• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Xankara
    Xankara

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:30 AM

They just make more sense to me than gliders. After all, gliders don't really cut it around floating continents after all.

Register or log in to remove.

A.I.
    A.I.

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 3589 posts
  • Minecraft: A.I.

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:48 AM

I think we should not have helicopters because, in any stable and effective form, they're a fairly modern invention.
I want to join you sleeping peaceful, feeling the sun in our room...

Posted Image

LAG_Master

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:51 AM

In all honesty riding a giant bird of somekind would make more sense than a helicopter in this game. Plus it would be so much cooler imo.

Trippledot

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:16 AM

Xankara said:

They just make more sense to me than gliders. After all, gliders don't really cut it around floating continents after all.
I disagree, a glider makes alot more sense in Minecraft's timezone (still using silly little swords)

but we would need higher cliffs for gliders to be fully effective in my opinion.

Your friendly neighborhood dragon. Don't be scared, I won't bite!
I am here for you, Don't be afraid to send me a message.

Posted Image

Xankara
    Xankara

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 12:18 PM

Well saying that helicopters don't fit the time period isn't really a reason to not have them.

After all, TNT, powered mine carts, eventual mechanical gears and circuits of red stone don't paint a medieval time period for me, and besides how would hang gliders fit into a medieval setting? If the idea ruins the game for you wouldn't it be as simple as not using them in the first place?

It doesn't really need to be a helicopter, it could be anything else. I just think that a creatable flying object would be fun in Minecraft and help for those stuck on small floating islands.

Trippledot

Posted 27 September 2010 - 12:24 PM

i don't really think its medieval. before guns, during gunpowder. (i wouldnt know what time period that would be)

Why not just use gliders if you are stuck on a floating island? since it is floating, you have alot of space to launch.

Your friendly neighborhood dragon. Don't be scared, I won't bite!
I am here for you, Don't be afraid to send me a message.

Posted Image

Stereo
    Stereo

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 12:32 PM

Xankara said:

Well saying that helicopters don't fit the time period isn't really a reason to not have them.

After all, TNT, powered mine carts, eventual mechanical gears and circuits of red stone don't paint a medieval time period for me, and besides how would hang gliders fit into a medieval setting? If the idea ruins the game for you wouldn't it be as simple as not using them in the first place?

It doesn't really need to be a helicopter, it could be anything else. I just think that a creatable flying object would be fun in Minecraft and help for those stuck on small floating islands.
First of all; I'd say Minecraft is in it's own time period; not a medieval setting. After all, it is another world and earthly time periods might not fit.

As for the WE NEED SOMETHING TO FLY; as mentioned before, a tameable, rideable bird (or some other kind of aerial creature) would be better as it gives more uses for saddles and well, even though Minecraft doesn't have it's own period, a helicopter doesn't fit that well with the theme Notch has set, in my opinion.
This may seem like a signature, but don't be fooled.

It IS a signature.

Xankara
    Xankara

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 01:00 PM

Trippledot said:

Why not just use gliders if you are stuck on a floating island? since it is floating, you have alot of space to launch.

The problem with that is that gliding isn't actually flying, and for small floating islands there wouldn't be much space to jump from, or much height.

Stereo said:

First of all; I'd say Minecraft is in it's own time period; not a medieval setting. After all, it is another world and earthly time periods might not fit.

Well I only mentioned that to reply to previous comments, arguing that helicopters would not fly in the 'time zone'.

Stereo said:

As for the WE NEED SOMETHING TO FLY; as mentioned before, a tameable, rideable bird (or some other kind of aerial creature) would be better as it gives more uses for saddles and well, even though Minecraft doesn't have it's own period, a helicopter doesn't fit that well with the theme Notch has set, in my opinion.

You don't need to shout (caps mean shouting). While the idea of taming dragons and giant eagles sounds great to use for flying, this would probably bring up a host of problems. How would you tame them? Would taming be easy (right click with saddle) or would you need other things? How would your new mount survive, and how would you ensure it didn't fly off and die or worse, turn hostile when you accidentally shoot it?

I don't mean to shoot your idea down it sounds great. But a creatable flying device seems to be simpler and easier to implement (acts by increasing speed and swimming through air maybe). As mentioned before in floating island style maps you could be limited in resources, and this would be a viable alternative instead of creating dirt bridges between the islands.

Thanks so far for your input and suggestions.

Abishot
    Abishot

Newly Spawned

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 10:11 PM

Helicopters would be a SICK Idea! I know that there are the people that say "Minecraft = Medieval" or some other time period but think about it, Minecraft is based on building ANYTHING. I want a castle, BOOM, epic. I want a cave dungeon, BOOM, dangerous. I want to make a four bit calculator out of torches, BOOM, mathematical! I want an underwater library/greenhouse/grow-opp, BOOM, illegal.

Point is, if someone wants it, it should be done, at least in a mod. Steam Punk airship mod is pretty sweet and if you think about it, it "fits" but it could do so much more!!!!

I was tinkin of formulating a CH 45 CHINOOK mod with a crafting bench, storage, and working back hatch. That way, I could use cartographer to find the densest cave systems on my maps, excavate the crap out of them, come to the surface with my loot, pour it all into the chopper and fly home. I DON'T GIVE A F*CK IF THE CHOPPER DON'T FIT. GET USED TO IT.

END.

JebusChrist666
  • Minecraft: JesusChrist666

Posted 24 March 2011 - 10:14 PM

How would you craft this?And wouldn't it be OP because you could kill everything while flying?
As we sin, so do we suffer.

Arkisys
    Arkisys

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1588 posts
  • Minecraft: Arkisys

Posted 24 March 2011 - 10:16 PM

Hellicopters? HELL OF NOO!!!

N3ea4R
    N3ea4R

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 10:20 PM

guys guys guys, every day some einstein suggests an air vehicle. BUT WHY? I mean I spawn. I wanna survive the first night. Build what ever I want. so where I wanna fly? Terrain will gereice randomly and I could fly the next two weeks in one direction and ? nice landscape and if I die I have to respawn and fly two weeks againaslong you aren't in a online mode ore a story with a huge amount of npcs and citys there is no need of an car or an plane!

soccerbrian7

Posted 24 March 2011 - 11:04 PM

it would make the game too easy and thats not what minecraft is all about. dumb idea think of something more "minecrafty" like flying birds or riding dragons

reed-field

Posted 24 March 2011 - 11:32 PM

no

redpine
    redpine

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 11:39 PM

What is a helicopter?

Runs on fuel.
Slow horizontal movement.
Medium vertical movement.

A powered air balloon would be identical to a helicopter in terms of fuel, movement, speed, and shape, but would fit minecraft better.  Then, if you want a helicopter, just use a mod to retexture the air balloon.

What is a plane or glider?

Runs on fuel.
Medium to fast horizontal movement.
Slow or no vertical movement.

This could be a bird, unicorn, plane, or whatever.  I don't care.  Once implemented, mods can make it look however you want it to look.
Posted Image

Calth
    Calth

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 12:09 AM

Please please PLEASE go back to battlefield, not all games need to have chest high walls, space marines, survival "horror", nukes, helicopters, guns, zombie survival, blah blah blah

blackrave

Posted 25 March 2011 - 12:19 AM

Calth said:

Please please PLEASE go back to battlefield, not all games need to have chest high walls, space marines, survival "horror", nukes, helicopters, guns, zombie survival, blah blah blah

Dude, you DO understand that there is zombies in survival mode, right???

Mt.popsicle

Posted 25 March 2011 - 12:20 AM

Chocolate helicopters (you tube search that(left 4 dead 2 spoof)).  And no, this is really modern.  Notch is thinking about adding dragons that will most likely help people's fly problems.  This would only work in a mod.
I am just a guy looking for good suggestions that are original, creative, and match the theme of Mine-craft.  I have some mob ideas that I need help forming which is a community project.

Calth
    Calth

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 12:22 AM

Whoa, bro, bro, bro, bro.  You DO realize there is zombies in games that aren't zombie survival, right????????????

I mean, dude, you're not like, defending against like, waves of zombies?

blackrave

Posted 25 March 2011 - 01:16 AM

Calth said:

Whoa, bro, bro, bro, bro.  You DO realize there is zombies in games that aren't zombie survival, right????????????

I mean, dude, you're not like, defending against like, waves of zombies?

OOOOhhhh, that type of survival. Yeah, I can see what you meant now.