• IP Based Ranks
  • Ranks (guest, builder, op, admin)
  • Kits with Rank Permissions
  • Bans by Name, IP Address, and IP Ranges
  • Kicking
  • Give Item command based on Rank
  • Whitelist
  • MOTD/Rules
  • Anti-Grief Block Firewall (List of blocks that are not able to be placed by a certain rank of user)
  • Lightweight and low footprint
  • Improved chat system
  • Custom authentication
  • Waypoint based teleporting
  • Area based permissions
  • Telnet server
Support and suggestions:
If you are sure to have found a bug and can provide proof or if you have a suggestion please use our issue tracker.
Before posting any problems please read the FAQ.
If you want instant feedback or support try our new IRC channel at irc.euirc.net#SimpleServer (mibbit)

Updates:
Updates will be announced in this thread and on twitter.

Support SimpleServer:
Add one of our banners to your signature
Spoiler:

Register or log in to remove.

Chase817
    Chase817

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • Minecraft: Chase817

Posted 07 May 2011 - 06:47 PM

Thank you SO MUCH for starting clean with a new thread. Also, thanks for keeping this neglected wrapper up to date :iapprove:

I need help with bukkit though. I have it running in SS, but I can't use any plugin commands. Such as /weather, I add permission for the command in permissions.xml, but SS acts as if the command doesn't exist.
Chase817's Server - mc.chase817.com - Link to thread here!
Posted Image

sadimusi

Posted 07 May 2011 - 07:43 PM

I already found and fixed a bug in the permission and command forwarding system. The new version is 8.0.2

Chase817
    Chase817

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 10:45 PM

Awesome, thanks. Everything now works except for the bukkit commands showing up in /help. Is there a way that you can make manually-added commands to show up in the specified group's /help list?
Posted Image

sadimusi

Posted 07 May 2011 - 11:13 PM

Chase817 said:

Is there a way that you can make manually-added commands to show up in the specified group's /help list?

Not yet, I'll try to add this tomorrow. I think it would also be useful to be able to specify whether commands which arn't defined in permissions.xml should be allowed for a specific group.

The PC Tech Guy

Posted 08 May 2011 - 04:21 AM

Nice, I remember that I was looking for something that could protect areas when I started to look for stuff. I thought that's what SimpleServer meant with a "blocklist." Now that I'm too familiar with WorldGuard... well, it's simple user-based protection, which I guess I could use as a feature for those in the survival side of my world.

XML files. Yay. Well, I guess I have to get used to them. If an xml file means less txt files... well I think that's a good thing, then (I haven't tried it yet).

I'm also used to the Permissions plugin... :Bacon: Well, these are only bonuses. Did you decide to drop the customauth feature? Or is it still planned...

I was trying RCON out today - but it failed horribly. It would detect a connection, but when I type something, it would print numbers... Hopefully the Telnet client will be more successful.

Did you really fix the Bukkit console incompatibility problem? Well, we still need to use the unsupport terminal command line. But at least you got rid of the spacing it caused.

Update: The XML files took not too long to learn, thanks to the examples via the converted files. It also looks like unknown commands are passed to the mod, which is good for what I have. (Or maybe something due to useSMPAPI?) I couldn't get colors with the helptext.txt, and it looks like custom help commands aren't available (yet). But I think I'll stick with MCDocs (a Bukkit plugin), since I know what I'm doing with that. If you want to add this feature, I'm not stopping you, but I would think that those who use a mod usually have a plugin that displays some sort of help menu (Like "Help") or have a document program for that purpose... Otherwise, the features are overwhelming, but great! (Well, you are going a little too fast ^_^

Shelovers

Posted 08 May 2011 - 05:18 AM

Hey! How I make a character admin?

iBotPeaches

Posted 08 May 2011 - 05:42 AM

Shelovers said:

Hey! How I make a character admin?

!setgroup PLAYERNAME IDOFADMIN (usually ID 4).

I was going to say look at the TXT files, but it looks as if they are now stored in a xml file. I will post back when I learn if there is a non-manual way to editing them.
Posted Image

Chase817
    Chase817

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 05:48 AM

Is there a reason for that ugly text wrap in chat while using Bukkit?
Posted Image

apirogov
    apirogov

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 09:15 AM

RCON does not work and did not really work ever in the past... this is a known issue, but not a priority..

The telnet client should work, but be warned that you can't see the results of your commands on the telnet interface.. but this MIGHT come in the future (would require to change A LOT)
----
To make yourself admin, add

within the section of the permissions.xml.
Note that 5 is the default admin group if you have a DEFAULT config, if you converted from the old SimpleServer version, the admin/owner group shall be 4..

After you yourself are admin, you can make other players admin with !setgroup, as iBotPeaches already pointed out..
----
There is currently no way to edit the XML file in an other way as manually, but it is not tooo complex.. If someone would create a graphical permissions and/or area editor (for areas this would be most useful I think!), it would be awesome! But be warned that it might get more and more features over time... I chose XML just because of this - it is very extensible while being still maintainable by humans (if designed well)...
In our wiki is a guide to permissions.xml that should make everything more or less clear...
---
You can disable message wrapping for player chat messages by setting msgWrap=false in the simpleserver.properties file.

D0L4
    D0L4

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 78 posts
  • Minecraft: D0L4

Posted 08 May 2011 - 11:31 AM

The PC Tech Guy said:

Did you decide to drop the customauth feature? Or is it still planned...

It's still planned and currently in developpment. The release should be with 8.1, hope you can wait until then... :)

You may see planned features and reported bugs on github.

EDIT:

Chase817 said:

Is there a reason for that ugly text wrap in chat while using Bukkit?
This is most likely caused by a different wrapping of messages by SimpleServer and Bukkit. (so they wrap twice...)
You should be able to easily adjust this by setting the msgWrap option in simpleserver.properties to false.
Posted Image

Shelovers

Posted 08 May 2011 - 01:33 PM

sadimusi

Posted 08 May 2011 - 01:40 PM

Shelovers said:

should be

apirogov
    apirogov

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 01:41 PM

SimpleServer 8.0.4 released
* better handling of permissions.xml files with errors (prevents overwriting with an empty or broken file),
* nickname case insensitive,
* no user relogin required, if his group changes in permission.xml and is loaded with /reload

CMz
    CMz

Carpenter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  • Minecraft: CMz

Posted 08 May 2011 - 06:00 PM

@Sadimusi - Shout out for updating & extending SSW.  U r investing a lot of time; r u set up to accept donations to support your efforts from appreciative users?   :(
So long, and thanks for all the fish...

apophis3d

Posted 08 May 2011 - 06:37 PM

I keep getting the error

Posted Image

apirogov
    apirogov

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 07:29 PM

apophis3d said:

I keep getting the error

This error can come because of 2 reasons: Either there is already a real Server running on that port, or there is some "ghost" process still blocking it from a server you think you shut down (but it did not really)...

look in the taskmanager whether there is some java process there should not be and kill it.. or, as the last means, reboot...

Covarr
    Covarr

Carpenter

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 07:56 PM

sadimusi said:

slothy89 said:

He's talking about the Windows Command Prompt window that open when you run SimpleServer.

And as far as I am aware, this is a bug with the wrapper at this time. Not sure if they are working to fix it.

I'm not using Windows, therefore I can't verify or fix it.
I can't help with fixing it, but I can definitely verify it, at least on Win7 x64.

edit: More specifically, it does not show user input until enter is pressed.

slothy89
    slothy89

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 517 posts
  • Minecraft: slothy89

Posted 09 May 2011 - 02:59 AM

Covarr said:

sadimusi said:

slothy89 said:

He's talking about the Windows Command Prompt window that open when you run SimpleServer.

And as far as I am aware, this is a bug with the wrapper at this time. Not sure if they are working to fix it.

I'm not using Windows, therefore I can't verify or fix it.
I can't help with fixing it, but I can definitely verify it, at least on Win7 x64.

edit: More specifically, it does not show user input until enter is pressed.
Sorry for quote chain, but yes, it is a definite thing in Windows.

Personally it doesn't bother me, as most changes I make, I make directly into the config files (v7.something atm) or in game via the /rcon command.

Only time it becomes a problem is when entering a /say command from the server commandline and you cant see what your writing. Do you experience this on your system Sadimusi? Or does the commandline show what you type as you type it?

I have a feeling it is the way which the wrapper hides the commands from the vanilla server that is effecting windows' ability to display the input

Supports: ** TobiwanK3nobi's Inspiration 32x Texture Pack **
Posted Image

madkills10

Posted 09 May 2011 - 12:06 PM

Dude this is awesome i havent had time to look through the whole thing yet but could i make it like group "0" could only place or destroy dirt and like only "4"+ could place brick because that would be cool and could u do that with items? thanks. :) X1000000000000000000(alot)
my server ip is 10.0.0.150