birjolaxew
    birjolaxew

Forum/Wiki Sponsor

• Members
  • 1583 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 10:15 AM

Outdated! This tutorial is outdated!

Birjolaxew's texture pack tutorial - The Complete Guide

Hello, and welcome to my very first tutorial on this forum. I'm going to show you how to install texture packs on a machine running Macintosh or Windows. I'm running OS X Snow Leopard and Windows 7, but I believe you can install it the same way if you're using another version.

Table of Content:

Introduction
We're not entirely done with our small-talk yet. First off, I want to make sure you understand exactly what a texture pack is. A texture pack is in it's most basic form, a skin altering the way you see the blocks. Image small decals on every single block in the game. These decals are the same for every block of a specific type (Dirt, Stone, Iron and so on). We call these decals textures. If you install texture packs, you simply replace these stickers with new ones. Now, lets end our small-talk and get started with the real thing!

Finding a texture pack
First step, is to find the texture pack you want. A good place to search is right here, in the Mapping & Modding section of the forum. I'll recommend this thread, giving a quick overview of some of the most popular texture packs.

Posted Image

Once you've selected one click the [Download Texture Pack - Alpha] link below the name. For this tutorial I've chosen the Brown & Bloom texture pack.

Posted Image

The Windows Version
Most of the time, the texture packs will be bundled inside a .zip or .rar file. This reduces the file size of the textures allowing for faster downloads. However, you can't just open such files like normally as Windows doesn't have an .zip/.rar extractor built in. Luckily, you can easily download and install extractors from the internet. The two most popular ones are WinRar and 7zip. Once you've downloaded and installed one of the extractors you should be able to open the .rar/.zip file normally. A small window will pop up, showing the content of the pack. This differs a lot, depending on how much of the textures the pack you've chosen replaces. In my example it replaces all of them.

Posted Image

Installing the texture pack
Installing texture packs on Windows takes a bit more work comparing it to the Mac version, but as you've already downloaded WinRar it should be easy enough. First off, open "Run". If you're on XP/Vista type in "%appdata%\.minecraft\bin", and if you're on Windows 7 type "C:\Users\*YourName*\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\bin" instead. Doing so should open up Windows Explorer and take you to a specific folder. Inside the folder you'll find a single folder, 4/5 .jar files and a file named "version".

Posted Image

What we're going to focus on is the .jar file called "minecraft". Right click it, hover your mouse over "Open with" and choose "Winrar archiver". This will open WinRar, and show you a long mix of folders, .png files and class files. Now, simply drag and drop the files from the texture pack straight into WinRar. This will replace the similar files inside, and next time you open Minecraft the textures will be installed!

The Mac Version
Most packs will have download links, usually bundled in a .zip file. To extract such files, you would need a .zip and/or .rar extractor. You should easily be able to find such by googling. If not, follow  this link. Once you've extracted the files, you should have a bunch of different .png files, and some folders, depending on how much of the game, the texture pack actually replaces. In my example, it replaces every block.

Posted Image

Installing the texture pack
When it comes to installing texture packs, Mac users have a far easier way compared to Windows users. We'll just have to extract the texture pack into the same folder we've placed Minecraft.

Posted Image

Once we've located the folder, we'll just have to grab the files directly from our texture pack, and place them in our Minecraft folder.

Posted Image

And that's it! Next time you run Minecraft it should have the updated textures applied!

Still didn't get it? Well, I made a quick and very bad video tutorial! Here it is:

ibRgRx6TLj0

Made by Birjolaxew

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Mega Bear said:

Not really a game... just a mass suicide you're inviting people to take part in.

What is this, I don't even

Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

Lafolie
    Lafolie

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 01:51 PM

http://www.stuffit.c...c-expander.html

birjolaxew
    birjolaxew

Forum/Wiki Sponsor

• Members
  • 1583 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 05:06 PM

Lafolie said:

Thank you for the link. Could you please give constructive feedback too?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Mega Bear said:

Not really a game... just a mass suicide you're inviting people to take part in.

Posted Image

Vixy
    Vixy

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 05:53 PM

I could have sworn I didn't see any post like this when I wrote my post earlier this morning, but looks like you posted yours about 2 hours or so before I posted mine. I'll take down my post if I can (if not I'll let a moderator know to take mine down), but you might want to add in that you can keep the .jar files instead of having to put the minecraft file in a seperate folder and have the image files in the same folder with the minecraft app. Below is how you do it.

Go into the following folders:
1) Your username (home folder)
2) Library
3) Application Support
4) Minecraft (For those of you familiar with doing this on a PC it's pretty much similar look when inside the .Minecraft folder)
5) Place your .jar file inside the bin folder

Posted Image

That's to put a .jar file instead of having picture files all over.

Also here is how you can add sounds for your mac client (if you don't already have them)

Sounds can be added just like on a PC. So if you have the sounds on your PC or a friend with sounds on the PC, copy those sound folders and put them in the following:
1) Your username (home folder)
2) Library
3) Application Support
4) Minecraft
5) Place your music files inside of the resources folder.

Posted Image

Don't mean to steal your post, just want to put all information in one place so that mac users (like you and myself) don't have to keep searching all over the place.

birjolaxew
    birjolaxew

Forum/Wiki Sponsor

• Members
  • 1583 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 08:26 PM

Vixy said:

Loads of text
I have no problem at all with you posting this. As you pointed out yourself, it gives Mac users every information in one place. However, I would like to make you aware that it is illegal to redistribute the minecraft.jar file, even though the textures are changed, and that you might want to exclude that part from your post.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Mega Bear said:

Posted Image

Vixy
    Vixy

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:22 PM

When I refer to putting the .jar into that folder, I do not mean downloading or getting someone elses .jar file. I mean if you wish to edit the .jar file that you download with your client and edit it and add the skinned pictures to it (like you would on a PC) that you can do it that way instead of having lots of pictures/folders all around your minecraft.app file.

Just making mac users aware that there are other ways of doing texture editing on a mac :3

And I do appreciate that you don't mind.

Lafolie
    Lafolie

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:28 PM

birjolaxew said:

Lafolie said:

Thank you for the link. Could you please give constructive feedback too?

It's a bit inflated, and I wouldn't patronise your readers with let me google that for you links.

You could put a shorthand version at the top, it's so simple:

How to use skin packs on OS X

[*:3axvzn4n]Download the desired textures and extract them to a folder.
    [*:3axvzn4n]Paste a copy of Minecraft.app inside the folder (with terrain.png in).
    [*:3axvzn4n]Run the pasted app to play with your custom textures.

Z31
    Z31

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 128 posts
  • Minecraft: Z31

Posted 23 September 2010 - 11:03 PM

http://www.minecraft...hp?f=25&t=20711
Proud Member of the BROtherhood
Posted Image

Lafolie
    Lafolie

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 11:34 PM

Z31 said:

This is actually where I learned how to do it. It should be made into a sticky in my opinion.

birjolaxew
    birjolaxew

Forum/Wiki Sponsor

• Members
  • 1583 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 07:36 AM

Z31 said:

I am sorry, I wasn't aware you posted that thread. Should I take this one down?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Mega Bear said:

Posted Image

birjolaxew
    birjolaxew

Forum/Wiki Sponsor

• Members
  • 1583 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:25 AM

Updated it to include both Windows and Mac instructions.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Mega Bear said:

Posted Image

Leewinen
    Leewinen

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 12:00 PM

In my Open With it doesn't show my WinRAR, any help on this? Tried everything pretty much, even that thing what i found out was illegal or sum shit like that.

birjolaxew
    birjolaxew

Forum/Wiki Sponsor

• Members
  • 1583 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 05:55 PM

Leewinen said:

In my Open With it doesn't show my WinRAR, any help on this? Tried everything pretty much, even that thing what i found out was illegal or sum shit like that.
A few things you can do:

Uninstall WinRar, then reinstall from the official website.

Make sure you're not looking for WinRar, but WinRar Archiver in your "Open With".

Try to install either WinZip or 7-Zip and use them instead.

*Untested* Rename the .jar file to minecraft.zip and open it. After you're done, rename it to .jar.

Make sure it's minecraft.jar and not another file.

Redo the tutorial.

That's pretty much all of the solutions I can come up with.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Mega Bear said:

Posted Image

Seb-is-hunting

Posted 01 October 2010 - 04:54 PM

I cant do this for alpha for some reason, how do i do this for alpha? I'm stuck at the part where it goes: "%temp%www.minecraft.net" and then it will take me to a specific folder. I get three folders at once -> one called "minecraft"(which is minecraft creative mode), one caleed "minecraft_crepper_test"(minecraft survival mode test) and one called "minecraft_sneakpeek" (which is minecraft InDev mode).

So i don't get an option for alpha, plz help :Water: thanks.

birjolaxew
    birjolaxew

Forum/Wiki Sponsor

• Members
  • 1583 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 05:00 PM

As I've never really tried actually modding Minecraft on a Windows machine I'm not 100% sure about this, but what I've heard is that minecraft_creeper_test should work as Alpha. If it doesn't work try enabling hidden folders. I'll try to test it as soon as possible.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Mega Bear said:

Posted Image

pyrosheep
    pyrosheep

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1410 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 02:27 AM

Now, simply drag and drop the files from the texture pack straight into WinRar. This will replace the similar files inside, and next time you open Minecraft the textures will be installed
This is the part I don't understand, I opened Winrar, I can see all the texture, ect... but i don't know where WinRar is D:
[media]http://mlkshk.com/p/NC9[/media]

birjolaxew
    birjolaxew

Forum/Wiki Sponsor

• Members
  • 1583 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 02:29 AM

pyrosheep said:

Now, simply drag and drop the files from the texture pack straight into WinRar. This will replace the similar files inside, and next time you open Minecraft the textures will be installed
This is the part I don't understand, I opened Winrar, I can see all the texture, ect... but i don't know where WinRar is D:
All you have to do is drag the folders, from the texturepack directly into the window in which you can see all the textures. This will replace the files, and apply the new texture pack!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Mega Bear said:

Posted Image

pyrosheep
    pyrosheep

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1410 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 02:31 AM

birjolaxew said:

pyrosheep said:

All you have to do is drag the folders, from the texturepack directly into the window in which you can see all the textures. This will replace the files, and apply the new texture pack!
Drag them into the Minecraft JAR file?
[media]http://mlkshk.com/p/NC9[/media]

birjolaxew
    birjolaxew

Forum/Wiki Sponsor

• Members
  • 1583 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 11:33 AM

pyrosheep said:

Drag them into the Minecraft JAR file?
Exactly! I'll update the OP

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Mega Bear said:

Posted Image

ipid
    ipid

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • Minecraft: ipid

Posted 09 October 2010 - 10:21 PM

so i have been following these steps but when i get to .minecraft there is no \bin and when i put it in on run it doesnt take me to a page via internet explorer as was stated above any ideas?
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image