Robson_
    Robson_

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • Minecraft: Robson_

Posted 02 June 2011 - 09:53 PM

POPULAR

Hey! You there! I've finished writing Mace and have moved on to other projects. There will be no more substantial updates to Mace.

Thank you to everyone that has downloaded and given feedback. Your suggestions had a massive effect on Mace and helped me to make this a better application. You are all awesome!

I'd like to highlight several people for significant contributions in terms of suggestions, support and code: Ghostdancer, Commander Keen, jaquadro, coau14, Curufea, Surrogard and Golgrinn.

I learnt a lot from writing Mace and I'll use that knowledge to create new projects in the future. Maybe some of them will be related to Minecraft!

- Robson (27 Dec 2012)

Mace creates a regular MineCraft world with randomly generated cities! Here is an example city:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Download Mace V1.11.2

Updated on 5th September 2012

Mace requires version 4 of the Microsoft .NET Framework. The framework is used by lots of other MineCraft tools, so you might have it already.

Thanks to Ghostdancer, it is now possible to include NPCs in Mace! Please visit his Mobs for Mace thread to read all about it and download the mods. Please ask any questions in that thread.

More information about Mace and the future plans can be found at the Mace project site, which includes answers to Frequently Asked Questions and the complete changelog for all versions.

Thank you to jaquadro for creating the Substrate library, which Mace uses for all the world editing.

Thank you to the NaggingGamers for making this video of a Mace city:

Thank you to XPMineCrafter for making this instruction and demonstration video:

Here are some videos from around the world: Got a video in a different language? Let me know!

This product is not yet rated:
Posted Image
If you are a teacher and would like a child-friendly version of Mace, just get in contact with me and we'll work something out. Mace is completely free, so there's no charge for this.

License information.

Edited by Robson_, 27 December 2012 - 11:28 PM.

Register or log in to remove.

laynejj
    laynejj

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 10:08 PM

View PostRobson_, on 02 June 2011 - 09:53 PM, said:

Mace creates a regular MineCraft world with a random city at the spawn point. I've just started writing Mace, so it's currently quite simple. Expect lots of updates in the future :)

Posted Image
(the generated cities are a lot bigger!)

Download Mace here. It requires the Microsoft .NET Framework, version 2 or later. You probably have that already.

More information about Mace and the future plans can be found at the Mace project site. Mace is the first project I've created in C#, so try not to laugh at my code... too much.

Thank you to jaquadro for creating the Substrate library, which Mace uses for all the world editing.
hey, how do you get it to work?
do i just download, or what?do i put it in bin, or the minecraft file,sooo....? help. it looks awsome
no reply from me? just pm me with a link to the forum page,or the qustion,and ill get back to youPosted Image

Robson_
    Robson_

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 10:21 PM

View Postlaynejj, on 02 June 2011 - 10:08 PM, said:

hey, how do you get it to work?
do i just download, or what?do i put it in bin, or the minecraft file,sooo....? help. it looks awsome
Hi laynejj

You would download mace-v1_0_0.zip from the downloads page, then unzip the files anywhere and run Mace.exe

You can then open MineCraft and your new world will be at the end of the world list.

Good luck! You might need this framework, if you have problems opening Mace.

cows_pwn

Posted 03 June 2011 - 01:04 AM

Amazing  :Diamond:  :Diamond:  :Diamond: 's for you but umm do u think you could add NPC's (its kinda empty in ssp
EDIT: My moat doesnt have lava in it :(

Commander Keen

Posted 03 June 2011 - 04:08 AM

Great! Now I just have to add properly ruining logs and smoothstone to Teeth of Time and then off to ruin the newly built city!

Curufea
    Curufea

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 08:41 AM

Very cool - I love the sewers as well!
"This is my timey wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff."

Robson_
    Robson_

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:53 PM

Thanks for the feedback! Glad you guys are liking it :)

@cows_pwn That's probably a good thing, because my friend was testing the map and he accidentally fell into the lava moat! It's lava 25% of the time and water the other 75%. When I add the interface you'll be able to force it to make a water or lava moat, along with the lots of other options.

@commander_keen I'm looking forward to seeing the results of that! Awesome name you have there, I played those games a massive amount when I was younger. They were great, along with the original Duke Nukem games as well :)

@Curufea Thanks! I have a lot of plans for the sewers, such as making the tunnels more complex and adding loops. I'm planning to add ores, which will get more valuable as you go deeper underground. Also planning to add more dangers...

th3m4ni4c

Posted 03 June 2011 - 03:41 PM

You should make it so you can have smaller towns too like villages, and maybe if it isnt too hard to code a little variety. other than that its perfect, i use it for my server.

Golgrinn

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:41 PM

O.o So much potential !

I think you should add
-variation of houses : different sizes, architecture, material, etc ;
-chests in houses, furnaces and crafting tables ( and maybe monster spawner =D ) ;
-more realistic crenels ( look at images ! ).

I think I'll have fun with that tool !
Continue Robson_ !

wilster
    wilster

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Minecraft: wilster1909

Posted 03 June 2011 - 09:46 PM

Using Mace and MCDungeon right (making it far away so it does not interfere but being able to find it) would be really cool for SSP or SMP. Thanks ill ill be sure to test this out and give feedback.
Posted Image [SSSS]

tigerman6333

Posted 03 June 2011 - 11:14 PM

Do you think you could add like a boathouse and a lake?

=D
    =D

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 600 posts
  • Location: In the Rainbow Factory. Where you fears and horrors come true.

Posted 04 June 2011 - 11:48 AM

:Diamond:  :Diamond:  :Diamond:  :Diamond:  :Diamond: FREAKING FTW  :Diamond:  :Diamond:  :Diamond:  :Diamond:  :Diamond:

Posted Image

http://www.desktopponies.com/ (<--- didnt make but 100% support)

Commander Keen

Posted 04 June 2011 - 03:21 PM

Tried it, and had a quite epic experience. Now that I think of it, a whole level in some RPG game could be based on it.

It can be improved, and I'm sure it will be. Maybe an option to disable the moat, also non-square city shape and some wider "main" streets. City square in the middle of the city would also be nice. Maybe even joining a few plots together for larger buildings like palaces or libraries.

PortalGunfun

Posted 04 June 2011 - 09:38 PM

I loved the sewer, but I was thinking the whole time

Wow... If I turn off Peaceful, creepers are gonna kick my ass...

Also, the lighting calculation is a bit messed up.

Otherwise, keep up the good work.
Posted Image

PortalGunfun

Posted 04 June 2011 - 09:40 PM

Also, does this generate only one town?
Posted Image

Robson_
    Robson_

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 10:32 PM

V1.1.0 is released! With the following changes:

* Added murder holes above the drawbridges
  * Added some more words to the city name generator
  * The sewer layout now has loops and more tunnels on each level (it's still empty though)
  * Plots are now different sizes
  * Plots are no longer in a rigid grid layout. They look more natural now
  * Plots will now be rotated randomly
  * Added archery slots to the guard towers
  * Added noticeboard
  * Added cactus farms
  * The new version of Substrate has fixed the lighting bugs

Here's a screenshot.

Thanks for your comments everyone :)

@th3m4ni4c I was wondering if it would work for multiplayer, so that's great news that you've got it working. Little cities will be possible as soon as I add the user interface. You'll also be able to control which elements are included. For example, you might not want the farms, walls, moat or guard towers in a village.

@Golgrinn Glad you like it! Thank you for the suggestions. All those things are planned :) Although I'm not familiar with realistic crenels, so I'll have a look at some images.

@wilster I've only seen videos of MCDungeon, but I recon you could combine the two by generating a world in Mace, walking around in it for a bit, then running it through MCDungeon. Somewhat of a guess, but that sounds like it would work.

@tigerman6333 Perhaps a docks area would be a good idea? One side of the city could open to the ocean, allowing for boats, piers, fishing... would take a long time to make, but something to think about for the future.

@=D Thanks! I need some diamonds to make the city emblems, so they'll be very useful!

@Commander Keen Glad you like it :) Disabling different bits (farms, moats, etc) will be possible when the interface is written in. I like the idea of a city square a lot - I'll add it to the todo list. Different plot sizes are now written in and they fit together more organically. I'd like non-square cities as well, but I suspect that would take quite a long time. Something to think about for the future there.

@PortalGunfun I like the way you have quoted your thoughts ;) The eventual plan is to make the top level of the sewer relatively safe, but it will only have coal. As you descend there will be more monsters and less torches around, but more valuable minerals. It generates one city, but I suppose it wouldn't be too difficult for me to generate multiple cities in one world, if people would like that. Lighting bugs should all be fixed in this new version, but you are welcome to let me know if you have any problems.

svento1
    svento1

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • Minecraft: svento1

Posted 04 June 2011 - 10:55 PM

Really great!
It's quite epic i think:D
Keep codeing on it man!   :Diamond:
Posted Image

PortalGunfun

Posted 05 June 2011 - 01:11 AM

The notice board is nice.

Notice Board said:

LOST PET CREEPER! Last seen by mini crater.

I'd like to use the murder-holes in SMP. :rolleyes:

Also, I happened to be exploring the sewer when I noticed that there was a squid swimming in the water.  :blink:
Posted Image

Curufea
    Curufea

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 04:19 AM

View PostRobson_, on 04 June 2011 - 10:32 PM, said:

@wilster I've only seen videos of MCDungeon, but I recon you could combine the two by generating a world in Mace, walking around in it for a bit, then running it through MCDungeon. Somewhat of a guess, but that sounds like it would work.

I've been doing this - it works really well. As the city generates near the spawn point, and mcdungeon defaults to a minimum distance from that point of 2 chunks, just expand that to the size of the city and then the dungeon(s) won't overlap the city.

I do suggest using an external text file for city names so folk could generate their own names - or add some kind of configuration file to modify the settings (or go the whole hog and write a GUI).

However, that being said - it's fun and I like it!

[edit]
Also should mention one of my favourite youtube videos - a city generation algorythm used by a gaming company for a game that wasn't finished, but has some of the neatest visual progressions of city generation I've seen.  More than just putting together random madlib houses - but actual zoning for building types and terrain evaluation-

"This is my timey wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff."

Golgrinn

Posted 05 June 2011 - 07:05 AM

Here are some crenels ;)

Posted Image

I used them on my server, look more good.

( Should I post also a screen ? )