Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

make trees grow faster?


  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1

xmarcushd

Posted 25 April 2011 - 06:13 AM

I know you can use bonemeal, but i was wondering, can you till the soil and then place a tree on it to make it grow faster?

Register or log in to remove.

#2

Darvince
    Darvince

    Void Walker

  • Members
  • 1615 posts
  • Location: somewhere over the rainbow you can't touch
  • Minecraft: _darvince

Posted 25 April 2011 - 06:18 AM

Then it wont grow at all.

Quote

back for now, unless I get bored with Minecraft and minecraftforum again. also if you see my activity as looking at pony stuff, it's because iI stopped buying into gender stereotypes.

#3

LilCoop
    LilCoop

    Redstone Miner

  • Members
  • 668 posts
  • Location: Green Hill Zone
  • Minecraft: LilCoop

Posted 25 April 2011 - 06:24 AM

place it near water (like within 3-4 blocks) and it will grow pretty quick. It sure seems like it does anyway

#4

loopytop
    loopytop

    Zombie Killer

  • Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 07:00 AM

LilCoop said:

place it near water (like within 3-4 blocks) and it will grow pretty quick. It sure seems like it does anyway

this will not work. the presence of water does not effect tree growth unless it blocks it's path.

If you give a tree more space it will generally grow faster.
Found something awesome? Check this thread before you post!
viewtopic.php?f=1020&t=308316&p=4262481#p4262481

Bump said:

MineCraftFTWChannel said:

bump
What do you want of me?

#5

triggerfin
    triggerfin

    Lapis Lazuli Collector

  • Members
  • 965 posts
  • Minecraft: Tfin

Posted 25 April 2011 - 07:09 AM

More space means more opportunity for growth, but also, more saplings planted means more growth. On the server I play on (we just reset the world) we've got 100 saplings in a farm, and it is just about impossible for one person to cut the trees down fast enough (always replanting) to actually run out of trees to cut. Maybe with a diamond axe....
Fan Metric: Franc Time!

#6

Gop88888

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:26 AM

I'm pretty sure tree's work by every period of time they select a random tree shape, and if it fits the area it grows. Bone meal forces one of these checks (don't quote me on this though). Because birch trees never branch out the random selection will never chose one that takes up alot of space making them grow quickly in confine areas.

#7

GoldenCube123

Posted 16 June 2013 - 03:51 AM

Yes you can! use bonemeal then hold right click at it then other ways right click at the ground and it grows flowers and grass :D i found it here! http://wiki.answers....er_in_minecraft

#8

PewPew1M0arTime
  • Minecraft: PewPew1MoarTime

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:33 AM

The only way is to use bonemeal. But make sure the tree has enough space for growth and is receiving sunlight. The growth mechanics of trees in minecraft is quite interesting. Go check out the wiki!
Posted Image
Hello! My name is Pewpew1moartime on Minecraft, and PP1MT on Steam and Youtube. Pleased to meet you! :D

#9

Denvo5
    Denvo5

    Out of the Water

  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:53 AM

To Make Trees Grow Quickly All You Need To Do Is Give It Lots Of Space And Put It Close To Water

#10

wilum1
    wilum1

    Diamond Miner

  • Members
  • 801 posts
  • Location: London
  • Minecraft: wilum1

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:03 PM

View PostDenvo5, on 16 June 2013 - 11:53 AM, said:

To Make Trees Grow Quickly All You Need To Do Is Give It Lots Of Space And Put It Close To Water

And Start Every Word With A Capital Letter.

Try talking to your trees... That may help? Failing that, just make sure they have lots of space to grow, and light. Put a light source near them so they can grow at night. Water has no effect on trees as far as I know.

#11

xxxxxEcho_13xxxxx

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:09 PM

Just give it lots of space to grow and be free

#12

youlp
    youlp

    Mathematical Dessert

  • Members
  • 314 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:39 PM

View Postwilum1, on 16 June 2013 - 12:03 PM, said:

And Start Every Word With A Capital Letter.

Try talking to your trees... That may help? Failing that, just make sure they have lots of space to grow, and light. Put a light source near them so they can grow at night. Water has no effect on trees as far as I know.
I heard singing polka to them is better. Oh well, I guess I was wrong.

View Posttriggerfin, on 25 April 2011 - 07:09 AM, said:

More space means more opportunity for growth, but also, more saplings planted means more growth. On the server I play on (we just reset the world) we've got 100 saplings in a farm, and it is just about impossible for one person to cut the trees down fast enough (always replanting) to actually run out of trees to cut. Maybe with a diamond axe....
Now I've seen tools on servers where they are enchanted with numbers higher then their max is(Ex. Sharpness 15). I'm not sure how to do it, but ask an admin or somebody.
I absolutely HATE SkyDoesMinecraft. I call gold by its proper name. I always correct people who call it butter or budder (marijuana) because their majestic supreme overlord Sky told them to. I protect squids and I am a proud member of P.E.T.S.  Go Squids! <コ:彡

#13

Schtauffen
    Schtauffen

    Zombie Killer

  • Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 173 posts
  • Location: Minnesota
  • Minecraft: Schtauffen

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:08 PM

I will sum up the mechanics:
1. Each tick the sapling has so much of a chance to grow. Trees require light to grow, so this will always be false at night unless you put a torch or other light source near the sapling. When this becomes positive it
2. Picks tree-dimensions randomly (not sure on distribution here, I feel smaller trees are more likely). The dimensions are on the wiki-- spruce and birch are the easiest to make room for because they can never branch and can be fairly short-- then if that tree fits in the alloted space around the tree it
3. Grows into that tree.

So the best ways to increase growth (without use of bonemeal) are:
1) light up the sapling (typically be placing a torch near it) so it can grow in the night / dark places.
2) make sure the sapling  has ample room.
3) plant many saplings.

I personally don't like huge oaks because its a pain to track down all the branches. By limiting the amount of space (mostly in the height direction) it limits the number branching oaks that spawn (I use height level of 7 directly above the sapling... so the area is 8 high if you include the sapling level)
Currently playing on: -none- (I'm homeless!!! :'()
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#14

AnelReal
    AnelReal

    Zombie Killer

  • Members
  • 186 posts
  • Location: Sarajevo, BiH
  • Minecraft: Arr ? :(

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:50 AM

More light sources. Put torches on every side of the sapling.
Posted Image
If you want to be sure that I read your reply then quote me.

#15

Dante666x

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:14 AM

View PostSchtauffen, on 16 June 2013 - 04:08 PM, said:

I will sum up the mechanics:
1. Each tick the sapling has so much of a chance to grow. Trees require light to grow, so this will always be false at night unless you put a torch or other light source near the sapling. When this becomes positive it
2. Picks tree-dimensions randomly (not sure on distribution here, I feel smaller trees are more likely). The dimensions are on the wiki-- spruce and birch are the easiest to make room for because they can never branch and can be fairly short-- then if that tree fits in the alloted space around the tree it
3. Grows into that tree.

So the best ways to increase growth (without use of bonemeal) are:
1) light up the sapling (typically be placing a torch near it) so it can grow in the night / dark places.
2) make sure the sapling  has ample room.
3) plant many saplings.

I personally don't like huge oaks because its a pain to track down all the branches. By limiting the amount of space (mostly in the height direction) it limits the number branching oaks that spawn (I use height level of 7 directly above the sapling... so the area is 8 high if you include the sapling level)
Epic nugget of wisdom get o: Been wondering how to make those things grow right x.x Annoying as ahell trimming the excess way up in the air x.x