• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Eihort - An OpenGL World Viewer [Latest: 0.3.14, 2013-06-26]

• Please log in to reply
301 replies to this topic

lloigor2

Posted 06 July 2011 - 08:17 PM

Eihort is now quite out of date, and I am no longer actively maintaining this program to keep up with updates to Minecraft. If someone with programming experience would like to take over, please PM me - I would be happy to help get you started.

Download at the bottom of the post.

Eihort is an OpenGL world renderer whose primary feature is a really long view distance. With a powerful GPU, you can see well beyond 1 kb (kiloblock) with a good framerate, even in a world with complex geometry.

The program is named after the deity invented by Ramsey Campbell within HP Lovecraft's Cthulhu mythos. Eihort lives in a network of tunnels deep beneath the ground, as do I when I play Minecraft.

Screenshots

Survival Games 2:
Posted Image

High Rossferry City:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Broville:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Demo video courtesy of BitBurner.
Demo video courtesy of erich666.
Demo video courtesy of cybrbeast.
Demo video courtesy of blaxzen.

Features
  • Mostly accurate rendering of your Minecraft world
  • Extreme view distance
  • Biome colouring (for pre-Anvil worlds, you will need this)
  • Reads worlds in Anvil and MCRegion formats
  • Semi-realistic day/night cycle
  • Switch between the Nether and the Overworld
  • Move the single player spawn point and/or player position
  • Highlight many different kinds of blocks, including underground ores, dungeons, railways, etc..
  • Real-time updating (watch yourself dig/build)
  • Flexible Lua interface with which to easily add block types or extra functionality
  • Spline-based camera control (currently an experimental feature)
Download

Download links

Bug reporting: Bug reports are always welcome. Either post the issue here or create an issue in Bitbucket. A screenshot of the problem (press F2) will help a lot. For crashes and graphical glitches, a description of relevant system specs such as your platform (Windows/Mac/Linux flavour), CPU and GPU would also be appreciated. If you have a consistent problem in a specific world, it would help me a lot if you could share the world for me to test with.

Change Log

v0.3.14: Bug fixes.
v0.3.13: Works with Minecraft 1.5. Some new blocks and block fixes (thanks to rebio!).
v0.3.12: Bug fixes.
v0.3.11: Many 1.3 blocks. More config options. Sun&moon fade, moon phases. Fix some chunks not showing up. Many small bug fixes.
v0.3.10: Lighting overhaul, added sun&moon, texture pack support. Many small bug fixes.
v0.3.9: Fixed MCRegion Nether loading.
v0.3.8: Fixed some crashes and blocks. Added coloured lighting. Camera now starts at the player position. P button jumps to player position.
v0.3.7: Added basic spline-based camera control.
v0.3.6: Added vines. Fixed black grass on some hardware and nether biome colouring.
v0.3.5: Fixed: vram mem leak, coordinate display, move player button, sunset position. Added many new block types (thanks to erich666!).
v0.3.4: Crash fix.
v0.3.3: Fixed a stair-related crash and screenshot size bug. Added inverted stairs/slabs, nether brick blocks/stairs/fences. Eihort now ignores Farlands regions.
v0.3.2: Fixed some crashes and other issues. Added pages to the world menu.
v0.3.1: Anvil support. Fixed screenshots (broken in 0.3.0)
v0.3.0: Fix some crashes and corrupted areas, new Lua interface
v0.2.5: Fixed a bunch of biome bugs, added grass, shrubs and ferns, 1.6 and 1.7 blocks no longer punch holes in the world, minor optimizations to run on lower-end machines
v0.2.4: Powered rails, detector rails, webs, portals, doors, sapling variants, sign text (wall signs only), fence slats, fake directional lighting, full trees, invert mouse option, fixed torches and other minor bugs. 0.2.4b: Mac library fix
v0.2.3: Fenceposts and wall signs appear, reduced the harshness of the lighting, F2 takes screenshots, new world selection menu
v0.2.2: More blocks (ladder, pressure plates), added a button for the Nether, more highlights
v0.2.1: Biomes!
v0.2.0: Added sky, day/night cycle, spawn/player moving, ore highlights, more blocks appear correctly (snowy grass, dispenser, furnace, pumpkin, jack-o-lantern, crops, tree and slab textures, and wool colors!)
v0.1.6: Heavy optimizations, snow and slabs now appear (but may not be textured correctly), tried to reduce the occasional jerkyness when flying around
v0.1.5: Added coordinate display, minor optimizations
v0.1.4: More blocks displayed correctly, dropped CPU load (can be run in the background now), the world directory can be monitored for changes
v0.1.3: Fixed the ugly black walls
v0.1.2: No more VC runtime dependency, should work on ATI/AMD cards now, smoother flying
v0.1.1: Better error reporting, better controls, more blocks drawn correctly

Register or log in to remove.

Clash76
    Clash76

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 441 posts
  • Minecraft: Clash76

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:28 PM

Wow! Very nice with this, I'll try it out.

EDIT:

I LOVE this!!!!! You should fix the time so it loops instead of going to insane amounts. If it's not already fixed while posting this.

watermine

Posted 07 July 2011 - 11:52 PM

Looks absolutely great!
The one feature I would love to see is vertical and horizontal slicing, similar to MineViewer (Video).
Keep up the good work!

addfff000

Posted 08 July 2011 - 01:35 AM

absolutely amazing! one question, does this have changeable controls for movement etc. I ask because I am left handed I use the arrow keys to move around in games.
Posted Image

Xaggoth Cruxrithix
  • Location: Behind your computer monitor, looking back at you through the screen.

Posted 10 July 2011 - 03:43 AM

Upon execution of the program I receive "Eihort.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." and the program refuses to start. What might be causing this? I rarely encounter this type of problem while using ANY application.
The world of Minecraft only wants to eat you, and the only thing preventing it from doing so is a slightly overdeveloped brain and the technological arsenal you forged from nothing.

lloigor2

Posted 10 July 2011 - 02:46 PM

View Postwatermine, on 07 July 2011 - 11:52 PM, said:

Looks absolutely great!
The one feature I would love to see is vertical and horizontal slicing, similar to MineViewer (Video).
Keep up the good work!
Since I load up the entire world at once, I think the slicing would get a little heavy. Not nearly as smooth as MineViewer with only several chunks displayed. I could put it in, but it would require a reload of the world (like the highlighting and stuff).

View Postaddfff000, on 08 July 2011 - 01:35 AM, said:

absolutely amazing! one question, does this have changeable controls for movement etc. I ask because I am left handed I use the arrow keys to move around in games.
No changeable controls yet. That will come as soon as I get off my lazy ass and finish 0.3.

View PostXaggoth Cruxrithix, on 10 July 2011 - 03:43 AM, said:

Upon execution of the program I receive "Eihort.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." and the program refuses to start. What might be causing this? I rarely encounter this type of problem while using ANY application.
Eihort is crashing... interesting. What system are you running it on? (specifically, your OS, CPU and GPU) If you have a very old CPU, it might be that you have no SSE support. I'll make a version for older CPUs to see if that's the problem.

sevenfour
  • Minecraft: sevenfour

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:40 AM

Thanks for the update. Do you think you could add adjustable angle diffuse lighting in the future?
My texture pack:
Posted Image

inHaze_
    inHaze_

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 02:33 AM

I love this program so much, it gives such nice views of everything. Thank you so much for sharing it and providing updates. I do have one question tho, is it possible to open another world without closing the whole program? It's nothing major, just didn't know if I missed a key shortcut somewhere.

willfullcookie

Posted 14 July 2011 - 01:26 PM

Great program love the render quality but since ive updated to v0.2.5, Eihort has decided to stop redering a large portion of my world.
Oh and if you could posibly add a highlight portal feature you would be a god among men!

way2blue4u

Posted 14 July 2011 - 10:12 PM

While running Eihort when I click and try to move the mouse around to see stuff Eihort crashes within seconds, Is there anyway to fix this?

System Specs:
Intel Core i5 760 Lynnfield CPU @ 2.8Ghz
Nvidia GT 220 GPU 1GB DDR3 RAM
8GB DDR3 Patriot RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
(USB Mouse and Keyboard)

rebio
    rebio

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 10:37 AM

Hey Lloigor,
just stoped here to tell you that your program is really awsome!

* There is however a bug which makes it hard to use. When I start the game I get a Window (named "Microsoft Visual C++") Runtime Library" which tells me that "This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way". I can use the application but two big squares are blck and not displayed in any way. Sometimes the crashes right after these windows were displayed. You can have a look around the map but you can't reload it.

* Another bug is near my spawn. I have a house with multiple storeys and in each of them there are 27 Chest full with garbage. The problem is that this section does not get displayed right. I'm talink about missing block or so but rather that this section is full with random block. like about a 12 x 12 base and from the bottom to the top of the map it's filled with lava, diamond, air, wood, and so on completely mixed up.

I also have some ideas:
# May you can include some sort of slow motion so that you can a look at smaller things, the moving spped is pretty fast so far. It's nice to have a look at eg. a tunnel you build which is hard when you are moving so fats

# Another idea is that if you click in the "Extra options" section between the buttons you don't get back to the navigator. So far you get back to move the camera when you missed a button (hard but once a while it happens). If you miss the box you have to press <ESC> again to get to the menue.

# When you search for clay you can hardly see it because it's right below the surface. If clay would be more illuminated or blinking it would be easier to find (btw I know that you can use "No Block Lightning" to make it easier to find)

Cheers rebio

Update:
I tried a few thing and it seems that either 2 beds side by side and/or many chest on one spot cause the crash. After I removed the beds it worked a little bit better. After I removed my chest (about 120 large chest on a 12 x 12 x 24 room) it worked perfectly fine!

Just a note that you don't search youself to deth for the bug ;-)

cheers rebio

rebio
    rebio

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 06:12 PM

Another update.

According to the readme file in the archive in the section "Many blocks appear incorrectly" you don't know that bookshelfs also do not get displayed correctly. They just look like ordinary wood.

The "Many missing blocks" section also misses the beds. (So for the comment obve: The many chest in one spot definitelly cause the mapviewer to crash) Pictures are missing as well.

May you can include that you can select you own keys for the movements. BTW: On my PC the "Y" button moves the camera down. When you look from above to the ground you go backwards.

-rebio

Another idea: (I just don't want to make a new post just because of a small idea)
When you enter the Nether you see the Nether. However, when you get back to the normal world it can happen that you are like completelly off your map. My map is not that small but after viewing the nether I was like at -1'000; -500; +300 and first I thought there is something wrong because I just saw nothing but black.

May you can include that you are at the same spot when you get out of the nether where you actually joined the nether. For those who want to check where to make another portal you could include an option of which way you to go - either with same location or move location.

So that the space in the map viewer - which is (that must be said again) realy awsome!! - is not too crowded you could outsource that part to the place where you choose which map you want to use. Also I have not found an option to change the map. If I did not just missed it. Please integrate it.

cheers rebio

VB Brock Blocking
  • Minecraft: Brock_Blocking

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:25 AM

I never thought I'd be able to take a screen shot with all 3 of my towns in view. Thanks for this.
Very pretty.
download my mcbuilds here: http://www.planetmin.../brockblocking/

Rikkubeauty

Posted 04 August 2011 - 09:53 AM

hi there =)

Really nice job with this app, it have great possibilities !

Unfortunately I met some bugs:

- When loading little worlds it works fine but I just can't change the distance view, tried all the keyboard keys, but [ and ] don't do anything. I'm using a classic AZERTY european keyboard. Why not change to more simple keys like + and - or Pageup and Pagedown ?

- When trying to load bigger worlds (around 400Mb for the whole "world" folder"), the viewer is extremely slow on my mac and just freeze on Windows after a few seconds, that's for the version 0.2.4

- V0.2.5 insta-crash on Mac, I'm running OS-X 10.5.8 with two Intel Xeon and 6Gb of RAM.

Hope someone can help me with these problems I'm unable to fix =)

Cheers

Ed.

Adorboy
    Adorboy

Carpenter

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 09:05 PM

text is blurred i can't see anything!
Posted Image

blader4o
    blader4o

Newly Spawned

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 09:05 AM

I have a problem. When i try to start eihort i get "No regions found".

nuxas
    nuxas

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Minecraft: nuxas

Posted 23 August 2011 - 02:05 PM

There is a problem with the keys for changing view distance.
In my keyboard layout the " [ ] " keys do not have dedicated keys, they are typed using altgr+8/9.
But neither typing the characters using my layout nor typing the key where the characters are on a USA keyboard works.

Could perhaps this setting be changed in the extra options instead since I would assume it is only configured once.

Also I found the z going down, but which one goes up.

chuckletruck

Posted 23 August 2011 - 06:02 PM

No matter which machine I load on, whenever I load up my map it crashes after loading a couple chunks.  Any plans for an update?

gordoa40
    gordoa40

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • Minecraft: gordoa40
  • Xbox:gordoa40

Posted 03 September 2011 - 01:54 AM

Are you still working on this? As somebody said earlier, I have a couple worlds that crash immediately after loading a few chunks. Almost all of the worlds that do this are made with WorldPainter so maybe theres a bug in that. Please continue work on this. Its amazing.

ScotlandTom

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:29 AM

Any word on a 1.8 update for this?  I absolutely love this viewer.  It's my go-to option for getting a great overview of my Minecraft worlds.
Posted Image