Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Laptop to play minecraft.


  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1

FearMyLightning

Posted 07 May 2011 - 09:57 PM

Hey guys, I know there have been a ton of these threads today, but I need help.  So, we're going on vacation in July, and I start working on our farm when school gets out on the 20th.  Anyways, we're going to drive from Kansas to Georgia to go to the Atlantic? ocean.  And this trip is going to take over a day.  I have like 9 siblings and I really don't want to sit in the car and listen to music w/ headphones on the whole time.  Since Minecraft is such a timewaster, I figured it would make this trip real short if I play Minecraft and listen to music half the trip, and drive some the other half.

     So, I want to buy a laptop that can play Mincraft at atleast 30 fps (it can drop to like ~25 at times, but I don't want it lagging up everytime something happens.) while listening to music.  And it would be preferred that the battery can last more than an hour, although I'll probably have it plugged in alot of the time.  I can probably save up $500-$1000 before we go on the trip in July (either like the 2nd or the 10th or the 20th I can't remember).  It doesn't have to be brand new either, I am fine with a refurbished laptop.

I might sell it when the trip's over so I can buy a Peavey Valveking half-stack.

tl;dr Need laptop for vacation >29 FPS avg. $500-$1000 by July 20th

Register or log in to remove.

#2

jimmybrite
  • Location: Québec, Canada

Posted 07 May 2011 - 10:08 PM

FearMyLightning said:

Hey guys, I know there have been a ton of these threads today, but I need help.  So, we're going on vacation in July, and I start working on our farm when school gets out on the 20th.  Anyways, we're going to drive from Kansas to Georgia to go to the Atlantic? ocean.  And this trip is going to take over a day.  I have like 9 siblings and I really don't want to sit in the car and listen to music w/ headphones on the whole time.  Since Minecraft is such a timewaster, I figured it would make this trip real short if I play Minecraft and listen to music half the trip, and drive some the other half.

     So, I want to buy a laptop that can play Mincraft at atleast 30 fps (it can drop to like ~25 at times, but I don't want it lagging up everytime something happens.) while listening to music.  And it would be preferred that the battery can last more than an hour, although I'll probably have it plugged in alot of the time.  I can probably save up $500-$1000 before we go on the trip in July (either like the 2nd or the 10th or the 20th I can't remember).  It doesn't have to be brand new either, I am fine with a refurbished laptop.

I might sell it when the trip's over so I can buy a Peavey Valveking half-stack.
tl;dr Need laptop for vacation >29 FPS avg. $500-$1000 by July 20th
Don't just ask here, you should really go try it in stores, but obviously look at something with a decent GPU, try not to get level entry IGP equipped laptops, if you can, get it with a dedicated gpu.

#3

Anabelle
  • Location: The 30th most populous US state and 1st most boring
  • Minecraft: idr

Posted 07 May 2011 - 10:17 PM

You can find a laptop that is very cheap and not completely broken down on ebay or such

Brutwarst said:

Disierd2 said:

Literally just found some, what does it do??

It's nice that you used the word "literally" because if you hadn't done that, I would have thought that you figuratively found some. Thank you for making that clear.

#4

lokozff
    lokozff

    Tree Puncher

  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 10:20 PM

I'd look at Lenovo's thinkpads. Their L520 has a quad core processor and is only like 760
Posted Image Posted Image     Posted Image     Posted Image     Posted Image

#5

jimmybrite
  • Location: Québec, Canada

Posted 07 May 2011 - 10:24 PM

lokozff said:

I'd look at Lenovo's thinkpads. Their L520 has a quad core processor and is only like 760
I agree, but whatever you do, do not buy acer. I had an Aspire 5674, and let's just say that it didn't last long.

#6

Steves
    Steves

    Void Walker

  • Members
  • 1720 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 10:25 PM

Tip 1: a decent amount of ram (3gb min)
Tip 2: any decent gfx card. (meaning avoid anything with 'Integrated Graphics')
Tip 3: dual or quad core cpu of 2.6ghz or above

#7

FearMyLightning

Posted 07 May 2011 - 10:37 PM

This http://www.tigerdire...1953&CatId=4938
is what I was thinking about.  4GB of RAM, Core i7 740QM, Separate graphics card, Windows 7, 720p, and a 500 GB drive.  Has anyone had any bad experiences w/ ASUS?

Also:  was thinking about an Alienware M11x, but can't afford it.  (Don't bash, find me an 11 inch gaming laptop like that.)

#8

mrmagos
    mrmagos

    Stone Miner

  • Members
  • 75 posts
  • Minecraft: mrmagos

Posted 08 May 2011 - 02:16 AM

I have an HP Pavilion dm1z. It is inexpensive and has very good battery life. Don't be fooled by its specs, it can run Minecraft just fine.
Never start vast projects with half-vast ideas.

#9

hoosiercub
  • Minecraft: hoosiercub

Posted 08 May 2011 - 03:42 AM

If you're looking for small with punch and battery life, without spending $2-3k on some insane gaming rig, go look at the Alienware M11x.. my older Core2Duo model plays Minecraft on full settings at 60-80fps.. the newer Intel Core series processor powered ones I imagine will do even better. 1GB of dedicated GDDR3 or 5 can't remember, anywho, its a 1gig video card, in addition to the integrated which allows up to 8 hours of battery life, or 2-3 on the 1GB.. get a power inverter too so you can just plug it in and enjoy.
What do cave noises mean?
Nothing. They're just there to scare the shit out of you.

swampyrules said:

If this is a hut, I would hate to see what a house is.

#10

Steelfirez

Posted 08 May 2011 - 03:44 AM

why quad-core or dual-core? Can't minecraft only run on one core?

#11

FearMyLightning

Posted 11 May 2011 - 12:39 AM

I seriously looked at the M11x after thinking about getting one last summer.  But if I were to get one I would probably get the best processor and 8 gigs of RAM which brings it up to around 1500 with tax.  A core i5 at 1.4 or whatever Ghz is probably alot different than a core i7 at 2.whatever Ghz it's at.  I don't need it for vacation and could probably buy it afterwards though.  But 1000 is also what a Peavey Valveking halfstack costs and I really want one of those too.

#12

sirrockyqo
  • Location: 1969 - Jungles of Vietnam
  • Minecraft: Sirrockyqo
  • Xbox:Sirrockyqo

Posted 11 May 2011 - 12:52 AM

I dont think you want my computer, NO slash or questionmark D: D: D: D:

#13

Zeugmatic

Posted 11 May 2011 - 01:01 AM

I'm sorry to bring this to you, but according to google maps, the trip will take 22 hours. You could try something like http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B00144KS6W to charge it, and then get a nice computer.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834115990
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834115986
These are two nice computers, for sub $700. They'll run minecraft just fine. I'm not sure, but they might run minecraft around 80 fps. But make sure you get the adaptor.

#14

BreeTree:3
  • Location: Vancouver
  • Minecraft: BlueMockingjay

Posted 11 May 2011 - 01:04 AM

sirrockyqo said:

I dont think you want my computer, NO slash or questionmark D: D: D: D:

How do you SURVIVE!?

Posted Image


#15

ludicer
    ludicer

    Carpenter

  • Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 01:15 AM

FearMyLightning said:

This http://www.tigerdire...1953&CatId=4938
is what I was thinking about.  4GB of RAM, Core i7 740QM, Separate graphics card, Windows 7, 720p, and a 500 GB drive.  Has anyone had any bad experiences w/ ASUS?

Also:  was thinking about an Alienware M11x, but can't afford it.  (Don't bash, find me an 11 inch gaming laptop like that.)
that looks like a good laptop. It has similar specs to mine and I can play on far and fancy ,smooth lighting at 40fps+ good buy I say!
I like turtles and hate iceland.

#16

FearMyLightning

Posted 11 May 2011 - 01:25 AM

Zeugmatic said:

I'm sorry to bring this to you, but according to google maps, the trip will take 22 hours. You could try something like http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B00144KS6W to charge it, and then get a nice computer.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834115990
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834115986
These are two nice computers, for sub $700. They'll run minecraft just fine. I'm not sure, but they might run minecraft around 80 fps. But make sure you get the adaptor.

Those are great computers, and they'd be just fine.  I'm not really concerned with the exact time of the trip, I just know it's going to take quite a long time, and you don't even know from where exactly we're leaving and where exactly we're headed.  As for the power inverter, I can probably find something or work something out.  I'm just going to see how much money I can save up before I actually buy anything.  For all I know a killer deal could come up right on time and I could get something really cheap.

Also, choose the core i5 model and add on a core i7 and better graphics card and you can save 100 dollars from the core i7 version with the same specs.