Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

128x Skin, possible?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

TampaPowers
  • Minecraft: TampaPowers

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:05 PM

I was wondering, since texture packs are already in 128x or even 256x resolution, if its also possible to size up the skin like so?

Register or log in to remove.

kinizx
    kinizx

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 724 posts
  • Minecraft: kinizx

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:07 PM

nope 16x for skins since u upload them to the minecraft server for others to see..
[BOOM BOOM] CURRENTLY PLAYING = NOTHINGPosted Image

MrMineNCraft

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:09 PM

Actually I believe it is possible if the skins are within the texture packs. of course it won't work in multiplayer though, only you will be able to see your high detailed skin; and anyone else who is using default skin will look the same as you.

Take a look at this Misa's 64x64 she has some nice default skins:

http://www.minecraft...6may/#downloads

Hope this helps.

P.S. You "must" be using default skin for the skins in the texture packs to work.
Posted Image Scroll down please!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Minian14
    Minian14

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Minecraft: Minian14

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:13 PM

Hi-res skins in minecraft look kinda creepy
Posted Image

Aeron
    Aeron

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1136 posts
  • Minecraft: Voldzito

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:33 PM

It is possible, because I coded it myself, though you need a different server to host the skins. Dungeon Craft will feature High Definition Skins and Cloaks for players based on their Official Minecraft Nicknames and will require for them to upload the images on our server. It supports images up to 512x256 resolution, which is very High Quality!

Posted Image

TampaPowers

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:58 PM

View PostAeron, on 16 June 2011 - 10:33 PM, said:

It is possible, because I coded it myself, though you need a different server to host the skins. Dungeon Craft will feature High Definition Skins and Cloaks for players based on their Official Minecraft Nicknames and will require for them to upload the images on our server. It supports images up to 512x256 resolution, which is very High Quality!

Any chance you release that code for other servers too? Id like to try that out.

Aeron
    Aeron

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1136 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:12 PM

There is already a mod, that does that, it also allows you to add ears, but I don't like them, because ears in MC is lame and childish, in my opinion.

Here is the link for the mod (I couldn't find the link to the minecraftforum.net thread, but it is here somewhere):
http://www.mcmodcent...oad.php?did=198

Posted Image

TampaPowers

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:19 PM

View PostAeron, on 16 June 2011 - 11:12 PM, said:

There is already a mod, that does that, it also allows you to add ears, but I don't like them, because ears in MC is lame and childish, in my opinion.

Here is the link for the mod (I couldn't find the link to the minecraftforum.net thread, but it is here somewhere):
http://www.mcmodcent...oad.php?did=198

So you are not going to release your code. Aww. Well, i might aswell read the java book and do it myself.

Aeron
    Aeron

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1136 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 12:15 AM

No, sry, because as I said before you need a different server to host the skins and also you need for everyone to have the mod or they won't see your skin and you won't see their skins, if they haven't uploaded their skins to the different server to host the skins.

Dungeon Craft will have its own Skin Library
and releasing a separate mod, that uses the library server isn't in my plans.

Theoretically there might be a way to set up a check weather the server has a skin for the user and if it doesn't have the image, it will try to download the skin from the amazon server, which is currently the official server on which all MC user skins are stored, but I will try that later on, not in the priority list.

Posted Image

TampaPowers

Posted 17 June 2011 - 01:09 AM

View PostAeron, on 17 June 2011 - 12:15 AM, said:

No, sry, because as I said before you need a different server to host the skins and also you need for everyone to have the mod or they won't see your skin and you won't see their skins, if they haven't uploaded their skins to the different server to host the skins.

Dungeon Craft will have its own Skin Library
and releasing a separate mod, that uses the library server isn't in my plans.

Theoretically there might be a way to set up a check weather the server has a skin for the user and if it doesn't have the image, it will try to download the skin from the amazon server, which is currently the official server on which all MC user skins are stored, but I will try that later on, not in the priority list.

Well, instead of having such a custom mod for the public connect to your server, why not let them have to get their own library up. For me atleast, i could put up a skin library up with no problem.

Aeron
    Aeron

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1136 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 09:31 AM

I only know how to hardcode the server adress within the client, not sure how to make it readable from a file (though I am sure it can be done that way)

Posted Image

TampaPowers

Posted 17 June 2011 - 11:56 AM

View PostAeron, on 17 June 2011 - 09:31 AM, said:

I only know how to hardcode the server adress within the client, not sure how to make it readable from a file (though I am sure it can be done that way)

I think its worth a try, im sure there are a bunch of people who would like that.

Anyways, i did experiment with this a bit and got a 128x skin to work with SP, but on multiplayer i get a bad login error. So i guess the server doesnt like these large skins. And indeed, they look creepy, especially if you use a picture of yourself as a face :S

Aeron
    Aeron

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1136 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 12:13 PM

Well the thing is, that, for example, the cloaks work in way, where if a cloak image is for the username, then it renders it, if the server doesn't have the image, it doesn't render. I believe that same way it would be possible to tell the game to render the skins from amazon servers, if the skin isn't on the custom server, but I won't do it (for now), and even if I do it, it will be only for DC.

Posted Image