You're supposed to give him kudos for lifetime and anchor his optimine and optifog threads in your sig just out of solidarity. Please do so and spread his fix everywhere you can.
If you suffered from the L.S.O.D and this fixed it for you, leave sp614x a message in his thread, as this one will be closed. I'm off for some time now, as I have to spend some time with all the cool new mods and a functional 1.6.6 Minecraft. Find the fix here:
Hello dear Minecraft customers,
let's start with the important thing, the video that proofs it's there...
...and another video made by @Jamoah
...now notice and make yourself understand that this is not related to low FPS, can't be fixed by Optimine, Optifog or Gamebooster. Won't get away if you set Javaw.exe to run Minecraft with high priority and only one CPU, in the Task Bar. You can't get rid of it when trying to defrag your harddrive, format your harddrive and/or completely reinstall your OS and the game itself. It won't waver if you swear at Minecraft and/or Notch, if you ask Notch and/or Mojang to fix it (because they trying hard and can't get it fixed), and even if you try anything possible in the Universe by creating a paradoxon (which some users eventually adviced you to do), this lag won't go. For better understanding we use the term L.S.O.D (Lag Spike of Death) in this thread. You might also want to name it "Lag spike of fudging, annoying, gamebreaking death and pestilence". You're also welcome to name it simply "this shit".
I'll keep a list updated for anything that I've and you've tried:
- Defrag Harddrive
- Set Javaw.exe to high priority and one CPU in Task Bar
- Tried performance improving mods: Optimine, Optifog
- Tried performance improving programs: Gamebooster
- Format harddrive and reinstall OS and Minecraft
- Updated all drivers for any possible hardware, including the Joystick, though you don't use it for Minecraft
- Allocated more memory to Java like this
- Searched anything on this Website to get help
- Tried the game in offline mode, browser based and with the minecraft.exe
- Defraged your RAM
- Turned of all unnecessary background programms
- Turned the graphics to low as possible
- Specially experience this after 1.5.1
- Used 40, 60, 90 or 200 FPS framerate Cap
- Switched your Windows style
- Downgrade or entirely deinstall your GPU drivers
- Turning off vertical synchronisation/vertical refreshment on your GPU
- Turning of auto update for Windows and/or your Antivirus software
Things you can try to get rid of the problem (without guarantee):
- Run a server localy and connect as client: This is working for most of the users that tried it, but remember that you're playing a multiplayer game when doing this. A lot of features of singleplayer Minecraft do not exist in multiplayer. I tested this once and it indeed works, but this is not the solution I want. I want my singleplayer game to work as perfect as a BETA can.
- Try @Haxzorzz "No grass fix"...get it over here: While the disclaimer says it's working for her, I tested it and it didn't. However, it seems to have a serious positive impact on FPS, obviously because the newly introduced grass has an negative impact on FPS.
- Please try the speedup showen in this video and see if it kills the Lag Spike of Death. Only works for Vista and Windows7 users. If it doesn't kill the L.S.O.D, I promise that this is going to have a serious positive impact on performance of Minecraft in general.
- Another solution is to use your slow onboard GPU, because we already figured out, that you won't notice the L.S.O.D as strong, if you have low FPS. That's pretty much because the game already (graphically) lags with a weak GPU and the Lag Spike of Death gets drowned inside of it.
If you have a solution that I've missed in the list, the chance is very high, I've already tried it and it didn't fixed anything. I should also mention, that we're searching for a decent solution to this problem and I personally don't consider the solutions posted above as satisfying. Your system information is also important if you want to help us, so post it as this:
Athlon 64 XP2 6000 ~2x3.06 Ghz
Nvidia 9600 GT 512 RAM ~1625 Ghz
3.5 Gb RAM ~1.066 Ghz
Windows XP 32 bit SP3
Java 7 32 bit
Obviously I'm trying to get rid of the problem without using any mods. Why should I use mods if the game doesn't work correctly after the latest update in the first place? I'm also not a ungrateful customer, as I've had to spend some well earned money to Notch, to buy the game, so it's my right to complain as long and as loud as I want to. And believe me as soon as this gets fixed, I'll be quite forever. In case you're under age 14 (western civilization), you don't know the terms "work" or "job" (delivering newspapers doesn't count), you probably don't want to participate in this threads discussion.
Now for a quote by myself:
In the current state there doesn't seem to be any fix for this hickups. They're not related to your system (neither GPU nor CPU or RAM). Using Game Booster, Optimine or any of the game improving mods won't help at all. Not even formating your harddrive and reinstall your OS won't help, as this problem is clearly caused by the code itself.
It seems to happen totally random on multiple different systems. It happened for me since using the version 1.6.3, 1.5.1 runs perfectly fine.
I also tried all the Task Bar related fixes, allocating more memory to Java, I've defraged my harddrive, I'd spend hour after hour to find a fix for this, but ultimatively have to abandon any hope to get this fixed by myself. There's a slight chance the problem is going to disappear by itself and a chance to appear by itself again. I've found tons of threads and posts related to this lag spike and all of them, without exception, ended without people getting this thing fixed.
In case you sooner or later get accused as a pirate by some ignorant fanboy, try this link (you'll have to put your username after the = in the browser tab), in order to show people you're not a pirate. If it says false, you are a pirate however and probably should stop posting here...
In case some smartass shows up, telling you that your system is decent enough to run the Universe itself and you should fix the problem by yourself (and ontop of that probably insults you), just ignore him, it's the second form of fanboy, who doesn't want to see you put any critics on Notchs and his/her holy grail.
I'm also going to pull this discussion out of the thread into a proper named thread, so Notch eventually notice it and starts to seriously work out the problem...which he obviously doesn't, can't or doesn't try hard enough. Oh yeah and finally, watch this video, and in case you experience the same, spam Notchs Twitter asking him to fix it...
You can count me being on a crusade to get this "shit" fixed and I won't stop, nor I won't abandon the game on my mission to get my well deserved and perfectly performing update 1.6.6 and beyond. Arguing about what a ungrateful dick I am, get the "shit" fixed by myself or naming anyone whos experiencing the lag an idiot, will either get you shoved the lag spike in your arse when met in real life, get you reported to the moderators and/or admins or just lets you look stupid because you made an uncalled and unhelpful comment.
So please anyone whos experiecing this "lag spike", "hickup", "CPU hog" or however you name it, participate in this thread and only in this thread, to make it getting recognized by the responsible developers or anyone else whos interested. I know there a hundreds and hundreds of people suffering from the same lag as I do and all of them, never got a solution to their problem, nor did they got an answer from Notch/Mojang what they are planing to give us back our game.