40 replies to this topic

rudeboi
    rudeboi

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 10:51 AM

Hello.

Thought i'd give a try since its free today, and lo and behold - cant even run it for more than 5 seconds, literally.

After about 5 seconds ingame (SP) i get flickering, then black and then the message about display drivers stopping responding and recovering.

Downloaded and installed newest drivers, which didn't change a thing.

I run E6600, 3gb ram and 8800gts 512.

Other than minecraft my machine runs fine with any other 3d game out there, so no hardware faults on machine side...

#Update1#

Did a full/clean reinstall of Windows7 Ultimate 32bit.
So clean that i deleted all partitions and repartitioned the drive.
Then installed Nvidia drivers, then Java. NOTHING ELSE. Not even sound drivers (X-Fi Fatality).

Same thing still. 5 Seconds of play and crashing display driver, Java stuck at 100% cpu use.

Someone PLEASE do something about it.

For anyone that may think "faulty 8800gts card" i can assure you that its not and i'm running latest games no problem. Its Sparkle 8800gts (512mb)...

#Update2#

Well, well... Borrowed another 8800 gts (640mb), game runs, no 5 second java crash.

So, what gives ? Can someone look into this seriously ?

I mean there are no other factors except for the card make. Drivers are the same, windows installed freshly just for testing purposes.

Is there any way to test what is different between Sparkle and BFG (i think, need to clarify)...

Anyone interested in working this out ?

Register or log in to remove.

rudeboi
    rudeboi

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 12:54 PM

Forgot to mention that its happening on Win7 Ultimate 32bit.

Faceless
    Faceless

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1025 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 12:58 PM

Where did you download your drivers from?
Posted Image

rudeboi
    rudeboi

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 01:11 PM

Everything from official sources.

Java.com, nvidia.com

Faceless
    Faceless

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1025 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 01:13 PM

Ah, sorry then. My theory went out the Window.

I don't know what's wrong but I share a similar issue with Flash Player, if I put it in fullscreen my drivers crash.
Posted Image

jtspring
  • Minecraft: jtspring

Posted 26 September 2010 - 01:33 AM

I also have this problem with the version of the game, I downloaded before purchasing during the free play weekend.  The error occurs randomly.  Sometimes I can play for hours and not have a problem, some times I can't play for longer than 3 minutes.  As I am writing this I'm actually on a forced break from the game because of such an error.  Win 7 64 bit, fresh install with the latest drivers. Asus EAH5770 Series running ATI Radeon drivers version 8.670.0.0. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.  Although being pointed in a particular direction, usually towards lava or water seems to cause repeat crashes.  As though I am facing something that's not rendering correctly.

Now that I have paid for the game I am considering downloading a new copy of the exe.  If there have been any patches, updates or fixes this may help.  ***Update*** @ 9:47 PM EST, this did not help.  But I will wait for an update and try again.

BTW: LOVE the game.  LOVE IT.  It may be crashing at the moment, but I will patiently wait for it to get to where it isn't.  As a business major, my professors would encourage the approach of get 'shit out the door', and polish that shit over time.  Keep on going man!
Jt Spring - Creative Lead                   "SNSO - Save Now save often"
blog.zorts.net

jtspring

Posted 26 September 2010 - 01:55 AM

***update*** Attempted to run in browser window.  Still received the same error.  It seems to happen more when down in the depths of the earth.  Especially large cavern systems.

***update*** 9/27/2010 Have noticed that crashes occur on "Far" viewing selection, and either much less frequently or not at all on 'Normal'.
blog.zorts.net

Chris0132

Posted 26 September 2010 - 10:51 PM

jtspring said:

I also have this problem with the version of the game, I downloaded before purchasing during the free play weekend.  The error occurs randomly.  Sometimes I can play for hours and not have a problem, some times I can't play for longer than 3 minutes.  As I am writing this I'm actually on a forced break from the game because of such an error.  Win 7 64 bit, fresh install with the latest drivers. Asus EAH5770 Series running ATI Radeon drivers version 8.670.0.0. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.  Although being pointed in a particular direction, usually towards lava or water seems to cause repeat crashes.  As though I am facing something that's not rendering correctly.

Now that I have paid for the game I am considering downloading a new copy of the exe.  If there have been any patches, updates or fixes this may help.  ***Update*** @ 9:47 PM EST, this did not help.  But I will wait for an update and try again.

BTW: LOVE the game.  LOVE IT.  It may be crashing at the moment, but I will patiently wait for it to get to where it isn't.  As a business major, my professors would encourage the approach of get 'shit out the door', and polish that shit over time.  Keep on going man!

Just to chime in, I had this exact same problem on the free weekend, the game randomly crashes the display driver after an unspecified duration of play, usually less than an hour, also without any obvious cause. Furthermore the display driver crash also frequently bsods the computer. Display drivers are entirely updated as is java, running a geforce gtx460, also windows 7 64 bit.

While I really enjoyed the free weekend and think the game is extremely fun, I really can't justify buying it until I can play it without crashing my entire computer, so confirmation of a solution to this problem would be greatly appreciated.

jtspring

Posted 27 September 2010 - 05:20 PM

Reading your post Chris0132, I just realized a couple things that I forgot to specify...  My computer is not crashing.  Only the display drivers (which recover), and the game (which does not).  

The game crash also usually leads to a dead character if the map has not been saved.  For example if I am digging in the ground and the game crashes.  The game restarts me in exactly the same spot.  Even if that means that I  restarted inside a previously mined out tile.  Being trapped in a tile deals damage, and then you die.  

I am not sure a good fix for this, a few possibilities that come to mind are restarting in the nearest unfilled tile, or upon restart always clearing the two tile that the character would occupy.  Which would make for an interesting restart as you would be trapped in a one x two room deep underground.  Or possibly a if/then statement that checks to find out if the tiles you are starting in are filled or unfilled.  If filled restart at the spawn point?
blog.zorts.net

Chris0132

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:49 PM

jtspring said:

Reading your post Chris0132, I just realized a couple things that I forgot to specify...  My computer is not crashing.  Only the display drivers (which recover), and the game (which does not).  

The game crash also usually leads to a dead character if the map has not been saved.  For example if I am digging in the ground and the game crashes.  The game restarts me in exactly the same spot.  Even if that means that I  restarted inside a previously mined out tile.  Being trapped in a tile deals damage, and then you die.  

I am not sure a good fix for this, a few possibilities that come to mind are restarting in the nearest unfilled tile, or upon restart always clearing the two tile that the character would occupy.  Which would make for an interesting restart as you would be trapped in a one x two room deep underground.  Or possibly a if/then statement that checks to find out if the tiles you are starting in are filled or unfilled.  If filled restart at the spawn point?

Yeah I assume the computer crashing is simply my computer being unable to recover the display driver when it crashes sometimes, otherwise it's exactly as you describe, the driver recovers, the game does not, and any data since the last exit is lost, except for the character location and inventory, this usually means I load up and end up underground inside a wall which promptly kills me.

In either case it makes the game unplayable because I wasn't able to actually build very much due to constant progress loss.

jtspring

Posted 01 October 2010 - 04:21 PM

Chris: I find hitting Esc frequently helps a lot.  It saves the level and prevents large losses of goods.  The old adage of SNSO still works well.
blog.zorts.net

rudeboi
    rudeboi

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 10:12 AM

So, did anyone figure out why java causing display driver crash ?
A month on, no new nvidia drivers and just yesterday tried to reinstall java to see if maybe it'll work... no dice - same thing, 5 seconds play and then crash display driver, recover, rinse and repeat.

Did anyone at least look into the problem ? Or should i just skip this game altogether ?

rudeboi
    rudeboi

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 01:09 PM

#Update1#

Did a full/clean reinstall of Windows7 Ultimate 32bit.
So clean that i deleted all partitions and repartitioned the drive.
Then installed Nvidia drivers, then Java. NOTHING ELSE. Not even sound drivers (X-Fi Fatality).

Same thing still. 5 Seconds of play and crashing display driver, Java stuck at 100% cpu use.

Someone PLEASE do something about it.

For anyone that may think "faulty 8800gts card" i can assure you that its not and i'm running latest games no problem. Its Sparkle 8800gts (512mb)...

rudeboi
    rudeboi

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 06:25 PM

#Update2#

Well, well... Borrowed another 8800 gts (640mb), game runs, no 5 second java crash.

I mean there are no other factors except for the card make. Drivers are the same, windows installed freshly just for testing purposes.

Is there any way to test what is different between Sparkle and BFG (i think, need to clarify)...

kingelmore

Posted 20 October 2010 - 06:07 AM

same problem cept i'm running a 295 and new i7 980X wtf is the problem how can minecraft do this when games that  consume alot more of my gpu don't. i paid for a game but can barely play it fml

jtspring

Posted 27 October 2010 - 03:09 PM

Today has been a terrible day depressing day.  It is so frustrating to have a crash every 2 minutes for two hours on Single player.  I can get NOTHING done.  To be so in love with a game that is completely unplayable for long periods of time is just so frustrating.  If nothing got added, but the display drive crash issue was resolved I would be so happy.  To play this game without a crash would be a dream.

Some days are fine.  Yesterday for example I played for 4 hours with no crashes (well maybe one or two, but it seems so insignificant compared to today that I don't really recall).  Code Karma has me paying for it today.  And there is absolutely no recourse but to wait the few days till the patch and hope that the issues are resolved.  It seems like so few of us have this problem, that its not a high coding priority.  Heck it may not even be something that Notch has any control over.  It may not be Minecraft crashing the drivers, it may be bugs in the display drivers.  I hope this is not the case, for as long as its something more directly tied to minecraft there is hope that it can at some point be resolved.

Save me Obi Notchwan, you're my only hope.

Hopefully writing about it (and rebooting my PC while I write this) will help.
blog.zorts.net

jtspring

Posted 27 October 2010 - 03:15 PM

rudeboi said:

#Update2#

It seems like this is a rare glitch instead of a problem that most players have.  Or if they do we are the only ones to actually talk about it.  If it were common this post, and the board in general, would be swamped with threads and communication about it.  It would be a top priority if more people experienced the same issue.  It seems like this issue does not generate a lot of 'buzz'.  That it bypasses the error reporting system is not helpful.  That means that it doesn't get reported to Notch and the gang.

We can hope that changes in the update in a few days help.  Or we can hope that changes in a few days make it worse for more people (which would drive up the level of importance for a fix).
blog.zorts.net

rudeboi
    rudeboi

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 03:53 PM

Well, i guess no minecraft for me, even though i did swap out my card now to GTX480, but wont be buying MC out of principle, until i get un-ignored. (just being spoiled and throwing a hissy fit...) :D

chrisd636

Posted 27 October 2010 - 04:12 PM

I've been playing the game for several weeks without any problems and this started happening to me yesterday.. I notice it starts flickering and becoming unstable when i break the 80 degree mark. I've also got a BFG 8800GT and am running Windows 7 64-bit.

It's also started happening in Starcraft 2, I wasn't having any problems before yesterday.

Devwar
    Devwar

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 679 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 04:41 PM

chrisd636 said:

I've been playing the game for several weeks without any problems and this started happening to me yesterday.. I notice it starts flickering and becoming unstable when i break the 80 degree mark. I've also got a BFG 8800GT and am running Windows 7 64-bit.

It's also started happening in Starcraft 2, I wasn't having any problems before yesterday.

Sounds like an overheating issue.