• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Max distance between torches to prevent mob spawn?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

pinkbits
    pinkbits

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 10:17 AM

Does anyone know the maximum distance torches can be apart to prevent mobs spawning in between?

Register or log in to remove.

HappyHitman

Posted 18 September 2010 - 10:18 AM

I don't know the distance but if there is light there they won't spawn, so it will be around the edge of the light area.
Posted Image

pinkbits
    pinkbits

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 11:31 AM

Well do I only have to light the ground?

I'm hoping I don't have to light the walls and roof on large areas.

IVI4tt
    IVI4tt

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1905 posts
  • Minecraft: IVI4tt

Posted 18 September 2010 - 11:41 AM

place them ~6 blocks apart if you are covering a large area and want no mobs at all,
If you're in your house 8 blocks apart will normally work
Posted Image
Come check out Snowblind, my adventure map!

Antman
    Antman

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 03:07 PM

strictly speaking they only spawn in areas that so dark they are difficult to see in so as long as your not creating to large areas of shadow you should be fine,  and remember at night the outside has some natural light so it should be a little harder for mobs to spawn as that might be close to the minimal amount of darkness they need to spawn.

once the minecraft scientific society is formed we shall launch an investigation into the idea  spacings for torches for maximum efficiency along with the amount of dark they need to spawn

Making up stuff so you don't have too

magnus1987

Posted 18 September 2010 - 05:39 PM

This is one of those things that you don't think is useful to know till you actually need to know :o
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity.

pinkbits
    pinkbits

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 01:55 AM

So do I only need to light the ground? i.e. can mobs spawn against shadowed walls and fall down into lit areas?

Lafolie
    Lafolie

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 03:30 AM

pinkbits said:

So do I only need to light the ground? i.e. can mobs spawn against shadowed walls and fall down into lit areas?

A mob spawned on the roof of my hut and the inside-lights were built into the roof. Laid out sorta like this:

[]  []  []  :Orange:  []  []  []
[]   :D  :Orange:  :--+:  :Orange:  []  []
[]  :wood:  []  []  []  :wood:  []
:wood:  []  []  []  []  []  :wood:

Dragonchampion
  • Minecraft: Dragonchampion

Posted 19 September 2010 - 03:37 AM

pinkbits said:

Does anyone know the maximum distance torches can be apart to prevent mobs spawning in between?

I asked this question as one of the first forays into this forum.

The answer is: 8 squares apart if you are laying them in a straight line. Otherwise, I do not know.
Posted Image
I am a Dragon, writing the tale of the world that has been, will be, and is. Due to the forum having a URL restriction, if you wish to see my full list of work, please refer to my signature in the now-dead TGO forums Here: http://thegoldenorde...server-downtime

amoungthefree

Posted 19 September 2010 - 08:08 AM

everyone i already know the anwser its 12 blocks apart between i use 12 blocks between whenever im mineing.
I have a Chest Full of Chests.

You cannot deny my logic.

katana098

Posted 19 September 2010 - 10:12 AM

amoungthefree said:

everyone i already know the anwser its 12 blocks apart between i use 12 blocks between whenever im mineing.
Wrong.

Apparently it needs to be brighter as you go further down, with very low layers spawning in daylight-brightness. At ground level ish, just brighter than normal night.
Posted Image
"I am a floating tree with limbs living in Antarctica. Screw logic."-floatingmagictree

wio_dude
    wio_dude

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 09:44 AM

According to Minepedia, light ranges from 0 to 15.
15 = 100% Sunlight, Fire, Lava
14 = 080% Torches, Lit Furnaces
13 = 064%
12 ~ 051%
11 ~ 041%
10 ~ 033%
09 ~ 026% Redstone Ore
08 ~ 021%
07 ~ 017% Redstone Torches
06 ~ 013%
05 ~ 011%
04 ~ 009%
03 ~ 007%
02 ~ 005%
01 ~ 004% Brown Mushrooms
00 ~ 004%
Searching this forum, I've heard that 05 is dark enough for mobs to spawn.  This would mean (14-05) = 09 is how far away a mob can spawn from a torch and putting torches 17 tiles apart should keep you safe theoretically.

MonkeyDKS
    MonkeyDKS

Forum/Wiki Sponsor

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • Minecraft: MonkeyDKS

Posted 20 September 2010 - 01:48 PM

Nice math and research!  Someone should test this IRL in-game to see if this is true in practice...

Interested in Minecraft PvP eSports? Sign up for our Feb. 23 matches of The Walls2 and Platform power!

www.cubechampion.com

dctrjons
    dctrjons

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:35 PM

Doing some experiments now, small note for now: Lit furnace = 13

Lafolie
    Lafolie

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 12:48 AM

Do doors affect mob spawns?

Canebrake

Posted 25 September 2010 - 04:39 PM

17 would be optimal,or so it would seem. Unfortunately torch light is not square, it is a diamond shape.
So you need to work out a pattern. Not just place them 17 blocks apart.
And i believe mobs do not spawn on doors.

Tabletti

Posted 25 September 2010 - 07:15 PM

According to a poster in the Survival Single Player side, if you insert one torch in every corner of a 7x7 area, the area in exact middle has (very small) chance to spawn a mob.
But then again, the other posters claimed things like that never happened to them.
Thus, if you want to be sure, place torches 6 blocks apart. :P

And to the other issues; According to my experiences, mobs cannot spawn on dark walls or ceiling if the land under them is lit. l have a rather large mausoleum (l'd say about 20x30x30) and l've never had mobs spawn in there with only ground lit. Mobs can and will spawn on the roof, though.

dctrjons
    dctrjons

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 06:00 AM

So much for my experiments.  I could not get mobs to spawn in '4' or '5'.  I don't know what the secret is - Went far away for long periods of time, rode around in a circular track to make sure I keep 360 degree sweeps if the are directionally loaded.  Stood in the dark...everything spawned above me where there was a cave and further up on the surface but not in my dark tunnels.  Had a brown mushroom tunnel to see if having an item on the ground would prevent spawn and I knew the light of them would not prevent it and enough light where I could see anything in the tunnel...but considering my current failure...no clue if it was other factors.  I'm pretty sure they cant spawn where a plant is though since I'm sure they only spawn in air blocks.

Also not sure if my tunnels were too short, I've read 2 high is all they need to spawn but maybe it is really 3 high.

And yes I'm pretty sure only the floor is checked for "litness".

jacobsantos

Posted 26 September 2010 - 09:33 AM

I have evidence that mobs can and will spawn where there is still light. The conditions I've had it happen to me twice in an enclosed structure that I built and put many lights (meaning there is hardly any areas that are dark.

Conditions:

The structure is high up (directly above the clouds) and is very wide (between 50 to 70 cubes going east and west and about 25 cubes north and south. The height is 5 cubes high.

It has only happened twice. Once it was a spider and I was alerted by the sounds it makes while tunneling directly below. The other was a creeper and I only noticed it because I saw it while I was moving out of my stair case and it was directly in my line of sight.

Both times was in the day time, so I'm unaware if this matters. Well, it is possible it spawned during the night and I only noticed it when it became light out.

When I say it happened twice, I mean it happened once every 12 hours of game play. I'm unsure if it is the game's way of saying, "Hey, you need to go outside and get some sun or something."

UberFubarius

Posted 29 September 2010 - 02:23 AM

jacobsantos said:

I have evidence that mobs can and will spawn where there is still light. The conditions I've had it happen to me twice in an enclosed structure that I built and put many lights (meaning there is hardly any areas that are dark.

Conditions:

The structure is high up (directly above the clouds) and is very wide (between 50 to 70 cubes going east and west and about 25 cubes north and south. The height is 5 cubes high.

It has only happened twice. Once it was a spider and I was alerted by the sounds it makes while tunneling directly below. The other was a creeper and I only noticed it because I saw it while I was moving out of my stair case and it was directly in my line of sight.

Both times was in the day time, so I'm unaware if this matters. Well, it is possible it spawned during the night and I only noticed it when it became light out.

When I say it happened twice, I mean it happened once every 12 hours of game play. I'm unsure if it is the game's way of saying, "Hey, you need to go outside and get some sun or something."

They probably spawned at night and stayed around.
Creeper and Spider don't disappear when day-light appear (they do despawn naturally thou, when they're not doing anything else).