• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Step-by-Step: Pagoda

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

sedentarygecko

Posted 08 May 2011 - 07:38 PM

As part of a continuing series, I am creating step-by-step instructions for building structures in minecraft.

I have a personal aesthetic preference for the simplicity of architecture from the Pacific Rim. I came across
wiredrawn's China House and wanted to build a replica. I took this opportunity to create an instructional build.

First, the items you will need for this build (very wood heavy):
Posted Image

The build that wiredrawn posted was on stilts 4 or 5 logs high. I lay out the grid of supports here. Customize to taste.
Posted Image

The first floor made of plank.
Posted Image

Gravel is used in place of fences when stacked fences are the goal.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Planks cap the inner stack. The gravel is replaced by fences, with the top layer of gravel first, followed by the next highest layer, etc.
Posted Image

A smooth half step roof is added, and a plank floor for the next level of the inner stack is laid.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

A change in the perspective of the screenshots to accommodate the size of the build.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Use half-height plank for the 3rd level floor.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Place the fences. The roof here caps the build, and proceeds in half-steps up to the peak.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

A version of wiredrawn's stairs.
Posted Image

By removing some floor planks, I placed ladders climbing up the center log on the foreground face of this image.
Posted Image
I have a collection of Step-by-Step builds on the forums.

I'm also curating an archive of great builds.

I support the wheel and OceanCraft

Register or log in to remove.

TheSoupBoy

Posted 08 May 2011 - 07:45 PM

Back in time i LOVED lego ..
Your guides kinda reminds me of it :D
if you think im a noob ...
Then you're right.

Woutman
    Woutman

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 08:03 PM

TheSoupBoy said:

Your guides kinda reminds me of it :)

Now that you mention it...

I really like these step-by-steps. Shows that buildings in Minecraft don't have to be huge or complex to be pretty.

IVIinecraft x
  • Minecraft: IVIinecraftx

Posted 08 May 2011 - 08:04 PM

Nice Tutorial  :Diamond:
But My Pagoda's Bigger :Diamond: !
You Can Download The Schematic For It: http://www.mcschemat...hp?topic=1772.0
All Made By Me  :Diamond: .
Posted Image Heads 'N' Shades - The Cool Guys Clan
Posted Image
I Support: viewtopic.php?f=1041&t=319964

BasiltheBatlord

Posted 08 May 2011 - 09:15 PM

YESH! THE NEXT STEP BY STEP IS OUT! WOO HOO! My world has every step bye step project! This is perfect for my next road! (each of my step by steps are led to from my crossroads.)

Posted Image

sedentarygecko

Posted 09 May 2011 - 02:34 PM

TheSoupBoy said:

Your guides kinda reminds me of it :tnt:

Thanks! That's exactly what I'm going for. It occurred to me recently how truly great Lego is at teaching 5 year olds to build in 3D using 2D images and no words. I'm glad I'm evoking that idea in you!

Woutman said:

Now that you mention it...

I really like these step-by-steps. Shows that buildings in Minecraft don't have to be huge or complex to be pretty.

Thanks! I agree.

BasiltheBatlord said:

YESH! THE NEXT STEP BY STEP IS OUT! WOO HOO! My world has every step bye step project! This is perfect for my next road! (each of my step by steps are led to from my crossroads.)

I'm glad you are enjoying them. I'd like to see how you've laid out your world with the builds.

Damastius
  • Minecraft: Damastius

Posted 09 May 2011 - 05:07 PM

Great! You could do some more!  :GoldBar:
Posted Image

Githerax
    Githerax

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1902 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 05:11 PM

Nice use of different styles there, keeps Minecraft fresh.
Block-busting builder!

truffles
    truffles

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 05:54 AM

Just finished building this! (built your warehouse yesterday and am definitely a fan haha.)

I like how you keep every thing aesthetically pleasing and work with the environment as well

My only complaint is that I would use this for a home, but the 3rd level is 1/2 steps so i cant place anything up there, so im going to have to modify it one day...  :SSSS:

:Diamond: For your work
:DBlock: To keep it up

Cheers,
-Truffs

sedentarygecko

Posted 14 May 2011 - 02:08 PM

truffles said:

Just finished building this! (built your warehouse yesterday and am definitely a fan haha.)

I like how you keep every thing aesthetically pleasing and work with the environment as well

My only complaint is that I would use this for a home, but the 3rd level is 1/2 steps so i cant place anything up there, so im going to have to modify it one day...  :SSSS:

:Diamond: For your work
:DBlock: To keep it up

Cheers,
-Truffs

Thanks for your praise!

For the third floor, you could always put regular planks under the half-height plank, then remove the half-height to place items like a bed or crafting bench. The items you place would appear partially embedded in the floor, but this can be a quite visually pleasing design.

TheLegoPanda
    TheLegoPanda

The Meaning of Life, the Universe, and Everything...

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 07:42 AM

Can I just have the schematic please? I'm terrible at following instructions, or the world save?
Legitimately mined alot of diamonds ^_^
Posted Image

Daynabast

Posted 15 May 2011 - 12:42 PM

Very nice, A+++++! :Sheep:

It makes making a pagoda look so simple and easy, but if you hadn't seen this tutorial for it, then you would think it could've taken hours to make.
Posted Image

NoobPwner

Posted 15 May 2011 - 02:13 PM

Very nice :tnt:  :Skeleton:  :Spider:  :Zombie:  I am definetly gonna build this in my world :SSSS:
All my sigs are too high-def. fml...

Professional griefer, TNT-blower-upper, sig-maker. Unproffesional grammar nazi...

sedentarygecko

Posted 15 May 2011 - 06:09 PM

TheLegoPanda said:

Can I just have the schematic please? I'm terrible at following instructions, or the world save?

I don't know how to make schematics, or how one would use them. Could you give me or point me to a tutorial?

Daynabast said:

Very nice, A+++++! :iapprove:

It makes making a pagoda look so simple and easy, but if you hadn't seen this tutorial for it, then you would think it could've taken hours to make.

I'm glad you feel that way. That's my goal: to make big builds seem easy (because they are) and to help foster in (esp. new players) the sense that you can accomplish big things (because you can).

NoobPwner said:

Very nice :iapprove:  :P  :Diamond:  :Diamond:  I am definetly gonna build this in my world :Iron:

The roofs make the upper floors spider-proof (I believe), and there is plenty of room to make this a base for a large mine or crafting project.

TheLegoPanda
    TheLegoPanda

The Meaning of Life, the Universe, and Everything...

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 08:08 PM

Sorry for the late reply, if you can just upload the world save you created this on, I will provide you with a schematic, this would be much easier than explaining it. Also, KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK! I especially like the Adobe house which you did recently.
Legitimately mined alot of diamonds ^_^
Posted Image

theminecraftaddict
  • Minecraft: johnnyizcool

Posted 12 July 2011 - 11:50 PM

lol if you scroll down really fast its like a video
Posted Image

Spectraldemise

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:25 PM

Dimensions would be nice? but overall nice guide