• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Alienware M17x or Alienware M14x?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Shortanimationz

Posted 02 May 2011 - 03:07 AM

Which one will run Minecraft (along with other games) better? Also, which one should I get (Not talking about the price)

Dell Alienware M14X Full Specifications
Intel Core i7 2.4Ghz Processor
14.0 inch HD display (1600×900)
Genuine Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit OS
Up to 750GB SATA hard drive (7200RPM) or 256GB Solid State Drive
8GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz
3072MB NVIDIA GeForce GT555M Graphics
Internal High-Definition 5.1 Performance Audio with SoundBlaster X-Fi Audio
7.1 Digtial Audio out using HDMI connection
High Capacity 8-cell Lithium Ion (63whr)
2.0 Megapixel HD Video and Picture Camera with microphones
Wifi and Bluetooth 3.0
Gigabit Ethernet
USB,HDMI and Card Reader ports
Optional 3G or 4G (LTE or WiMAX)

Alienware M17X : http://support.dell.... ... /cs_en.pdf
'The Nap Server' Owner.

Register or log in to remove.

KaseiFox
    KaseiFox

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 03:55 AM

You can customize the specs, so it depends on whether you want a 14 inch screen or 17 inch screen. I currently have an m17x R0, and it can run crysis 2 on advanced settings with no lag at all. The crysis 2 MP demo can run at hardcore settings.

UltraJake
    UltraJake

Glowstone Miner

• Members
  • 3471 posts
  • Minecraft: UltraJake

Posted 02 May 2011 - 04:02 AM

M17x or M14x?

Given that 17 is a bigger number than 14 without even looking I would have to assume that the M17x is better. They would both run Minecraft and other games very well though.

Posted Image

BluShine
  • Minecraft: BluShine

Posted 02 May 2011 - 05:26 AM

I've never been a fan of Alienware laptops.  They're bulky and hard to use.  I would suggest you just get a desktop for gaming and a cheap laptop or netbook for when you're on the go.  A desktop with the same specs as those two laptops will be half the price anyways, and much easier to upgrade.  

If that hasn't convinced you not to get an expensive laptop, I suggest you watch this video:
OpCJzdWxEbQ
Working on a Sphax BDcraft patch for the mod Ars Magica here.

Satharis
    Satharis

End Dweller

• Members
  • 6541 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 05:28 AM

Get an Asus laptop from newegg, pretend Alienware doesn't exist.

Alienware = glowy paperweights.
That one dragon coding thingy.

BluShine
  • Minecraft: BluShine

Posted 02 May 2011 - 05:32 AM

Satharis said:

Get an Asus laptop from newegg, pretend Alienware doesn't exist.

Alienware = glowy paperweights.

Ooh, yeah.  I forgot about Newegg.com.  They have great deals on computer stuff.  That's where I bought the computer I'm using right now!
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834220996
Here's something similar to that Alienware computer you posted, but with less flashy lights and more power (cheaper, too)
Working on a Sphax BDcraft patch for the mod Ars Magica here.

xTin0x
    xTin0x

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 499 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 07:58 AM

If your main concern is gaming, then go for a desktop. Laptops aren't for gaming! Unless you are some kind of MLG and actually NEED to game everywhere (even in this situation is ridiculous to get a laptop), or if you are... IDK a pretty popular youtube director and play games for living. Otherwise, it's a waste of money.
Now, if you are stubborn and still wanna get your laptop... just follow the advice mentioned above, it seems like a pretty good deal!
Check out my Youtube Channel for some Minecraft Tutorials!
Posted Image

RLS0812
    RLS0812

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 993 posts
  • Minecraft: RLS0812

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:43 AM

Laptops are starting to catch up to desktops as far as gaming capabilities ....

Anyway ....

You would spend 1/2 the cash for the same stuff if you bought the parts and put the computer together yourself.

Alienware is nothing more than overpriced custom built computers.   :Pig:

Posted Image

Riddley
    Riddley

Carpenter

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 10:47 AM

xTin0x said:

If your main concern is gaming, then go for a desktop. Laptops aren't for gaming!

This simply isn't true. I'm a college student and use my asus g53j for both gaming and schoolwork. On the gaming end, it handles every single game I throw at it with great performance.

As to the OP, don't bother with alienware. You can get the same (or better) hardware by shopping around on newegg. Asus has some really great laptops that are considerably cheaper and offer comparable power.

Mag1cN1nja

Posted 02 May 2011 - 12:32 PM

Heres my two cents. I built my computer from the ground up for under 600$ all parts bought from newegg. And it just about handles just about every game i throw at it (need new graphics card XD) Not to mention it looks beautiful. Don't get a laptop. Not worth the money or frustration. Also ASUS laptops are nothing but problems as well. I repaired plenty of them. (back light gone bad, melted graphics card, etc....) So do yourself a favor. Order parts from newegg and build your own gaming tower. All your really paying for with a laptop is how its compact and the time the factory took to build it.

Reppin the hatchet for life

Mag1cN1nja's Minimalistic GUI

darknessninja575

Posted 02 May 2011 - 01:51 PM

do you need to know how to put together computers, or can anyone just pick it up and do it
Posted Image [SSSS]

Mag1cN1nja

Posted 02 May 2011 - 02:20 PM

darknessninja575 said:

do you need to know how to put together computers, or can anyone just pick it up and do it

That a difficult question to answer based on multiple factors. You got to know what parts do what and whats compatible with what. Meaning you have to do leg work and research on that. It isnt something anyone can just pick up and do because not everyone would understand how to do it. With me i just did my research on the parts and ordered them and figured out how everything went together. Haven't had a problem since. I also been doing IT work for about 6 years now. So i also have that experience under my belt. Not trying to toot my own horn here just giving an example.

For someone who just wants to build a computer and has no prior knowledge of how to do it. I'd say take your time. Look at youtube videos on how to build a computer. Call local computer stores and ask questions. Do research on parts and order them. Then build with excruciating detail. It's really easy to fry the motherboard or processor if you don't fully understand what your doing when your building a computer. Also if you have any specific questions feel free to pm me.

Reppin the hatchet for life

Mag1cN1nja's Minimalistic GUI

xTin0x
    xTin0x

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 499 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 03:59 PM

Riddley said:

xTin0x said:

If your main concern is gaming, then go for a desktop. Laptops aren't for gaming!

This simply isn't true. I'm a college student and use my asus g53j for both gaming and schoolwork. On the gaming end, it handles every single game I throw at it with great performance.

As to the OP, don't bother with alienware. You can get the same (or better) hardware by shopping around on newegg. Asus has some really great laptops that are considerably cheaper and offer comparable power.

I think you misunderstood me, or maybe I just didn't express myself clearly. What I was trying to say is that if your main concern is having a gaming computer, then desktops are your best option. I have a VAIO VPCCA17FL and I use that for gaming and schoolwork as well, and it runs almost every game I run on it with a good performance. But if I had to choose between a laptop or a desktop for gaming, then I'll go for the desktop. If you want your computer for other stuff as well, then go for laptop which is much more versatile.
Posted Image

nereksnad

Posted 02 May 2011 - 06:44 PM

don't ever purchase something from Alienware. i've never heard anyone that had a good experiance with Alienware, quite possibly because it's owned by Dell. it's well known where i live atleast, that Alienware and Dell aren't any good.

xTin0x
    xTin0x

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 499 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 07:17 PM

nereksnad said:

don't ever purchase something from Alienware. i've never heard anyone that had a good experiance with Alienware, quite possibly because it's owned by Dell. it's well known where i live atleast, that Alienware and Dell aren't any good.
where I live dell has probably the best customer service you can find... so alienware is actually a good option. Also their prices are slightly cheaper than some deals you may get in big stores. But that doesn't mean that there aren't cheaper deals than dell.... That's just here anyways.
Posted Image

Satharis
    Satharis

End Dweller

• Members
  • 6541 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 07:33 PM

xTin0x said:

nereksnad said:

where I live dell has probably the best customer service you can find... so alienware is actually a good option. Also their prices are slightly cheaper than some deals you may get in big stores. But that doesn't mean that there aren't cheaper deals than dell.... That's just here anyways.

Dell isn't the same as alienware, alienware is their 'super expensive online branch.'

Dell, by nature, is just another big brand mass producing office computer company like Gateway, HP, etc. Their comps are built cheap and fast so i wouldn't be surprised if they weren't very cheap in your area, they are in most places.

Alienware on the other hand, is their bad attempt at gaming computers, they use rather underpowered parts, charge you 3x the value and stick it in a flashy case, i've also heard alot of reports of shoddy workmanship.

Short version, they're Mcdonalds for gaming PC's.
That one dragon coding thingy.

xTin0x
    xTin0x

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 499 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 07:46 PM

Satharis said:

xTin0x said:

nereksnad said:

Dell isn't the same as alienware, alienware is their 'super expensive online branch.'

Dell, by nature, is just another big brand mass producing office computer company like Gateway, HP, etc. Their comps are built cheap and fast so i wouldn't be surprised if they weren't very cheap in your area, they are in most places.

Alienware on the other hand, is their bad attempt at gaming computers, they use rather underpowered parts, charge you 3x the value and stick it in a flashy case, i've also heard alot of reports of shoddy workmanship.

Short version, they're Mcdonalds for gaming PC's.

yeah, I know... but however if you want a gaming laptop (not so sure about the desktops as it is always cheaper to build it yourself) it is SLIGHTLY cheaper than most of other stores...
Whatever, this is offtopic. Where this guy lives I think he can find much better deals, for both desktops and laptops.
Posted Image

Fredfredbug4

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:07 PM

Both are overpriced, overrated, and fragile.

Get any of the high end Dells. Same price more powerful and will last you for years.
Posted Image

shoonx
    shoonx

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:09 PM

I have an M17x.

I can run full graphics with a 256x Texture Pack with no lag.

Enoch
    Enoch

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:28 PM

Build a desktop. It's actually really easy, and you don't have all the pre-installed BS apps from manufacturers...

Find a good mother board, and build from there.