• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

2 x 6 Hidden stairs + retractable floor (Everything fully hidden, no exposed wires)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Fred FirtleDirt

Posted 07 July 2011 - 03:56 PM

Here is a 2 x 6 retractable floor that reveals a staircase. This is perfect for hidden bases!  I'd love to see if anyone can take this and improve upon the design. The wiring is exposed in the screens to show how it works, but it can all be hidden underground (it's all below the top level). This method requires the top portion of the floor to be either sand or gravel.

Below are screens with the explanation of how it works:
Posted Image
[The stairs/pathway closed]

Posted Image
Posted Image
[Pathway open]

The way this works is that the stairs at the top most level are swapped out for the sand and then are raised again. so down, swap, up. The second level stairs have sand placed above the stairs and then raise again. So down, place, up. The third level stairs have sand placed above the stairs, but only are raised when the sand is on them. So sand, up - and down, remove sand. The final part is the floor of sticky pistons where two levels of pistons on each side push the cobblestone and sand over, then the piston floor is raised once.

Posted Image
[The Switch near A,B,C and 2 delay circuits]

The most difficult process is the top stairs and swapping the stairs for sand. In the above picture, I have 1,2,3,4 outputs - which are delayed to go  2 & 3 than 1 & 4, and then opposite when the switch is turned off. The switch has 3 outputs, A, B, and C. B is used to control the pistons doing the swapping. A & C are used to lower the piston under the stairs/sand temporarily. I do this by using two Monostable Circuits.

Posted Image
[2 monostable circuits connected to the switch output A & C]

the reason the switch has A & C for power, which is alternated, is so that no matter which way the switch is flipped, the pistons under the first 2 sets of stairs lowers, waits, and the raises again.

Posted Image
[the side of the entrance]

For the 3rd set of stairs' pistons and the floor pistons, they only need to raise when the sand is on top, not all the time - so I connected the A/C current to a NAND gate - and then connected the other side of the gate to the B current - so if the the entrance is open, the pistons stay down, but if it's closed the pistons raise and stay up.

Here are two of the schematics:
Posted Image
[This is to get the sand and stairs to swap correctly without pushing each other for the first set of stairs]

Posted Image
[This is for the pistons under the first 2 sets of stairs to lower, wait, and raise no matter which way the switch is flipped]

I hope this helped answer how I did this. Please let me know if you have any questions... I know it's a little TL;DR... If anyone has a way to make this more compact, or use grass for the top layer please post your ideas. Thanks for reading!

Register or log in to remove.

bobthejeffmonkey
  • Minecraft: bobthejeffmonkey

Posted 07 July 2011 - 05:03 PM

Could you possibly post a video of this for us?

Bgdojo said:

Haters going to hate, but you will never see them create.

http://www.youtube.c...bthejeffmonkeys

musicaldelial said:

rock0head132 said:

Spiders be climbing in yo windows?
snatchin yo people up?
[simg]http://i51.tinypic.com/2vhu642.jpg[/simg]

Fred FirtleDirt

Posted 08 July 2011 - 12:03 PM

View Postbobthejeffmonkey, on 07 July 2011 - 05:03 PM, said:

Could you possibly post a video of this for us?

I'll do one better -- here is a link to my world: http://www.mediafire...i1bplkvuhc72ehm Feel free to run around in there and take a good look at it. I'd love to get some feedback from the redstone gurus.

OSX2000
    OSX2000

Glowstone Miner

• Members
  • 3082 posts
  • Minecraft: OSX2000

Posted 08 July 2011 - 02:45 PM

That is really damn cool. By the looks of this, one could build it on a beach, or in a desert, and it would be completely hidden when closed.

BTW, that cave you've got in your testing grounds (at -13,551) has a spider dungeon in it.
Posted Image

Lathanael
    Lathanael

Iron Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 269 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 11:13 PM

View PostFred FirtleDirt, on 07 July 2011 - 03:56 PM, said:

<snip>

Here are two of the schematics:
Posted Image
[This is to get the sand and stairs to swap correctly without pushing each other for the first set of stairs]
<snip>

You only need one of Lemurson's Reversible Signal Generator, if you build a bridge for one of the output signals which power the top and bottom piston(in that image). That would extend the hight of the circuit by 1 but would save some resources and space in width and depth.
Let me see if i can get a schematic of it ;)

EDIT:
Here we go :D
Posted Image
As you can notice, i did shrink your design a little bit, hope that helps :D

cheers
Lathanael

Fred FirtleDirt

Posted 12 July 2011 - 12:10 PM

Here we go :D
Posted Image
As you can notice, i did shrink your design a little bit, hope that helps :D

cheers
Lathanael

That's awesome! This will help make a second version much more compact. I wonder if the same can be done on the part that lowers and raises the first two sets of stairs.

Lathanael
    Lathanael

Iron Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 269 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 12:15 PM

I'll quote myself here:

View PostLathanael, on 11 July 2011 - 08:52 PM, said:

So here we go, even managed to make a little vid, bad, low quality though(And YT did screw up the brightness :( )

This is the original design. I've uploaded a MCEdit (stable version 14) schematic of a cleaner version, where only the needed blocks (mostly) are left, so one can the and understand the wirering.

HiddenDoor.schematic(right click -> save as)

I did take various bits of other people's designs and melted them with my own ideas ;). This is fore sure not the most compact one, but it's quite ok imo.

cheers
Lathanael

The Part for the hidden Stairs is what you are looking foor, so yes it can be compacted quite a lot ;) You might want to use the schematic and see how it looks ingame.