• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

lucun
    lucun

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 02:14 AM

Some people have posted about some methods of climbing cliffs. My idea is that there isn't a durability on use but a duration of time. Probably one durability value per second. Lag and other problems may cause some problems, but there's gotta be some risk climbing a wall, right? We know Notch will add adventure mode which we cannot build in, so ladders may not be build-able and etc. The reason of a time duration is for the fact that if a player just climbs up a mountain while being chased by mobs, he could hide up a cliff and wait for sunrise or hang still without consequences, and a timed duration requires the player to pay attention to his "claws and move quickly along cliff sides. In order to use the claws, just swap to the item as the wielded item, and right click a wall that does not hold a torch/ladder/painting/etc. To unmount the wall, right click when not aiming at a climbable, in-reach wall to be let go from the player's current position. Only stone, bedrock, ore blocks, and other blocks a mining pick is used to destroy may be climbed (as dirt and sand and stuff will easily give way.) The player is unable to move to places which require them to climb any unclimbable blocks (or just fall off.) You cannot fight or mine or use other items, but may look around with the mouse. To move while "climbing", "W" is up, "A" and "D" are side to side, and "S" is to go downward. The player will not automatically go downward as they do on ladders! A player may right click on a reachable wall to swap walls. If the player swap his/her wielded items to something other than the claws in use, you will fall. The player is able to swap back to the claws and recover!

The claws may be programed to treat the walls as if they had ladders, but the player will not slowly descend and cannot fall off when the wall climbing is within allowed factors. I don't know anything about how Minecraft is programed, but thats a thought.

To craft the claws, it may be:
:Diamond:  []  :Diamond:
:|:  []  :|:
[]  []  []

The diamonds may be swapped with iron ingots, gold ingots, cobblestone(*), and wooden planks(*).

* Cobblestone and wooden planks may be too weak to bear the weight of a human being? Maybe scratch out gold, but this does add another use for gold which may prove a nice alternative to more commonly used diamonds and iron ingots.

Durabilities (something like this):
:Diamond: = 300 seconds (half a day on the cliff!)
:Iron: = 60 seconds (almost enough to go from sea level to highest build point or bedrocks)
:cobblestone: = 30 seconds
:GoldBar:  and  :wood: = 15 seconds

If i remember correctly... it takes a second to move a block's worth on a ladder?

EDIT: Forgot to include uses in adventure mode: the generator could generate pitfalls for players to escape and passages/puzzles to treasure requiring the claws... Anything could happen with a giant hole in the ground!
This is also useful to climb up a hole you fell through by accident to avoid certain death by being mauled by mobs or fall damage if the player can mount the wall while falling.

EDIT 2: Note that I said players can swap to a reachable wall, allowing the player to jump around.

EDIT 3: added moar time to iron/cobblestone/gold/wood to balance, and this will stop you from falling!

Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

DinoFight

Posted 28 September 2010 - 02:16 AM

Cool
Sincerely, DinoFight

Odysseus
    Odysseus

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 02:19 AM

I approve of the concept.

deathzero021

Posted 28 September 2010 - 02:49 AM

a way of climbing mountains and walls would be nice. i don't agree with the time based durability though. it should be per-block like everything else is.

lucun
    lucun

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 02:57 AM

deathzero021 said:

a way of climbing mountains and walls would be nice. i don't agree with the time based durability though. it should be per-block like everything else is.

A player could just jump upward with with if it was per block use... Also, the claws, in my mind, are intended to be a temporary (maybe emergency?) means of climbing not hanging. The timer causes players to move it and think fast, not hang up there and watch zombies burn and etc, making them a bit overpowered. Players could just dig/mine a upward tunnel than use this if they're not in a hurry.
   Combat is already a fast paced in Minecraft as most of the mobs bumrush you except the skele... I guess it's for combat uses such as escape. My intent of the claws sort of changed while i wrote the main post. IDK... any opinions?

edit: Also, a whole minute of climbing from an iron claw is close to long enough to climb around from sea level to the highest buildpoint or bedrocks... only TWO pieces of iron and some sticks.

Posted Image

Korby
    Korby

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 03:36 AM

If hanging there with no consequence is overpowered, then we shouldn't be able to make tiny shacks with a torch in them and just stay there until day.

UberFubarius

Posted 28 September 2010 - 04:00 AM

lucun said:

deathzero021 said:

A player could just jump upward with with if it was per block use... Also, the claws, in my mind, are intended to be a temporary (maybe emergency?) means of climbing not hanging. The timer causes players to move it and think fast, not hang up there and watch zombies burn and etc, making them a bit overpowered. Players could just dig/mine a upward tunnel than use this if they're not in a hurry.
   Combat is already a fast paced in Minecraft as most of the mobs bumrush you except the skele... I guess it's for combat uses such as escape. My intent of the claws sort of changed while i wrote the main post. IDK... any opinions?

You could force them to have to have it out when climbing. So they can't dig while holding it.
Make it per-block would probably be more reasonable.

-S-
    -S-

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1408 posts
  • Location: In my mine somewhere dark, I hear noises. Get me out of here!
  • Minecraft: Trok

Posted 28 September 2010 - 04:01 AM

+10000 love this idea.

HEROCRAFT Whitelisting Team

Trok

XelNigma
    XelNigma

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 645 posts
  • Minecraft: XelNigma

Posted 28 September 2010 - 04:06 AM

umm... I use ladders...
"I would agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong."

-S-
    -S-

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1408 posts
  • Location: In my mine somewhere dark, I hear noises. Get me out of here!
  • Minecraft: Trok

Posted 28 September 2010 - 04:09 AM

XelNigma said:

umm... I use ladders...
but ladders arn't as fun. :o

HEROCRAFT Whitelisting Team

Trok

lucun
    lucun

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 04:25 AM

deathzero021 said:

You could force them to have to have it out when climbing. So they can't dig while holding it. Make it per-block would probably be more reasonable.

It has to be out or they will drop if they swap items lol. Any who, the reason I wanted the claws to be limited by time in use is because this method is supposed temporary, wanting the player to think fast on where to move before he falls... a bit realistic over just hanging there without the rocks giving way or the claws breaking apart due to your weight or your grip slipping or something... then again, torches aren't realistic either, and they better stay that way :D.

XelNigma said:

umm... I use ladders...

How will you climb stuff when Notch adds adventure mode? No building stuff allowed. Of course the dungeon generator or whatever could make ladders... but wheres the fun in that?

Posted Image

Nanerboss

Posted 28 September 2010 - 04:39 AM

That would be very useful, good idea.
Diamond here, Like a Boss.

caDe
    caDe

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 05:07 AM

I like this.
Sometimes, when no one is watching..
I dig straight down.

Spychosis
    Spychosis

Forum/Wiki Sponsor

• Curse Premium
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 05:37 AM

I was thinking about how fun it would be to jump off cliffs and use these claws to stop your fall. I could also imagine having a sweet obstacle course.

Icalasari
    Icalasari

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1026 posts
  • Minecraft: Icalasari

Posted 28 September 2010 - 05:44 AM

Korby said:

If hanging there with no consequence is overpowered, then we shouldn't be able to make tiny shacks with a torch in them and just stay there until day.

Aren't torches going to become limited in life span? :Glass:

lucun
    lucun

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 10:37 AM

Spychosis said:

I was thinking about how fun it would be to jump off cliffs and use these claws to stop your fall. I could also imagine having a sweet obstacle course.

I'm growing fond of this idea lol. Might aswell allow people to recover from falling.

Posted Image

sonic1909

Posted 28 September 2010 - 10:49 AM

I am just thinking of using these for infiltration, like in castles.
Me:*climbs up wall*
Guards in tower:"Hey, there's someone climbing up the wall!"
Me:*Lets go of wall and falls into pre-arranged pit*
????????
PROFIT!!!
DO NOT PM ME ABOUT MY AVATAR. I WILL NOT ANSWER
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

lucun
    lucun

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 11:01 AM

sonic1909 said:

I am just thinking of using these for infiltration, like in castles.
Me:*climbs up wall*
Guards in tower:"Hey, there's someone climbing up the wall!"
Me:*Lets go of wall and falls into pre-arranged pit*
????????
PROFIT!!!

Minecraft PVP? :D
I always had this thought of castlewars (If you've played runescape when you were like in elementary school, yes this castlewars) being made into Minecraft. Underground tunnels to dig through, battlements, tnt to blow up the walls. Some people asigned as miners for better materials for better equiment... etc etc. and no one steal this idea btw! The mincraft combat system is pretty cool in my opinion. Fast paced and FPS like.

Posted Image

AnomieDog
  • Minecraft: AnomieDog

Posted 18 April 2011 - 06:13 PM

A Grappling Claw - I was thinking of this exact same thing.

And I completely agree with the damage over time instead of per strike. Dmg per strike would make them last potentially way too long. Maybe additional damage would occur with harder materials as well, so you can climb dirt longer than wood and wood longer than stone. This way people couldn't just find a spot and hang there forever.

One thing, I think the Crafting should be a little more complicated. Having just one ingot and a stick is far too easy and people wouldn't think twice about making them.  My idea would require two swords, two leather, and two Ingots like this:

Posted Image

This would apply for gold and diamond as well.

I was also thinking if you were next to a ceiling block, you could climb across ceilings as well. controls would be the same as walking, only you are hanging. Again, you cannot dig while you are using the claw, only place blocks or torches. To change from ceiling to wall or wall to ceiling you would need to be next to the block, highlight the block face you want to switch to, and hold shift and right click. (or something similar)

I think you should be able to climb and hang from any type of block, but if you try to hang from sand or gravel it will always fall down, and climbing sand or gravel will have a 50% chance of crumbling while climbing which will cause you to fall, requiring you to re-click to grab on again.

I think this item could also be used as a weapon as well, with damage equal to the swords. Only as a weapon they have a much shorter range.

Awesome Idea and I'd love to see it implemented.

*RE-EDIT: Player would hold shift and right click the wall to start climbing it. Once on a surface, Player could hold shift and click an adjoining surface to move to that surface (Ceiling/Opposing wall). Shift + Right click the surface you are currently on would detach you, and allow you to fall. If you scroll away from the claws, you won't fall, so you can scroll to the next item and right click to place blocks/torches. You will effectively be stuck in that spot until you switch back to the claws and continue moving (Less of a challenge, but it would prevent accidental falling from unintended switching and would allow players to place torches if they're climbing into a dark pit)

themohawkninja
  • Location: In the Nether getting shot at by GhastTamer's Ghast.
  • Minecraft: themohawkninja

Posted 18 April 2011 - 06:15 PM

This would be a nice alternative to having ladders everywhere.
All map threads here: http://www.minecraft...ap-mega-thread/.........

Irony below.

Posted Image