• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Kaejer
    Kaejer

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 10:07 PM

I think it would be great if the Minecraft_Server.exe had an option to be able to make it start correctly on a computer startup. I have a few friends that host servers that think it would be great to have since they also host their servers on their personal computer.

I host the server on my personal computer and it frequently has to restart for updates and such, which I always have to start the server back up, but sometimes I forget. Also sometimes when I'm away for a longer period of time it makes it difficult to start the server back up if it has to restart on its own.

I've messed with some shell start up stuff, but it seems to explode whenever I make the Minecraft Server load on startup. I thought about doing something like a virtual machine or using a remote desktop to access my computer, but those aren't really complete solutions to my problem.

Register or log in to remove.

Badprenup
    Badprenup

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 10984 posts
  • Minecraft: Badprenup

Posted 27 April 2011 - 10:16 PM

Interesting idea. Have you tried using a shell to run a batch file that starts the program after a delay, so it isn't trying to run while other things are opening? I think that may be the problem. Just look into Command prompt commands and how to make batch files.
Looks like my free time is going to be divided equally between Minecraft suggestions and Starbound suggestions from now on.

Kaejer
    Kaejer

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 10:43 PM

I'll look that up, my theory was that it was starting before Java was loaded, but I don't know enough to know if that makes sense. Hopefully the pause before startup thing will work well :D.

Basically the server would load up and have an infinite loop of trying to replace server properties (and failing).

Kaejer
    Kaejer

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 02:57 AM

Lol, I feel like an idiot now. After getting all of this set up correctly with tons of weird errors I got it to start up after a couple of minutes. Then when I dropped it into the shell startup folder, I realized when I previous tried this I had made a copy of Minecraft_Server.exe rather than a shortcut. That's why it was having a billion errors cause it was trying to create a ton of stuff in the startup folder. Dropping the shortcut into the startup folder worked perfectly on startup... so yea.