• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

runici
    runici

Carpenter

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 11:09 PM

i've looked around and i can't really find what im having trouble with..

i started a server to play on with my friends but i can't get it connected to the interwebz (im not really sure how it works :Pig:). i know that my port is open because i checked using portforward.com's port checker. i tried using the ip that i got at http://www.findmyip.com/ but when i tried it, minecraft said that the connection refused. i know that it's running while i try opening it in minecraft, and i can play perfectly fine when i try localhost. i allowed the exception in mcafee, and like i said, i know that the port is open.

did i just get my ip wrong or what?

Register or log in to remove.

chuckaknuckle

Posted 02 May 2011 - 11:10 PM

Be sure server-ip is blank in the properties file.

McAfee may still be blocking stuff.

I'm retired from this forum.

runici
    runici

Carpenter

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 11:51 PM

@chuckle: what else could mcafee be blocking? portforward clearly states that my port is up and ready to go, what else would i need to know?

@ian: bro thats the same thing, just more.."in depth", i guess.

the ip that i received from that website (whichever your preference is) is what i have to give to my friends when they want to connect to my server, right??

chuckaknuckle

Posted 03 May 2011 - 12:03 AM

McAfee could still be blocking some aspects of Java, or Minecraft.

Adorey
    Adorey

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 12:05 AM

Wait, the IP part needs to be blank for people to get in? I thought you put your IP in it.

chuckaknuckle

Posted 03 May 2011 - 12:06 AM

Adorey said:

Wait, the IP part needs to be blank for people to get in? I thought you put your IP in it.
Leave it blank. Reasoning: If your ip changes for some reason, it will still try and use the ip you specify.

runici
    runici

Carpenter

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 12:30 AM

this really isn't helping, what should i do at this point?

when i turn mcafee off completely, the server still can't connect to outside users.

chuckaknuckle

Posted 03 May 2011 - 12:48 AM

So are you trying to connect to your own server with your external ip? If so, that won't work. Your friends should be the ones that use the external ip. You should only use localhost.

runici
    runici

Carpenter

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 01:04 AM

no, all i use is localhost. im having a friend test it to no avail

chuckaknuckle

Posted 03 May 2011 - 01:28 AM

I'm guessing that if you actually uninstall McAfee (which is crap anyway), the server would work. I use Microsoft Security Essentials as my antivirus, which is entirely free.

runici
    runici

Carpenter

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 10:06 PM

im sorry for being a complete idiot, but it turns out i forgot to add the :25565 to the end of the ip :P sorry! quick question, is there any way to change that ip? or at least a way that i dont have to tell anybody my ip and they can still connect?

chuckaknuckle

Posted 03 May 2011 - 10:08 PM

http://www.dyndns.co...ces/dns/dyndns/

runici
    runici

Carpenter

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 10:35 PM

sorry to keep bugging with questions..but is there a way to make it more..normal? i mean, its more commercialized than i'd like :P

also, if not the above, how do i add ports to the host i want to make on dyndns?

chuckaknuckle

Posted 03 May 2011 - 10:44 PM

Nope, not a way to make it more normal.

It's free to use. I suggest getting a hostname with the ending of "dyndns.org" (shows up on the list when you make the hostname).

If you're using the default port for the server, you don't need to specify the port on the end.

Like for example, you would only type testserver.dyndns.org into the game client.

runici
    runici

Carpenter

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 10:49 PM

the default port being 25565? the only information that i had to enter was a name for the host and my ip..why doesn't is need the port?

chuckaknuckle

Posted 04 May 2011 - 12:50 AM

The hostname points to your ip address, not a port.

Whenever you type the hostname into the game client, instead of an ip address, the game client automatically looks for a port open on the hostname/ip you type in.

runici
    runici

Carpenter

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:51 AM

ahh, gotchyah...also thanks! you've been a huge help!