swedish) for goblin.
Ok thanks :Leaves: Clears alot up :Leaves:

@Monkeed
Yeah, but alot of Fantasy games are RPG.
I am the guy who always starts the next page. Like a sir.Posted Image

GreyAcumen
    GreyAcumen

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4570 posts
  • Minecraft: GreyAcumen

Posted 05 October 2010 - 11:12 PM

yeah, don't taint our spider-riding skeleton archers with your stupid fantasy crap.

Blindeye
    Blindeye

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 11:20 PM

Minecraft's objective would best be something that hinges on the games basic themes.

The OP's suggestion is highly combat based, and while fighting as it's place in Minecraft, it is not a combat oriented game.

The two main things you do in Minecraft is:

Mine for resources and then,
Craft them into things.

The monsters provide conflict and motivation to do so. In a narrative story, they are the 'gate guardian' archtype, constantly there as obstacle and adversity.

Therefore, the "goal" of minecraft should be to gather up enough resources to build something significant.

Here are a few ideas:

Survive the Apocalypse
The world is ending, and it will end on a specific date. Perhaps 3+ 'years' in game (determined by difficulty?). A 'year' will end up being whatever time it takes for Notch's up-coming seasonal cycle will be. On the end of days, your structures will be up against several days of night, with constant adversity and no re-spawns. If you die, you lose. If you survive for the sunrise after the apocalypse, you win. Plus you get a kick-ass epilogue: No more countdown, rebuilding a burnt, dead world.

AND/OR...

Collect the McGuffins, beat the Big Bad
This is a lot more like the OP's suggestion, but encourages more exploration and digging. There are nine special items hidden throughout the world. At the same time, once per 'year' (see above) there is an eclipse where an epic mother of all monsters traverses the world. If you collect all 9 items, place them (in any order) on your workbench you create a master weapon that allows you to fight the epic monster. Defeating it saves the world, and it drops some ridiculously awesome loot in the process.
End ignorance, myth and misinformation.
Below is the sourced list of Notch's actual words:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=49256