Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

An Effective Slime Farm - Blueprints Inside

• Please log in to reply
227 replies to this topic

ljgraber123
  • Minecraft: ljgraber123

Posted 02 July 2011 - 06:24 PM

How big is a chunk? As in dimensions in number of blocks.

Register or log in to remove.

Soonscapez

Posted 02 July 2011 - 06:26 PM

How do you spawn slimes? SPC?

Kastrel
    Kastrel

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1233 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 06:57 PM

View PostMonkeyteapot, on 02 July 2011 - 11:54 AM, said:

If I carve out 3 Chunks are Slimes sure to spawn? I just don't want to mine it all out only to find they wont spawn

Not at all. I selected those three chunks using the program. You need to find eligible chunks FIRST, then build the farm. The odds of a chunk having slimes is only 1/10.

View Postkhl23, on 02 July 2011 - 12:11 PM, said:

Excellent thread  :Diamond:  :Diamond:  :Diamond:  :Diamond:  :Diamond: for you sir, one question I have heard water can be used to spawn slimes faster, is this true or unknown ?

Unknown, but I doubt it. There are also rumors that they are found near lava. I myself have 4 natural slime spawns I found on my own, all of them had lava. You know why? Because they were all below layer 16! As they should be! That I am aware, its just a coincidence.

View Postljgraber123, on 02 July 2011 - 06:24 PM, said:

How big is a chunk? As in dimensions in number of blocks.

16 wide, 16 long, 128 tall.
Posted Image

crazygrof

Posted 02 July 2011 - 07:41 PM

glad to see my question spawned a useful thread.
if anyone is a good artist and would like some work, contact me. I want a new avatar.

Monkeyteapot
  • Minecraft: Monkeyteapot

Posted 02 July 2011 - 07:57 PM

View PostKastrel, on 02 July 2011 - 06:57 PM, said:

Not at all. I selected those three chunks using the program. You need to find eligible chunks FIRST, then build the farm. The odds of a chunk having slimes is only 1/10.

Okies, sorry to sound stupid but how does the program on the link work? The "Get from level.dat" bit... whats all that about?

Kastrel
    Kastrel

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1233 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 08:01 PM

View PostMonkeyteapot, on 02 July 2011 - 07:57 PM, said:

Okies, sorry to sound stupid but how does the program on the link work? The "Get from level.dat" bit... whats all that about?

Level.dat is the file that stores the data for your world. You need to find your Minecraft saves folder, and, using the program's browser, go into the world you are looking for, then click on Level.dat.

Basically:

1. Find Minecraft folder
2. Go into Saves Folder
3. Go into the folder for the world you want to check
4. Click level.dat, NOT level.dat_old

Then you need to pick coordinates to check. This can be a little annoying as well.
Posted Image

cheesemanxl

Posted 02 July 2011 - 08:21 PM

How long will you usually have to wait for slimes to spawn? I dug out a 2 chunk by 1 chunk by 2 block high area and i've been waiting in my 25 block away area. I think i might just be extremely impatient.  :lol:
Posted Image

Kastrel
    Kastrel

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1233 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 08:23 PM

View Postcheesemanxl, on 02 July 2011 - 08:21 PM, said:

How long will you usually have to wait for slimes to spawn? I dug out a 2 chunk by 1 chunk by 2 block high area and i've been waiting in my 25 block away area. I think i might just be extremely impatient.  :lol:

Are you sure they are slime eligible? Also, making more floors will increase the chances of slimes spawning.

Either way, sometimes I've gone 20 or so minutes without slimes, but I had a 1x3 chunk with 3 floors. My spawn rate is somewhat higher than most.
Posted Image

cheesemanxl

Posted 02 July 2011 - 08:34 PM

Posted Image

This is what my farm looks like. Any I did make sure they were eligible for slime spawning. Guess ill just have to expand.
Posted Image

Kastrel
    Kastrel

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1233 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 08:51 PM

View Postcheesemanxl, on 02 July 2011 - 08:34 PM, said:

Posted Image

This is what my farm looks like. Any I did make sure they were eligible for slime spawning. Guess ill just have to expand.

Thats perfect. Build more 2 height floors above/below the first one. The ceiling will kill off huge and large slimes, breaking them into mediums. And be patient with them. =)
Posted Image

trebze
    trebze

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 09:01 PM

Although your numbers are impressive (3500 is impressive to me) I do feel it is a lot of work for not so much. I don't mean to appear aggressive, but on my part, I just did a 1 chunk room in with and length, 5 blocks high. It clearly does not yield as much as you (I have 27 slime balls), I feel it is sufficient. I don't think I will ever need more than 500 actually ^^. Anyway, I thank you for your explanation, as it has inspired mine.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Kastrel
    Kastrel

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1233 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 09:13 PM

View Posttrebze, on 02 July 2011 - 09:01 PM, said:

Although your numbers are impressive (3500 is impressive to me) I do feel it is a lot of work for not so much. I don't mean to appear aggressive, but on my part, I just did a 1 chunk room in with and length, 5 blocks high. It clearly does not yield as much as you (I have 27 slime balls), I feel it is sufficient. I don't think I will ever need more than 500 actually ^^. Anyway, I thank you for your explanation, as it has inspired mine.

You are certainly right! 500 is an absurd amount of slime balls.

For me, I'm also participating in a "chest of every resource" kind of challenge, however, so 3500 is the bare minimum I need!
Posted Image

Calinou
    Calinou

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1464 posts
  • Minecraft: Calinou

Posted 02 July 2011 - 09:38 PM

Great, but this requires much, much digging. Personally I have a quite big branchline at layer 13 (head height) in SMP. Still no slimes, but if I would be in SSP...

Kastrel
    Kastrel

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1233 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 09:42 PM

View PostCalinou, on 02 July 2011 - 09:38 PM, said:

Great, but this requires much, much digging. Personally I have a quite big branchline at layer 13 (head height) in SMP. Still no slimes, but if I would be in SSP...

Not much more digging than any standard mob grinder, but yes, it takes a while. Took me 2 days I think?
Posted Image

Alpha-Beta-Gamma

Posted 02 July 2011 - 10:13 PM

Thanks heaps for this! I quickly built a four level one of these just one chunk big, move back about 2 chunks and wait for about 5 minutes then I just go in and harvest all my slimes!

Posted Image

Kastrel
    Kastrel

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1233 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 10:17 PM

View PostAlpha-Beta-Gamma, on 02 July 2011 - 10:13 PM, said:

Thanks heaps for this! I quickly built a four level one of these just one chunk big, move back about 2 chunks and wait for about 5 minutes then I just go in and harvest all my slimes!

Glad to help! Enjoy your pistons!
Posted Image

Alpha-Beta-Gamma

Posted 02 July 2011 - 10:17 PM

View PostSoonscapez, on 02 July 2011 - 06:26 PM, said:

How do you spawn slimes? SPC?

If you really want to use mods for it, you type in: /spawn slime and then put in the number of slimes you want.

Posted Image

Bilbo_VII

Posted 03 July 2011 - 12:52 AM

Thanks for making this post! Since 1.7 came out I was desperate to find out an easy and fast way to get slimeballs and you have just given one to me.
Diamonds for you :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond:

Monkeyteapot
  • Minecraft: Monkeyteapot

Posted 03 July 2011 - 01:13 AM

No luck at this end, admittedly I've only got a single chunk mined out but surely I should see something? the area is lit up every block across every other row down and a union jack pattern on the ground... am I missing something?

MINER NOT MINOR
  • Minecraft: MINERnotMINOR

Posted 03 July 2011 - 02:10 AM

That's cool but... I just get plenty of Slime the old fashion way.

Posted Image