3 replies to this topic

reconrey
    reconrey

Gold Miner

• Retired Staff
  • 493 posts
  • Minecraft: reconrey

Posted 19 June 2011 - 03:07 PM

Well this is a design I made for a 3 and a 4 input XOR and XNOR gate. It is just my vertical design but with more input areas. It functions the same as a regular xor/xnor gate, when the inputs do not equal the output is on (or opposite for xnor gate). I do not think that this will have to much of a practical uses...but it might, maybe more useful when pistons come out. Thanks.

Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

JacaByte

Posted 19 June 2011 - 03:31 PM

This isn't a true XOR/XNOR gate, because by typical standards and conventions an XOR gate outputs a 1 when the number of inputs that are 1 is odd; yours is true even when the number of true inputs is even. The opposite is true of XNOR gates; an XNOR gate is false when the number of inputs that are true is odd. These gates may still have uses, but it can't be used as a multi input XOR/XNOR gate.

Read this for a more thorough explanation: http://electronics.w...than_two_inputs

reconrey
    reconrey

Gold Miner

• Retired Staff
  • 493 posts
  • Minecraft: reconrey

Posted 19 June 2011 - 04:57 PM

View PostJacaByte, on 19 June 2011 - 03:31 PM, said:

This isn't a true XOR/XNOR gate, because by typical standards and conventions an XOR gate outputs a 1 when the number of inputs that are 1 is odd; yours is true even when the number of true inputs is even. The opposite is true of XNOR gates; an XNOR gate is false when the number of inputs that are true is odd. These gates may still have uses, but it can't be used as a multi input XOR/XNOR gate.

Read this for a more thorough explanation: http://electronics.w...than_two_inputs

Oh...according to the Minecraft Wiki: "A device which activates when the inputs are not equal to each other." is an xor gate. so I figured that more than 2 inputs it would still be classified as an xor gate. Thanks.
Posted Image

Xinhuan
    Xinhuan

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • Curse Premium
  • 602 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 09:09 PM

View Postreconrey, on 19 June 2011 - 04:57 PM, said:

Oh...according to the Minecraft Wiki: "A device which activates when the inputs are not equal to each other." is an xor gate. so I figured that more than 2 inputs it would still be classified as an xor gate. Thanks.

The main idea for X-input XOR gates is that when ANY input toggles, the output also toggles. That's why odd=true and even=false.