Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Should I Switch PhysX Over To My CPU


  • Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1

Wolffe
    Wolffe

    Glowstone Miner

  • Members
  • 3152 posts
  • Location: US

Posted 20 June 2011 - 06:54 AM

On my home gaming rig, I feature a PNY Nvidia GTX 460 XLR8, 3 Gigs of ram (Four, but XP 32 bit only allows Three), and an AMD 3.4 GHz Deneb. This card is last generation, but still manages to play most games like Crysis 2 on max settings, however I am trying to squeeze as much performance out of it as I can.

My processor is very powerful, and rarely overwhelmed, even when gaming gets heavy. I figured I might be able to increase my cards performance by switching PhyX from the GPU, to the CPU.

Please tell me what you guys think about this.

Register or log in to remove.

#2

TheFieldZy
    TheFieldZy

    Blaze Extinguisher

  • Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 4030 posts
  • Location: In the sea

Posted 20 June 2011 - 07:01 AM

The best option I could find was to set it to auto.
Computer Parts Guide
Thinking about coming a mod to simply not moderate.

#3

Wolffe
    Wolffe

    Glowstone Miner

  • Members
  • 3152 posts
  • Location: US

Posted 20 June 2011 - 07:04 AM

View PostTheFieldZy, on 20 June 2011 - 07:01 AM, said:

The best option I could find was to set it to auto.

By default it is running on the GPU, but I'm looking to take load of of my GPU, as my CPU isn't even breaking a sweat when playing games on max. I'm never satisfied, not until  every last drop is squeezed from my components.

Edit: Managed to pull some info from the web, typically it really isn't possible for  a CPU, even if it is more powerful, the graphics card has more dedicated cores, making simulating small entities easier.

#4

_j03_
    _j03_

    Ghast Hunter

  • Members
  • 2843 posts
  • Location: Finland

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:29 PM

Don't do that. It will increase cpu load huge amount. And like you said, the gpu's have dedicated parts to do the job.

#5

Flamers1500
  • Minecraft: Flamers1500

Posted 20 June 2011 - 03:21 PM

Also many games still don't use PhsyX so you might not notice a difference :)
Posted Image

#6

Wolffe
    Wolffe

    Glowstone Miner

  • Members
  • 3152 posts
  • Location: US

Posted 22 June 2011 - 01:37 PM

Yeah, I love my computer, but next time I upgrade, I'm going all out, instead of using this case from the 90's, it gets really hot in their. I think the CPU I am using, the AMD 965 Deneb quad core 3.4 Ghz, was used to set an overclocking record, I heard about it on Linus Tech tips I believe.

#7

Flamers1500
  • Minecraft: Flamers1500

Posted 22 June 2011 - 01:45 PM

Do what I did, I got a cheap case and a drill :D
Posted Image

#8

Wolffe
    Wolffe

    Glowstone Miner

  • Members
  • 3152 posts
  • Location: US

Posted 26 June 2011 - 06:04 PM

View PostFlamers1500, on 22 June 2011 - 01:45 PM, said:

Do what I did, I got a cheap case and a drill :D


Like make a heat grill? That could work, it wouldn't be pretty. I guess I could just use a Saw's All.

#9

_j03_
    _j03_

    Ghast Hunter

  • Members
  • 2843 posts
  • Location: Finland

Posted 26 June 2011 - 06:33 PM

View PostFlamers1500, on 22 June 2011 - 01:45 PM, said:

Do what I did, I got a cheap case and a drill :D
Or just pay few bucks more and get good case at once. Cooler master haf 912, Antec 200 or Antec 300. All of them are fairly cheap but have great ventilation.

#10

IVI4tt
    IVI4tt

    Void Walker

  • Members
  • 1905 posts
  • Location: confirmed. Airstrike inbound.
  • Minecraft: IVI4tt

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:50 PM

PhysX was designed for nVidia GPUs
nVidia GPUs were designed with PhysX support in mind.

Therefore, you should let your GPU do the work it's designed for.
Posted Image
Come check out Snowblind, my adventure map!

#11

Wolffe
    Wolffe

    Glowstone Miner

  • Members
  • 3152 posts
  • Location: US

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:17 PM

View Post_j03_, on 26 June 2011 - 06:33 PM, said:

Or just pay few bucks more and get good case at once. Cooler master haf 912, Antec 200 or Antec 300. All of them are fairly cheap but have great ventilation.

Next upgrade, thats what I intend to do. I want a Lanboy Air, up to twelve fans.

View PostIVI4tt, on 26 June 2011 - 07:50 PM, said:

PhysX was designed for nVidia GPUs
nVidia GPUs were designed with PhysX support in mind.

Therefore, you should let your GPU do the work it's designed for.

Hi IVl4tt, been a while, Anyway, you have a point, PhysX does run on Radeon cards according to many people, as it is a good program, its used to great effect with Mass Effect 2. You do have a point though.

Also, with every benchmark I have seen, the equivalent Nvidia card always beats the Radeon, I love AMD, but not their graphics cards.

#12

_j03_
    _j03_

    Ghast Hunter

  • Members
  • 2843 posts
  • Location: Finland

Posted 26 June 2011 - 09:30 PM

View Postcaseyds620, on 26 June 2011 - 08:17 PM, said:

Next upgrade, thats what I intend to do. I want a Lanboy Air, up to twelve fans.



Hi IVl4tt, been a while, Anyway, you have a point, PhysX does run on Radeon cards according to many people, as it is a good program, its used to great effect with Mass Effect 2. You do have a point though.

Also, with every benchmark I have seen, the equivalent Nvidia card always beats the Radeon, I love AMD, but not their graphics cards.
Lanboy air is the stupidest case ever, sorry to say :-) You can just guess the amount of dust that goes into your rig. And 12 fans are pointless, it even performs worse if you put them all in there because they block each others air flow. It's much better to have more closed case with two fans in front, one at the back and one at the top. That's the most optimal fan configuration you can get.

And no, AMD cards won't run physx. With amd based systems physx turned on, the cpu takes care of the physx. That's why AMD based systems perform so badly with physx on.

#13

TheFieldZy
    TheFieldZy

    Blaze Extinguisher

  • Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 4030 posts
  • Location: In the sea

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:06 PM

Official supporter of the cooler master HAF 912 : D NZXT makes pretty good cases too.
Computer Parts Guide
Thinking about coming a mod to simply not moderate.

#14

_j03_
    _j03_

    Ghast Hunter

  • Members
  • 2843 posts
  • Location: Finland

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:18 PM

View PostTheFieldZy, on 26 June 2011 - 10:06 PM, said:

Official supporter of the cooler master HAF 912 : D NZXT makes pretty good cases too.
NZXT makes the most awesome cases, but they come with prize too :P If I had the money, phantom would be my number one choice for the case.

#15

TheFieldZy
    TheFieldZy

    Blaze Extinguisher

  • Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 4030 posts
  • Location: In the sea

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:45 PM

View Post_j03_, on 26 June 2011 - 10:18 PM, said:

NZXT makes the most awesome cases, but they come with prize too :P If I had the money, phantom would be my number one choice for the case.
The Phantom is one of my favorite cases.  I love how it looks. Its very sleek and slim.
Computer Parts Guide
Thinking about coming a mod to simply not moderate.

#16

Wolffe
    Wolffe

    Glowstone Miner

  • Members
  • 3152 posts
  • Location: US

Posted 27 June 2011 - 01:04 AM

View Post_j03_, on 26 June 2011 - 09:30 PM, said:

Lanboy air is the stupidest case ever, sorry to say :-) You can just guess the amount of dust that goes into your rig. And 12 fans are pointless, it even performs worse if you put them all in there because they block each others air flow. It's much better to have more closed case with two fans in front, one at the back and one at the top. That's the most optimal fan configuration you can get.

And no, AMD cards won't run physx. With amd based systems physx turned on, the cpu takes care of the physx. That's why AMD based systems perform so badly with physx on.


Whoa, its not lame, it has a whole bunch of useful features, such as air suspended hard drives, and modular configuration, I do like the other Antec's, but the Lanboy fits my style.

Its personal preference when it comes to these sorts of things, no need to bash my opinions. Also, I heard there was a hack solution to that PhysX thing, but regardless, I always go Nvidia, in most benchmarks, they get superior performance compared too the Radeon equivalent, I do however love AMD processors, they are what I like, regardless of what people try to tell me.

#17

randosity42

Posted 27 June 2011 - 01:17 AM

no no no no no AND UH NO. Physx + cpu = 20fps

no exceptions even thousand dollar processors can't get over 30fps. Not to mention crysis doesn't use hardware physx so....no.

#18

_j03_
    _j03_

    Ghast Hunter

  • Members
  • 2843 posts
  • Location: Finland

Posted 27 June 2011 - 01:32 AM

View Postcaseyds620, on 27 June 2011 - 01:04 AM, said:

Also, I heard there was a hack solution to that PhysX thing, but regardless, I always go Nvidia, in most benchmarks, they get superior performance compared too the Radeon equivalent, I do however love AMD processors, they are what I like, regardless of what people try to tell me.
Well there isn't. It requires certain things to be in the gpu, that amd don't have. And actually AMD offer much better performance:price ratio when it comes to gpu's.

#19

TheFieldZy
    TheFieldZy

    Blaze Extinguisher

  • Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 4030 posts
  • Location: In the sea

Posted 27 June 2011 - 01:58 AM

View Postcaseyds620, on 27 June 2011 - 01:04 AM, said:

Whoa, its not lame, it has a whole bunch of useful features, such as air suspended hard drives, and modular configuration, I do like the other Antec's, but the Lanboy fits my style.

Its personal preference when it comes to these sorts of things, no need to bash my opinions. Also, I heard there was a hack solution to that PhysX thing, but regardless, I always go Nvidia, in most benchmarks, they get superior performance compared too the Radeon equivalent, I do however love AMD processors, they are what I like, regardless of what people try to tell me.
Antec cases have pretty good cooling, but they are pretty old too.  They are missing a lot of features that you will make your life  a hell of a lot easier. Things such as tool less installation, cable management, etc. come in handy. A couple other cases I would recommend would be the Lancool  (or lian li on newegg) K62 or K63.  Plus, the lanboy is ugly.
Computer Parts Guide
Thinking about coming a mod to simply not moderate.

#20

_j03_
    _j03_

    Ghast Hunter

  • Members
  • 2843 posts
  • Location: Finland

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:01 AM

View PostTheFieldZy, on 27 June 2011 - 01:58 AM, said:

Antec cases have pretty good cooling, but they are pretty old too.  They are missing a lot of features that you will make your life  a hell of a lot easier. Things such as tool less installation, cable management, etc. come in handy. A couple other cases I would recommend would be the Lancool  (or lian li on newegg) K62 or K63.  Plus, the lanboy is ugly.
I agree that they don't have tool less installation, but they do have these days pretty good cable management.