Adriorn, on 28 May 2011 - 01:22 AM, said:
Dead brush: gorgeous.
Yellow flowers look completely out of place, too much contrast with the rest of the textures. Too bright on the top and bottom. The red ones look great, and match the crops' style.
You might need to play around with the brightness/contrast of the tall grass and see if you can match them up a bit more with the ground in my opinion.
Side of the soil block might use some more shading or shadowing between the grassy part and the soil.
Very creative wheat, I liked it.
I'd make the water less transparent, but that might just be my taste.
Nice job btw.
Thanks for the kind words! I'm working on the yellow flower first today. At first I really liked it, but it was one of the first textures I made so the rest of the pack didn't have the darker and cooler theme yet when I first tested. Will fix!
For the "side of the soil" block, I'm assuming you mean the soil with grass on top- with the grass overhang? I'll check it out.
I'm actually really digging how transparent the water is in my maps, makes waterfalls look great. I'll provide alternates at different opacity though.
unImaginative Man, on 28 May 2011 - 01:44 AM, said:
I love it. But my love would be more great if the cobble wasnt a bunch of little circles. To be honest, it looks more like gravel. If it could be changed to something like a cobble version in JohnSmith's pack, where it was lumpy slightly circular bricks instead of large pebbles thrown together, I would replace Sevenfours teturepack with yours as my favorite.
And the smoothestone is absolutley PERFECT ARGRGENIEFFENOWHIE
Yeah, the plain cobble is one of my least favorite pieces, however the netherrack and the mossy cobble share the same basic shape and just look loads better just due to its detailing. Might just need to punch up some highlights so it's not so flat.
Thanks about the smooth stone.
Spruu, on 28 May 2011 - 05:31 AM, said:
I just want to start by saying that I really like this pack a lot. It's one of the most interesting ones I've seen and I could see myself using this on a daily basis.
* The tiling is a bit too noticable on the sand, cobble, and dirt. You can see it on stone too, but I think it works out in that case.
* The cacti look too much like watermelons. I'd try to tone down the yellow a bit.
* I'll wait to see the "still" water once it's animated, but right now there just looks to be too much color variation.
* The darker wools all look good, but the lighter ones (especially red) don't look right to me. We have the Golden Gate bridge on the server I play on and it's not orange at all! Also the light gray wool looks blue?
* I would like a border on the furnace texture. I have a big bank of them and it's hard to recognize where one ends and the next begins at a quick glance.
* I dislike the wooden texture on the jukebox, in all honesty. I think the dispenser graphic actually looks more like a stereo, maybe you could use that instead and design a new one for the dispenser? Just a thought.
* I like the glowstone as a base design, but it's a bit too plain.
* Love the torch design. Sailing home at night looks amazing. Have you tried a blue flame animation?
* Nice to see the spruce tree with actual pine needles. Might want to add some more transparency though, I can't decide.
* Birch and Spruce saplings are perfect, really. The sugarcane is great too. Oak saplings could use a little something.
* I really love the rail design, they look terrific. I would like a bit more difference between the regular and powered rails though. If unpowered, it's hard to tell which is which unless you look close. Maybe have part of them a lighter color on the powered rails. Also, detector rails are AWESOME!
Looks like a lot of complaints, but it's really not. I think the pack is wonderful and these are the only imperfections I could come up with. This is one of the few packs that really makes the game feel like another world, or at least era. Just waiting on the final touches.
I don't know why people dislike the yellow flower. I think it looks great. Maybe a bit radioactive, but great nonetheless. The ore blocks look good, then when you break it and the little one looks really friggin' cool.
P.S. One quick note, a lot of packs make the sign texture darker, and they become hard to read. With this pack already very dark, I'd be careful with that when you add that texture. In regards to the poll, I personally prefer the default tools, armor and weapons over any third party ones I've seen. Items and inventory (and UI) too. I say just perfect the terrain and other very basic things.
P.P.S. The graphic when you're breaking a block is, well, broken. At least for me. The block flashes black and back to the texture with each frame. Is it just me? I'm still on 1.5, but I doubt that affects it. Here's a screenshot:
Oh man, I redid the sand texture over and over and over to get it to tile less. I have a feeling I might have packed a different version... I can barely see any tiling on the sand in the screenshots I put up. Oh, and are you using 64x or 128x? I should always ask that first. Going to fix the cobble today, definitely.
Haha, also I redid the cacti many times since before it was "too blue" and "too lush" instead of "dry and dusty". I'll provide alternates.
I did some of the wools to be a completely different hue than their normal (the grey and orange) for personal reasons. I'll provide alts for those too.
Hmm, I was considering doing stone corners on the furnaces/dispensers.
I didn't want to use a stone texture for the jukebox since you don't use stone to make it- piling wood and making stone wouldn't make a whole lot of sense, you know? I'll provide alternates at some point for that.
Any suggestions on how to make them (the glowstones) less plain? I use them for streetlights/lanterns, so the design fits well in my map. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Haven't gotten to particles yet, but blue flame is definitely on the list.
Yeah the pine needles suuuuuuuuck. They're practically scribbles, so a redo is on the list. Definitely needs transparency. Can't tell the difference in Fancy/Fast.
Oak saplings... trying to remember which one is which. That one looks like a tiny tree and not an actual sapling, right? It's definitely on my list to fix.
Thank you for the feedback on the rails. I don't use them in my world so I don't know what's important to make them stand out. I was thinking of doing lights on the metal area on the rail, in addition to the redstone wires between the slats.
The sign texture I'm planning will have paper covering the text part but the sign itself will be darker, obviously. It's already done, just not packed.
And I'm not having a problem with the breaking.... that's so weird. Perhaps it's 1.5 doing it, I don't know. I'm using only 1.6.4 and 128x. Let me know which version you're using so I can check it out.
Thanks so much for all your feedback!
canuckkat, on 28 May 2011 - 06:27 AM, said:
Luckily for me breaking isn't bugged... but it shifts, which feels awkward. I really like the colours though.
I really like everything else. This is SO my thing hehe
Are you using 128 or 64x? I'll have to look into the breaking since it's not an isolated incident.
Thanks for the compliments.