25 replies to this topic

Shockah
    Shockah

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 974 posts
  • Minecraft: Shockah

Posted 02 October 2010 - 01:19 PM

No more silly blueprints and templates made using one-by-one images! It's Minecraft Blueprint Maker!
What it does? It lets you make blueprints and templates in ONE IMAGE, and EASIER than using "smilies". After designing you just send it using one button, and you get link to the image.

Screen (farmer's charm rune from Runecraft):
Posted Image

Effect:
Chrono Trigger rune from Runecraft:
Posted Image

Controls:
    [*:26no84aq]LMB to select block
    [*:26no84aq]RMB on block on panel to delete all blocks of this type
    [*:26no84aq]LMB to make this block in this place
    [*:26no84aq]RMB to make air in this place
    [*:26no84aq]Shift+LMB - scrolling view

Changelog:
    [*:26no84aq]rev 2
      [*:26no84aq]scrolling with Shift+LMB
      [*:26no84aq]sorted block/item list and added some new
      [*:26no84aq]default blueprint size is now 3x3
      [*:26no84aq]multi-layer
      [*:26no84aq]saving and loading projects (not images)

Download (rev 2)

Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

Dominic92x

Posted 02 October 2010 - 05:09 PM

You know...I just googled this today and it's funny that you just posted this!

Tried it and it is a great idea! I would the scale to at least go to 100x100 possibly and maybe a selection to have multiple layers?

Great Idea though!

Shockah
    Shockah

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 974 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 05:41 PM

That would be scale >6, why you'd want to have so big image? ;).
Maybe tomorrow I'll make scrolled editor instead of limiting image size to 600x600.

As for the multiple layers - I thought about this, but I don't know yet how to make it usable. You know - editing it isn't too hard to do, but how to make image with multiple layers... One image with layers one below another? Or maybe animated GIF? But then It'll have limited colors.

Posted Image

minecraftwb

Posted 02 October 2010 - 05:47 PM

Hah, that's crazy as I can't imagine how hard it must be to build some of these designs out using the forum editor. I imagine a tool like this would be much easier to build complicated blueprints and share on the forums. Awesome!
Posted Image

Dominic92x

Posted 02 October 2010 - 05:47 PM

Shockah said:

That would be scale >6, why you'd want to have so big image? :).
Maybe tomorrow I'll make scrolled editor instead of limiting image size to 600x600.

As for the multiple layers - I thought about this, but I don't know yet how to make it usable. You know - editing it isn't too hard to do, but how to make image with multiple layers... One image with layers one below another? Or maybe animated GIF? But then It'll have limited colors.

A scrolled editor would be neat! I already used this create as room blueprint for my server haha :P

About layers: What if you just had the opening screen be layer 0, and then when the player wanted to go to another layer they could just hit an arrow that goes to layer 1. Layer 0 would be saved in the program and Layer 1 would just be like another blank slate. But the players could easily switch back and forth between layer 0 and 1 to see if they are building things correctly.

Also, if the save and get link becomes an issue becuase of the multiple layers, is there just a way to export them directly from the editor to a folder?

Just a few suggestions. I really do like the idea though!

Shockah
    Shockah

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 974 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 05:50 PM

About layers: What if you just had the opening screen be layer 0, and then when the player wanted to go to another layer they could just hit an arrow that goes to layer 1. Layer 0 would be saved in the program and Layer 1 would just be like another blank slate. But the players could easily switch back and forth between layer 0 and 1 to see if they are building things correctly.
I know, I know, but what about saving it as image?

EDIT: Oh, you edited the post. Yeah, I can export it to file... but I have two ways to do it.
1. Pray that user has enough VRam to create new surface to draw, and then save it to file
2. Save that using old method and then download images.
I think I'll stay with #2...

Posted Image

Dominic92x

Posted 02 October 2010 - 06:11 PM

Shockah said:

I know, I know, but what about saving it as image?

EDIT: Oh, you edited the post. Yeah, I can export it to file... but I have two ways to do it.
1. Pray that user has enough VRam to create new surface to draw, and then save it to file
2. Save that using old method and then download images.
I think I'll stay with #2...

Yeah, sorry about that ninja edit! I hit submit too soon! Downloading them sounds good to me. I love this thing already ha. Add some layers and some scrolling and it's perfect (in my opinion of course)

Shockah
    Shockah

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 974 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 08:28 AM

New version! (rev 2)

Changelog:
    [*:2p5yg4s6]scrolling with Shift+LMB
    [*:2p5yg4s6]sorted block/item list and added some new
    [*:2p5yg4s6]default blueprint size is now 3x3
    [*:2p5yg4s6]multi-layer
    [*:2p5yg4s6]saving and loading projects (not images)

Download link in first post.

Posted Image

MrTorus
    MrTorus

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1486 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 12:17 PM

This would be better as an online service. But it's damn cool anyway.

Suggestion: make the blueprints smaller. They're unnecessarily big that way.
Please, read this thread:
MINECRAFT FACTS: BIG LIST OF WHAT NOTCH HAS ACTUALLY SAID ABOUT THE PLANNED FEATURES OF MINECRAFT

"If something ever doesn't feel fun, I'll remove it." - Notch

Eschie
    Eschie

Newly Spawned

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 04:53 PM

That's really good, much better than working with the smilies.

But i'm missing a blue sky block, side view from the fence and a white cloud block. :Pig: Also the different water and lava blocks(high, middle, low).

Posted Image

:SSSS:
Posted Image

Shockah
    Shockah

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 974 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 05:15 PM

This would be better as an online service.
I know, I'm learning Java right now, but it isn't going too good, so I made this app in something other.

Suggestion: make the blueprints smaller. They're unnecessarily big that way.
What do you mean by that? You can set scale to 1, and then all the blocks are 16x16.

But i'm missing a blue sky block, side view from the fence and a white cloud block. :D Also the different water and lava blocks(high, middle, low).
Blue sky block and cloud block? No problem. Side view from the fence - ok, I'll try to make screenshot of it.
No problem with different water levels, too.

Any other blocks that I should add?

Ah, and - in next version you will be able to make blueprints with up to 8 your own different blocks. And maybe labels ON blueprint.

Posted Image

NectoCro
    NectoCro

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:55 AM

Is there maximize window ?  (full screen)

With 50x50, Scale 1, Offset 0 i still need to scroll around.

And it would be great if you could add more "building" space. 150x150 would be great (infinite would be better :PP)

p.s. Posted Image

Shockah
    Shockah

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 974 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 03:03 PM

Is there maximize window ? (full screen)
Currently not, but it's on my to-do for next version.

And it would be great if you could add more "building" space. 150x150 would be great (infinite would be better :PP)
Limit is now set to 200x200, if I remember correctly, but there is a limit for query length, so right now you can make max like 40x35 (with only 1 layer), it will just not return a link if it will be larger. I'll fix it in next version, too. And about the infinite size - your RAM will just explode if you'll set it bigger than 200x200 :D

Posted Image

Corax
    Corax

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 05:05 PM

Shockah said:

Is there maximize window ? (full screen)
Currently not, but it's on my to-do for next version.

Limit is now set to 200x200, if I remember correctly, but there is a limit for query length, so right now you can make max like 40x35 (with only 1 layer), it will just not return a link if it will be larger. I'll fix it in next version, too. And about the infinite size - your RAM will just explode if you'll set it bigger than 200x200 :tnt:
Come on, even if there's a lot of overhead for the program, an array of 200 by 200 is only 40k... bytes... as there are currently no more than 256 possible values... even my ZX81 could handle that ^_^

Shockah
    Shockah

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 974 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 05:32 PM

Come on, even if there's a lot of overhead for the program, an array of 200 by 200 is only 40k... bytes... as there are currently no more than 256 possible values... even my ZX81 could handle that :DBlock:
Oh, that wasn't that bad. I just... have bad luck with using grids (not arrays - I can use only 1D and 2D arrays, and I can store id of the grid in variable for later use - I can't do the same with array).
No more than 256 possible values? I'm using numbers above 255, for extra blocks, like other block sides, arrows, color blocks.

And - I think there's a limit in gd library in PHP for image dimensions. So I think I'll just stay with 200x200. Or let the user save bigger blueprints, but not send it.

Posted Image

fotoply
    fotoply

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 05:50 PM

What about a human block(for forum picture games =))
So, I got a surprise for you!
Spoiler:

leon89
    leon89

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:14 PM

this is very cool, might i suggest having a sorting option by tiers of blocks, from rune craft. and as others have said an online version of this would be nice. and it would be nice to see the basic, non secret runes, stored as templates. possibly.  

also this is very nice to see this, i'm thinking of using this to design my F*** Yeah mountain top castle.

Shockah
    Shockah

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 974 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 08:09 PM

What about a human block(for forum picture games =))
And sheep, and creeper, and the others? No prob. :iapprove:

might i suggest having a sorting option by tiers of blocks, from rune craft.

it would be nice to see the basic, non secret runes, stored as templates.
Hmm... I haven't made this app with only Runecraft on mind, but okay, I'll do it.

So, to-do:
    [*:3s669f2i]new sending method
    [*:3s669f2i]fullscreen mode
    [*:3s669f2i]other backgrounds than fully-transparent
    [*:3s669f2i]custom blocks
    [*:3s669f2i]labels
    [*:3s669f2i]sorting blocks
    [*:3s669f2i]Runecraft templates
    [*:3s669f2i]blocks
      [*:3s669f2i]mobs (and Notch's) heads (:D)
      [*:3s669f2i]blue sky, cloud, other water/lava levels than full block
      [*:3s669f2i]side-view fence
Anything else?

Posted Image

leon89
    leon89

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 08:43 PM

Shockah said:

Hmm... I haven't made this app with only Runecraft on mind, but okay, I'll do it.
yeah, sorry, it's just that you posted there, and i was really really tired at the time. so i wasn't thinking to strait.

Shockah said:

So, to-do:
    [*:21n55d09]new sending method
    [*:21n55d09]fullscreen mode
    [*:21n55d09]blocks
      [*:21n55d09]mobs (and Notch's) heads (:o)
      [*:21n55d09]blue sky, cloud, other water/lava levels than full block
      [*:21n55d09]side-view fence
    [*:21n55d09]other backgrounds than fully-transparent
    [*:21n55d09]custom blocks
    [*:21n55d09]labels
    [*:21n55d09]sorting blocks
    [*:21n55d09]Runecraft templates
Anything else?
yes
    [*:21n55d09]block list of current blocks out, with block count of each and total blocks used
    [*:21n55d09]select/copy/cut/paste groups of blocks, or whole layers
    [*:21n55d09]Smart shapes such as full and hollow circles, squares, triangles, lines.
      [*:21n55d09]this can wait and be implemented over time.
those are the most important things i can think of.

Dominic92x

Posted 05 October 2010 - 05:44 AM

Great work on this man! I love it!