210 replies to this topic

Kody
    Kody

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • Curse Premium
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:38 PM

Early this morning Notch shared a brief preview of a new "sky dimension" that he worked on a bit last night. The new dimension looks to be a series of floating islands. While this was something Notch was probably just toying around with initially -- or joking about -- it looks like thanks to PC Gamer's quick reporting of the tweet, he's now decided to finish it.

No other details are known about when this new sky dimension will make its way to Minecraft, but check out the screenshots below.

Posted Image Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

pikachu777
  • Location: The Aperture Science Computer Aided Enrichment Center
  • Minecraft: pikachu777
  • Xbox:CaramelPichu

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:41 PM

one word: EPIC!<br /><br />I hope its implemented later!

dromaius

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:43 PM

Hmm...unless there are new blocks, mobs, or features, I'm not sure if this would be that great.  Yeah, it looks kinda cool, but it seems that it would end up being pretty much the same as far as gameplay goes.

Teddie
    Teddie

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:49 PM

hmm maybe you can add the aether :D<br />new blocks and stuff and less work for you

Pasquinade

Posted 19 May 2011 - 05:30 PM

Yeah this is kind of lame when compared to the aether mod. Honestly he just should pay them when they finish and bring it into the game, it looks so nice

eritzcolong

Posted 19 May 2011 - 05:33 PM

Aether anyone?

Thosha
    Thosha

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 117 posts
  • Minecraft: Thosha

Posted 19 May 2011 - 05:46 PM

I feel that the death rate of mobs will increase heavily when this comes out. Especially wolves...
Posted Image

Crunkatog

Posted 19 May 2011 - 05:52 PM

Hey, it looks like Notch discovered PhoenixTerrainMod!

Dunno if it's just him having fun with R-T-B's flagship mod, or he is actually implementing it into the vanilla MC terrain engine.

As part of a larger "aether" thing perhaps.

At any rate, looking forward to seeing what comes of it. Personally I don't think the Aether as a concept will add that much to Minecraft, but it entirely depends on what Mojang does with it.

The Nether makes sense, because miners dig down, into the depths of the earth, and lava and all that. Maybe if airships or magic were a larger essential part of the game, the Aether would make sense.

Posted Image

Riegel2222

Posted 19 May 2011 - 06:59 PM

this should be the aether!!!

clone1018
    clone1018

Iron Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 291 posts
  • Minecraft: clone1018

Posted 19 May 2011 - 07:04 PM

You guys should really realize that notch did in fact do this first to Minecraft Indev (an early version). He has not discovered "this mod" or "that mod" and is in fact responding to the huge amount of people wanting indev map generation options back.

xmantoo00
  • Minecraft: xmantoo00

Posted 19 May 2011 - 07:19 PM

So, this is how Notch imagined the Aether? Looks good to me!

xmantoo00 said:

JohnNomor said:

HOLY CRAP THATS COOL LIKE DID U NO IF U PUT PORK IN STOVE IT COME OUT AS BROWN POOPOO?!!?!!
Yumm, I love my poopoo nice and warm.

Sedgie
    Sedgie

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Minecraft: Sedgie

Posted 19 May 2011 - 07:43 PM

It looks cool. but I wonder how it will be implemented in the game. Like how willyou get to the sky dimension, or is it going to be a seperate gametype to choose from

jsgnextortex

Posted 19 May 2011 - 07:51 PM

Maybe its not a &quot;Sky dimension&quot;....maybe its a map generation setting....<br />It would be awesome if we could select different types of worlds(Skylands,Underground,Islands,pits,etc) and change how the game reacts to the seed code.....

Scourgeclaw95
  • Minecraft: Scourgeclaw

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:33 PM

Can sombody show Notch the Aether collab? In all honesty, im kinda hoping to see that instead of what we see here, even if its just concept pictures :/ <br /><br />Heres the link if your one of the few people who roam a minecraft world who HAVENT seen the collab:<br /><br />http://www.minecraft...daichi-shockah/

Mocahante

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:43 PM

Everyone's complaining that it's &quot;not as good/just the same as the ______ mod&quot;, but I really don't think this is the final version. Likely, this is jut an demonstration of the terrain generator, and there is much more to come. I, personally, would like to see the Nether improved on. There really isn't much to go down there for, honestly. Just Netherrack and Glowstone. There really needs to be more of a reason to go down there. Magic materials? Spells? Question mark?<br />

Lethea
    Lethea

Carpenter

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:44 PM

I have to say this looks boring. &nbsp;Agree with some of the other comments that there should be new blocks, because as it stands right now it just looks like it would be a waste of time to even go up there to explore. Another thing not sure how happy I would be if all of a sudden a lava waterfall dripped on me from a floating island that I wasn't aware of.&nbsp;

dsohler
    dsohler

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 689 posts
  • Minecraft: dsohler

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:24 PM

The Aether without the coolness of the Aether mod.
Removing and copying back the program file
is not a solution for configuration problems.

Dragoncurse

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:34 PM

That kinda could the place where you build the portal, and get the access to the Aether.<br /><br />Kinda cool, actually.

Dr.Nick
    Dr.Nick

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:43 PM

I have to agree, I'd rather just see the mod go in instead.

azzanine
    azzanine

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1551 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:46 PM

Floating islands huh...<br />Opens a lot of possibilities for construction. Inter connected skyislands via glass tunnels and sky rail networks.