Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Minecraft Lag Spike of Death - L.S.O.D of terror and doom

• Please log in to reply
437 replies to this topic

Frontsalat
  • Minecraft: Frontsalat

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:20 AM

GOOD NEWS FELLOW CRUSADERS, THE L.S.O.D HAS BEEN FIXED BY THE ALMIGHTY KNIGHT sp614x!!!

You're supposed to give him kudos for lifetime and anchor his optimine and optifog threads in your sig just out of solidarity. Please do so and spread his fix everywhere you can.

If you suffered from the L.S.O.D and this fixed it for you, leave sp614x a message in his thread, as this one will be closed. I'm off for some time now, as I have to spend some time with all the cool new mods and a functional 1.6.6 Minecraft. Find the fix here:

http://www.minecraft...mine-fps-boost/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello dear Minecraft customers,

let's start with the important thing, the video that proofs it's there...

...and another video made by @Jamoah

...now notice and make yourself understand that this is not related to low FPS, can't be fixed by Optimine, Optifog or Gamebooster. Won't get away if you set Javaw.exe to run Minecraft with high priority and only one CPU, in the Task Bar. You can't get rid of it when trying to defrag your harddrive, format your harddrive and/or completely reinstall your OS and the game itself. It won't waver if you swear at Minecraft and/or Notch, if you ask Notch and/or Mojang to fix it (because they trying hard and can't get it fixed), and even if you try anything possible in the Universe by creating a paradoxon (which some users eventually adviced you to do), this lag won't go. For better understanding we use the term L.S.O.D (Lag Spike of Death) in this thread. You might also want to name it "Lag spike of fudging, annoying, gamebreaking death and pestilence". You're also welcome to name it simply "this shit".

I'll keep a list updated for anything that I've and you've tried:

- Defrag Harddrive
- Set Javaw.exe to high priority and one CPU in Task Bar
- Tried performance improving mods: Optimine, Optifog
- Tried performance improving programs: Gamebooster
- Format harddrive and reinstall OS and Minecraft
- Updated all drivers for any possible hardware, including the Joystick, though you don't use it for Minecraft
- Allocated more memory to Java like this
- Searched anything on this Website to get help
- Tried the game in offline mode, browser based and with the minecraft.exe
- Defraged your RAM
- Turned of all unnecessary background programms
- Turned the graphics to low as possible
- Specially experience this after 1.5.1
- Used 40, 60, 90 or 200 FPS framerate Cap
- Switched your Windows style
- Downgrade or entirely deinstall your GPU drivers
- Turning off vertical synchronisation/vertical refreshment on your GPU
- Turning of auto update for Windows and/or your Antivirus software

Things you can try to get rid of the problem (without guarantee):

- Run a server localy and connect as client: This is working for most of the users that tried it, but remember that you're playing a multiplayer game when doing this. A lot of features of singleplayer Minecraft do not exist in multiplayer. I tested this once and it indeed works, but this is not the solution I want. I want my singleplayer game to work as perfect as a BETA can.

- Try @Haxzorzz "No grass fix"...get it over here: While the disclaimer says it's working for her, I tested it and it didn't. However, it seems to have a serious positive impact on FPS, obviously because the newly introduced grass has an negative impact on FPS.

- Please try the speedup showen in this video and see if it kills the Lag Spike of Death. Only works for Vista and Windows7 users. If it doesn't kill the L.S.O.D, I promise that this is going to have a serious positive impact on performance of Minecraft in general.

- Another solution is to use your slow onboard GPU, because we already figured out, that you won't notice the L.S.O.D as strong, if you have low FPS. That's pretty much because the game already (graphically) lags with a weak GPU and the Lag Spike of Death gets drowned inside of it.

If you have a solution that I've missed in the list, the chance is very high, I've already tried it and it didn't fixed anything. I should also mention, that we're searching for a decent solution to this problem and I personally don't consider the solutions posted above as satisfying. Your system information is also important if you want to help us, so post it as this:

Athlon 64 XP2 6000 ~2x3.06 Ghz
Nvidia 9600 GT 512 RAM ~1625 Ghz
3.5 Gb RAM ~1.066 Ghz
Windows XP 32 bit SP3
Java 7 32 bit

Obviously I'm trying to get rid of the problem without using any mods. Why should I use mods if the game doesn't work correctly after the latest update in the first place? I'm also not a ungrateful customer, as I've had to spend some well earned money to Notch, to buy the game, so it's my right to complain as long and as loud as I want to. And believe me as soon as this gets fixed, I'll be quite forever. In case you're under age 14 (western civilization), you don't know the terms "work" or "job" (delivering newspapers doesn't count), you probably don't want to participate in this threads discussion.

Now for a quote by myself:

This problem has been extensively discussed in this thread already.

@OP

In the current state there doesn't seem to be any fix for this hickups. They're not related to your system (neither GPU nor CPU or RAM). Using Game Booster, Optimine or any of the game improving mods won't help at all. Not even formating your harddrive and reinstall your OS won't help, as this problem is clearly caused by the code itself.

It seems to happen totally random on multiple different systems. It happened for me since using the version 1.6.3, 1.5.1 runs perfectly fine.

I also tried all the Task Bar related fixes, allocating more memory to Java, I've defraged my harddrive, I'd spend hour after hour to find a fix for this, but ultimatively have to abandon any hope to get this fixed by myself. There's a slight chance the problem is going to disappear by itself and a chance to appear by itself again. I've found tons of threads and posts related to this lag spike and all of them, without exception, ended without people getting this thing fixed.

In case you sooner or later get accused as a pirate by some ignorant fanboy, try this link (you'll have to put your username after the = in the browser tab), in order to show people you're not a pirate. If it says false, you are a pirate however and probably should stop posting here...:D

In case some smartass shows up, telling you that your system is decent enough to run the Universe itself and you should fix the problem by yourself (and ontop of that probably insults you), just ignore him, it's the second form of fanboy, who doesn't want to see you put any critics on Notchs and his/her holy grail.

I'm also going to pull this discussion out of the thread into a proper named thread, so Notch eventually notice it and starts to seriously work out the problem...which he obviously doesn't, can't or doesn't try hard enough. Oh yeah and finally, watch this video, and in case you experience the same, spam Notchs Twitter asking him to fix it...:D

You can count me being on a crusade to get this "shit" fixed and I won't stop, nor I won't abandon the game on my mission to get my well deserved and perfectly performing update 1.6.6 and beyond. Arguing about what a ungrateful dick I am, get the "shit" fixed by myself or naming anyone whos experiencing the lag an idiot, will either get you shoved the lag spike in your arse when met in real life, get you reported to the moderators and/or admins or just lets you look stupid because you made an uncalled and unhelpful comment.

So please anyone whos experiecing this "lag spike", "hickup", "CPU hog" or however you name it, participate in this thread and only in this thread, to make it getting recognized by the responsible developers or anyone else whos interested. I know there a hundreds and hundreds of people suffering from the same lag as I do and all of them, never got a solution to their problem, nor did they got an answer from Notch/Mojang what they are planing to give us back our game.

Stop to believe, start to think! F.Salat

Survivalist Ingenuity Series - Metallurgy&Realism

Register or log in to remove.

Frontsalat

Posted 03 June 2011 - 11:03 AM

This ought to be bumped.

racingx
    racingx

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 01:31 PM

View PostFrontsalat, on 03 June 2011 - 11:03 AM, said:

This ought to be bumped.

Thanks for making this thread I have the exact same issue and is the only reason I am still on version 1.5

I have 2 pcs in my house that both play minecraft and they both get that spike with any of the 1.6 versions.

Doogie411

Posted 03 June 2011 - 02:10 PM

I've got this exact problem. I've tried to fix it, but to no avail. The game actually starts out as playable, then the 'heart beat' really kicks in. Too bad for this, I've been wanting to play around with finite liquid v3 some more. Guess i'll stick with 1.5 for a bit longer, /sadface.

Pc specs:
Intel dual 2.8ghz
2gigs ram
nvidia 9800gt
Windows XP

Hackzorzz
  • Minecraft: Hackzorzz

Posted 03 June 2011 - 02:24 PM

BUMP. Yah. I updated to 1.6.6 today because the last mod I needed was updated (MCE).

Then I log into my world seeing stuff without textures. Ladder, mushrooms (both red and brown), torches no texture in my inventory and cobblestone gives off LIGHT in my inventory.

Worst; The bloody lag. It's making MC unplayable for me.

EDIT; I held in space for two minutes then the game crashed with "Saving Chunks" and it stopped my mouse. Kinda scary  :mellow:
I am a troll but I hate fail trolls.

Doirdyn
    Doirdyn

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1420 posts
  • Minecraft: Doirdyn

Posted 03 June 2011 - 02:40 PM

Hardly noticeable... and putting people opinions off like you have in the OP will only get you flamed.
Games I play: Minesweeper, Terraria and Minecraft!
I don't often follow threads I post in. If you'd like a response about something, send me a PM.

Hackzorzz

Posted 03 June 2011 - 02:44 PM

View PostDoirdyn, on 03 June 2011 - 02:40 PM, said:

Hardly noticeable... and putting people opinions off like you have in the OP will only get you flamed.

Noticeable? YAH. Explain why my MC crash when I jump alot. Only reason: Retarded patch.

Doirdyn
    Doirdyn

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1420 posts
  • Minecraft: Doirdyn

Posted 03 June 2011 - 02:49 PM

View PostHackzorzz, on 03 June 2011 - 02:44 PM, said:

Noticeable? YAH. Explain why my MC crash when I jump alot. Only reason: Retarded patch.
You seem to be in the minority so Notch won't fix it until next major patch.
Games I play: Minesweeper, Terraria and Minecraft!
I don't often follow threads I post in. If you'd like a response about something, send me a PM.

Hackzorzz

Posted 03 June 2011 - 03:08 PM

It's good I still got my fully working 1.5_01 patch.

Flame02
    Flame02

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 03:28 PM

I have the same problem and am still using 1.5 because of it. I dont know what the problem is, but if I reduce the display resolution it goes away.

My desktop uses 1600x1200 and works fine, but my graphics card is poor when it comes to 3D acceleration and OpenGL. MineCraft does not change the display resolution when it goes fullscreen, and doing it manually before and after playing is really a pain! Because of this I prefer to continue to use 1.5 :-(

I will post a surgestion that MineCraft will support display resolution settings. It's on "page 5" of any OpenGL book, but it takes time to program a GUI to make it possible for the user to adjust this setting.

Frontsalat

Posted 03 June 2011 - 04:45 PM

View PostDoirdyn, on 03 June 2011 - 02:49 PM, said:

You seem to be in the minority so Notch won't fix it until next major patch.

Two posts by you in this thread and booth without sense and reference to the OP. Why did you say you came here? To be honest, I give a fuck about your "opinion", opinions won't fix my game. However, if you have something to say how we can get rid of this lag, you're welcome.

Btw. I'm also using 1.5.1

I'm about to format my harddisk and reinstall windows...I'll let you know if it worked.

Hackzorzz

Posted 03 June 2011 - 05:07 PM

It won't.

dumb11o1
    dumb11o1

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 05:50 PM

im geting the same thing as you. just started here in 1.6.6 or 1.6.5 not sure which. oh and my sister has a laptop that use to do this but after this update she isnt getting a lagg spike but i am.

specs:
desktop
ram:4 gig
gpu:ati radeon hd 3400 overclocked to 655 mhz
cpu:e5300 2.60
hard drive:55 gig ssd (solid state drive)

dumb11o1
    dumb11o1

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 05:51 PM

oh and im getting 60 fps in-till it spikes then i get 3 to 0

Biffa001
  • Minecraft: Biffa2001

Posted 03 June 2011 - 06:15 PM

Since 1.6.x I get this lag spike (I've posted about it in the Optimine thread = no joy). I've also tried all I caan think of with no result.

The only thing that cures it for me is playing on a multiplayer server...then the lag spike is gone. Maybe this info will help to narrow down what could be causing it.

Please keep posting here if you have this issue so we can get it fixed.

AMD X2 BE-2350 2.11
4GB Ram (3.25 usable)
AMD 4550

I also notice a gradual increase in memory usage on the debug screen till it hits around 300-400mb and then it drops to 0 again and starts to build again. All since 1.6.x.
Biffa's Minecraft Redux - My Minecraft LP with a mix of Adventure & Tech/Science. Also a member of the HermitCraft server :-)

cwsault
    cwsault

Carpenter

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 06:46 PM

Adding here to say I've also got this.  I replied to this thread with a link to a reddit post that has links to a few other mentions about it, though it'd be great to get them all in one place (i.e. here).

The problem is only in SSP, not in SMP.

It's worth noting that if you run a SMP server locally and then connect to localhost in your client, the problem does not occur.  I can run the server and client simultaneously at a good FPS with no issues; it's only in SSP that this occurs.  This strongly indicates a problem with the game's code -- my guess would be that the chunk updating is actually causing some thread in the client to stop and wait, whereas in SMP the server handles chunks and the clients just receive the data.

At any rate, running a server on localhost is a temporary workaround for the problem until SSP gets fixed.

I have a feeling that this change is responsible for the issue.

I'm going to tentatively guess that this is a much more common problem than people think, possibly a universal one, as it seems that people with faster systems are more likely to notice it -- those with slower ones probably don't because it doesn't run well enough for the hiccups to stand out.

Frontsalat

Posted 03 June 2011 - 06:55 PM

View PostBiffa001, on 03 June 2011 - 06:15 PM, said:

Since 1.6.x I get this lag spike (I've posted about it in the Optimine thread = no joy). I've also tried all I caan think of with no result.

The only thing that cures it for me is playing on a multiplayer server...then the lag spike is gone. Maybe this info will help to narrow down what could be causing it.

Please keep posting here if you have this issue so we can get it fixed.

AMD X2 BE-2350 2.11
4GB Ram (3.25 usable)
AMD 4550

I also notice a gradual increase in memory usage on the debug screen till it hits around 300-400mb and then it drops to 0 again and starts to build again. All since 1.6.x.

I could speculate that the lag spike in singleplayer is caused, because the game somehow sends a "ping" to a server and if you're connected to a server the lag spikes won't show because the server answers the ping. Don't take this literally, I only used this as an example to descripe what I ment.

If you watch the video, you'll notice I don't get any drops in FPS when the frequent lag spike occurs, nor does any other of the debug information change together with the spikes. The lag we're experiencing is like the actuall lag you get when playing multiplayer games (Call of duty for example). When the lag occurs, the whole server(game) is stopped for some milliseconds for all players, and I'm experiencing the same in singleplayer MC. The game literally just stops for some milliseconds, and it stops in a frequent manner repeating every ~3 seconds.

I was on a german MC forum and someone said you should try to turn off the power safing modus for your CPU in the BIOS. Can anyone try this out, as I'm currently formating my hard drive and reinstall windows entirely.

I'm curious how many % of players actually experience the different forms of lag and how they express on different systems...I think I'll make a poll.

Edit: Forget something and this should underline the thing that @cwsault was mentioning. When I wait 10 minutes into the game and the chunk update counts 0, the lag is gone. Once I start moving and so the chunks get updated again, the lagspike shows up.

Hackzorzz

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:15 PM

View Postcwsault, on 03 June 2011 - 06:46 PM, said:

Adding here to say I've also got this.  I replied to this thread with a link to a reddit post that has links to a few other mentions about it, though it'd be great to get them all in one place (i.e. here).

The problem is only in SSP, not in SMP.

It's worth noting that if you run a SMP server locally and then connect to localhost in your client, the problem does not occur.  I can run the server and client simultaneously at a good FPS with no issues; it's only in SSP that this occurs.  This strongly indicates a problem with the game's code -- my guess would be that the chunk updating is actually causing some thread in the client to stop and wait, whereas in SMP the server handles chunks and the clients just receive the data.

At any rate, running a server on localhost is a temporary workaround for the problem until SSP gets fixed.

I have a feeling that this change is responsible for the issue.

I'm going to tentatively guess that this is a much more common problem than people think, possibly a universal one, as it seems that people with faster systems are more likely to notice it -- those with slower ones probably don't because it doesn't run well enough for the hiccups to stand out.

Think we got it. Guess it's in the Chunk code part of the game. Anyone wanna fix? :D

And THAT explains why my uber computer doesn't have a chance on minecraft. :D

Biffa001
  • Minecraft: Biffa2001

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:15 PM

View PostFrontsalat, on 03 June 2011 - 06:55 PM, said:

I could speculate that the lag spike in singleplayer is caused, because the game somehow sends a "ping" to a server and if you're connected to a server the lag spikes won't show because the server answers the ping. Don't take this literally, I only used this as an example to descripe what I ment.

If you watch the video, you'll notice I don't get any drops in FPS when the frequent lag spike occurs, nor does any other of the debug information change together with the spikes. The lag we're experiencing is like the actuall lag you get when playing multiplayer games (Call of duty for example). When the lag occurs, the whole server(game) is stopped for some milliseconds for all players, and I'm experiencing the same in singleplayer MC. The game literally just stops for some milliseconds, and it stops in a frequent manner repeating every ~3 seconds.

I was on a german MC forum and someone said you should try to turn off the power safing modus for your CPU in the BIOS. Can anyone try this out, as I'm currently formating my hard drive and reinstall windows entirely.

I'm curious how many % of players actually experience the different forms of lag and how they express on different systems...I think I'll make a poll.

Edit: Forget something and this should underline the thing that @cwsault was mentioning. When I wait 10 minutes into the game and the chunk update counts 0, the lag is gone. Once I start moving and so the chunks get updated again, the lagspike shows up.

The lag spike I get it as in the video posted by the OP. re: the chunk updates, if you install optime/optifog there is an option to stop chunk updates unless you move a certain distance, so they are not updating all the time. This smooths my game out a lot and helps with the FPS...but I still get the lag spike, regular as clockwork.

Also, I have power saving mode for my  CPU off.
Biffa's Minecraft Redux - My Minecraft LP with a mix of Adventure & Tech/Science. Also a member of the HermitCraft server :-)

cwsault
    cwsault

Carpenter

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:17 PM

If you watch the video, you'll notice I don't get any drops in FPS when the frequent lag spike occurs, nor does any other of the debug information change together with the spikes

To add to this, I can push 300 FPS with Tiny render distance and Fast graphics etc, but it will still do the CPU spikes, still lag, and still report that high FPS count while lagging.

Also, even though the hiccups occur even at Tiny render distance, you may notice on the F3 graph that the spikes are usually not as large when using it (though they still lag the game).  The major difference with Tiny is that the chunk update count is also a lot smaller.

I wonder if it's attempting to cycle through every chunk update at a regular interval?

Edit, RE: post above me:

Could it be possibly that the Opti-mods stop the chunk updates themselves, but don't stop Minecraft from doing some sort of loop through the chunks?