Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

MP Problems: Java.net:SocketException


  • Please log in to reply
301 replies to this topic

#1

AvengerUK

Posted 11 September 2010 - 02:34 PM

Since yesterdays update, ive started to get the "Java.net:SocketException software caused connection abort" (sometimes also socket write error) - I didnt have it before yesterdays update, and since, I cant stay in a server for more than 20seconds if i started creating or destroying blocks, If i do nothing, walk around - its fine.

Run out of things to try, we are sure its not our server thats causing it (10 or so people on there now happy as larry)

Any ideas?

Register or log in to remove.

#2

gsom3000
    gsom3000

    Tree Puncher

  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 02:39 PM

same shit bro. its stats when i start dig

#3

joysticktoaster

Posted 11 September 2010 - 02:49 PM

This happens to me after like 20 seconds on any server i join, c'mon people, help us out.

#4

Jstratter
  • Location: That place between rage and serenity

Posted 11 September 2010 - 03:09 PM

I have this error too. Only way to prevent it is to not edit anything. Notch needs to fix this really bad.

#5

Furkle
    Furkle

    Out of the Water

  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 03:24 PM

I have this exact issue myself, It's almost as if the client is incapable of sending data and only receiving. I can stay connected to a server almost indefinitely just walking around but as soon as I start mining out blocks the issue pops up. I'll get one or two blocks destroyed and then any after that will start popping back in.

While it's all happening I'll still be able to see people chatting and people moving around and modifying things, but I can't send to chat or do ANYTHING that would require sending data to the server. Eventually my client will disconnect and I'll get:
"Internal exception: java.net.SocketException: Connection reset by peer: socket write error"

At first I thought it was a driver issue with my ethernet controller so I grabbed updated ones from my motherboard manufacturers website, the problem went away for about 10 or 15 minutes and I was convinced it was solved and then it started doing the exact same thing all over again. It's listed as an Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 PCI-E Ethernet Controller under network adapters in device manager. I'm curious to see what devices other people with this issue have.

As has been stated before in this thread the game is pretty much unplayable in SMP with this issue present I'd love to see it get resolved.

Edit: Also I'm not sure if it's of any relevance but I'm running Windows 7 x64

#6

A_Useless_Gun

Posted 11 September 2010 - 04:17 PM

I'm getting exactly the same problem, just got minecraft today and its really getting on my nerves
Alpha club; one day it will mean more.

#7

AvengerUK

Posted 11 September 2010 - 04:36 PM

Furkle said:

It's listed as an Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 PCI-E Ethernet Controller under network adapters in device manager. I'm curious to see what devices other people with this issue have.

As has been stated before in this thread the game is pretty much unplayable in SMP with this issue present I'd love to see it get resolved.

Edit: Also I'm not sure if it's of any relevance but I'm running Windows 7 x64

I'm just checking out any driver updates now, plus searching for a spare NIC - see if that helps.

I have the same as you, Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 PCI-E Ethernet Controller  &  windows 7 x64

#8

Jstratter
  • Location: That place between rage and serenity

Posted 11 September 2010 - 04:45 PM

Yeah, as long as you don't edit any blocks you don't get this error. But It's really hard to play minecraft without editing anything!

#9

beelphegor

Posted 11 September 2010 - 04:45 PM

Realtek PCIe GBE family controller, and i get similar errors. I can break and build and pick up items, but the errors only occur when i do those things alot, in rapid succession. It is really bad, it makes it basicly unplayable. I can still get stuff done but it is so bad it just isn't worth it. At least the save position works though lol

#10

killermojo

Posted 11 September 2010 - 04:54 PM

Same problem here, though I can work for a while sometimes then it crops up and becomes unplayable. I run a server so I'm connecting over the lan; connecting over both the internal IP and the external IP have the problem. Running Atheros AR8121.

Other people on my server (connecting externally) have not seen the issue, or if they have it has happened once or twice as opposed to every minute or so.

#11

Jstratter
  • Location: That place between rage and serenity

Posted 11 September 2010 - 05:16 PM

beelphegor said:

Realtek PCIe GBE family controller, and i get similar errors. I can break and build and pick up items, but the errors only occur when i do those things alot, in rapid succession. It is really bad, it makes it basicly unplayable. I can still get stuff done but it is so bad it just isn't worth it. At least the save position works though lol
Exact same thing with me. I either have to edit stuff really slowly or just keep re-connecting.

#12

Furkle
    Furkle

    Out of the Water

  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 07:56 PM

AvengerUK said:

Furkle said:

It's listed as an Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 PCI-E Ethernet Controller under network adapters in device manager. I'm curious to see what devices other people with this issue have.

As has been stated before in this thread the game is pretty much unplayable in SMP with this issue present I'd love to see it get resolved.

Edit: Also I'm not sure if it's of any relevance but I'm running Windows 7 x64

I'm just checking out any driver updates now, plus searching for a spare NIC - see if that helps.

I have the same as you, Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 PCI-E Ethernet Controller  &  windows 7 x64

If you wind up finding one laying around and it fixes the issue give me a shout, I was so close to running out to the store and buying one just to see if it would solve the issue.

#13

Pluckerpluck

Posted 11 September 2010 - 09:11 PM

Same problem here but I have a Broadcom Extreme 57xx which latest update. However, I don't really use online servers but host one for my friends. Everyone who joins my server experiences the issue (as in, the 3 other people that play in it) I see the problem in the console and it looks like a read error (I think it says it can't find the thing it wants to read I can't remember). It's night time here atm but if I run the server tomorrow (depends on demand) I'll copy the error here. Unless someone else does it first.
Posted Image Posted Image

#14

sepha
    sepha

    Out of the Water

  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 09:53 PM

With my first post I get to be a minecraft hero woo!

The problem was indeed with my Atheros 81xx driver. If you have this NIC, you can aquire new drivers by going to their website here and selecting your operating system http://partner.ather...om/Drivers.aspx

#15

sepha
    sepha

    Out of the Water

  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 09:58 PM

I spoke too soon, I got a read time out error about 15 minutes in :SSSS:

#16

Ingwaz
    Ingwaz

    Tree Puncher

  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 09:59 PM

I also got this problem, I get kicked from the server whenever I try to edit blocks or crafting, just walking around is working to some extent. I can see what everyone else on the server is doing though.

I can post my computer specs if it helps

#17

killermojo

Posted 11 September 2010 - 10:22 PM

Updating my atheros driver has now totally killed the game. It throws the exception for everything I do now.

#18

sepha
    sepha

    Out of the Water

  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 10:59 PM

Switched to a belkin wireless adapter and still getting the problem :SSSS:

#19

killermojo

Posted 11 September 2010 - 11:02 PM

Is this forum the best way to raise this issue? I think notch needs to know about it :SSSS:

#20

cjhatesu
    cjhatesu

    Tree Puncher

  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 11:17 PM

Furkle said:

Edit: Also I'm not sure if it's of any relevance but I'm running Windows 7 x64
I have been thinking this is an x64 issue since my friends running x86 are totally fine. They also are running nearly the same onboard NIC as me and I've tried so many things to fix this on my side.

I've reinstalled java, gave myself a static ip on my local network, turned on DMZ for my computer, forwarded ports, ran as administrator, tried different compatibility modes. Really seems like destruction of terrain is what kills my connection the quickest, but sometimes I can build for 5-10 minutes before getting the error. As said before when it happens you don't really no until blocks you destroyed start reappearing or placed start disappearing and you can not send out messages eventually it gives you the socket error.

My Specs:
X4 955 Black Edition
ASUS M4A78T-E
4GB DDR3 1066
NVIDIA GTX 275
Windows 7 X64

killermojo said:

Is this forum the best way to raise this issue? I think notch needs to know about it :Water:
Well I'd hope either him or a moderator would check the Support forum hah. I don't think it's just here to give us a false sense of security.