Latest News Article

Minecraft X-Ray 2.7 [release] [+src] [+video]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
318 replies to this topic

plusminus

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:45 PM

NEW THREAD HERE

This thread is locked until the author contacts a moderator to unlock it,
since it seemingly have been abandoned (last update in October 6 2010)
and there's a new thread who have taken it's place //
Basic

[b]Minecraft X-Ray[/b]
A 3D world viewer with the specific purpose of finding minerals and caves.

[b]Main changes since last version (mainly due to feedback! need more feedback!)[/b]
[list]
[*] Added mac-osx command, so people with OSX can easily start the program (no tested)
[*] Fixed bug if people were outside the maximum range. Maximum range is nu 1024 instead of 64. (explore that)
[*] Attempted to fix water rendering (not quite done)
[*] Lava and Water are now always visible and never filtered out
[*] Land under water (ocean floor, if you will) is now always visible
[*] First attempt at correctly rendering torches. not quite there yet, but better.
[*] FPS is now limited (VSYNC) at the refresh rate selected at the dialog[/list]

[b][center][size=180][url=http://minecraftresource.com/downloads/minecraft_xray_2.7.zip]**** download here ****[/url][/size]
(I uploaded it at 'minecraftresource.com', good luck with that project guys.)[/center]
[/b]

[size=150][b][center][url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRHMq6FwYlI]Youtube Video Here[/url][/center]
[/b][/size]

[center][url=http://minecraftresource.com/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2010/09/minecraft1_full.jpg][img]http://minecraftresource.com/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2010/09/minecraft1_mini.jpg[/img][/url]
(click for enlargement)[/center]

Changelog:
06/10/2010 2.7
[list]
[*] Added mac-osx command, so people with OSX can easily start the program (no tested)
[*] Fixed bug if people were outside the maximum range. Maximum range is nu 1024 instead of 64. (explore that)
[*] Attempted to fix water rendering (not quite done)
[*] Lava and Water are now always visible and never filtered out
[*] Land under water (ocean floor, if you will) is now always visible
[*] First attempt at correctly rendering torches. not quite there yet, but better.
[*] FPS is now limited (VSYNC) at the refresh rate selected at the dialog[/list]

04/10/2010 2.6
[list]
[*] Completely refactored the way the program deals with level data, it now loads the ENTIRE level in memory, but uses efficient byte arrays, so it consumes LESS memory than before and it is faster as well. There are some glitches still, but its much improved.
[*] Set java version target to 1.5 instead of 1.6, so all mac users should be able to run it[/list]

27/09/2010 2.5
[list]
[*] added shell script (for mac and linux) and command line script (windows)
[*] fixed mac default directory (actually it checks for both now)
[*] fixed out of memory error (128mb is not enough for everyone!) for all launchers. (now set it to max 1gb)
[*] handles 'os not supported' to gracefully exit now (report if this hapens though)
[*] added windows 2003 support
[*] can now teleport to your spawning point. (pressing HOME will teleport you there)
[*] now starts at your currently saved position. (pressing END will teleport you there)
[*] now draws the current player position and the position of the spawnpoint on the map
[*] holding SHIFT now makes you go faster
[*] pressing LEFT CONTROL now makes you go straight down
[*] press NUMPAD_1 -> NUMPAD_6 to determine the size of the visible world. (warning: large areas will load SLOWLY, render SLOWLY and consume a lot of memory etc)
[*] press + or - to increase or decrease the light
[*] pressing ` will toggle a tab with some info (like memory usage and current location : note - memory usage is maximum heap size, not currently used size)
[*] made large widescreen resolutions the default picks in the resolutiondialog (if available)[/list]

25/09/2010 2.0
[list]
[*] changed the way maps are loaded and filtered, fixing a few bugs where blocks were filtered out too agressively
[*] now loads/shows a much larger area of the map
[*] loading of 'new' area's delayed for a smoother experience
[*] you can toggle which minerals you would like to see
[*] you can toggle wheter selected minerals 'glow' (and are visible through solid ground to spot them more easily)
[*] added nifty loading bar on the screen so you can see when the program is loading a new part of the map
[*] you can toggle wheter to show the world in 'fullbright' mode or with lightning enabled. In the latter mode (now default) blocks further away appear darker (See video)
[*] changed the texture filtering to 'no filter', so it is exactly like minecraft
[*] (due to demand) added mobspawners to the list of things to look for, toggle them to make them glow etc[/list]

Hello All,

this is the fifth release of my program. As always it includes the java source code. 

Again this is only a bugfix release, please look at the list of changes for an overview.

I've not made a new video, I don't think the changes warrant that yet. This is mostly a bug-fix / make things smoother release. Enjoy!

Previous thread here: http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=41957

Kind Regards,
- Plus

As always, I really appreciate feedback, ideas, bug reports, performance reports and request. So please try it out and let me know how it works and what you think.

[b]Keys[/b]
   'WASD' to move
   'SPACE' fly upward
   'LEFT CONTROL' fly downward
   'TAB' to show a world map, 
   'ESC' to quit,
   'F1-F6' toggle mineral types (starts with all mineral types 'off')
   'F8' - toggle mineral glow (starts with mineral glow on)
   'F9' - toggle 'fullbright' mode or 'lighting' mode (starts in lighting mode)
   'F10' to toggle fullscreen.
   '+' Increase lighting range
   '-' Decrease lighting range
   NUMPAD_1 to NUMPAD_6 (remember Num Lock (!)) . Set the visible world range. default = 3
   Hold 'SHIFT' to go faster (2x)

Register or log in to remove.

superhans

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:15 PM

This is awesome. Thanks so much!!!!

clinisbut

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:24 PM

Nice, but could you please just keep a single thread and update it with each new version? I was checking your first topic for two days!

plusminus

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:30 PM

clinisbut said:

Nice, but could you please just keep a single thread and update it with each new version? I was checking your first topic for two days!

I could! the main reason I didn't was to keep feedback 'current' to the last version :S

clinisbut

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:55 PM

Ok I understand.

One thing to note.
I see everything very bright, even in lighting mode (background black). In lighting mode, I see all textures as seen in your youtube video when you enable fullbright mode. It's the same except with black background.

plusminus

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:58 PM

I've increased the default 'lighting' range. with the black background, try pressing '-' a few times, the lowest setting should have a substantial effect. (only a 'few' tiles visible)

can you also tell me your OS, graphics card etc? :Diamond:

clinisbut

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:06 PM

I'm using Windows7, and have an NVidia 9600 GT.

greythought

Posted 28 September 2010 - 12:07 AM

I downloaded this, but I receive a  "Could not find the main class" error.
Anyone have a clue?

Phatal
    Phatal

Newly Spawned

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 01:26 AM

I'm running a Mac OS X Leopard, 10.5. The file un-zips and everything, but which file do I open to open up the software. If it's the xray.jar file [.jar are the runnable apps on Mac.] then it doesn't work. It says "File could not be run. Check the Console for possible error messages.

ThyKraken

Posted 28 September 2010 - 01:58 AM

Yay! it totally works for me now, thanks!

kofrad
    kofrad

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 02:00 AM

Thanks a bunch for this program! I'm running Ubuntu 10.10 reporting no problems.

I've been searching for something like this that properly runs on linux basically since I got minecraft. Thank you for using your time to develop and distribute this program!

One question I can't help but wonder, what happens if I make it to the edge of the explored world? I imagine no more chunks can be rendered, I just couldn't bring myself to try for fear of breaking a world lol.
-- --
chKn.baucks

Justles
    Justles

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • Minecraft: Justles
  • Xbox:Kidbomber

Posted 28 September 2010 - 02:09 AM

Phatal said:

I'm running a Mac OS X Leopard, 10.5. The file un-zips and everything, but which file do I open to open up the software. If it's the xray.jar file [.jar are the runnable apps on Mac.] then it doesn't work. It says "File could not be run. Check the Console for possible error messages.

Im also wondering the same thing ;'(
Posted Image

If you need a request PM and if I like it , I might do it for free. :)

Lilboarder32

Posted 28 September 2010 - 02:34 AM

Phatal said:

Here's how I go about running it on Mac OS X 10.6:
1. I open up terminal
2. I type "cd " and then drag the minecraft_xray folder into the terminal window. (This just inserts the filepath of the folder, you can manually type it in if you know it correctly. The space is also required between "cd" and the filepath)
3. I then paste the following command and hit enter:

java -Xmx1024m -cp AppleJavaExtensions.jar:jinput.jar:lwjgl.jar:lwjgl_test.jar:lwjgl_util.jar:lwjgl_util_applet.jar:lzma.jar:xray.jar -Djava.library.path=. com.plusminus.craft.XRay
     I got this code from Caffeinix here:

Caffeinix said:

This is an awesome tool, thanks!  Also thanks for the Mac port.
[...]

For those having problems with stalling progress bars: this may be the Java virtual machine running out of memory.  You can typically fix this by adding a parameter to the Java command line to give the VM more RAM.  The full command line would look like this:

java -Xmx1024m -cp AppleJavaExtensions.jar:jinput.jar:lwjgl.jar:lwjgl_test.jar:lwjgl_util.jar:lwjgl_util_applet.jar:lzma.jar:xray.jar -Djava.library.path=. com.plusminus.craft.XRay
The 1024m there means "give Java one gigabyte of RAM".  Obviously if you don't have more than one GB of RAM, replace that with a smaller number (like 512).

Here's another tip for Mac and Linux users who don't want to remember that command line every time.  Change to the minecraft_xray directory in Terminal and type these commands one after another:

echo "#!/bin/sh" > xray.sh
echo "java -Xmx1024m -cp AppleJavaExtensions.jar:jinput.jar:lwjgl.jar:lwjgl_test.jar:lwjgl_util.jar:lwjgl_util_applet.jar:lzma.jar:xray.jar -Djava.library.path=. com.plusminus.craft.XRay" >> xray.sh
chmod u+x xray.sh
Then, from now on, to launch it you can just type:

./xray.sh

Hope that helps!

Justles
    Justles

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • Minecraft: Justles
  • Xbox:Kidbomber

Posted 28 September 2010 - 03:15 AM

Lilboarder32 said:

Phatal said:

Here's how I go about running it on Mac OS X 10.6:
1. I open up terminal
2. I type "cd " and then drag the minecraft_xray folder into the terminal window. (This just inserts the filepath of the folder, you can manually type it in if you know it correctly. The space is also required between "cd" and the filepath)
3. I then paste the following command and hit enter:

I got this code from Caffeinix here:

Caffeinix said:

This is an awesome tool, thanks!  Also thanks for the Mac port.
[...]

For those having problems with stalling progress bars: this may be the Java virtual machine running out of memory.  You can typically fix this by adding a parameter to the Java command line to give the VM more RAM.  The full command line would look like this:

The 1024m there means "give Java one gigabyte of RAM".  Obviously if you don't have more than one GB of RAM, replace that with a smaller number (like 512).

Here's another tip for Mac and Linux users who don't want to remember that command line every time.  Change to the minecraft_xray directory in Terminal and type these commands one after another:

echo "#!/bin/sh" > xray.sh
echo "java -Xmx1024m -cp AppleJavaExtensions.jar:jinput.jar:lwjgl.jar:lwjgl_test.jar:lwjgl_util.jar:lwjgl_util_applet.jar:lzma.jar:xray.jar -Djava.library.path=. com.plusminus.craft.XRay" >> xray.sh
chmod u+x xray.sh
Then, from now on, to launch it you can just type:

./xray.sh

Hope that helps!

Works like a charm now :tnt:. Only thing that bugs me is the torches being all weird and stuff. Not sure if thats universal with the rest of teh OS but for Mac its kinda meh. Other then that it works rather well and quickly.
Posted Image

If you need a request PM and if I like it , I might do it for free. :)

gronk
    gronk

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 03:20 AM

Great Work!  Thanks very much.  

Yes, it works on Mac OSX, with the included minecraft_xray.sh, no need to create another script.

plusminus

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:55 AM

yes, it should work on a mac using

minecraft_xray.sh

I'm sorry if that was not clear. (no mac here, so I'm unfamiliar with it)

Regarding the torches. Yes, it's bugging me as well. (mostly because of the transparancy which is not working correctly... well, it is working correctly, but I'll just have to render it differently xd)

For the next release I have the following in mind
    [*:1b6s8437] fixed torches (perhaps even render them like minecraft does... this requires more work than it seems on first sight, since I'll need to parse different data from the level)
    [*:1b6s8437] keyboard remapping
    [*:1b6s8437] select different minerals / textures to 'glow'. (I hear about this "clay" thing, altough I've never found it myself)
    [*:1b6s8437] support for level loading from different directories (basically SMP support)

featherblade

Posted 28 September 2010 - 12:09 PM

Posting to bookmark this. May be of use for my own mining theory guide (in my sig).
DO YOU WANT LIMESTONE, MARBLE, and LESS COAL!?
A simple suggestion on geology here.
~~~
Slaves of the Coal Mine

An interesting Novel to pass the time.

Garh
    Garh

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 06:04 PM

Hey!

This looks really cool and I want to thank you for making this program. Unfortunately, I'm having some trouble running it. When I've selected my world, it loads properly untill the 'black screen'. I see the map and the F-keys etc., however, it loads extremely slow (it takes 15+ minutes). I have changed the memory usage for Java to 1024mb, but still, it won't load.

Any ideas what the problem is I seem to be having?

Cheers,

Garh

plusminus

Posted 28 September 2010 - 06:09 PM

@Garh:
does the same happen on all your worlds?
what kind of computer do you have?

Garh
    Garh

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 06:13 PM

plusminus said:

@Garh:
does the same happen on all your worlds?
what kind of computer do you have?

Fairly old PC (windows), but it can handle Minecraft easily (ofcourse). I have 3,3GB RAM, so that should definitely be enough for X-ray. CPU runs up to 100% when it starts, could my processor be that old..? :)

And yes, all my worlds. Another odd thing, the Frames per Second run up to 1500-2000...

Thanks for the quick response,

Garh