• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Minecraft on OSX - Won't Open

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Ferrariflyer

Posted 22 September 2010 - 11:04 AM

Alright basically I've been having two major problems with Minecraft, one that is big but I found a way around it, though I think that's what's causing the 2nd problem.

When I click on the Minecraft application (happened before and after this recent update) the application wouldn't open. The dock moves slightly acknowledging that I'm trying to open an application, but it closes straight away. The way I've come around this is that by right clicking on the application I click on "Show package contents," and then I go into contents/Resources/Java and then I click on the "MinecraftLauncher.jar" file, which then opens Minecraft. This however crashes a lot in trying to start up... I can live with that. The problem that I think this creates is that it means that I don't get any sounds. I want to hear the zombies wanting to eat my brains. I also downloaded that zip file in the other thread; "Mac No Sound *fix* for Saturday release" and it still hasn't done anything. I'm assuming it's because I'm having to use the "MinecraftLauncher.jar" file to play the game, and not the entire application, as that doesn't work.

So my main problem is... How do I get the application to work properly?

Register or log in to remove.

Robosaurus

Posted 23 September 2010 - 08:16 AM

I have the exact same problem. Right click .jar solution works, but I'd like a direct shortcut, if possible.

Ferrariflyer

Posted 23 September 2010 - 02:25 PM

Yea the problem with this is not only is it a bit annoying in having to go through a back way to play the game, the sound doesn't work.

Note this has been both BEFORE and AFTER the update... I'm really wanting sound if I'm going to be able to enjoy this game properly

foolie
    foolie

Newly Spawned

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 03:11 PM

Having the exact same problem, but I didn't know about the package contents route so hey

ahefner
    ahefner

Newly Spawned

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 03:32 PM

The bundle doesn't work because some unix file permissions get screwed up as a result of distributing the app bundle inside a zip file (versus, say, a .dmg). You can fix it from the terminal using the chmod command as follows:

chmod +x ~/Downloads/Minecraft.app/Contents/MacOS/JavaApplicationStub

Modify the above command to reflect where you unzipped Minecraft at. This will fix the bundle so that it opens when you click it. Unfortunately I can't confirm that it fixes the sound - I'm new to this, and haven't gotten past the login screen and it telling me I need to play online once before I'm allowed to play offline (I already did, I swear!).

zpex
    zpex

Newly Spawned

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 06:31 PM

I'm running the mid 2010 MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard on and trying to play Minecraft aswell but I'm getting what seems to be random crashes.

I once noticed something about the graphics in an errorreport that prompted after the game crashed.

More people getting this?

Wilbamf
    Wilbamf

Newly Spawned

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:50 AM

I can confirm ahefner's fix works and also fixes sound. It might lag a bit when you first turn the volume back up; give it a sec.

In other news, THANK YOU AHEFNER I WAS SO AFRAID I WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO PLAY MINECRAFT ANYMORE YOU ARE A GOD AMONG MEN.

Ferrariflyer

Posted 02 October 2010 - 08:34 PM

I'll repeat that Ahefner's solution worked.

Thank's a load mate

ahefner said:

The bundle doesn't work because some unix file permissions get screwed up as a result of distributing the app bundle inside a zip file (versus, say, a .dmg). You can fix it from the terminal using the chmod command as follows:

Modify the above command to reflect where you unzipped Minecraft at. This will fix the bundle so that it opens when you click it. Unfortunately I can't confirm that it fixes the sound - I'm new to this, and haven't gotten past the login screen and it telling me I need to play online once before I'm allowed to play offline (I already did, I swear!).

Also the sound does work when doing this

lukman1219

Posted 06 October 2010 - 03:47 PM

ahefner! i owe u! i wonder, how people figure out these things
potatoes have souls

gitgo567
    gitgo567

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 12:20 PM

Umm... It keeps saying stuff about the 'chmod +x' bit. Like:
Macintosh:~ adrianwood$ -bash: +x: command not found
chmod +x ~/Desktop/nate/games/Minecraft.app/Contents/MacOS/JavaApplicationStub
chmod: /Users/adrianwood/Users/adrianwood/Desktop/nate/games/Minecraftchmod: No such file or directory
chmod: +x: No such file or directory
[2]+  Exit 127                +x ~/Users/A
Macintosh:~ adrianwood$ dsjflhwe.f
-bash: dsjflhwe.f: command not found
:Notch:  :SSSS:  :Lava:  :SSSS:  :SSSS:  :SSSS:  :SSSS:  :SSSS:  :SSSS:  :SSSS:  :SSSS:  :SSSS:  :SSSS:  :SSSS:  :SSSS:  :SSSS:  :SSSS:  :SSSS:  :SSSS:  :SSSS:  :SSSS:  :SSSS:  :SSSS:  :SSSS:  :SSSS:  :SSSS:  :SSSS:  :SSSS:  :SSSS:  :SSSS:  :SSSS:  :SSSS:  :SSSS:  :SSSS:  :SSSS:  :SSSS:  :SSSS:  :SSSS:  :SSSS:  :SSSS:  :SSSS:  :SSSS:  :SSSS:  :SSSS:  :SSSS:  :SSSS:  :SSSS:  :SSSS:

gitgo567
    gitgo567

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 12:32 PM

Ok i just realised i already fixed it. Never used terminal before lol.

shadowbottle
  • Minecraft: Shadowbottle

Posted 23 February 2011 - 02:42 AM

Nice.

You'll still have to do this for 1.3 too. Someone should really be paying attention to details like this.

bigpixl
    bigpixl

Newly Spawned

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 04:35 PM

ahefner said:

Holy freaking crap, thank you for posting. It has been annoying to play without sound all this time.

assay
    assay

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 02:38 PM

I've a problem!
If I enter the command in the terminal, the follow error comes:

Last login: Sun Mar 13 14:38:57 on console
My Mac Name:~ My Accounts Name$ chmod +x ~/Downloads/Minecraft.app/Contents/MacOS/JavaApplicationStub
chmod: /Users/My Accounts Name/Downloads/Minecraft.app/Contents/MacOS/JavaApplicationStub: No such file or directory
My Mac Name:~ My Accounts Name$

What can I do? D:

gyffes
    gyffes

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 08:45 PM

To find out where Minecraft is, navigate to that folder via Finder.

Drag Minecraft onto your opened Terminal window.

You will now see the path to Minecraft.

Paste in the chmod -x blah blah code and make sure the path listed in the previous step matches what's in the pasted code. Alter (use back arrows) as needed.

It works if no error messages appear after hitting enter (you're back at the prompt square).

Malchus
    Malchus

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 04:19 AM

Hi I have been having this same problem too for a very long time.  I have tried the process in which i Chmod +x ~ (directory here) multiple times with many variations.  Yet it still fails to open as I have to go into package contents.

But on another note, something interesting I have noticed.  On the cracked version I have to go into the package contents and open the .jar, but I get sound through the cracked version unlike the legit version. Interesting.

destructopop
  • Minecraft: destructopop

Posted 15 April 2011 - 01:25 AM

ahefner said:

I just wanted to repeat again that it works like a charm.
I also wanted to bump this thread because my boyfriend and I worked for ages to get it working and this fixed it in under five minutes.

I'm Rin. My blog is dpopMinecraft.
Posted Image

Monkeyblitz

Posted 07 May 2011 - 04:11 PM

its creepy ive ben having the exact same problem but when I use the .jar thing the app just freezes at the Mojang thing

Monkeyblitz

Posted 01 June 2011 - 02:07 AM

found answer i downloaded the .jar for the and it worked

Frenand220

Posted 14 September 2011 - 06:36 PM

The terminal does not give me any error it does somo other stuff so i figured out it worked... but it DIDNT