• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Emily's guide to aesthetically pleasing home (Updating soon!)

• Please log in to reply
563 replies to this topic

emily_2010
    emily_2010

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1046 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 05:30 AM

POPULAR

9-13-12
Well I think i've lost just about every creation in these photos, if anyone has a copy of them I would greatly appreciate it if you could upload it for us to use. otherwise, it's all gone for good. but no worries! I plan on making more, i'm not sure how long it will take me though.

Thanks to everyone who has kept this thread alive, I was so happy to find that this thread is still around. I'm going to try and keep adding more content and improving it so it sticks around a bit longer Posted Image

So, the old guide wasn't much of a guide, I pretty much showed you an owl then told you to draw it, as someone pointed out lower in the posts lol. So this one is going to try to be more in depth. It will probably take me awhile to get it completely finished so leave some feedback on anything I could explain better. I'm not really sure how to throw this all together so i'm just going to dump all my ideas and techniques in here for you all to look through and slowly get it sorted out. Posted Image

I didn't use a texture pack on this one, I think the regular texture pack looks great , you just have to put some effort into it.. If you can't make it look good without a texture pack, why make it at all ;p

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh look, It's this house again. The house that makes everyone on your server cringe. How often have you joined a server only to find the spawn covered with these? I can't stand them which is why I ended up making this guide in the first place.. so here's some ways you can fix it.   Also, here's a video version that someone was kind enough to make. Check his video out and subscribe :D http://www.youtube.c...91?feature=mhee

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Normally when I make a house I go to Realtor.com and just start searching neighborhoods for a style of house I like, but in case you don't have the time to lets start with some basic things I do when I make quick starter houses.

Posted Image

Posted Image

When I make quick houses I start with one wall, like the one on the left. I usually make it 6 blocks across with both ends in stone or some other contrasting block, same with the 2 blocks under the window. This way it doesn't look to bland, I always try to use 2-3 different block types on the walls so the house stands out more. On the sides of the windows I place trap doors to use as window shutters, and when I make houses with more than 1 floor I sometimes make flower boxes that hang in front of the window, just 2 dirt blocks and some signs. You can use trap doors instead of signs, either one looks great.

With this house I decided to make it with 2 floors, so I just made more of the walls on each side into a box. pretty simple ;p

Posted Image

Now for the roof Posted Image

Posted Image

This part is pretty simple, Just place the steps however you want them, I made the roof on the second floor face the other direction just to keep it interesting, It's starting to look good but it still needs alot of improvement.

Overhangs

so the roof still looks boring and doesn't fit in well, So I add overhangs. I just extend the roof out one block on the sides and use a slab peice to go on the edges, all of the stair blocks have matching slabs so it works perfectly..  all slabs are also fireproof, including wood so they allow us to add fireplaces too

Posted Image

Next I added a porch, it doesn't look that great but I didn't want the house to be too plain and boxy, It's also good protection if you want to step outside and check for creepers that might be waiting for you.

Posted Image

Here's the fireplaces I usually make, I use stone buttons above it and glass panes, If your house is made of wood then the entire wall and all blocks above it in about a 3 block radius need to be half slabs or it will burn..
Posted Image

I found out that you could place signs on signs and they would float, perfect for wooden beams
and porches.. They don't have to touch the ground, They just are in the picture.
Posted Image

Here's a cafe I made with them on my map, Pine Valley. http://www.minecraft...-with-download/

Posted Image

That's all I can think of for the guide , if anyone wants anything else added into the guide I can do that, just leave a comment..

Here's some of my more advanced houses, I spent alot of time on them and they aren't something I could really make a guide for.. hopefully they can help give you ideas though. They are all avalible to download on my planetminecraft page. Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here's another house i'm making on a server with a friend, it's all legit so it's taking awhile to get the materials we need

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

PigPlushy
    PigPlushy

Iron Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 317 posts
  • Minecraft: ninjamudkipzz
  • Xbox:mrboo1ean

Posted 01 July 2011 - 05:32 AM

Nice "Guide" and i like your designs

Just looked at this again almost a year later, and I love what you've done with it. Wonderful designs!
-6/13/12

Posted Image

S0uL_Gaming
  • Minecraft: iiiTzPrahdigi

Posted 01 July 2011 - 05:32 AM

Wow..Nice guide:D

3pjx
    3pjx

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 128 posts
  • Minecraft: 3pjx
  • Xbox:nero1818

Posted 01 July 2011 - 05:33 AM

your really good with nice, not over the top houses...
http://www.youtube.c.../3pjx  <------- click here... or under there vvvvvPosted Image

origami_101
  • Minecraft: Origami_101

Posted 01 July 2011 - 05:36 AM

Those look amazing.  I never thought of using trapdoors as shutters.  I wish I was this creative.
Posted Image

emily_2010
    emily_2010

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1046 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 05:51 AM

Posted Image

PigPlushy
    PigPlushy

Iron Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 317 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 06:49 AM

If you can spawn, put logs under the ground (in the ground level with the grass) and then put leaves that u spawned on top and u can make hedges

Posted Image

beholdenmcpeter

Posted 01 July 2011 - 06:59 AM

I think I'll use these.:)
Posted Image

emily_2010
    emily_2010

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1046 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:02 AM

View PostPigPlushy, on 01 July 2011 - 06:49 AM, said:

If you can spawn, put logs under the ground (in the ground level with the grass) and then put leaves that u spawned on top and u can make hedges

I was wondering how people did that! Thanks :)
Posted Image

GideonW
    GideonW

Carpenter

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:20 AM

oh god i love that 3rd picture

emily_2010
    emily_2010

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1046 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:29 AM

View PostGideonW, on 01 July 2011 - 07:20 AM, said:

oh god i love that 3rd picture

I have the map with the house in the 3rd picture if anyone wants it :)
Posted Image

PigPlushy
    PigPlushy

Iron Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 317 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:19 AM

Ill post pics soon of the house i built, with auto cactus farm, or you guys can just join the server (its whitelisted until bukkit gets updated)

69.197.191.110 is the ip, try in a day or two

Posted Image

klaudkil
    klaudkil

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 154 posts
  • Minecraft: klaudkil

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:40 AM

THOSE windows shutter are fantastic..gonne try it out now

Yakety
    Yakety

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:59 AM

The window shutters look lovely.  I'll have to add that to my current build.

I'd like to see how you decorate your interiors as well.

Ash10
    Ash10

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:26 PM

This is great I love how the chimney's are integrated so well into the houses and run down the side of the building. I'm going to have to work on my home tonight. It sucks that theres so little clay in my world! <_<

Reomero
    Reomero

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Minecraft: Reomero

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:36 PM

Never thought of window shutters.... May add that on future buildings.
Also, even though I prefer homes based on modern architecture, I really like how you designed these homes. :)
Posted Image

Skellormulth

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:43 PM

Saw a few step-by-step tutorials - I guess you should do it like them. You only show finished houses and tell them "lol do it like me". I don't think that helps much.

David164v8

Posted 01 July 2011 - 02:13 PM

Well, I tried :3
Posted Image
Posted Image

It went okay I guess, but I can't think of how to do an interior and I can't do an upstairs because the roof is way too shallow.  :iapprove:

EDIT: Ooooh, can I have the map from the 3rd picture?

CollyDee
  • Minecraft: CollyDee

Posted 01 July 2011 - 02:36 PM

View PostSkellormulth, on 01 July 2011 - 12:43 PM, said:

Saw a few step-by-step tutorials - I guess you should do it like them. You only show finished houses and tell them "lol do it like me". I don't think that helps much.

well shes not here to tell you how to replicate her houses, shes just trying to give some examples and inspiration, tips if you will, on how you can improve your own house, if she posted a step-by-step, then there would be a bunch of the same house and that in itself is not ''AESTHETICALLY'' pleasing.

Skellormulth

Posted 01 July 2011 - 04:18 PM

View PostCollyDee, on 01 July 2011 - 02:36 PM, said:

well shes not here to tell you how to replicate her houses, shes just trying to give some examples and inspiration, tips if you will, on how you can improve your own house, if she posted a step-by-step, then there would be a bunch of the same house and that in itself is not ''AESTHETICALLY'' pleasing.

Well, yeah sure. But its like

Posted Image

Sure I can get inspiration out of this but if I would be new and wouldn't know how to create good looking Houses this wouldn't help me much. I get get the same result out of every other Picture Thread.

But its nice anyway, but not a Guide or a tutorial :)