• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Why is Minecraft so slow on my computer?

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

StAlphonzo

Posted 18 November 2009 - 06:37 PM

When I play Minecraft on my laptop it's really slow, the only way I can play it is with render distance on short. Now, I don't have a very fast laptop, in fact it's pretty slow, but it runs games requiring half-decent graphics fine. The Minecraft graphics look all but complex so it should be running fine.
I don't think I'm the only one with this problem (am I?), is there a chance this will ever be fixed? Or is it the limitations of Java?

Register or log in to remove.

Ulrich200

Posted 18 November 2009 - 06:46 PM

People look at minecraft and think it will run on any computer. They never stop to think about the number of vertices each map requires. and yes, vertices are part of the graphics.
Minecraft Name: KakashiSuno

I'm known as Kakashi, Kaka, KS, and the Coal Ninja =)

meizlizard
  • Minecraft: meizlizard

Posted 18 November 2009 - 06:58 PM

I’ve found it tends to run slower on laptops than it does on desktops, regardless of specs. It might have something to do with integrated graphics on laptops, but I don’t know the extent to which Minecraft uses it. I’ve found I get better framerates the cooler my laptop is, so being in a cold room or keeping the heating off in the winter can actually help a lot. Also, Java on OS-X is slower than Java on XP, so if you have a mac with bootcamp you can boot onto windows for faster framerates.

Zuriki
    Zuriki

Forum/Wiki Sponsor

• Curse Premium
  • 5317 posts
  • Minecraft: gdscei

Posted 18 November 2009 - 07:10 PM

I’ve found it tends to run slower on laptops than it does on desktops, regardless of specs. It might have something to do with integrated graphics on laptops, but I don’t know the extent to which Minecraft uses it. I’ve found I get better framerates the cooler my laptop is, so being in a cold room or keeping the heating off in the winter can actually help a lot. Also, Java on OS-X is slower than Java on XP, so if you have a mac with bootcamp you can boot onto windows for faster framerates.
Minecraft relies on the GPU for ALL rendering. It uses OpenGL 1.1

ßeta
    ßeta

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:04 PM

in fact, running minecraft on a laptop can be very bad. you should buy a pc or a better laptop.

note: laptops are usually slow and only made to work (e.g. writing, etc,).

Jakh33
    Jakh33

Tree Puncher

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 03:08 PM

not all laptops are made for just work, you can get gaming laptops as well, useful for people who need to move around a lot

RecQuery
    RecQuery

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 04:03 PM

My XPS gaming laptop disagrees, it out performs a lot of desktops.

Tjaden
    Tjaden

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 04:11 PM

Follow this guide MC ran fine on my laptop then i followed this guide and it runs even faster now and works incredibly well.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=26219
Posted Image

Magmaguy
    Magmaguy

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 06:07 PM

meizlizard said:

I completely agree with you. I have a 5 yrs old laptop, quite good for the time but now getting really old, and I noticed that while the laptop is cool, I can run the game at 60 fps max, and 30 fps min. 5 minutes later, when my computer starts melting, I'm running at around 2-3 fps, and have errors like crashing, freezing, double-clicking (that is VERY annoying) and lag to the point that I have to wait a couple of minutes in order for me to be able to resume playing.

This is very annoying because I have put hundreds of hours into the game, and now I am almost not able to play it anymore... I think I need a new computer, but I'll have to wait 3 months to get it...

Oh well, back to CSS.

PS: If someone finds a way (mod, settings or other) to speed up Minecraft, I'd appreciate it if you told me. I really enjoy playing that game, and I'm sad to be forced to play any other game due to the computer requirements.

LilPuddinTatur

Posted 13 April 2011 - 05:16 PM

It's laggy period for me right now, its like im blowing up 1000 TNT when ever i run it. So i can't even play it.

DizzyRaps

Posted 30 May 2011 - 02:22 AM

I'm having this same problem with my laptop, it's in a cool room, it's brand new, i'm not using much memory and i can't play. It laggs so badly that even when i turn down my frame rate, it freezes when i hit a button, and i have to wait a couple minutes to move and freeze again. When i first started with MineCraft, it worked perfectly, but now it's super slow and i can't play. Any help? Don't reply with "Buy a new computer" because i'm flat broke atm.

spectre007_007
  • Minecraft: spectre007

Posted 09 July 2011 - 08:59 AM

Maybe this link can help you:

windows7themes.net/how-to-make-minecraft-run-faster-less-laggy.html
If you think I have been helpful, don't forget to support me by pressing the little green plus button!

zwinky5888

Posted 14 September 2011 - 10:11 PM

Ok, so my new Desktop lags, here are specs

AMD Athlon II X4 645 Quad-core Processor

NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE

4GB DDR3 Memory

kiahn101
    kiahn101

Newly Spawned

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 02:29 AM

View PostUlrich200, on 18 November 2009 - 06:46 PM, said:

People look at minecraft and think it will run on any computer. They never stop to think about the number of vertices each map requires. and yes, vertices are part of the graphics.

I dont really have lag, but I will freeze every 2 seconds, move fine, then freeze for 0.5 seconds. Its so annoying after a while. Even after setting all my options to 0.0 which really bothers me because I cant see far without laggin out. <_<

Gazbirt
    Gazbirt

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Minecraft: Gazbirt

Posted 19 September 2011 - 10:12 PM

View PostJakh33, on 17 September 2010 - 03:08 PM, said:

not all laptops are made for just work, you can get gaming laptops as well, useful for people who need to move around a lot

Anyone who thinks a laptop is for gaming is just showing their lack of computer intelligence.

rathalos269

Posted 08 October 2011 - 09:16 PM

My sister has a very slow Toshiba Laptop that, for obvious reasons, ran slow. It was not a gaming laptop but yet, it still ran Minecraft somewhat better then my desktop. I'm not saying that laptops are for gaming but, this proves that some of them overpass (in a way(sometimes)) desktops. Just my opinion.

PlumberLuigi

Posted 08 October 2011 - 09:33 PM

If your ever going to use a laptop for anything, don't use it for gaming.  If you're going to ever use a computer for gaming, get a desktop.  They have more room for larger components meaning that you can fit more powerful processors, graphics cards, and more RAM.

Fantomdeath

Posted 18 October 2011 - 05:14 PM

Oh my god all you guys are stubborn, I've played minecraft on tons of different laptops, gaming or not. The specs they had should have been able to handle it, but they don't.
Laptops just simply suck on laptops, I have found no fix for this

its me peardude
  • Minecraft: peardude

Posted 18 October 2011 - 07:52 PM

It could be that your laptop dosen't have enough memory. also i find minecraft runs smoother on multiplayer than on singleplayer.
All I want for Christmas is feeesh!

Radicool21

Posted 25 October 2011 - 04:03 PM

View PostTjaden, on 17 September 2010 - 04:11 PM, said:

Follow this guide MC ran fine on my laptop then i followed this guide and it runs even faster now and works incredibly well.

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.minecraft...t=26219</a><!-- l -->

You cannot access your help guide