• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Redstone Generator

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Balstrode

Posted 26 April 2011 - 04:30 PM

I am aware that a thread for steam boilers and wheels already exists, but this is slightly different. When I made a previous suggestion, the point came up that infinite power was overpowered. At the moment, redstone circuits have just that, infinite power. What I am suggesting is to make the power source finite by replacing redstone torches as the power source with the redstone generator.

Essentially, the generator would work almost exactly like the furnace does; you put combustibles in, but instead of a physical product, this produces energy for the circuits connected up to it. Of course, the idea would need some tweaking, maybe fuels could burn comparatively longer in the generator than in the furnace. Torches, of course, would still exist as lights, perhaps stronger than they are at present, but they would not supply power. I'm not sure how this would effect the whole circuitry when people start doing the more advanced things, but surely this would be more realistic?

The formula for the generator would be something like this:

:iapprove: =iron
:GP: =redstone

:SSSS:  :Iron:  :Iron:
:Iron:  :GP:  :Iron:
:Iron:  :Iron:  :Iron:

If you want power, you'll have to lug the generator to the appropriate place. To offset the running costs, maybe the range of the generator's current can be more than the fifteen(?) blocks of redstone torches along with the increased burn time of the fuels.

Register or log in to remove.

TheEvilM
    TheEvilM

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1305 posts
  • Minecraft: TheEvilM

Posted 26 April 2011 - 04:32 PM

Have you ever used complicated redstone circuitry? Let me tell you, it is a BITCH, even for small stuff like a simple button combination lock. HELLZ NO!

View PostLolrscape1, on 24 August 2011 - 12:40 AM, said:

You should buy a cat. Then make a poptart suit for it, and train it to shit rainbows. By the way, I'm high.
Check out the Redstone Megathread: http://www.minecraft...one-megathread/

Cobalt32
    Cobalt32

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2135 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 04:33 PM

Redstone torches, people. Ever heard of them?

Posted Image

Balstrode

Posted 26 April 2011 - 04:34 PM

TheEvilM said:

Have you ever used complicated redstone circuitry? Let me tell you, it is a BITCH, even for small stuff like a simple button combination lock. HELLZ NO!

I have tried to :--+:, tried being the operative word, so I do see the problem. Obviously the idea of the generator is only rough, but I'm sure that with the right tweaks it might be more workable.

Balstrode

Posted 26 April 2011 - 04:35 PM

Cobalt32 said:

I have. I am suggesting that they are overpowered because they supply infinte power, and so need to be replaced with a generator which provides finite power.

Cobalt32
    Cobalt32

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2135 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 04:41 PM

Balstrode said:

Cobalt32 said:

I have. I am suggesting that they are overpowered because they supply infinte power, and so need to be replaced with a generator which provides finite power.

Point seems valid until you realize there's not really that much benefit to infinite power, considering all you can do with Redstone is turn things on or off.

Posted Image

Balstrode

Posted 26 April 2011 - 04:45 PM

Point seems valid until you realize there's not really that much benefit to infinite power, considering all you can do with Redstone is turn things on or off.

I do see what you mean, but even then, it can still have massive consequences. You wouldn't be able to, for instance, keep lights running indefinitely without a fuel source. 'Active' type security systems too would cease to function without energy. Even the new powered rail would need a constant supply of fuel to stop it from switching to 'brakes' mode. There are some things which, more or less, only work with a constant supply of power, something which the current system makes you take for granted.

Cobalt32
    Cobalt32

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2135 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 04:46 PM

Balstrode said:

I do see what you mean, but even then, it can still have massive consequences. You wouldn't be able to, for instance, keep lights running indefinitely without a fuel source. 'Active' type security systems too would cease to function without energy. Even the new powered rail would need a constant supply of fuel to stop it from switching to 'brakes' mode.

Point, but having to micromanage the fuel supplies of all those sounds like an unnecessary chore.

Posted Image

Balstrode

Posted 26 April 2011 - 04:52 PM

Cobalt32 said:

Point, but having to micromanage the fuel supplies of all those sounds like an unnecessary chore.

I do get you, and to a certain extent I agree; this is a game after all, and reality can't always be at the expense of fun, but on the other side, the more complex your creations get in minecraft (by that, I'm considering using redstone as a fairly advanced thing,) the harder it should be to maintain? I mean, people can build whole cities in minecraft, and yet, if you look at reality, how much does it actually take to make them work? Finite energy is only one aspect of it, and I would only be willing to suggest that amongst other things I could have chosen, but its effect would make players a lot more appreciative of their resources and add that extra dimension to creating things in minecraft.

Cobalt32
    Cobalt32

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2135 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 04:55 PM

Balstrode said:

Cobalt32 said:

I do get you, and to a certain extent I agree; this is a game after all, and reality can't always be at the expense of fun, but on the other side, the more complex your creations get in minecraft (by that, I'm considering using redstone as a fairly advanced thing,) the harder it should be to maintain? I mean, people can build whole cities in minecraft, and yet, if you look at reality, how much does it actually take to make them work? Finite energy is only one aspect of it, and I would only be willing to suggest that amongst other things I could have chosen, but its effect would make players a lot more appreciative of their resources and add that extra dimension to creating things in minecraft.

I see what you mean, but I still think this thing shouldn't replace RT's, or at least could just be a mod for RP servers...

Posted Image

The_Phantom_Potato

Posted 26 April 2011 - 04:58 PM

Finite redstone power? No. Redstone is magic so it can get away with being infinite.

Baraq Hussein Osama said:

Do you show children your phallus? Is that what you want them to see?

themohawkninja said:

Minx90 said:

like you know anything
Well i'm a ninja with a mohawk so STFU!

Cobalt32
    Cobalt32

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2135 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 05:02 PM

The_Phantom_Potato said:

Finite redstone power? No. Redstone is magic so it can get away with being infinite.

Call me a nerd, but I think Redstone might be Piezoelectric, since nearly every input device seems to involve applying pressure of some sort. Not that it matters, really...

BTW Piezoelectric means it generates electricity when crushed, in case you don't know.

Posted Image

The_Phantom_Potato

Posted 26 April 2011 - 05:03 PM

Cobalt32 said:

The_Phantom_Potato said:

Call me a nerd, but I think Redstone might be Piezoelectric, since nearly every input device seems to involve applying pressure of some sort. Not that it matters, really...

BTW Piezoelectric means it generates electricity when crushed, in case you don't know.

Word of God says magic. :iapprove:

themohawkninja said:

Minx90 said:

like you know anything

Cobalt32
    Cobalt32

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2135 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 05:06 PM

The_Phantom_Potato said:

Cobalt32 said:

The_Phantom_Potato said:

Word of God says magic. :D
Technically, you mean Word of Notch, right?

Posted Image

The_Phantom_Potato

Posted 26 April 2011 - 05:15 PM

Cobalt32 said:

Technically, you mean Word of Notch, right?

Nope. =p

themohawkninja said:

Minx90 said:

like you know anything

freeman14

Posted 27 April 2011 - 11:54 PM

Balstrode said:

I am aware that a thread for steam boilers and wheels already exists, but this is slightly different. When I made a previous suggestion, the point came up that infinite power was overpowered. At the moment, redstone circuits have just that, infinite power. What I am suggesting is to make the power source finite by replacing redstone torches as the power source with the redstone generator.

Essentially, the generator would work almost exactly like the furnace does; you put combustibles in, but instead of a physical product, this produces energy for the circuits connected up to it. Of course, the idea would need some tweaking, maybe fuels could burn comparatively longer in the generator than in the furnace. Torches, of course, would still exist as lights, perhaps stronger than they are at present, but they would not supply power. I'm not sure how this would effect the whole circuitry when people start doing the more advanced things, but surely this would be more realistic?

:RFlower: =iron
:Diamond: =redstone

:YFlower:  :Leaves:  :||||:
:Lava:  :Diamond:  :VV:
:Diamond:  :Diamond:  :Diamond:

If you want power, you'll have to lug the generator to the appropriate place. To offset the running costs, maybe the range of the generator's current can be more than the fifteen(?) blocks of redstone torches along with the increased burn time of the fuels.
How about this, since we dont want to get rid of redstone torches, the generator should be able to transmit power and infinte amount of blocks as opposed to 9 from the source with torches, the powered rail would not need as many torches. :Portabella:  :RedShroom:

TheEvilM
    TheEvilM

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1305 posts
  • Minecraft: TheEvilM

Posted 28 April 2011 - 12:49 AM

freeman14 said:

Balstrode said:

:Iron: =iron
:GP: =redstone

:Iron:  :GP:  :Iron:

How about this, since we dont want to get rid of redstone torches, the generator should be able to transmit power and infinte amount of blocks as opposed to 9 from the source with torches, the powered rail would not need as many torches. :Notch:  :SSSS:

Torches do 15.

View PostLolrscape1, on 24 August 2011 - 12:40 AM, said:

You should buy a cat. Then make a poptart suit for it, and train it to shit rainbows. By the way, I'm high.
Check out the Redstone Megathread: http://www.minecraft...one-megathread/

Zachooz
    Zachooz

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 34 posts
  • Minecraft: Zachooz

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:16 AM

Just get tekkit if you want stuff like this

Tizorna
    Tizorna

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1055 posts
  • Minecraft: 000

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:34 AM

i agree with Zachooz on this.
*The Creator of the Rotator thread* (over 90% Support) Click the Rotator picture to Find out more info*Posted Image

PopuliMinistrum

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:36 AM

Posted 26 April 2011 - 10:30 AM

Congrats, Zachooz, you win the necrobump of the year award.
The problem with the truth, is that it never lies.