IronWaffle
    IronWaffle

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 954 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:00 PM

POPULAR

Posted Image

Please donate to fund my gaming habits. Even a 50 cents will make me imaginably happy Posted Image

Select you currency - USA, Australian, Canadian, Euro, Pound

If something is in bold or a different color, it's probably important.

If you have any tips suggest them and I'll check it out. If it works I'll add it to this post and give you credit for the suggestion. And I know it's a long read, but it's to make sure you don't mess up and you partially understand what's going on. Making Minecraft faster is easier said than done.

*I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGES OR UNFORESEEN SIDE-EFFECTS THAT HAPPEN TO YOUR COMPUTER BY FOLLOWING THESE TIPS, BUT I WILL HELP FIND A WAY TO FIX ANYTHING THAT HAPPENS.*

These are put in order from least difficult to hardest. Table of content Don't - Have any other programs open.
Spoiler:

Don't - Leave your laptop unplugged.
Spoiler:

Do - Play on "fast" and "tiny" graphics, turn off clouds, and use Advanced OpenGL!
Spoiler:

Don't - Use texture packs bigger than 16x, which is the default resolution.
Spoiler:

Do - Do make sure you you have only one version of Java
Spoiler:

Do - Do use the appropriate Java bit version
Spoiler:

Do - Defrag your hard drive
Spoiler:

Do - Use ReadyBoost!(windows only)
Spoiler:

Do - Give minecraft more/less memory!
Spoiler:

Do - Update LWJGL!
Spoiler:

Do - Disable indexing services on Windows XP!
Spoiler:

Do - Download the newest Java.
Spoiler:

Do - Mod your Minecraft.
Spoiler:

---The following are all possible ways to fix lag. But some have reported reduced FPS after this. Be sure you always have a way to revert back if it decreases FPS.---

Possibly - Play offline!
Spoiler:

Possibly - Change Minecraft's screen size
Spoiler:

Possibly - Set javaw.exe priority to high.
Spoiler:

Possibly - Set windows to best performance.
Spoiler:

Possibly - Download JRE7, the newest version of the new java.
Spoiler:

Possibly - Use Ramdisk if you have 2 gigabytes or more of ram.
Spoiler:

Possibly - Update your graphics driver.
Spoiler:

Possibly - Follow these steps posted by Lost-Ninja.
Note: Only if you have 2 or more hard drives. You MUST make sure it is in fact a second hard drive and not a partition, other wise this won't do anything. I don't know if this is only for 64 bit or for 32 bit as well, if you want to try go ahead.
Spoiler:

Possibly - Install a Linux OS!
Spoiler:

From ThatCanadianGuy's Guide

Spoiler:

Microsoft's Windows 7 Optimization Guide

FAQ

Q. I get a blackscreen after I modded minecraft, wtf dude?
Spoiler:

Q. I can play fine for 30 minutes or even an hour but then Minecraft lags like crazy no matter what I do, why?
Spoiler:

Q. I have a Nvidia/ATI card and everything else runs fine except Minecraft. Huh?
Spoiler:

Q. Do you have any other resources to help me?
Spoiler:

Q. How do I open my .minecraft folder?
Spoiler:

This is mine on single player. Before: Regular day - 5 FPS (Yes my computer is a netbook, so it's that bad) Good day - 9 FPS Biggest FPS spike seen - 14 After: Regular day- 12 Fps Good Day - 16 Fps Biggest FPS spike seen - 27 Optifine and Linux are what boost mine the most.

Show your support and help others!

Posted Image

[url=http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/343030-guide-minecraft-speed-guide/][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/CKnyV.jpg[/IMG][/url]
Made by teh great TehGritz!

Posted Image

[url=http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/343030-guide-minecraft-speed-guide/][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/VbsFt.png[/IMG][/url]

Results will vary between computers. Some will increase fps by little, some may even quadruple fps. Post your results after using these tips! Post what tips you used and how much the helped/hurt you to improve this guide.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Please donate to fund my gaming habits. Even a 50 cents will make me imaginably happy Posted Image

Select your currency - USA, Australian, Canadian, Euro, Pound

Never take the sword or bow off the hotbar!

Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

IronWaffle
    IronWaffle

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 954 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 01:55 AM

What are versions? A documentation of every change done. An _X signifies a small change, like moving something to a different section, modifying a paragraph, etc. A .X is changed when a new tip is added or removed. And the first number will change when something like a complete overhaul is done.

Guide Version History:
Spoiler:

People who have helped make this guide better
If you help me make this better I will put your name here. Message me if you want your name removed.
Frontsalat - Pointed out guide was extremely biased.
Lost-Ninja - Gave a possible trick.
Calinou - Told me about Advanced OpenGl and pointed out a bunch of small things.
BrianTheSwat - Gave me the tip about turning off indexing, and alternative way to get to nvidia settings
lolmastergeneral - Gave tips about full screen
JMC17 - Showed me how to modify clients
ImNotaBogan - Told me that setting the window small might help.
epikal - Told me about a lot of small things, well some not me personally, but the guy's a general badass so he deserves to be here. Also saved me from possibly being banned (see page 7 for details).
HubbaBubba - Pointed out that defragging the hard drive was to hard to find.
TehGritz - Awesome Banner Posted Image
Right_Trigger - Told me about playing offline
streetstar5 - Gave a way of assigning java applets more or less memory
Deadkill - Gave the transparent image and what to do with it.
LordKitsuna - Told me that quite a bit of my information was wrong. Not on what to do but explaining why it worked.

Posted Image

furaiz
    furaiz

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1254 posts
  • Minecraft: furaiz

Posted 05 June 2011 - 01:52 AM

View PostIronWaffle, on 27 May 2011 - 09:00 PM, said:

Don't - Set javaw.exe priority to high. Many people suggest this but I have never seen this work and just causes a bunch of other negative side effects. If Minecraft really needs the extra memory it will get it from the computer. Just dumping memory into it won't help, and takes away from other programs, slowing them down and possibly even slowing down your computer, which will slow down minecraft, which will completely defeat the purpose of giving it more memory. And it can cause instability and cause Minecraft to crash.

Considering Minecraft is CPU intensive,I'd say it needs all the extra memory it can get.
Priority only changes how 'often' for want of a better word, that the computer will provide additional memory/allow extra cpu usage to go to Minecraft.

Critical System Processes are high by default, but very few processes that your computer will run in the background use a lot of CPU. Most are normal priority by default.

It will not cause instability in the system by increasing the priority of a program/process that you know needs a lot of CPU devoted to it.

Although in the other extreme, setting a program that uses a lot of memory to low priority, will cause lots of lag and slowdown, and just for the program itself. If you did this with Minecraft, I guarantee you would crash a lot more, and this would cause instability.

High priority on CPU intensive programs is the right way to go about reducing problems. Sure, anything in the background will run sluggishly if it's starved of memory, e.g internet browsers. This is why you shouldn't increase priorities when you have other programs running that also need an adequate allocation of memory.

If you're going to be using other programs while playing minecraft, then don't increase Minecraft's priority if you want everything else to run as smoothly.

I should say that reducing the priority of recording programs while increasing priority on Minecraft works perfectly fine. programs such as Fraps 'technically' run in the background. This will boost FPS while recording.

If you have a good computer that runs Minecraft fine, then priority won't do much, if anything for you.

If you have a poor computer, priority will often allow Minecraft to run smoother.

I also remember being pretty much the first person to point out that altering priority did improver performance.. eh it was sometime last year. I dunno if I could dig up a thread that old.

Edited by furaiz, 05 June 2011 - 01:56 AM.

IronWaffle
    IronWaffle

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 954 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 04:10 AM

View Postfuraiz, on 05 June 2011 - 01:52 AM, said:

It will not cause instability in the system by increasing the priority of a program/process that you know needs a lot of CPU devoted to it.
This I can argue against. When I try doing this on my netbook it doesn't help at all, then it freezes minecraft if I pause it.

Posted Image

Frontsalat
  • Minecraft: Frontsalat

Posted 05 June 2011 - 06:56 AM

View PostIronWaffle, on 05 June 2011 - 04:10 AM, said:

This I can argue against. When I try doing this on my netbook it doesn't help at all, then it freezes minecraft if I pause it.

That's on your computer. Not anyone has the same PC as you do.

Your guide is flawed in multiple ways:

1. You tell people what they can and can't do...you probably want to change that into "try for yourself, see if it has any positive effect".
2. You based the whole guide on your point of view about what should be done to speed up Minecraft.
3. I would suggest Java 7 only to people who want to experiment with Minecraft and know what they're doing, because it's a premature BETA. Can't confirm that Java 7 has any benefits on FPS over Java 6.25
4. How should modding your game, in general, speed up Minecraft?
5. Having other programms in the background running shouldn't be a problem, unless you have 20 programms running at the same time and/or use an ancient system. In fact, I wouldn't recommend to anyone turning of their Antivirus Software, which is running in the background, when playing the game browser based.
6. You don't need to be a technical wizard to change or deinstall your GPU drivers or any other hardware related drivers.
7. If Minecraft starts to lag after 30 minutes, then this is not necessarily related to the overheating of your hardware.

However, it's correct what you said about Optimine/-fog, allocating more memory to Java and that Gamebooster sucks elephant balls.

The video seems to be a holy grail if it does what this guy in the video promises. We'll see if this gets rid of the lag spike I'm experiecing. If so, you get a cookie for showing me the video.

Stop to believe, start to think! F.Salat

Survivalist Ingenuity Series - Metallurgy&Realism

jeremyblake
  • Minecraft: cockyjeremy

Posted 05 June 2011 - 08:35 AM

Nice list.
Just a dude that's into Minecraft that's always looking for new texture packs, mods, etc. :)

IronWaffle
    IronWaffle

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 954 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 07:48 PM

View PostFrontsalat, on 05 June 2011 - 06:56 AM, said:

That's on your computer. Not anyone has the same PC as you do.

Your guide is flawed in multiple ways:

1. You tell people what they can and can't do...you probably want to change that into "try for yourself, see if it has any positive effect".
2. You based the whole guide on your point of view about what should be done to speed up Minecraft.
3. I would suggest Java 7 only to people who want to experiment with Minecraft and know what they're doing, because it's a premature BETA. Can't confirm that Java 7 has any benefits on FPS over Java 6.25
4. How should modding your game, in general, speed up Minecraft?
5. Having other programms in the background running shouldn't be a problem, unless you have 20 programms running at the same time and/or use an ancient system. In fact, I wouldn't recommend to anyone turning of their Antivirus Software, which is running in the background, when playing the game browser based.
6. You don't need to be a technical wizard to change or deinstall your GPU drivers or any other hardware related drivers.
7. If Minecraft starts to lag after 30 minutes, then this is not necessarily related to the overheating of your hardware.

However, it's correct what you said about Optimine/-fog, allocating more memory to Java and that Gamebooster sucks elephant balls.

The video seems to be a holy grail if it does what this guy in the video promises. We'll see if this gets rid of the lag spike I'm experiecing. If so, you get a cookie for showing me the video.
You make a valid argument.
1. I'll add the try it out note at the top.
2. If it works for me it'll work for others, what I didn't think about was how many it might actually help. So I'll fix some things.
3. I'll point out this is very experimental.
4. By modding I mean only adding optifog.
5. Which is why took out the game booster one. I said having programs open, not in the background, will slow it down.
6. I made sure to point is this is possibly dangerous because if a person who knows very little about their computer decides to replace their driver and something goes wrong they'll be completely lost.
7. No not necessarily but possibility. I'll point that out too.

I highly appreciate your criticism because I want this to be the best guide to help the most people. I'll fix it soon.

Posted Image

IronWaffle
    IronWaffle

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 954 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 10:29 PM

View PostFrontsalat, on 05 June 2011 - 06:56 AM, said:

-snip-
Is it better or does it still need work?

Posted Image

ighnot
    ighnot

Carpenter

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:00 PM

What settings are recommended (not only within the game, but for drivers, OS stuff (like java priority, etc), and the like, if you have a really powerful computer and want the game to look its best?  I have some 256x256 texture mods loaded and enough juice in this thing to run the latest triple-A titles like butter, but when it comes to seemingly simple-looking programs like this I found early that the 3-d grid nature of the world and the render limitations of Java brought my rig down a bit-- not 'to its knees' or anything, but some choppiness I really wasn't used to.

So for you people with beefy rigs, what are you running the game at?  Another thing-- using F-11 to put the game at full screen is nice and all, but the graphics scale UP and don't really look BETTER, only BIGGER.  Anything to be done for this?  I've seen some videos on YouTube that show much more detailed textures and such, more than I've ever seen with the mods I'm running, but I don't have a clue what they DID to get that look.  

Any help or advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

I'm excited to think what this game's going to be like when it's officially released.

Ighnot

Thundrag
    Thundrag

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 01:07 AM

Um I did all the steps you said for the start javaw -Xmx256M -Djava.library.path=bin/natives -cp bin/minecraft.jar;bin/jinput.jar;bin/lwjgl.jar;bin/lwjgl_util.jar net.minecraft.client.Minecraft username password

But when I try to use it with the shortcut I get... is Windows cannot find "javaw"
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

IronWaffle
    IronWaffle

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 954 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 01:14 AM

View PostThundrag, on 08 June 2011 - 01:07 AM, said:

Um I did all the steps you said for the start javaw -Xmx256M -Djava.library.path=bin/natives -cp bin/minecraft.jar;bin/jinput.jar;bin/lwjgl.jar;bin/lwjgl_util.jar net.minecraft.client.Minecraft username password

But when I try to use it with the shortcut I get... is Windows cannot find "javaw"
Are you sure you typed in your username and password right? And the .bat file is in the .minecraft folder along with the bin and resources folder?

Posted Image

Thundrag
    Thundrag

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 01:21 AM

View PostIronWaffle, on 08 June 2011 - 01:14 AM, said:

Are you sure you typed in your username and password right? And the .bat file is in the .minecraft folder along with the bin and resources folder?

Yeah I got all my username stuff right and I put it in my .minecraft folder. But Do i have to put it in the bin and resource folders too? Or do I have to make it run as administrator O.o?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

IronWaffle
    IronWaffle

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 954 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 01:34 AM

View PostThundrag, on 08 June 2011 - 01:21 AM, said:

Yeah I got all my username stuff right and I put it in my .minecraft folder. But Do i have to put it in the bin and resource folders too? Or do I have to make it run as administrator O.o?
Everything should be running smoothly. What operating system do you have? And do you know what version of java do you have?

Posted Image

Thundrag
    Thundrag

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 01:50 AM

View PostIronWaffle, on 08 June 2011 - 01:34 AM, said:

Everything should be running smoothly. What operating system do you have? And do you know what version of java do you have?

Um All I remember is I have windows vista and no idea what java version  =/. Says something on the one of the file names jre1.6.0._02 =/ might be old lol
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

IronWaffle
    IronWaffle

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 954 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 02:06 AM

View PostThundrag, on 08 June 2011 - 01:50 AM, said:

Um All I remember is I have windows vista and no idea what java version  =/. Says something on the one of the file names jre1.6.0._02 =/ might be old lol
It should work, this is strange. The current Java is 1.6.26. I don't think updating java would work. Keep trying, sometimes the .bat file is stubborn when trying to start it the first time.

Posted Image

Thundrag
    Thundrag

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 07:25 PM

View PostIronWaffle, on 08 June 2011 - 02:06 AM, said:

It should work, this is strange. The current Java is 1.6.26. I don't think updating java would work. Keep trying, sometimes the .bat file is stubborn when trying to start it the first time.

Wierd I fixed i by making it a zip file then placing it in .minecraft then using jzip to run the batch while still in the zip file.  :blink:
but then if i try to play multi-player I get bad login <_<
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

IronWaffle
    IronWaffle

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 954 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:51 PM

View PostThundrag, on 08 June 2011 - 07:25 PM, said:

Wierd I fixed i by making it a zip file then placing it in .minecraft then using jzip to run the batch while still in the zip file.  :blink:
but then if i try to play multi-player I get bad login <_<
That is so strange... idk if the username and password is case sensitive... I'll add a note that doing the custom launcher may be buggy for some people

Posted Image

bare_fisted_killer
    bare_fisted_killer

The Meaning of Life, the Universe, and Everything...

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • Minecraft: derek_west

Posted 10 June 2011 - 12:28 AM

the video was a bit off topic at times but other wise a pretty good list.
Posted Image [SSSS]

Lost-Ninja
    Lost-Ninja

Redstone Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 570 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:07 AM

If you have more than one physical HDD (if you only have one (eg a laptop) ignore this), follow these instructions to copy your minecraft installation onto a 2ndary drive. This may improve performance.
1)Find your minecraft install. Default is: C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft
2)On the other HDD make a new directory called Minecraft. eg D:\Minecraft.
3)In that directory create two more directories one called bin and the other called data. So:
D:\Minecraft\bin
D:\Minecraft\data
4)Copy the minecraft.exe that you use to launch the game into the bin directory.
5)Copy the entirety of the C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft into the data directory so that it looks something like: d:\Minecraft\data\.minecraft\ ((Make sure you copy rather than move as this will give you a backup in case of failure.))
6)Create a .bat file that contains the following text: (To create a .bat file you need to create a text file then change the extension from .txt to .bat.)
set APPDATA=d:\Minecraft\data
bin\minecraft.exe
7)Update any shortcuts you use to launch the game to point to this .bat file.

If you have x64 OS you should get a better FPS/performance running a x64 JRE.

Some evidence suggests that using the JDK also boosts performance (does for me and I have heard other people have had some success with it. (This is the Java Development Kit, it includes the JRE (the normal Java most people have) and shouldn't make things slower but might improve things.

I haven't had any luck getting Optimine & Optifog working with my mods (missing textures) however installing the Lag Spikes of Death patch has made a huge impact on my framerates. Get it here it's a little below the main Optimine/Optifog downloads by the donate button. And modifies the fb.class file. (I think it does something to stop MC saving every 5 seconds but am not sure...)

However while the above have all helped me eke out a fair amount of FPS and remove an awful lot of chug they may not work for everyone.
[INFO] Sending serverside check to: Lost-Ninja
[WARNING] Lost-Ninja moved wrongly!
[INFO] Stopping server

IronWaffle
    IronWaffle

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 954 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:41 PM

View PostLost-Ninja, on 17 June 2011 - 10:07 AM, said:

-snip-
Nice tutorial. I'll include this in the guide. Does this work for 64bit only or 32 bit as well. Doing the tutorial and using jdk instead of jre. And does jdk use more power then jre. Also do you know if using the beta jdk7 runs the game smoother than jdk6.

Posted Image