Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

[1.0.0v1] Multi-use Doors

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
341 replies to this topic

Evandela

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:07 PM

POPULAR

Update Sept. 23, 2012: Since I no longer play Minecraft, I have no plans of continuing this mod. My attempt to upgrade this to version 1.3.2 revealed that it requires a substantial rewrite, so unfortunately the source code wouldn't be much use. If I decide I want to update and clean up the source code in the future, I might, but I cannot make any promises.

This aims to make doors as useful and versatile as possible without adding any new blocks or items. That way your world should be usable without item loss when used without this mod. (Just be careful about where you place the windows. Default Minecraft will delete the block directly underneath when one gets disturbed.)

Note to TooManyItems users: This mod does work with it installed! You just won't see the new doors in the TooManyItems inventory because the creator excluded door blocks, so craft the items in your inventory. Ask about making an exception for door blocks on that thread if you aren't happy with creative mode, since the simple solution is on that end.

Download:
Required: Modloader
1.0.0v1
1.8.1v1.1
1.7.2v1.1 - Works for 1.7.3 too!
1.6.6 v2.1
1.6.5 and 1.6.6 v2 (Non-Modloader)
1.5_01v1(Non-Modloader)

32x textures:
Kind Craft Texture Pack by Drascoll
Gerudoku textures by zedas

Installation instructions:
Note: When using any mod, or even unmodded Minecraft, it is wise to back up any worlds you don't want to risk. Using window variations may cause block deletion if you change nearby blocks without this mod installed.

Modloader:
  • Download and install Modloader from this thread.
  • Open .minecraft/mods or create the folder mods if it doesn't yet exist. An easy way to go there is to click "Open texture pack folder" under "Mods and Texture Packs"
  • Place the .zip file for the modloader version of this mod in the mods folder.
  • Optional: Customize your graphics. More information is in the doors file.
  • Start or restart Minecraft
Update history:
Spoiler:

Features:
Posted Image

- Video by Drascoll (textures are from the KindCraft texture pack)

Crafting recipes
If the spoiler boxes below won't open, give minecraftforum.net permission to run javascript.
Spoiler:

Trapdoor tweaks
Spoiler:

Simple double doors
Spoiler:

Diagonal doors
Spoiler:

Half-doors
Spoiler:

Fence gates and windows
Spoiler:

Shutters and openable windows
Spoiler:

More placement options
Spoiler:

Future plans:
Many of these will be Modloader-only, due to compatibility issues
  • Rendering single-wide shutters as two smaller doors
  • Make shutters placeable on glass block sides
  • Make trapdoor textures turn to match the hinge location
  • Create a version for servers. Unfortunately, it looks like everyone using the server would need to have this mod installed.
How you can help me:
Please give any specific feedback you have.

For instance, does a feature feel odd or wrong? Have you always wanted doors to do something not mentioned here? Is something confusing? Have you found a bug?

Edited by Evandela, 23 September 2012 - 11:22 PM.

Register or log in to remove.

senki614
    senki614

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 703 posts
  • Minecraft: senki614

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:10 PM

Looks awesome...I only checked out the pictures right now..but later I'll read over it and possibly download it.

Evandela

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:02 PM

Thanks. I don't like the graphics too much yet, but the base code was more or less done and I need to create a separate Modloader version to avoid incompatibility with just about every mod out there.

xx ulti xx

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:33 PM

maybe change the way how the fence door looks. a little bit more like a port, with the fence look, u know.
nice mod tough.

Evandela

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:51 PM

By port, do you mean portal? If so, I'm not sure how well that would turn out, but I can look into it. If not, for shapes that Minecraft doesn't have by default, I need to change the block rendering class. I definitely will change rendering later on, but not until I get a Modloader version working to avoid incompatibility.

Either way, I'd like to hear more about your idea.

Matthewbe
    Matthewbe

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 343 posts
  • Minecraft: Matthewbe
  • Xbox:matthewbee9

Posted 25 May 2011 - 09:02 PM

I actually like this A LOT!

But, Until it's modloader compatible, I probally won't use it. Feel free to PM me when it's Modloader compatible. :3
Posted Image

*-Game Modes Forum Moderator-*

Matthewbe
    Matthewbe

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 343 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 09:04 PM

Also, you should be able to right click it to add a GUI, and tell it what kind of door/gate/shutter you want it to be.
Posted Image

caspur
    caspur

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 09:06 PM

I like this mod a lot.. watch out though, BetterBlocks is pretty much incorporating all of these features slowly.. But still. You have a great idea here.
Caspur's Creative Mods
AutoID , PlanksGalore, and Mods to enhance the BUILDING aspect of Minecraft.

Evandela

Posted 25 May 2011 - 09:28 PM

View PostMatthewbe, on 25 May 2011 - 09:02 PM, said:

I actually like this A LOT!

But, Until it's modloader compatible, I probally won't use it. Feel free to PM me when it's Modloader compatible. :3
It is Modloader compatible; I made sure of that. It just doesn't use Modloader yet.

View PostMatthewbe, on 25 May 2011 - 09:04 PM, said:

Also, you should be able to right click it to add a GUI, and tell it what kind of door/gate/shutter you want it to be.
The game figures out what kind of door it is based on the surrounding blocks. Short of using a new block ID or doing something weird like making the door a container, there's not much I can do about that. If you mean telling the game to change the door textures for all of a category from inside the game, that won't happen for a long while if I ever program that, but I do plan to allow graphics options by changing a terrain.png-style door graphics file.

View Postcaspur, on 25 May 2011 - 09:06 PM, said:

I like this mod a lot.. watch out though, BetterBlocks is pretty much incorporating all of these features slowly.. But still. You have a great idea here.
Haha, it probably doesn't help that I already gave the double door code to Kalin Magus, which he may gladly use if he wants. I am taking a slightly different approach and trying not to trample on toes, but it was eerie how soon after I started on this he released the door part with many of the same ideas. BetterBlocks is one reason I didn't include any of the fence improvements I did while testing, though the gates looked a lot better with fences connecting to them.

kowon1
    kowon1

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 11:00 PM

Sweet. :||||: :||||: :||||: :||||: :||||: :||||: :D
Posted Image
Posted Image
    Posted Image

Evandela

Posted 26 May 2011 - 05:34 PM

Version 1.6.4 is out.

It's harder to program without Minecraft Coder Pack updated, so it might still behave a bit weirdly.

iTzAaRoNxDD

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:55 PM

You should add in like Windows like these:

Posted Image

Fdfe096
    Fdfe096

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:57 PM

cool :Diamond:

caspur
    caspur

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:57 PM

I really like the shutters. Now THATs a unique feature. Good for you updating to 1.6.4 so quickly. I'm really not looking forward to updating my mods.
Caspur's Creative Mods
AutoID , PlanksGalore, and Mods to enhance the BUILDING aspect of Minecraft.

ihazsammich
  • Minecraft: ihazsammich

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:02 PM

This is really cool, i don't really like the graphics though :/ They're not horrible but could be better.

Frozenfishie

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:03 PM

View PostiTzAaRoNxDD, on 26 May 2011 - 06:55 PM, said:

Posted Image

Yea. That would be cool^^ :iapprove:

Matthewbe
    Matthewbe

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 343 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:19 PM

Diagonal doors and shutters would be freaking awesome. (Saw the future plans)

How about something that incorperates the trapdoor?
Posted Image

Evandela

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:50 PM

View PostiTzAaRoNxDD, on 26 May 2011 - 06:55 PM, said:

[picture]
That  fits my idea of shutter doors much better! It will have to wait until I make  rendering changes though. I've been toying with the idea of opening  outwards like the shutters I'm used to seeing, perhaps allowing them to be  placed on glass blocks' sides. Ideally it will also be possible to make  them more than one block tall.

View Postcaspur, on 26 May 2011 - 06:57 PM, said:

I really  like the shutters. Now THATs a unique feature. Good for you updating to  1.6.4 so quickly. I'm really not looking forward to updating my mods.
I wanted to see how much effort it would take, but your mods look more complex to update. If you want, I can send you the list of classes and methods I figured out while updating this.

View Postihazsammich, on 26 May 2011 - 07:02 PM, said:

This is really cool, i don't really like the graphics though :/ They're not horrible but could be better.
I  agree  about the graphics. These are mainly placeholders until I get  a  Modloader version working, at which point they will only remain  for  people who don't use the extra graphics file or don't want to  use  Modloader.

View PostMatthewbe, on 26 May 2011 - 07:19 PM, said:

Diagonal doors and shutters would be freaking awesome. (Saw the future plans)

How about something that incorperates the trapdoor?
I'm open to ideas. The only one I have so far makes the trapdoor work like the one I originally planned: a top-of-the-block door that opens downwards.

moldy912
  • Minecraft: moldy912

Posted 26 May 2011 - 08:04 PM

Nice, but someone has already made many of these things, and a lot better too. I think having to destroy half a door to make a half door or shutters is kinda silly. I think you should assign specific recipes to each.

Posted Image
I make mod videos! Ask me and I'll make one for you!

iTzAaRoNxDD

Posted 26 May 2011 - 08:11 PM

View PostEvandela, on 26 May 2011 - 07:50 PM, said:

That  fits my idea of shutter doors much better! It will have to wait until I make  rendering changes though. I've been toying with the idea of opening  outwards like the shutters I'm used to seeing, perhaps allowing them to be  placed on glass blocks' sides. Ideally it will also be possible to make  them more than one block tall.
I liked the idea, Also love the mod, I haven't used it yet until all my mods are on 1.6.2 on which then I will see if they're compatible with them and I'll be happy enough to download it..+rep <3