Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

[Solution to remix packs]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1254 replies to this topic

Gestankfaust
  • Minecraft: Gestankfaust

Posted 28 August 2011 - 03:33 AM

Yeah...at the beginning, I didn't want (or don't remember wanting :P) a sub-forum for remixes. But seriously...now? It becomes a shame to see first run pack/projects get buried by so many rehashes of the same packs.

Posted Image
"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to...."

Register or log in to remove.

Stefenatefun
  • Minecraft: stefenatefun

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:42 PM

Remix packs should be both in their own section, and have [Remix] at the beginning of the thread title. I honestly hate it when I get texture packs that are just a different texture pack, just recoloured.

chalarie

Posted 02 September 2011 - 07:02 AM

Being a texture artist, i can see from the viewpoints of many other texturepackers- you spend way too much time perfecting this art for someone to take it, change a pixel, and call it their own. But at the same time i come from the sadly infamous Xaiwaker texturepack, where we were taken down for using many of Frendens textures. While we have now changed everything, there is no way for Xaiwaker to have started if we hadn't started with a remix. I think we should allow remixes BUT with some very strict rules.

1. Pack must have a [REMIX] tag and be in its own subcategory
2. Must credit the author directly with a link to their page, and list of what textures are still there's.
3. It is forbidden to use any forms of making money off of the pack by any means be it adf.ly or some other source until given permission by an admin and moved out of the remixes category.

Honestly, while right now i can agree that remixes are a problem, i also think that if it wasn't for them we wouldn't have half of the original packs out there today. Up and coming texture artists should be able to start out with a basis, while crediting the original author, and release it to the public for some critisizm and help with the process of creating the pack.
Posted Image

doku
    doku

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 06:28 PM

It's a shame this poll has amounted to nothing :).
Posted Image

Lilyo
    Lilyo

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4033 posts
  • Minecraft: Lilyo

Posted 02 September 2011 - 07:25 PM

View Postdoku, on 02 September 2011 - 06:28 PM, said:

Yeah except we now have mods in this section who actually lock threads that break the rule unlike before...
Posted Image

JonnyBGood44

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:05 PM

Dear Creator of Dokucraft,

Ya know i would kinda agree with you, but ppl are still gonna make them and i found I thread that both you and the community could agree on: (WIP) Dokucraft, The Saga Continues. (32x) it puts all the doku texturepacks, doku remixes, and texture packs made to look like dokucraft in a cuztomizer where you can make your own TexturePack, kinda like the PainterlyPack customizer

Here to Help,
        JonnyBGood44
Hai dere sur :3

Necromanic

Posted 04 September 2011 - 10:17 PM

View Postdoku, on 02 September 2011 - 06:28 PM, said:

Its never to late to make a decision.. Maybe the admins is going to implement a remix section in the future.. who knows? ;)
Posted Image

lordofsax
    lordofsax

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1100 posts
  • Minecraft: lordofsax
  • Xbox:lordofsax

Posted 05 September 2011 - 03:51 PM

View PostJonnyBGood44, on 02 September 2011 - 10:05 PM, said:

Dear Creator of Dokucraft,

Ya know i would kinda agree with you, but ppl are still gonna make them and i found I thread that both you and the community could agree on: (WIP) Dokucraft, The Saga Continues. (32x) it puts all the doku texturepacks, doku remixes, and texture packs made to look like dokucraft in a cuztomizer where you can make your own TexturePack, kinda like the PainterlyPack customizer

Here to Help,
        JonnyBGood44

It's not really like that, community members offer textures based on doku's style so anyone wanting dokucraft doesn't need to worry about looking for or making remixes. It helps prevent the front page being spammed with dokucraft remixes. No textures have been taking from any other pack, it is either dokucraft or original.

I Need You
To give me an opinion on thisPosted Image

Pibblesworth

Posted 05 September 2011 - 09:52 PM

It is a shame.

I try to work on my own pack but when I come here and see all the stealing going on and ZERO moderation. It completely drains me of any desire to continue working on it.

Who ever runs this place is obviously not going to do jack squat about it so the solution is clear...

Wait for a fan run site to start up and host mods and textures there. Something like what TESNEXUS is for TES: Oblivion. Stealing and other crap are most definitely not tolerated at all there. Those mods are strict.

Until then, I'd recommend no one working on a texture pack upload it here unless you're ready for people to steal your work, take full credit for it, and even try to make money off it. Not giving credit is the same as taking full credit in my mind. Putting copyright info in your post won't make a bit of difference either.

Darkaine

Posted 06 September 2011 - 12:50 AM

I agree with almost all of those points. My first choice would be to disallow to prevent spam but that likely won't happen so realistically A+B and only with original artist permission.
Posted Image

Gestankfaust

Posted 06 September 2011 - 12:59 AM

View PostPibblesworth, on 05 September 2011 - 09:52 PM, said:

It is a shame.

I try to work on my own pack but when I come here and see all the stealing going on and ZERO moderation. It completely drains me of any desire to continue working on it.

Who ever runs this place is obviously not going to do jack squat about it so the solution is clear...

Wait for a fan run site to start up and host mods and textures there. Something like what TESNEXUS is for TES: Oblivion. Stealing and other crap are most definitely not tolerated at all there. Those mods are strict.

Until then, I'd recommend no one working on a texture pack upload it here unless you're ready for people to steal your work, take full credit for it, and even try to make money off it. Not giving credit is the same as taking full credit in my mind. Putting copyright info in your post won't make a bit of difference either.

srlsy?

:rolleyes:

Posted Image

Lilyo
    Lilyo

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4033 posts
  • Minecraft: Lilyo

Posted 06 September 2011 - 03:08 AM

Some of you people are really blowing this out of proportion. Ive been pretty fucking active for the past few days and i havent seen more than 2 actual remix threads which pretty much died out really quick either way. You'd have to be trying really hard to spot remix packs if you say they're littering the forum.

To be honest i feel this sticky is really not necesary anymore and the formating sticky should instead be cleaned up, reformated, and updated.
Posted Image

Grugsy
    Grugsy

Glowstone Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 3180 posts
  • Minecraft: Grugsy
  • Xbox:Grugsy

Posted 10 September 2011 - 01:27 AM

the horse... it's been beaten to death, resurrected, and beaten to death again....many times over now.. just kill this thread already.

/prods faust
Posted Image

Chafrador
  • Minecraft: chafrador

Posted 10 September 2011 - 06:24 PM

I said B+C because sometimes it can be a great remix of a pack. But it has to be in a special thread and be clearly specified that the the poster is not the author of the majority of the texture pack.
DOWNLOAD MY TEXTURE PACK! : Posted Image

Gestankfaust

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:16 AM

Hi all!

This thread has run it's course, due to the new discussion for potential changes.

You can bring this discussion to the new thread in modding discussion, or directly to Beltir if you wish, and he'll look into this as well.

Thanks,

Gestankfaust

Posted Image