• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

DANNAI
    DANNAI

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 02:30 AM

I've seen a few videos of mob grinders that somehow make it so spiders do not spawn. In these videos they don't show the inside of the dark room so I have no way of knowing how they carry out this act of wizardry. Could anybody tell me how to make it so my dark room doesn't spawn spiders.
Well, I guess I need to put something original here...

Register or log in to remove.

pianiseemo
  • Minecraft: pianiseemo

Posted 06 May 2011 - 02:32 AM

Not completely sure. I suppose you could make it so that any platform with monsters spawning on it is in a checkerboard form, so only 1 block wide creatures can spawn (spiders are 2x2). However, not sure why you'd want to do this- spiders die just like any other mob in mob traps, at least in my experience- the wall climbing doesn't matter much.

DANNAI
    DANNAI

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 02:34 AM

pianiseemo said:

Not completely sure. I suppose you could make it so that any platform with monsters spawning on it is in a checkerboard form, so only 1 block wide creatures can spawn (spiders are 2x2). However, not sure why you'd want to do this- spiders die just like any other mob in mob traps, at least in my experience- the wall climbing doesn't matter much.

Yeah, in my first mob trap I managed to make a killing system for spiders, it's just that I don't have a use for string.

Nikerym
    Nikerym

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 02:45 AM

turn all excess string into wool

DANNAI
    DANNAI

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 02:49 AM

Nikerym said:

turn all excess string into wool

I suppose...

But still, if anyone knows how to do this, it would be a great little tidbit to know.

Jighello
    Jighello

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Minecraft: Jighello

Posted 14 May 2011 - 04:47 AM

The spawning algorithm looks for an open 3x3 space for Spiders to spawn, so by placing half steps accordingly there is no room for them to do so.

Example of a simple 6x6 spawning pad that doesn't allow Spiders to spawn:

:P  :P  :P  :Diamond:  :Diamond:  :Diamond:
:Diamond:  :_:  :Diamond:  :Diamond:  :_:  :Diamond:
:SSSS:  :P  :cobblestone:  :cobblestone:  :cobblestone:  :cobblestone:
:cobblestone:  :cobblestone:  :cobblestone:  :cobblestone:  :cobblestone:  :cobblestone:
:cobblestone:  :_:  :cobblestone:  :cobblestone:  :_:  :cobblestone:
:cobblestone:  :cobblestone:  :cobblestone:  :cobblestone:  :cobblestone:  :cobblestone:

This does, however, reduce the overall efficiency of your trap, as you're reducing the number of tiles any mob can spawn on. I recommend dealing with Spiders by having 3+ wide canals instead of getting rid of them altogether.

HubertusF

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:05 PM

i can't believe it. i am looking in google for a solution to a problem an the only threads i find ae full of answers like "try google" or "do something else"...

i am looking for a way to make a spawner without those spiders. because i need to. basta.

any ideas?

ive made a black room with 1*1*2 noobtower. but they keep spawning. any ideas?