6 replies to this topic

hosick
    hosick

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 03:26 PM

Hi.
I've just spent 1-2 weeks building the walls of a big castle, but i need floor.
I want to use planks for the floor inside, but i don't want to have torches absolutely everywhere. So can hostile mobs spawn on planks? I am 99% certain non-hostile and neutral can't either.

Thanks. Please respond ASAP because i am gathering the wood as you read this.

:-)

Oh, and if they CAN spawn on planks, is there anything they CAN'T spawn on?

Register or log in to remove.

Lord Vetinari

Posted 02 May 2011 - 03:45 PM

Yes. The only blocks that prevent monster from spawning are the trasparent one, which, coming to things that you can build legitimately, basically means glass and half slabs (not the double ones).

Vanilla neutral mobs (I mean those that are not added by a mod) require grass to spawn, so anything, not just planks, will stop them from spawning.

hosick
    hosick

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 04:38 PM

Thanks for that. I've just used planks for the flooring anyway. I'll keep it lit up.

But i just realised that the roof (or most of it) has been up for at least a few days, with me playing hours a everyday, but not one mob has spawned on it.
It's near pitch-black 32x30 cobblestone but nothing has spawned. Any idea why this is?

Also, is there a way to rid myself of the plague of sheep permanently gathered around my castle??

Lord Vetinari

Posted 02 May 2011 - 05:00 PM

Were you inside or near the house? Monsters can't spawn within a 20 something block radius from you (unless you use beds, which are kinda bugged).

Keep in mind, however, that monster can and will come closer with their random wandering and spiders can climb wall, so don't expect your roof to be always 100% safe unless you take countermesures like a small lip on the wall. It also depends on your sorroundings (something overhanging on your roof, like a cliff, for example, may lead monsters to fall on top op your house).

For the sheep, the problem is that neutral mobs require light and grass. During the night, your garden is the only lit place in the neighborhood, so it will spawn all the neutrals that in daytime are normally scattered around the chunk.

There's nothing you can do, unfortunatly, unless you choose to get rid of most of the grass. Try searching in the mods section, maybe there's something.

iezza
    iezza

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 05:23 PM

Press F3 to check if theres mobs nearby(it shows a text above their head)
Free Minecraft Subscriptions.

Ultimohobo said:

I already make my own hotdogs. Wolves are delicious, and there so much lava around...

Ultimohobo

Posted 02 May 2011 - 05:45 PM

Alternatively use wooden half blocks. No mobs spawn on half blocks.

onyxe
    onyxe

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 02:14 AM

Yeah... Beds...
I was in a 2x2 room, fully lit, 1 bed, 1 chest. only 1 spare spot... and a skel spawned.
fml lol