Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Mazeworld - A Dimension Of Infinite Ruins


  • Please log in to reply
1302 replies to this topic

#1221

GTG3000
    GTG3000

    Gold Miner

  • Members
  • 376 posts
  • Minecraft: GTG3000

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:15 PM

I smell bells and whistles in the air.

There could be a "support column" with properties of, well, obsidian gravel, e.g.-to fall, but be hard to destruct. Or, maybe, the "fallen" entity would spawn an explosion? If to forget about the performance, it could trash chunks in a... mmm... 64 block radius into a "rubble" biome...

Destroy enough of those, and the maze collapses completely, booting the player back.

Though, still, I kind of like the feel of irreversability...
Posted Image
(terrain/mobs/armor)

Register or log in to remove.

#1222

SC2Daedalus2

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:24 PM

This idea does not belong in Minecraft. It sounds like it should be its own separate game, in fact.

No Support.

#1223

GTG3000
    GTG3000

    Gold Miner

  • Members
  • 376 posts
  • Minecraft: GTG3000

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:32 PM

Well then, thank you for your undoubtedly professional opinion.
Posted Image
(terrain/mobs/armor)

#1224

EyeOfTheDaev
  • Minecraft: dmcklveen

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:23 AM

Well, unfortunately stair blocks aren't working for me right now, and I haven't had a lot of time to work on this (between being sick and classwork) but I threw together a few methods for speeding up making modules.  I also decided to play around with some different styles for the Garden District.  Houston, we have hedges:
Posted Image
I kind of like the castle-y look, but the ramparts can get a little weird on corners.

Edit: Also, SC2Daedalus2, so glad that you, the high and mighty grand arbiter of all that belongs in Minecraft, took the time out of your very busy day to correct we poor, lowly, misguided folk on an issue that will not effect you in any way, shape, or form.  Truly your vision of Minecraft is the end all, be all of everything that could be put in the game.  (Do I really need to say </sarc>?)

@UberFubarius: Terrain generation can handle putting stuff at dead ends, no problem.  I don't know about booting players and destroying the map, though.
Posted Image

#1225

GTG3000
    GTG3000

    Gold Miner

  • Members
  • 376 posts
  • Minecraft: GTG3000

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:29 AM

View PostEyeOfTheDaev, on 29 November 2012 - 04:23 AM, said:

Well, unfortunately stair blocks aren't working for me right now, and I haven't had a lot of time to work on this (between being sick and classwork) but I threw together a few methods for speeding up making modules.  I also decided to play around with some different styles for the Garden District.  Houston, we have hedges:
Posted Image
I kind of like the castle-y look, but the ramparts can get a little weird on corners.

Edit: Also, SC2Daedalus2, so glad that you, the high and mighty grand arbiter of all that belongs in Minecraft, took the time out of your very busy day to correct we poor, lowly, misguided folk on an issue that will not effect you in any way, shape, or form.  Truly your vision of Minecraft is the end all, be all of everything that could be put in the game.  (Do I really need to say </sarc>?)

@UberFubarius: Terrain generation can handle putting stuff at dead ends, no problem.  I don't know about booting players and destroying the map, though.

That's some awesome stuff you got there! And, don't think about bells an whistles for now...
Also, better exclude ramparts... They never look quite there when you have to put an even number of them, though there might be some way to make them look good with a big rampart/hole in the center, though we don't have luxury of putting that much detail in 8x8 to make it look as good, I guess...

Always a strange feeling comparing your way of building to someone elses, heh.
Posted Image
(terrain/mobs/armor)

#1226

Miopic
    Miopic

    Redstone Miner

  • Members
  • 683 posts
  • Location: The Realm of Death oh and anywhere with good coffee
  • Minecraft: Miopic

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:27 AM

cool so are you releasing this as a mod?

#1227

EyeOfTheDaev
  • Minecraft: dmcklveen

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:15 PM

View PostGTG3000, on 29 November 2012 - 06:29 AM, said:

That's some awesome stuff you got there! And, don't think about bells an whistles for now...
Also, better exclude ramparts... They never look quite there when you have to put an even number of them, though there might be some way to make them look good with a big rampart/hole in the center, though we don't have luxury of putting that much detail in 8x8 to make it look as good, I guess...

Always a strange feeling comparing your way of building to someone elses, heh.
Probably smart.  Yeah, it is a little odd how differently people approach things.  I do think it may be a good idea to make a couple different varieties of basic walkways and rooms, just to make it more interesting.  Once I get stairs figured out, I would like to make hedge varieties with little arches in the middle, but I think things other than hedges could look good too.  We don't necessarily need to stick with straight paths, either; we could make little roundabouts (one with a tree in the middle would look cool).

View PostMiopic, on 29 November 2012 - 11:27 AM, said:

cool so are you releasing this as a mod?
That's the plan, though it's in a very early stage in development, and it's currently just me working on it (and I'm learning this stuff as I go).
Posted Image

#1228

GTG3000
    GTG3000

    Gold Miner

  • Members
  • 376 posts
  • Minecraft: GTG3000

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:00 PM

Roundabouts sounds good, would make for a nice hedgemaze...  
Personally I think, that we should make the best we can of the modular style and strucrure, though it's just me.
Right now you only have one connection type implemented?
Posted Image
(terrain/mobs/armor)

#1229

Ric_Adbur
  • Location: United States
  • Minecraft: Ric_Adbur

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:20 PM

I'd love to see this become a mod.
Posted Image

#1230

EyeOfTheDaev
  • Minecraft: dmcklveen

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:37 PM

View PostGTG3000, on 29 November 2012 - 08:00 PM, said:

Roundabouts sounds good, would make for a nice hedgemaze...  
Personally I think, that we should make the best we can of the modular style and strucrure, though it's just me.
Right now you only have one connection type implemented?
Yeah, one of the nice things with the modular system is with a lot of modules you can create a lot of variety simply by putting them together different ways, so more modules is probably a good thing.

Right now I've just got the two top level modules, the hedges and castle lawns (for lack of a better name).  The lawns use room connections and walkway connections, whereas the hedges just use walkway connections.  If I get the time later today, I might play around with putting in a larger 4x4 room module.
Posted Image

#1231

GTG3000
    GTG3000

    Gold Miner

  • Members
  • 376 posts
  • Minecraft: GTG3000

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:06 PM

Well, they always are, but I ment more like "we should totally emphasize the fact that it's all made of cubes', I mean - with arches/borders/corner columns and such.

[edit]
Duuuuuuuude, it's all made of cubes. Recursion!

I wonder, how high up it can go...
Megablocks, made of big rooms, made of modules, made of blocks?
Whole city, stored as a rule for megablock arrangement?
A world, stored as city reference?

...that'd take forever to generate...

[edit]
Kay, a quick attempt at the banner. Thoughts?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
(terrain/mobs/armor)

#1232

tjohn6041
  • Location: Behind you!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:23 PM

I like the banners!
I have been thinking of a technical biome style transportation system to include that stretches throughout Mazeworld. It would be elevated minecart rails.  I have two different concepts working with the new texture pack.  I will publish them on my next day off.

I also have been designing 8x8 "Caps" to add to the top of structures.  The would randomly be attached to the top of structures to give a good visual height variance.
Posted Image

#1233

GTG3000
    GTG3000

    Gold Miner

  • Members
  • 376 posts
  • Minecraft: GTG3000

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:53 PM

Thank you.)
Well, the rails are always sort of a headache... In sp we could no problem make a sustem for single cart, but here... Make a direction-depended connection? Most troubles would be stations, if any, though seeing any concepts would be awesome.

And, caps sound nice, proviided we have a biome with top blocks not being opened as-is.
Posted Image
(terrain/mobs/armor)

#1234

Frankosaurus
  • Location: Mexico
  • Minecraft: Fracoraptor

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:38 AM

*-* Nice idea. You deserve Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image . Actually adding mobs to the mazes would be awesome, and also adding a little courtyard from time to time on the maze would give it a nice touch.

#1235

Waphelz
    Waphelz

    Out of the Water

  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:41 AM

Sounds good :D

#1236

Regular Hexahedron

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:00 AM

Awesome! I love the banners!

And instead of a rail system, which will be difficult to generate so it actually works, what about allowing canals full of water to randomly generate, and make them common enough and long enough that they often intersect and large canal systems can often form? So you can use boats to travel quickly, if not necessarily in a direct line.
To see a list of my redstone inventions check out Regular Hexahedron's Inventorium!

#1237

GTG3000
    GTG3000

    Gold Miner

  • Members
  • 376 posts
  • Minecraft: GTG3000

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:08 AM

View PostRegular Hexahedron, on 03 December 2012 - 08:00 AM, said:

Awesome! I love the banners!

And instead of a rail system, which will be difficult to generate so it actually works, what about allowing canals full of water to randomly generate, and make them common enough and long enough that they often intersect and large canal systems can often form? So you can use boats to travel quickly, if not necessarily in a direct line.

Thank you. maybe you could finally update the OP and at least include them there?
And, does anyone think something need to be changed in them?

And it could be an aqueduct biome/big room, depending on what the rules allow. With 2-module high channel, surrounded with empty space... Mmm...
Posted Image
(terrain/mobs/armor)

#1238

Miopic
    Miopic

    Redstone Miner

  • Members
  • 683 posts
  • Location: The Realm of Death oh and anywhere with good coffee
  • Minecraft: Miopic

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:49 AM

Aqueduct systems sound good, but two things
1. Love the banners
2. UPDATE THE OP

#1239

Regular Hexahedron

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:15 PM

I will update the OP. Can I use the image links you already have for those two banners?

Also, do you want to create a Mazeworld thread in the WIP mod forum, and I can link to it in the OP?
To see a list of my redstone inventions check out Regular Hexahedron's Inventorium!

#1240

GTG3000
    GTG3000

    Gold Miner

  • Members
  • 376 posts
  • Minecraft: GTG3000

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:37 PM

Eye of the Daev should be the one to be asked about the WIP mod forum,
And sure, I don't see why not, I haven't yet seen imgur to do anything funny with hosted images.
Posted Image
(terrain/mobs/armor)