15 replies to this topic

Scythee
    Scythee

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1253 posts
  • Minecraft: coolash3

Posted 27 April 2011 - 06:45 PM

Its taking up 187,000 CPU memory at the moment, and its slowing down my laptop loads.. Why do they take up so much?

Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

JohnTheRipper

Posted 27 April 2011 - 06:46 PM

killercomp said:

Its taking up 187,000 CPU memory at the moment, and its slowing down my laptop loads.. Why do they take up so much?
Uh...

Do you know what CPU and RAM is?
i7-3770K @ 4.5GHz, Hyper 212 Evo, 16GB 1600MHz RAM, Z77X-UD5H, GTX 670 OC, 256GB 840 Pro, 2TB + 500GB HDDs, Fractal R4, HX750 (with bonus fan noise), Dell U2713HM.

Please read the rules!
Global | Discussion | MnM | Other Platforms | Servers | Support | SyC | Off Topic
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” — Albert Einstein
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig." — Robert Heinlein

Posted Image

Scythee
    Scythee

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1253 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 06:49 PM

battlekid said:

killercomp said:

Uh...

Yep.. RAMS how fast your computer is and CPU is like how many programmes running and how much it takes up
And its firefox, same with chrome

Posted Image

Yourself
    Yourself

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 4086 posts
  • Minecraft: Yourself

Posted 27 April 2011 - 06:51 PM

killercomp said:

battlekid said:

killercomp said:

Uh...

Yep.. RAMS how fast your computer is and CPU is like how many programmes running and how much it takes up

Well, answered that question.
Never attribute to malice what can adequately be explained by incompetence.

IVI4tt
    IVI4tt

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1905 posts
  • Minecraft: IVI4tt

Posted 27 April 2011 - 06:53 PM

That's barely any memory at all.
Chrome uses ~150MB which is barely at tax at all.
I can understand why you'd be worried if you had 512MB of RAM, but that's seriously outdated

TL;DR It's normal, buy a better computer

FAKEEDIT:

Killacomp said:

Wrong!
The CPU % is how much of the computer's processor is being used. That's where all the fancy maths is done and it's a good guess at PC speed.
The RAM determines how many different things you can do at once.
Posted Image
Come check out Snowblind, my adventure map!

Scythee
    Scythee

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1253 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 06:54 PM

Do any of you know what it could be though? I never had a problem before, but now suddenly say I have a browser up AND minecraft, It will go really laggy, so Ill quit it and then when I go to start menu or task menu it will be REALLY slow.. And its really annoying.
Oh and plus I have 3gb ram, so its not the laptop
Oh x2, im not here to find out about ram and CPU, im here to wonder why this is happening.

Posted Image

baggerboot
    baggerboot

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 4866 posts
  • Minecraft: baggerboot

Posted 27 April 2011 - 06:54 PM

killercomp said:

battlekid said:

killercomp said:

Uh...

RAM is Random Acces Memory, temporary memory which the computer can use very quickly.
CPU is Cental Processing Unit, the part of the computer that actually makes everything happen.
~$

Scythee
    Scythee

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1253 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 06:58 PM

IXIArblargIXI said:

killercomp said:

Do any of you know what it could be though? I never had a problem before, but now suddenly say I have a browser up AND minecraft, It will go really laggy, so Ill quit it and then when I go to start menu or task menu it will be REALLY slow.. And its really annoying.
Oh and plus I have 3gb ram, so its not the laptop
Oh x2, im not here to find out about ram and CPU, im here to wonder why this is happening.

What OS are you running. Non 64 bit doesn't allow all the allotted RAM to be used.
Minecraft (or rather java) takes up in excess of 512 Mb ram if you allow it to, mines gotten well over 1GB.

Like we've all said though, I don't think RAM is your issue here, its more than likely your processor. What are the specs on that.
Windows 7 64-bit
My processor is a single core 1.6 ghz, i know it sucks but its been fine for way over a year.

Posted Image

Scythee
    Scythee

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1253 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 07:05 PM

IXIArblargIXI said:

RAM is not your problem, its your processor.
Laptops seldom can be upgraded, but if you bought yours from a major company, look into a processor upgrade. If that 1.6 GHz is a multi core, then christ fuck. Multi cores are great for running a ton of programs, but solid (single) cores are much better at running one dedicated process. I don't think that MC has a specified specs requirement, but 1.6GHz processor definitely wont cut it. With a computer like that, you're lucky to be running minecraft at all.
I do know, your talking to me like I know nothing about processors etc. :Notch:
I'm looking into upgrading the processor but I doubt I can as it's an Acer Laptop and I don't think you can upgade laptops.. or only a few which sucks.. thanks though.

Posted Image

Dantevortex
  • Minecraft: dantevortex

Posted 27 April 2011 - 07:06 PM

My CPU has 4 x 512KB L1 Cache RAM. 8 MB L2

SO yes, a CPU does have memory, two types of it even.

Talking about what frequency they run on is talking about the CPU core, not the difference between CPU's and RAM.
Mongoose Craft public vanilla server is now closed, thank you for playing.

Scythee
    Scythee

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1253 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 07:18 PM

IXIArblargIXI said:

Dantevortex said:

My CPU has 4 x 512KB L1 Cache RAM. 8 MB L2

SO yes, a CPU does have memory, two types of it even.

Talking about what frequency they run on is talking about the CPU core, not the difference between CPU's and RAM.
Yes, but not nearly enough as 187MB, unless op somehow has an amazing processor from the year 2050.
If that was the case though, he wouldn't be having issues.

killercomp said:

I do know, your talking to me like I know nothing about processors etc. ;)
I'm looking into upgrading the processor but I doubt I can as it's an Acer Laptop and I don't think you can upgrade laptops.. or only a few which sucks.. thanks though.
If you knew then you wouldn't be asking the off topic section about it, and would have not gotten CPU and RAM mixed up.
Acer is usually pretty good about having upgrades, though I'm not sure they would keep something as old as yours in stock.
If this really is an issue that JUST CAME UP, and you could honestly run youtube + minecraft with no lag (or very little) then you may want to look into a resource eating virus. I don't think that is the case though.
My laptops about 1 and a half old, which is when I bought it of course. I used to be able to run Minecraft on short no fog about 30-40 fps, with the browser and music running,

Posted Image