• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Pw10
    Pw10

Carpenter

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 11:16 PM

Hi, im new to minecraft forums and and I was looking on youtube and found this awesome mod called industrial craft.  But I heard mods can really mess up your computer.  I've never installed a mod before, and I really want industrial craft, but Im worrried about what it might do to my computer.  So I have a few questions:

1.  What are the risks in getting industial craft, and all the mod software I have to install to get it?
2. How do I get it?  I've never installed a mod before so i have no experiance
3.  How can I make my server work with industrial craft?
4.  If i get my server to work with industrial craft, do my friends have to get it as well to play on the server?
5.  How do I create a "backup folder?"

I would really appreciate it if somebody answered these.   ^_^  full of  :Spider:  if you help me
BTW, I have a Windows computer... consider that for the questions

Register or log in to remove.

Gringo_Starr

Posted 29 April 2011 - 11:22 PM

It won't "mess up your computer", however it might have bugs or incompatibilities with other mods, and if you remove it your wolds won't necessarily be compatible with vanilla (un-modded) Minecraft. Mods will also stop working with every new update to the game, so you'll have to be prepared to wait for an updated version of the mod whenever Mojang release even a small bug-fix patch.

Only mods specified to work in multi-player will work on your server. Likewise, you may have problems trying to connect to a multiplayer server when your client has a mod installed.

For installation, read the instructions provided with the mod.

View PostPhoinex567, on 19 March 2012 - 01:45 PM, said:

Hm I Want To Make A Endless age like minecraft But I Want it to be diffrent I'm thinking And I know It's gonna Have Something from like A diffrent game But Kinda Has Like Other Stuff Completely Diffrent I Got To think.

Pw10
    Pw10

Carpenter

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 11:28 PM

Gringo_Starr said:

It won't "mess up your computer", however it might have bugs or incompatibilities with other mods, and if you remove it your wolds won't necessarily be compatible with vanilla (un-modded) Minecraft. Mods will also stop working with every new update to the game, so you'll have to be prepared to wait for an updated version of the mod whenever Mojang release even a small bug-fix patch.

Only mods specified to work in multi-player will work on your server. Likewise, you may have problems trying to connect to a multiplayer server when your client has a mod installed.

For installation, read the instructions provided with the mod.
Thanks.  But the installation still doesnt make any sense to me.  It says I have to get ModLoader.  Is that safe for my computer?  If so, I think im good from there
:D  with  :Diamond:  for you

Gringo_Starr

Posted 29 April 2011 - 11:34 PM

Yes, Modloader if fine - it's just a mod for Minecraft that makes it easier for certain mods to work together.

View PostPhoinex567, on 19 March 2012 - 01:45 PM, said:

Hm I Want To Make A Endless age like minecraft But I Want it to be diffrent I'm thinking And I know It's gonna Have Something from like A diffrent game But Kinda Has Like Other Stuff Completely Diffrent I Got To think.

Pw10
    Pw10

Carpenter

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 11:42 PM

Industrial Craft, Here I come!  btw, i still dont know how to make a backup folder in case something goes horrificly wrong

Newtkiller17

Posted 30 April 2011 - 12:23 AM

If you are using windows go to the search box at the bottom of the start menu (The run option on windows XP or older) and type %appdata%.  inside the folder that opens up there is a .minecraft folder.  Open that and copy your .bin folder somewhere safe on your computer, if your mod breaks and makes minecraft become inoperable simply replace the now broken .bin folder with the one you backed up earlier and you're back to a "vanilla" minecraft.

Pw10
    Pw10

Carpenter

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 01:07 AM

ok... I tried to get the mod but it didnt work.  Heres exactly what i did
1.  I downloaded WinRAR
2.  I went to the Modloader page and pressed direct download, saved it to a new folder
3.  I went to downlado Modloader MP, but the Idustrial craft page said to download it from a different link.  So I did and saved to the same folder.
4.  I downloaded the actual mod, saved to the same foldwe
5.  I opened the bin folder.
6.  I extrated ModLoader, and dragged all the files to the bin folder
7.  I extracted ModLoader MP, did the same
8.  I extracted Industry Craft, opened the minecraft folder, and dragged the files to the bin
9.  I deleted that file that was in all caps (forgot what its called)
10:  I tried opening up minecraft, made a new world, and tried crafting an item from the mod, but it didnt work, which probably means I messed up somewhere.  Help?

zhriz
    zhriz

End Dweller

• Members
  • 7299 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 02:48 AM

Correct steps for singleplayer:

1. Install WINrar
2. Download the current version of the mod you would like. (IndustrialCraft)
3. Extract all contents to an easy-to-access location. (ex: Desktop)
4. Go to (For Windows XP) Start>Run>%appdata%> .minecraft> bin> minecraft.jar
5. Right click minecraft.jar and select Open with.. and press winrar archiver.
6. Open up the extracted mod folders, and drag all of the .class files into the minecraft.jar (The .class files and folders are all located in the "minecraft" folder of the downloaded file.) that is opened up with winrar.
7. Close the minecraft.jar winrar window, and then simply run minecraft.
8.??????
9. PROFIT

Also, when adding the .class files into the winrar folder, MAKE SURE THAT MINECRAFT (THE GAME) IS CLOSED!

On the other hand, for the SERVER mod, i have absolutely NO IDEA what to do.  O.o
the sky is falling the wind is calling stand for something or die in the morning
section 80
high power