• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

[1.4.6] Eloraam's Mods (RedPower 2 Prerelease 6)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
45502 replies to this topic

BlockyDude
  • Minecraft: b0h

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:49 PM

View Post104547, on 30 November 2012 - 10:52 AM, said:

She hasnt said anything about why her blog is down dw20 doesnt say anything about it either.

Dire makes videos beforehand. I heard in this topic that he just recorded episode 65, so you might want to think that probably he didn't say anything about Elo's blog being down because on the episode we are watching now, the blog was still up. Dire is good, but not so good to foresee the future.
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

tubera
    tubera

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 882 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:54 PM

View Postnukularpower, on 30 November 2012 - 11:35 AM, said:

Actually I have coded a good bit.  I am not saying it's impossible, but getting world-deleting bugs on a glorified chest is a little off in the same way that it doesn't really make sense for a bug in a program to add 2 and 2 to produce a memory leak.  It's a bit out of the frame of reference Posted Image

Also, Rocks, any chance you could give a clearer shot of your circuit to the right of that pillar in the last pic you posted please?

It's actually very simple, inventories are tile entities, and a corrupt tile entity that gets saved to the chunk might corrupt the entire chunk.
Posted Image

Dragonmoon07

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:15 PM

that makes sense
Dragonmoon07, Infinity Network Forums & Chat Administrator.
Pocket Realms Name: Dragonmoon07_0, because Someone Stole Dragonmoon07.

Stratagerm
  • Minecraft: Stratagerm

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:28 PM

View PostDragonmoon07, on 30 November 2012 - 03:48 AM, said:

off topic but i like your prof pic
Thanks. It's based on this TF2 spray I made:

Posted Image

Details here: Thank God it's Fryday!

View PostSaul_Goode, on 30 November 2012 - 04:04 AM, said:

...the article in his sig is pretty good too.

Thank you. Since my sig changes, I'll note for posterity that Saul's referring to Mojang addresses copying and Minecraft modder conduct.

View PostStekenxu, on 30 November 2012 - 04:10 AM, said:

The woolinator design is nice, imo. It's good for those times when you don't have a "mob-grabbing" mod available like Portal Gun. Better for pure-redpower, although how reliable was it back in the day?

How reliable is the Woolinator? Very. It seems to shear about 80% of the sheep each cycle. Some get missed because they're moving both times the mechanism passes overhead, but others get sheared twice—due to the abundance of available grass, sheep regrow their wool very quickly in a woolinator. It scales quite well because you can just add more sheep to the pen to increase the wool output.

The shears wear out after awhile, but people have built versions capable of automatically replenishing the shears.

View PostNodachi216, on 30 November 2012 - 10:51 AM, said:

You are ignoring the fact that we have all seen an updated version in DW's videos and numerous streams.

There have been many complaints that Elo has been uncommunicative. I would posit that not only is the opposite true, but that she has been sharing more than she ever has before about an update's progress. It is just that she has chosen to use a different venue to impart the information, the aforementioned videos and streams.

Absolutely correct. The amount of advance information we're getting about specific things that will be in PR6 is unprecendented. In the past we speculated about what would be in a release; the speculation now is on recipes and details of functionality.

Many Minecraft players and users on this forum are younger, often middle school-age (or even younger). Being so young, they don't understand the huge difference in time available to someone who gets a full-time job after being unemployed and able to work on the mod so much. Before anyone criticizes Eloraam for abandoning the mod, just imagine how much more you could build in Minecraft if your day wasn't filled up with school, soccer practice, scout meetings, etc.

That's how it used to be for Eloraam, but now that she has a day job she's only free to work on the mod at night and on weekends. Eloraam hasn't abandoned the mod, she's focusing on the mod at the expense of Forum posts and other community interaction for which she used to have time. Is it a good thing? No, but it is what it is, and no amount of complaining will change it.

So, let's talk about the mod! What have YOU built with RedPower 2? Show us!

PonyKuu
    PonyKuu

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Minecraft: PonyKuu

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:34 PM

I have to point you to the fact that we are not blaming Elo for abandoning the mod, but most of us are kinda bored of watching other people enjoying the existing mod, while we cannot do that.

Eki9m09
    Eki9m09

Carpenter

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:56 PM

So, do you think DW will start his lp without RP? Or maybe with the version they use on forgecraft? Because when i remember correctly he wanted to start his Lp tomorrow and Redpower is stil not released.
I kinda hope he just starts it with the alpha version of rp because i´m really waiting for the lp. Dont know what it is but i dont like his server play series^^

haighyorkie

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:03 PM

What really gets me is that the minecraft moderators haven't frozen this thread. Steve's carts thread got frozen and NO-ONE mentioned any updates and even asked if it was being updated, but it was locked to stop spamming about updates!! If this thread isn't candidate for that I don't know what is! I'm looking forward to RP2, i'm not one for forth and certainly don't understand a bit of it but I can just imagine with all the changes how awesome a server (run by someone who knew how to work a sortron properly) would be. Can we please keep the conversation on topic and not slip back to the dark ages of update spamming :)

TheNotchyToad
  • Minecraft: DireSwift

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:04 PM

View PostBlockyDude, on 30 November 2012 - 12:49 PM, said:

Dire makes videos beforehand. I heard in this topic that he just recorded episode 65, so you might want to think that probably he didn't say anything about Elo's blog being down because on the episode we are watching now, the blog was still up. Dire is good, but not so good to foresee the future.

That was wrong, he is (was as of Monday anyway) only a day or so ahead.  He recorded 56 and 57 the last couple days.  Slowpoke already said she took it down on purpose but didn't say why.  As for information, she tweeted in the end of Oct to watch DW videos for the latest info, it's how she has choosen to go about it and from a standpoint of showing what is include and how it works she has never shown more, only difference is it is DW doing it.

In the next couple episodes DW is going to be building a huge tubes in frames (sorry, frubes lol) machine so he will be talking about RP a lot.

Bluehorazon

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:07 PM

View Postsciguyryan, on 30 November 2012 - 10:53 AM, said:

Definitely has a project table in the offending chunk:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZhxx7WDo6A&feature=player_detailpage#t=296s

Since the chunk corruption error was known to be a project table bug, seems likely that is what happened there.

I'm not really sure. Switch known with suspected, I guess this is better. Underground were also tubes and other microblocks. Since if it was for the project-tables they would disable them on forgecraft until the issue is fixed, since chunk-resets are a major issue. So I'm not that convinced that they are sure about it, but they suspect the error having something to do with chunk-reset. But it's interesting, since nobody was around and interacting with the project-table, so it needs to cause a chunk-reset without any interaction, which is strange. So I'm not totally sure but I also don't know the requirements for a chunk-reset, since you normally expect simple server-crashes if something goes wrong.

View PostTheSimpleMajority, on 30 November 2012 - 11:37 AM, said:

Really we are starting this again.

Discussing about the bug... that's ok, since it actually gives some insight on how the mod works and informs others on the progress and it does nothing bad. But talking about what eloraam should do... no not really because she does what she wants anyway and it's fine, she isn't our slave or something like that.

That's how it used to be for Eloraam, but now that she has a day job she's only free to work on the mod at night and on weekends.

Well... it is a bit sad that no one is happy about eloraam getting a job. I think the job-situation in the USA/Canada isn't any better than here in europe (and as a german we actually have a very solid job-market at this point). So I'm really happy she managed to get a job, exspecially if you account why she may have lost or not got one before. So I hope it is a nice job that she will keep for a while.

View PostToo-DAMN-Much, on 30 November 2012 - 10:45 AM, said:

yeah, that screenshot makes me want to rewatch old forgecraft videos trying to figure out if there were any redpower machines in that chunk and/or corner of the shared machine room.

i can see some tubes in the background, but they look to be in a somewhat distant chunk.

[edit] yeah there definitely were, check @ 10 seconds of episode 54.
actually looks like most of the RP2 machines are in that corner honestly so there goes the idea of trying to narrow down what causes it. at least from this end [/edit]

[edit2] actually nevermind that edit above, now that i look again, using the TE machines as a reference, that had to be the IC2 corner of the shared machine room [/edit]

I think the tubes in the background were reaching into the affecting chunk. And there are definitly microblocks in this chunk (since they are everywhere :P).

View PostEki9m09, on 30 November 2012 - 01:56 PM, said:

So, do you think DW will start his lp without RP? Or maybe with the version they use on forgecraft? Because when i remember correctly he wanted to start his Lp tomorrow and Redpower is stil not released.
I kinda hope he just starts it with the alpha version of rp because i´m really waiting for the lp. Dont know what it is but i dont like his server play series^^

I'm really not sure. He wanted to avoid using unreleased mods so that people can play alongside him.

Lord_Ygnas
  • Minecraft: tomignatius

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:16 PM

View Posthaighyorkie, on 30 November 2012 - 02:03 PM, said:

What really gets me is that the minecraft moderators haven't frozen this thread. Steve's carts thread got frozen and NO-ONE mentioned any updates and even asked if it was being updated, but it was locked to stop spamming about updates!! If this thread isn't candidate for that I don't know what is! I'm looking forward to RP2, i'm not one for forth and certainly don't understand a bit of it but I can just imagine with all the changes how awesome a server (run by someone who knew how to work a sortron properly) would be. Can we please keep the conversation on topic and not slip back to the dark ages of update spamming Posted Image

Actually, this topic was locked numerous times. And almost immediately it was being unlocked. Which makes no sense to me. But, I'm not to dwell into this.

Posted Image
"Issë na túrë, tirinyet mai"

TheNotchyToad
  • Minecraft: DireSwift

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:16 PM

View PostEki9m09, on 30 November 2012 - 01:56 PM, said:

I can't see him starting it by then.  RP had every intention of being out by then but things happen.  The "I hope to start by Dec 1st unless something happens" was RP not being released yet, since it's not he will almost certianly hold off unless it is released this weekend.  His SSP let's plays have always been built around letting his viewers and fans follow along in his world with him with world uploads and posts.

TheSimpleMajority
  • Minecraft: simplemajority

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:20 PM

View PostBluehorazon, on 30 November 2012 - 02:07 PM, said:

- snip -
Discussing about the bug... that's ok, since it actually gives some insight on how the mod works and informs others on the progress and it does nothing bad. But talking about what eloraam should do... no not really because she does what she wants anyway and it's fine, she isn't our slave or something like that.

I was referring to a couple of posts that was trying to speculate the future of the mod. I see no problems talking about bugs that have been spotted on dw20's videos.
Posted Image

Eki9m09
    Eki9m09

Carpenter

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:20 PM

View PostTheNotchyToad, on 30 November 2012 - 02:16 PM, said:

I can't see him starting it by then.  RP had every intention of being out by then but things happen.  The "I hope to start by Dec 1st unless something happens" was RP not being released yet, since it's not he will almost certianly hold off unless it is released this weekend.  His SSP let's plays have always been built around letting his viewers and fans follow along in his world with him with world uploads and posts.

Well, then i just have to wait a little bit longer :D I´m gettin to the point where i hope that Redpower will at least be out this year.
But i already startet a new world so its not that bad. As soon as Redpower is released i plan to do it like this:

Didnt test it before but if it doesnt work i can still create a new mystcraft age.

Too-DAMN-Much

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:23 PM

View PostPonyKuu, on 30 November 2012 - 01:34 PM, said:

I have to point you to the fact that we are not blaming Elo for abandoning the mod, but most of us are kinda bored of watching other people enjoying the existing mod, while we cannot do that.

truth and honestly, not trying to speak for anyone else, but chunk resets are no big thing really, there was one in rei's minimap with setting waypoints in the nether for literal years and we lived.

also, that image a page back had to be from episode 56 or 57, i'm sure of this because of two things.
1. pictured in the background is soaryn's KFC (chicken farm episode 56 is the first it's got it's main structure built)
2. he's visible near the chicken farm in the picture which leads me to believe he was working on it, or was when he logged out, logged back in and noticed the chunk reset.

Ireee
    Ireee

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1686 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:25 PM

View PostBluehorazon, on 30 November 2012 - 11:33 AM, said:

Technically she could strip core of everything microblock-related and release a worldgen, but this would be a lot of work to do which would just delay the release even further. And I'm very optimistic that she will be able to fix the bug, but it seems to be not that easy.
Yeah. I wonder why there isn't such mod yet.
If I had a lot of time on my hands, I would definitely try to code at least a RP world placeholder mod instead of refreshing this page every few seconds.
Three iron ingots and two stick don't make a pickaxe.
Three iron ingots, two sticks and craftsman's effort do!

Bluehorazon

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:32 PM

View PostIreee, on 30 November 2012 - 02:25 PM, said:

Yeah. I wonder why there isn't such mod yet.
If I had a lot of time on my hands, I would definitely try to code at least a RP world placeholder mod instead of refreshing this page every few seconds.

Well it is actually not necessary. There are a lot of things you can do. I plan on resetting all chunks around me (hmm... might use project-tables for that :P), since I would like to have some rubber-trees and such. Otherwise mystcraft would be enough for the ores or you should even be able to delete your complete overworld :P.

If you want to start a new world before redpower comes out I would suggest informing yourself about all the possibilities to regenerate overworld-chunks if you don't want to use mystcraft just for the ressources.

I build a small map with already some machines and I do everything by hand which is a totally new experience :P well TE helps a lot as do hoppers.

TheSimpleMajority
  • Minecraft: simplemajority

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:38 PM

Now I understand, well moving on.
Posted Image

Lost-Ninja
    Lost-Ninja

Redstone Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 570 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:41 PM

View PostToo-DAMN-Much, on 30 November 2012 - 02:42 AM, said:

then how can you tell if the reactor is running or not? Posted Image
Seldom build reactors and when I do I always have them wired up. Old days if the redstone is off Reactor is on, now if redstone is off reactor is off... failing all that it's on when the components are taking damage.
[INFO] Sending serverside check to: Lost-Ninja
[WARNING] Lost-Ninja moved wrongly!
[INFO] Stopping server

Too-DAMN-Much

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:43 PM

View PostLost-Ninja, on 30 November 2012 - 02:41 PM, said:

Seldom build reactors and when I do I always have them wired up. Old days if the redstone is off Reactor is on, now if redstone is off reactor is off... failing all that it's on when the components are taking damage.

yeah but then you have to do silly extra tasks like using (frankly quite crap) vanilla redstone and being near enough to see the redstone wires, nice try though.

Bluehorazon

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:51 PM

View PostToo-DAMN-Much, on 30 November 2012 - 02:43 PM, said:

yeah but then you have to do silly extra tasks like using (frankly quite crap) vanilla redstone and being near enough to see the redstone wires, nice try though.

I really wonder why they redo redstone in 1.5... it's like wow it is one of the features that at least works and instead of improving it they implement signal-strength... but neither will the range increase nor the placeability. Not being able to place redstone on ceilings or walls just sucks. I mean eloraam showed them how redstone-things should look like.

Actually I think all the wiring stuff is only in the mod to make the other redpower-machines work. Imagine wiring a frame-quarry with vanilla redstone... it's just not possible. Also microblocks... FC did it, she did and mohjang still uses a new blockID for most new items.

Well they plan a complete rewrite of minecraft for the Mod-API (well at least slow told us), which might give them the opportunity to do some things right... well this will break redpower again but it will not happen before mid 2013 I'm pretty sure^^.