Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Builder's Hammer


  • Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1

BSG
    BSG

    Stone Miner

  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 03:08 AM

Gist:
-  The hammer's primary fire selects a surface on a block while secondary adds more of that block from the user's inventory to the selected side of the block.
-  Speed, item decay and distance of block placement from the origin block could depend upon block type and hammer material.
- Touching blocks could be activated together.

I find myself wanting to build more epic structures than I'll ever feasibly have time to create.  I think a hammer should allow the player to select a surface with left click, and then right click multiple times anywhere on the block to add more blocks of that type from your inventory in the direction of the selected surface.  The speed of adding blocks and the rate of durability loss would depend upon the hammer quality and block type.  Perhaps multiple surfaces could be chosen to create walls or branch out in more than one direction.  The distance the blocks could be placed from the origin block could limit the power of the tool.  Perhaps an overpowered option is to allow touching blocks to be multi-selected and walls could be raised together, with a time loss per selected block of course.  This would also leave the player exposed for long period of time while building up walls.  I think it would fit in well with the MC theme.
My Current Suggestion Thread:
Redcraft Mod:  Redstone Blueprints

Register or log in to remove.

#2

FailedWizard

Posted 20 May 2011 - 03:13 AM

So.. you want a tool.. for placing blocks?

Posted Image
Taking trolling to a whole new level, one post at a time.

#3

PhoenixBrave

Posted 20 May 2011 - 03:14 AM

View PostFailedWizard, on 20 May 2011 - 03:13 AM, said:

So.. you want a tool.. for placing blocks?

SNIP
My thoughts exactly.
Posted Image

#4

BSG
    BSG

    Stone Miner

  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 03:16 AM

Yes, it'd be faster to strafe while hammering on one wall of the floor while adding 12 blocks to each row on the inside of a halfstep floor, than to place each one individually.  It'd make building walls up a bit safer, but tall buildings would still require climbing due to the distance limit.  It'd speed up building epic structures to be more feasible and less time consuming.  The stone tool could be much slower to encourage hand-crafting early homes, while the diamond hammer is much faster than building by hand.
My Current Suggestion Thread:
Redcraft Mod:  Redstone Blueprints

#5

FailedWizard

Posted 20 May 2011 - 03:22 AM

But.. bu.. but.. you can already place blocks. Is it really so much of a problem that you have to take the time to move and place blocks individually?
Taking trolling to a whole new level, one post at a time.

#6

BSG
    BSG

    Stone Miner

  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 03:30 AM

I don't think it's unheard of to ask for a further scale of the endgame.  After building one epic structure, another seems like a lifetime.  A giant village shouldn't take months, or even weeks.  After establishing a strong flow of resources, a large structure could take less time, with the same amount of effort and planning involved.  I didn't realize my suggestion was so absurd.  It's not as if destroying blocks doesn't scale as you play, I don't know why placing blocks couldn't also become less stressful as you play.  You don't think some people, even if they aren't you, could use this tool or is it entirely invalid like your seemingly astonished posts imply?
My Current Suggestion Thread:
Redcraft Mod:  Redstone Blueprints

#7

Sting_Auer
  • Location: aww crap I think I'm lost...

Posted 20 May 2011 - 03:34 AM

View PostBSG, on 20 May 2011 - 03:30 AM, said:

I don't think it's unheard of to ask for a further scale of the endgame.  After building one epic structure, another seems like a lifetime.  A giant village shouldn't take months, or even weeks.  After establishing a strong flow of resources, a large structure could take less time, with the same amount of effort and planning involved.  I didn't realize my suggestion was so absurd.  It's not as if destroying blocks doesn't scale as you play, I don't know why placing blocks couldn't also become less stressful as you play.  You don't think some people, even if they aren't you, could use this tool or is it entirely invalid like your seemingly astonished posts imply?


...Because you can already place blocks.


I'm still not understanding how this is any different than how we already place blocks...
Posted Image

#8

BSG
    BSG

    Stone Miner

  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 03:47 AM

It makes placing blocks faster, and allows you to place more than one block type without changing out significant amounts of material.  It's overall just a time saving mechanism, just like the superior qualities of any other tool speeds up its function.  I am not suggesting anything revolutionary or game changing, but it'd simply create a means to rapidly construct, especially so if more than one surface could be multi-selected at a time.  Why is this perplexing?  Because it's a tool and tools are supposed to do wild and crazy new things?

You wouldn't have to be on the side that you're adding blocks to, so making a wall and ceiling would require placing a block down, clicking its top surface and then clicking its side 9 times to make a big wall.  Then clicking on the inside of the wall, 9 blocks up you'd click 10 times to make a ceiling without having to walk backwards and actually build the whole thing.  A 12 block limit would require taller structures, which are more dangerous anyway, to have dangerous block climbing, still.
My Current Suggestion Thread:
Redcraft Mod:  Redstone Blueprints

#9

VonGod
    VonGod

    Coal Miner

  • Members
  • 137 posts
  • Minecraft: VonGod

Posted 20 May 2011 - 03:58 AM

View PostBSG, on 20 May 2011 - 03:47 AM, said:

It makes placing blocks faster, and allows you to place more than one block type without changing out significant amounts of material.  It's overall just a time saving mechanism, just like the superior qualities of any other tool speeds up its function.  I am not suggesting anything revolutionary or game changing, but it'd simply create a means to rapidly construct, especially so if more than one surface could be multi-selected at a time.  Why is this perplexing?  Because it's a tool and tools are supposed to do wild and crazy new things?

I like this idea.
It's like comparing it to real life.
You take hammering a nail into the wall with your hand, vs. hammering a nail into the wall with a wooden hammer, vs. hammering a nail into the wall with a steel hammer.
It makes sense to build faster, which is what I get frustrated with myself, sometimes.
Posted Image

#10

Badprenup
    Badprenup

    Retired Staff

  • Retired Staff
  • 11004 posts
  • Minecraft: Badprenup

Posted 20 May 2011 - 06:06 AM

View PostVonGod, on 20 May 2011 - 03:58 AM, said:

I like this idea.
It's like comparing it to real life.
You take hammering a nail into the wall with your hand, vs. hammering a nail into the wall with a wooden hammer, vs. hammering a nail into the wall with a steel hammer.
It makes sense to build faster, which is what I get frustrated with myself, sometimes.
Of course! It's a brilliant idea! Because everyone know that hammers allow you to place 1 m3 blocks of Stone, Dirt, Logs, Glass, or whatever much faster than without one. That's the purpose of a hammer alright, laying cubes down quickly...

If you can't tell, that was absolutely dripping with sarcasm. This idea makes no sense. This is how Minecraft works:
Switch to Block you want to place.
Place Block.
Repeat until you run out of a stack, finish the project, or get bored.

The proposed system:
Switch to block you want to place.
Place Block.
Switch to hammer.
Use hammer the EXACT same way as you would have placed blocks before.
If hammer breaks, switch to new hammer.
Repeat until you run out of a stack, run out of hammers, finish the project, or get bored.

See how there is twice as many steps? And in the last step there is an additional substep? And that the substep means wasting more material on making an item that does the same function of what we already have? DO YOU FREAKING SEE IT???
Looks like my free time is going to be divided equally between Minecraft suggestions and Starbound suggestions from now on.

#11

BSG
    BSG

    Stone Miner

  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 03:58 PM

Hey, way to be a jerk about it.  I'm suggesting an item that speeds up that process and doesn't require you to physically move around to place blocks higher and higher up, within a limit.  The ability to multi-select surfaces would also drastically speed this process up.

Looks like I should've just posted in the mod suggestion forums, since it doesn't seem like anyone here can possibly fathom the arcane potentials hidden within my mysterious, perplexing suggestion that has everyone so sarcastically confused.  This has not been a conducive or friendly thread in the least.
My Current Suggestion Thread:
Redcraft Mod:  Redstone Blueprints

#12

arirish
    arirish

    Nether Resident

  • Members
  • 2124 posts
  • Minecraft: arirish

Posted 20 May 2011 - 04:02 PM

View PostBSG, on 20 May 2011 - 03:58 PM, said:

Hey, way to be a jerk about it.  I'm suggesting an item that speeds up that process and doesn't require you to physically move around to place blocks higher and higher up, within a limit.  The ability to multi-select surfaces would also drastically speed this process up.

Looks like I should've just posted in the mod suggestion forums, since it doesn't seem like anyone here can possibly fathom the arcane potentials hidden within my mysterious, perplexing suggestion that has everyone so sarcastically confused.  This has not been a conducive or friendly thread in the least.
I think mostly people are just misunderstanding exactly how this tool works.  I know I'm a little confused.  Perhaps you could try rewording your explanation and being clearer.  Diagrams/images might help.

#13

BSG
    BSG

    Stone Miner

  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 04:53 PM

You left click to select a surface or group of surfaces, and then right click anywhere else on the selected block to add a number of blocks of the same type as the source block to that side.  So if you select the top of a wood block and then right click 3 times, 3 blocks are sequentially added to the first, making a stack of 4.  By placing 10 blocks in a row and selecting all of their top or side surfaces and then right clicking 10 times, you could make a 100 block wall or floor in less time than it would take to manually place each block.

This would dramatically speed up the creation of large structures while not adding a copy/paste function.  By limiting the number of blocks that can be added to a single/group of blocks, it still requires planning and organization to raise a structure.  That 10x10 wall could have all of the outer squares selected and expanded together to make a cube, sans one side that could quickly be filled.
My Current Suggestion Thread:
Redcraft Mod:  Redstone Blueprints

#14

Kwickgamer
  • Minecraft: Kwickgamer

Posted 20 May 2011 - 05:54 PM

The thing is, minecraft is not purely building game, it's a survival game, so adding the ability to magicaly teleport blocks to unreachable location is completly out of place. It would make a nice feature for creative mode, when it's finally implemented, but not for survival.
Posted Image

#15

Badprenup
    Badprenup

    Retired Staff

  • Retired Staff
  • 11004 posts
  • Minecraft: Badprenup

Posted 20 May 2011 - 06:34 PM

View PostBSG, on 20 May 2011 - 04:53 PM, said:

You left click to select a surface or group of surfaces, and then right click anywhere else on the selected block to add a number of blocks of the same type as the source block to that side.  So if you select the top of a wood block and then right click 3 times, 3 blocks are sequentially added to the first, making a stack of 4.  By placing 10 blocks in a row and selecting all of their top or side surfaces and then right clicking 10 times, you could make a 100 block wall or floor in less time than it would take to manually place each block.

This would dramatically speed up the creation of large structures while not adding a copy/paste function.  By limiting the number of blocks that can be added to a single/group of blocks, it still requires planning and organization to raise a structure.  That 10x10 wall could have all of the outer squares selected and expanded together to make a cube, sans one side that could quickly be filled.
Now that we have a description that makes any sense at all I understand what you mean. Still, no thanks. The ability for people to grief would increase ten fold. Imagine a game where you can get surrounded by some prick with Stone or Obsidian in a matter of seconds, instead of them having to actually circle you. If they have enough materials, they can literally make it impossible for you to escape. Besides, it isn't like that for a reason. Building is supposed to take time and effort. If I can drop down a mansion in 30 seconds the fun of building is just gone.
Looks like my free time is going to be divided equally between Minecraft suggestions and Starbound suggestions from now on.

#16

BSG
    BSG

    Stone Miner

  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 06:45 PM

Kwickgamer:  That's why limiting the distance of the placement of blocks and selectable number of blocks could be balanced.  It isn't as if the game is entirely oriented towards realism either.  I already outlined how using the tool wouldn't provide any survival advantages besides perhaps speeding up construction of larger structures.  However, as already mentioned: the number of steps required to use the hammer splits incentives, making smaller structures intended for survival and the beginning of the game easier to make by hand, while larger structures that established miners in the end game would build are easier to construct without being automatic or overpowering.

Badprenup:  Finally, some constructive criticism!  The power and speed of the weapon would defend against griefing.  While the tool allows rapid multi-block placement, it wouldn't be automatic by any stretch.  The speed of the tool would be similar to destroying the blocks, so if someone were trying to block you in, you could just jump on the first placed block and jump out.  If they use dirt, it should be easy enough to break out of the dirt.  The more advanced blocks would place slower and be easier to climb while being placed.  Building up something like obsidian would take a lot of time (perhaps more than one hit per block?) so that a player could jump onto the first placed block quickly.  Also, the person with the hammer would have to quickly select all of the blocks around a person before they move out of that perimeter, which shouldn't be too difficult at all.
My Current Suggestion Thread:
Redcraft Mod:  Redstone Blueprints

#17

1.337/88.9
  • Location: Odd Places

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:05 PM

View PostBSG, on 20 May 2011 - 03:58 PM, said:

Hey, way to be a jerk about it.  I'm suggesting an item that speeds up that process and doesn't require you to physically move around to place blocks higher and higher up, within a limit.  The ability to multi-select surfaces would also drastically speed this process up.

Looks like I should've just posted in the mod suggestion forums, since it doesn't seem like anyone here can possibly fathom the arcane potentials hidden within my mysterious, perplexing suggestion that has everyone so sarcastically confused.  This has not been a conducive or friendly thread in the least.
IM CONFUS

Well, this is a forum. I'm just saying. This is a forum and you're taking the chance.
Why would you need to place blocks high up with a hammer, anyways? And wouldn't you have to physically get up there to hammer it down?
Posted Image

#18

LAUAR
    LAUAR

    Carpenter

  • Members
  • 60 posts
  • Location: Serbia
  • Minecraft: LAUAR

Posted 20 May 2011 - 09:11 PM

This is good idea like u say

Quote

tools are supposed to do wild and crazy new things
but

Quote

he thing is, minecraft is not purely building game, it's a survival game, so adding the ability to magicaly teleport blocks to unreachable location is completly out of place. It would make a nice feature for creative mode, when it's finally implemented, but not for survival.
also,selecting multible materials at once will change the game.

Posted Image


#19

BSG
    BSG

    Stone Miner

  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 02:15 PM

I don't really disagree with that point.  Multi-selecting surfaces might be just a bit too overpowered and unrealistic.  I just worry that expanding individual surfaces wont be beneficial enough.
My Current Suggestion Thread:
Redcraft Mod:  Redstone Blueprints

#20

TheColorMan
  • Minecraft: TheColorMan

Posted 22 May 2011 - 02:52 PM

Now, I'm lazy when it comes to reading, so here is what I got so far with this idea.

A tool that lets you place blocks farther away than normal. What about destroying? What if I make that frustrating mistake I know I'll make? Will I have to stack up dirt and dig it down?
Ich spreche keinen Deutsch! :<