SMP

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 594 posts
  • Minecraft: SMP

Posted 04 December 2009 - 01:32 AM

Realistic Texture Pack
CityBuild Texture Pack

Creative (v.30) versions are in a folder named "Creative", after unzipping.
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

Daedal
    Daedal

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 01:45 AM

=D! I love the realistic pack. It makes me feel like Bear Grylls in survival.
~Daedal

Duke 2.0
    Duke 2.0

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1612 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 01:46 AM

I'll say the same thing I said to the other 'realistic' texture pack: While a good concept it suffers from the medium it is in. One cannot take a raw real life texture and just paste it onto a surface in a 3D environment and have it look good. It needs to fit in with it's surroundings. Thus why Minecraft ultimately looks better with textures made to seem a bit abstract, as seeing real life textures in perfect squares causes peoples mind to say "wait, that isn't how ground works..."
However, I must make an exception here. I don't know what you did differently, but this doesn't look nearly as awkward as other attempts. I personally don't like it, but I can see the appeal. It does look very pretty and the blocks are relatively uniform in how good they look.

So yeah, congrats on a good pack.

SMP
    SMP

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 594 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 01:50 AM

I'll say the same thing I said to the other 'realistic' texture pack: While a good concept it suffers from the medium it is in. One cannot take a raw real life texture and just paste it onto a surface in a 3D environment and have it look good. It needs to fit in with it's surroundings. Thus why Minecraft ultimately looks better with textures made to seem a bit abstract, as seeing real life textures in perfect squares causes peoples mind to say "wait, that isn't how ground works..."
However, I must make an exception here. I don't know what you did differently, but this doesn't look nearly as awkward as other attempts. I personally don't like it, but I can see the appeal. It does look very pretty and the blocks are relatively uniform in how good they look.

So yeah, congrats on a good pack.
It's better described as "SMP's Realistic* Texture Pack"

* as realistic as 16x16 can get

The reason I use "realistic" is because I worked off of real textures of grass/rock/etc. Don't think I just shrunk em down and left em like that though, these are so heavily modded they're 100% my work. Anyway, they're more "realistic" because of the colours I used.
Posted Image

johnyboyj

Posted 04 December 2009 - 12:59 PM

Willy Wonka!!

As I said before, very nice work.
Proud Architect of WoM.

NeatNit
    NeatNit

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 734 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 02:48 PM

The realistic thing is awesome. I want to install it on realistic.minecraft.net (I don't want to use it ALL THE TIME :))

However, it lacks one important feature. INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS!! The Readme reads:

Thanks for downloading my texture pack! I've burned through many weeks and many versions by now, I hope you enjoy it! Any future updates will most likely be on www.montpeliervillagepizza.com/sean (don't ask).

Come play on my server sometime! "WoM: SMP's Server of Love"

~SMP
As you can see, no installation instructions.

That's the only flaw. Otherwise, I cannot believe you succeeded this well :P
Posted Image

SMP
    SMP

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 594 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 04:20 PM

The realistic thing is awesome. I want to install it on realistic.minecraft.net (I don't want to use it ALL THE TIME :))

However, it lacks one important feature. INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS!! The Readme reads:

Thanks for downloading my texture pack! I've burned through many weeks and many versions by now, I hope you enjoy it! Any future updates will most likely be on www.montpeliervillagepizza.com/sean (don't ask).

~SMP

That's the only flaw. Otherwise, I cannot believe you succeeded this well :P
Well, I wasn't aware there was any other way to use a skin besides using the WoM client lol. If you're using the WoM client, you just unrar it to your "skin" folder.

EDIT: URL has changed to http://www.thatgamer.com/smp

thanks to laCour (Jon) for hosting it.
Posted Image

Skywars
    Skywars

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:00 PM

I love it :(
Thanks for all the hard work!
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty. -Winston Churchill

NeatNit
    NeatNit

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 734 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 11:01 PM

The realistic thing is awesome. I want to install it on realistic.minecraft.net (I don't want to use it ALL THE TIME :P)

~SMP

That's the only flaw. Otherwise, I cannot believe you succeeded this well :(
Well, I wasn't aware there was any other way to use a skin besides using the WoM client lol. If you're using the WoM client, you just unrar it to your "skin" folder.

Well, it's sort of hacky, but it's in this sticky: viewtopic.php?id=2358

To be honest I'm too lazy (and tired - but mostly lazy) to check it out right now myself, and tell you where each file needs to be. I *think* the folders aren't the same as in WoM. And I'm NEVER going to use the WoM client.
Posted Image

SMP
    SMP

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 594 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 11:09 PM

The realistic thing is awesome. I want to install it on realistic.minecraft.net (I don't want to use it ALL THE TIME :P)

That's the only flaw. Otherwise, I cannot believe you succeeded this well :(

Well, it's sort of hacky, but it's in this sticky: viewtopic.php?id=2358

To be honest I'm too lazy (and tired - but mostly lazy) to check it out right now myself, and tell you where each file needs to be. I *think* the folders aren't the same as in WoM. And I'm NEVER going to use the WoM client.
I see. Just keep the file structure intact. Replace all instances of "skin folder" in the instructions to whatever folder hosts terrain.png there.
Posted Image

NeatNit
    NeatNit

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 734 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 11:43 PM

Alright, I installed it. For some reason anything other than www.minecraft.net and just minecraft.net just gives a black screen after it generates a level. If I press esc it brings the menu, but I can't cause the black screen to disappear. So I just installed the realism skin on minecraft.net. It looks really good! I chose not to use the new GUI and the loading background tile, to keep the classic ones.

Anyway, there's one thing that bugs me a lttle. I doubt you can do anything to make it look better, but... Well, if you remove a grass block in the middle of a field and put a dirt block there, it just looks so... SQUARE!! :(

Aside from that, a job very, very very VERY well done.

Also, I was wrong - the files really do go in the same places :P
Posted Image

SMP
    SMP

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 594 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 03:12 AM

Anyway, there's one thing that bugs me a lttle. I doubt you can do anything to make it look better, but... Well, if you remove a grass block in the middle of a field and put a dirt block there, it just looks so... SQUARE!! :)
I can't fix the dirt/grass blending issue without having tiled dirt look really weird :/

Aside from that, a job very, very very VERY well done.
Thanks!
Posted Image

Kitkat
    Kitkat

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 03:52 AM

This looks VERY cool. I don't want to install it for fear of messing up minecraft, though...

Say, could you get more screenshots of the different materials, like wood and cloth?

Whoops, nevermind... Didn't think to check the link until AFTER I had this posted >_<

I like that marble re-texture of the options menu buttons

You made a point of not quite liking the glass block (and sponges, but that really can't be made much better). My suggestion is to get rid of those breaks in the frame, and maybe make the steaks inside sort of little blurry areas (assuming you have a program that supports partial transparency/blocks support partial transparency.)

Towel
    Towel

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1332 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 07:30 AM

This looks VERY cool. I don't want to install it for fear of messing up minecraft, though...
Actually, it's very easy to install skins and there's NO possibility of fucking up your minecraft at all. If you're really that paranoid about it, just backup your minecraft.jar, but skins will NEVER break the game. (Well, if you do the wrong sized images, you can end up with a lot of error blocks, but seeing as how the skin packs are all the same size blah blah blah, it'll always work.)

Simply fire up 7zip (and I believe winrar, winzip, and some others work as well) and go to the folder that your minecraft.jar is. You'll have to ask someone else or find it yourself as I cba to do it right now I'm sort of tired. (Just woke up) Once you've opened the .jar file with your program of choice, all you need to do is drag and drop the textures into the correct folders, and the correct folders are basically the first folder you should see in the .jar. I really ought to write my own tutorial on it.

But year, if you're all that worried, just back up your minecraft.jar before you add skins. But hell, if you need to, you just have to delete the whole .jar anyways and it'll just redownload it the next time you try to play.
meowmeow

SMP
    SMP

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 594 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 01:41 PM

Say, could you get more screenshots of the different materials, like wood and cloth?

Whoops, nevermind... Didn't think to check the link until AFTER I had this posted >_<

I like that marble re-texture of the options menu buttons

You made a point of not quite liking the glass block (and sponges, but that really can't be made much better). My suggestion is to get rid of those breaks in the frame, and maybe make the steaks inside sort of little blurry areas (assuming you have a program that supports partial transparency/blocks support partial transparency.)
Thanks. Unfortunately, Minecraft doesn't support partial transparency (at least not on glass). Having anything in the middle makes it too hard to see through. Having the edges without any breaks makes it look un-glass like, it's strange. I'll probably be fiddling with the glass texture for a while, but I don't expect a better one to come out of it anytime soon :/.
Posted Image

SMP
    SMP

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 594 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 01:30 AM

Bump for massive update! I released a new Wasteland skin, inspired by LuciferZ (I hope you don't mind any competition, yours is great and I'll help you out if you want :D). I also updated my realistic texture pack with new textures.
Posted Image

Mikesword221

Posted 09 December 2009 - 02:35 AM

God I love how those maps fit so well with the packs. Can we get some links to them as well?
It's MikeSWORD221 not Mike's word221. Got it?
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

SMP
    SMP

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 594 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 02:56 AM

God I love how those maps fit so well with the packs. Can we get some links to them as well?
Heh, I always go location scouting for areas that would go well with my skins (for pictures). All the maps can be found on WoM: SMP's museums (/museum name). I'm afraid I don't have any downloaded though.
Posted Image

Snake
    Snake

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1764 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 03:05 AM

LOVING the wasteland mod. Care to make a wallpaper of it? : )

SMP
    SMP

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 594 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 03:32 AM

LOVING the wasteland mod. Care to make a wallpaper of it? : )
That's a great idea! I'm building a nice scene for a wallpaper right now :D
Posted Image