• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

Xynthymr
    Xynthymr

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 03:02 AM

NOTE: It has come to my attention that there is already an existing mod out there which features Pipes, Drains, and Valves, but I have yet to come across it, therefore I cannot comment on how it performs nor what the recipes are for such items

----- ----- ----- ----- -----

It would be nice if Notch / Mojang could officially add these things to the game for purpose of Water / Lava transportation without the need of creating canals.

I don't want to over-complicate things, so I would strictly limit the Pipe system to just two kinds of Pipe plus a Valve and Drain. Wood or Iron can be used for Water transportation, however, only Iron Pipework can be used for Lava (Unfortunately, Iron Sticks are currently unavailable, so this is perhaps the only drawback in my design). Valves & Drains would be made only from Iron (excepting the Sticks for the Drain grill)

PIPES

Pipes could come in two kinds:

FULL PIPE - A covered square or rounded pipe, made from Wood or Iron:

:wood: :wood: :wood:
:wood: :SSSS: :wood:

:Iron: :Iron: :Iron:  
:Iron: :Pig: :Iron:

:Iron: :Lava: :Iron:

* Where the Water / Lava would perhaps be a Bucket Of Water / Lava, which would obviously require a few more pieces of Iron

HALF PIPE - Similar to the above, but open so you can see the flow of Water / Lava:

[] [] []
:wood: :Water: :wood:

[] [] []
:Iron: :Water: :Iron:

[] [] []

* As with the above, the Water / Lava represents a Bucket Of Water / Lava, which would obviously require a few more pieces of Iron

VALVES & DRAINS

Valves and Drains would be used to control the water without the need for gravity

VALVES - Valves would be used to suck water from one source (Ie, the sea) to another (such as an empty pool):

[] :wood: []
:Iron: :Water: :Iron:

[] :wood: []

* The Water / Lava represents a Bucket Of Water / Lava
* Wood represents the Valve handle

Alternatively, a Redstone powered Switch of some description could also be used to operate Valves. Valves could be triggered by either a close proximity Switch or Pressure Plate, or could be controled remotely from a distance using Redstone

DRAINS - Drains would be used to remove Water / Lava from a selected area to another area connected via a Pipe :

[] [] []
:|: :|: :|:
:Iron: [] :Iron:

* The Water / Lava represents a Bucket Of Water / Lava
* Sticks represent the Drain grill
* A Drain will not remove a substance unless it is connected to the end of a Pipe - As in the real world, the Water / Lava has to flow somewhere!

As with the above Valves, a Redstone powered Switch of some description could also be used to operate Drains. Drains could be triggered by either a close proximity Switch or Pressure Plate, or could be controled remotely from a distance using Redstone

As mentioned earlier on, the only drawback is the recipe for the Drain, where Iron Sticks do not exist. Obviously Lava would burn through Wood Sticks, but I am open to suggestions on how else to craft a Drain ;)

ADDENDUM

I considered the addition of a buoyancy detector block which could be used to detect the maximum Water level and automatically Drain it if it gets too high, but I thought this to be too complicated. Benefits of such a system though would include making perpetual fountains or waterfalls, or fashioning some kind of crude Water elevator

I also considered making the Half Pipes into the Water equivalent of Mine Carts, so people could make Water slides, but I wasn't sure whether that would be too difficult to code successfully?

Let me know what you think, or post below if you have any other constructive uses or additions to this system

Register or log in to remove.